THE BROWNS BOARD

The West Coast Offense and the Effect on the Browns

DaBrowns41

With the announcement of the Mike "Walrus" Holmgren in Cleveland, there's been much talk about the offense that will be run. Holmgren has always ran the Walsh West Coast Offense, while at Green Bay with Brett Favre, and Seattle with Matt Hasselbeck. What does all of this mean though? What is the West Coast Offense, and what's the difference between what we run now and what we will be running? I'm going to break down all of that in the following.

The West Coast Offense (WCO) is an offensive system loosely based on the Air Coryell system established by the Hall of Fame coach Don Coryell. Bill Walsh perfected the system that emphasizes more passing than running. Originated in the 1960's by teams like the Chargers, Raiders, and even Coryell's own Cardinals (St. Louis at the time), the Air Coryell is a system that has been greatly used by teams more and more each season. It was Bill Walsh who perfected what is now called the WCO.

What Personnel is Required for the WCO?

Quarterback- A quarterback in the WCO is supposed to be an efficient passer. A guy that can complete 62% of his passes or better, that specializes in throwing the short-intermediate routes, and can get the ball out quickly after the snap. He needs to be an accurate passer that's also very smart and can make quick reads. In the WCO, the 3 step and 5 step drops are heavily utilized in a quick striking passing game that keeps the defense on it's heels, constantly forcing them to make quick adjustments at the line. A 7-step drop is also something that has to be utilized occasionally to keep the defense honest. Faster linebackers and safeties make it nearly impossible to stick with 5-step drops for an entire game, so often hitch routes, hitch and go's along with crossing patterns are utilized in a 7-step drop. When a defense begins playing up, and compensating for the short patterns over the middle, the offense can catch the defense sleeping and hit a deep route. Scrambling ability for a quarterback is also a plus.

Runningback- A runningback in the WCO needs to be a guy that can catch the ball out of the backfield, and is more a speed runner. A guy that can also hit the hole quickly and be effective between the tackles. Pass blocking isn't as big of a need because of how quickly the QB should be getting the ball out, but it's still something that'd be a bit of a luxury.

Wide Receivers- This is a position just as important as the quarterback. Possession receivers are crucial in the WCO. The WCO requires wide receivers that can catch the ball in traffic, over the middle while having a run after catch (RAC) ability. On the other spectrum, it's crucial to have a deep ball receiver so that the defense can't creep up and shut down the short game. So speed on the outside is a big plus to keep a safety over the top of a WR, and open up the middle of the field. Finally, perfected route running. If the receivers aren't on the same page with the QB and doesn't run crisp routes, then you can kiss any sort of efficiency out the window.

Tight Ends- Another crucial position of the offense, just like the wide receiver position, you need a tight end that can be physical and fight for the ball over the middle. Guys like Jason Witten, Jeremy Shockey (NYG days), Antonio Gates, etc. are all perfect WCO tight ends. Blocking isn't always a strong suit, more just a luxury, as well. RAC ability is nice to have, but glue fingers is the most important part. A TE that can catch everything thrown his way is a HUGE weapon in the WCO.

Offensive Line- The offensive line isn't as complex as the rest of the offense. Agility is the key. Finesse blockers, usually quicker, and a bit lighter are what makes a WCO offense line great. Think Zone Blocking Scheme, but more simple.

Do the current Browns have the personnel for this?

This is yet to be decided. The WCO offense an easy offense to run. However, many people proclaimed that Brady Quinn would be an ideal candidate for a WCO, coming out of Notre Dame. Quinn was very efficient at Notre Dame, and had physical wide receivers and tight ends in a quick striking offense. He flourished with those weapons, while having quicker running backs at Notre Dame. Can he be successful at the NFL level? It is yet to be determined, but he definitely has the skill set to be successful. Quick slants, crossing patterns, flag patterns, etc. over the middle of the field is something that Quinn really did well with in college, and he definitely has the ability. However, he can't be expected to be perfect in his first season running it, as it is a big change in what he's doing right now (assuming he's the QB in 2010). As of now, I'm saying that we have the QB for the WCO. I don't see any options in the draft that would be better than Quinn.

At the runningback position, we are finally finding out what Jerome Harrison is capable of. Harrison is a runner who hits the hole very quickly, can turn a play to the outside and burn linebackers with his speed. He's also very effective out of the backfield as a pass catcher. As of now, I'm saying that we could have a runningback for this system. However, don't rule out C.J. Spiller as he is a game changing RB, and would be available in the first round.

At wide receiver, we have Mohammed Massoquoi, Brian Robiskie, Josh Cribbs, and Chansi Stuckey, along with Mike Furrey (who's seen time at safety as of late). This is the scary part. Massoquoi is not a physical receiver. Often in one on one coverage, he struggles to make a play on the ball. To add to that, his route running is piss poor. Brian Robiskie is still to be decided. He hasn't seen much playing time as his practices have been terrible, and he is struggling to pick up the current offense. He is a more physical receiver, that offers limited RAC ability, but could be a guy that would be utilized heavily in slants and crossing patterns. His route running was very solid at Ohio State, however. Cribbs is just not a wide receiver that can be counted on. He's very special for the WildDawg, reverses and on screen plays, but his forte is special teams, and most likely always will be. Stuckey is a quicker receiver that I cannot see as being a reliable option. This is a big no for having personnel.

At tight end the Browns have had a revolving door. Starting the season Robert Royal was the tight end, followed by a bit of Steve Heiden. Following him was Greg Estandia, then Michael Gaines, and finally Evan Moore. Royal is not an option for the WCO. He's strictly a blocking tight end, with very unreliable hands. Steve Heiden is at the end of his career. While he has excellent hands, it's going to be more of a question as to whether or not he can stay healthy. Estandia and Gaines most likely won't be on the roster next season. The big story here is Evan Moore who just became a Brown in the last 5 weeks or so. His hands have showed quite a bit of promise. Consistency is going to be the question. If Moore can keep it up, he may be able to develop into a nice TE for the Browns. But for now, I'm going to say that we do NOT have the personnel.

Our best offensive lineman in Joe Thomas fits perfectly into this system, protecting the blindside, as does the aging Eric Steinbach. Rookie Alex Mack is also a finesse blocker who's quite athletic as well. The biggest question is the right side. Floyd "Porkchop" Womack is a big question mark, and John St. Clair isn't worth a twinkie. The most important part of the offensive line is in place and ready to go. We just need to find a right side to complete this line and make it a top 5 offensive line in the NFL. We're 3/5 of the way there on the offensive line.

This could be a move in the right direction for the Browns. A quicker offense that is also quick hitting would be a very efficient offense that could keep the defense off the field and eat up time of possession. We have a RB that can excel in counters and traps, and I believe we have a QB that can make the quick throws, and has the intangibles to make smart decisions for us. It's all about execution.

The biggest thing to understand is that this young offense will need time. We also need to hope that we can finally have an off-season with zero QB controversy. We need a QB that can take all the reps in training camp, and learn this offense as quickly as possible for the best success.

Great analysis.

WR and QB are obviously the two biggest concerns. Herein lies the downfall of depending solely on the draft to rebuild. Both of those position players typically need significant time to develop and the rate of "busts" or just guys who never make it is high.

For both of those positions free agency is the way to go with guys who have demonstrated competence who might take it to another level. Getting those guys to play in a place like Cleveland would have been out of the question a few weeks ago but with Holmgren here and potential changes throughout the organization once the season is over, I expect some free agents might actually be eager to be part of the rebuilding process here with Holmgren.

What Personnel is Required for the WCO?

It all starts with the QB and the #1 WR.

No Joe Montana here or Jerry Rice. We tried this before and closest we ever got to Jerry Rice was Kevin Johnson. That being the case we would draft the following guys in round 2:

Dennis Northcutt - biggest wussy I've fetching passes here to date

Quincy Morgan - if he only had hands

Andre Davis - if he could only stay healthy for 2 weeks in a row during his stay in Cleveland

Seems like we spent more time guessing wrong on guys that weren't wired for the WCO, which explains where we went wrong. I think Matt Millen really wanted that WCO offense in Detroit and where did drafting WRs in the upper half of round 1 ever get them?

This might sound a little crackpipe but because we've obvioulsy got a ways to go before we resemble any elite offense. Anyway, I think we're a little CLOSER to resembling those NY Giants offenses where they had WRs that weren't All Stars; a nice target at TE (Evan Moore looks like he can block, catch and remain open). Meanwhile, Harrison kind of reminded me of little Joe Morris while maybe we can call Jennings a poor man's OJ Anderson. Vickers reminds me more of Mo Carthon than a Tom Rathman.

Why take ALL these young, promising players and ask them to be somethign they might not be wired for?

I'm at my wits end with hearing West Coast Offense or 3-4 Defense until I see the freakin personnel to justify it. By the time it takes to get all chess pieces for either - the NFL will be trying to clone the next innovator. The BIGGEST reason Marty Schottenheimer was our most successful Head Coach in my lifetime is because he hired Lindy Infante who was an innovator while he used a 3-4 with LBers like Clay Matthews, Chip Banks, Mike Johnson, Eddie Johnson and stuck an All Pro caliber NT like Golic on the apex to keep them free of blockers. Puzzuli was his quality backup in the rotation. We had a GREAT oline because we had a terrific personnel evaluator.

I sincerely hope there's MORE to Holmgren and his extensive years of experience than just a narrow vision of 1 type of offense. The one thing I really admired about Holmgren as a coach was his attention to detail like blocking, tackling, securing the football, catching the football, vision, quickness, leverage at contact, techniques, and other fundamentals. He's been around enough people that did things right to know the standard of player he wants. I'm hoping to hear we're going to use the style most suited to our personnel, which is politically correct for we don't have Jerry Rice or Joe Montana here AND that doesn't happen over night. Why not give opponents something different to prepare for that they aren't seeign every week in the film room. I can't imagine we have a WCO-ready QB by opening day next year. Think about it - we're throwing an INT to the DB giving our receiver a 15 yard cushion. While I've lost alot of warm and fuzzy for Quinn - at least I know he was trained for that NY Giants style the years he had Weis at Notre Dame. It would seem like a more doable offense for us. When your franchise plays 8 games on a Lake Erie climate - they HAVE to be able to run the ball on wet windy days involving mud. Great STs play is also essential.

- Tom F.

Well done Dabrowns!

If holmgrens "narrow minded vision" includes winning a lot of games im all for it ,as it stands now our team under salesman mangini's system will be a failure for years to come..talkin about a narrow minded offense ,and whats funny is lately everyone is buying his pitch ,but if he is still around next year when we have to play real nfl caliber teams again the high running yardage and the appearance of progress will vanish again regardless of who is the qb ,leaving the fans screaming for his head again ,it would be a total waste of precious time...

I have been for converting back to the 4-3 for a couple of years...smith ,williams ,rogers and rubin now thats a brutal front 4 add a safety ,a corner and a linebacker and its instant success..

Lerner brought holmgen in to turn this club around and for once i believe he finally got it right ,im onboard regardless of which way holmgren does it but i am pretty sure keeping mangini around would delay the process of rebuilding a solid and consistent winner holmgren and mangini are in different worlds when it comes to philosophies one is a proven winner and one is a proven moron...

Nice analysis overall. A few points:

TE: I think Evan Moore can be a very good TE in the WCO. Having been a WR in college, he has the skillset. He has also shown good rapport with Quinn.

WR: Yikes! If Cleveland can get Golden Tate outside the first day, that would be a great fit for them. I don't know if he'll still be around though. He'd be the perfect slot receiver. Short of that, I'd rather see Cleveland go after a veteran WR who has great hands even if not great speed.

The West Coast Offense (WCO) is an offensive system loosely based on the Air Coryell system established by the Hall of Fame coach Don Coryell. Bill Walsh perfected the system that emphasizes more passing than running. Originated in the 1960's by teams like the Chargers, Raiders, and even Coryell's own Cardinals (St. Louis at the time), the Air Coryell is a system that has been greatly used by teams more and more each season. It was Bill Walsh who perfected what is now called the WCO.

This is not correct. Air Coryell and the WCO are linked by mistaken nomenclature. The 70-80s Chargers and Oakland ran the Coryell system, which, because of their location, was dubbed the WCO. Ironically, a sports illustrated reporter misquoted our own Bernie Kosar and used the term WCO to describe the offense that Bill Walsh ran with the 49ers which he began to develop in Cincinnati. That mistaken nomenclature stuck.

Air Coryell is a vertical passing attack. The WCO is a horizontal passing attack. The two are almost extreme opposites in philosophy and required personnel. Air Coryell stretches the defense vertically with fast receivers and big arm QBs, WCO stretches the defense horizontally with and relies on physical, YAC receivers and deadly accurate mobile QBs.

Nice analysis overall. A few points:

TE: I think Evan Moore can be a very good TE in the WCO. Having been a WR in college, he has the skillset. He has also shown good rapport with Quinn.

WR: Yikes! If Cleveland can get Golden Tate outside the first day, that would be a great fit for them. I don't know if he'll still be around though. He'd be the perfect slot receiver. Short of that, I'd rather see Cleveland go after a veteran WR who has great hands even if not great speed.

Tate would be perfect. He's great in traffic and has hands of glue.

tate is an inferior version of robo. robo has great hands and runs good routes, no need to waste a pick on tate when you can just use robo there. if we even look at WR it should be a big guy with speed to be a no 1. momass is too stupid to run routes, too wimpy to fight for the ball, and too small to make the big catches. if you notice most of the passes that seem very very off target and to no one, are usually momass' route, and thats because hes running the wrong rout. i must have wated like 5-6 passes this season that were clearly cut backs, and momass just keeps running down field.

tate is an inferior version of robo. robo has great hands and runs good routes, no need to waste a pick on tate when you can just use robo there.

I don't see Robiskie and Tate as being very similar receivers: Robiskie's a tall possession receiver, Tate's a smaller guy with great YAC ability. Sure, both have good hands, but so do a lot of receivers.

Another sure-handed receiver to keep an eye on is Anquan Boldin. Adam Schefter has predicted that Boldin will be traded this offseason, and Holmgren said the following on the October 16th broadcast of his radio show:

"I think Boldin, I think - as weird as this sounds - I think Boldin's he's kind of the underrated guy. He's the one, he's the straw that stirs it up."

(The host asks why)

"Well, I just think he is so strong. He is so strong in his hands, he runs after the catch. He reminds me so much of Sterling Sharpe when I had Sterling in Green Bay. He is tough: he's a big, strong man."

Last year, the rumored selling price for Boldin was a 2nd round pick, so it's likely that our early 2nd would be enough to make Boldin a Brown.

Also, it's possible that the Cardinals would be interested in Shaun Rogers, especially if they're going for one last SB run with Warner. They've got age and inconsistent younguns at nose tackle, and a three man line of Dockett, Rogers, and Campbell would be ridiculously dominant.

So if Holmgren wants Boldin, it seems like he's got the resources to make a move.

This is not correct. Air Coryell and the WCO are linked by mistaken nomenclature. The 70-80s Chargers and Oakland ran the Coryell system, which, because of their location, was dubbed the WCO. Ironically, a sports illustrated reporter misquoted our own Bernie Kosar and used the term WCO to describe the offense that Bill Walsh ran with the 49ers which he began to develop in Cincinnati. That mistaken nomenclature stuck.

Air Coryell is a vertical passing attack. The WCO is a horizontal passing attack. The two are almost extreme opposites in philosophy and required personnel. Air Coryell stretches the defense vertically with fast receivers and big arm QBs, WCO stretches the defense horizontally with and relies on physical, YAC receivers and deadly accurate mobile QBs.

good call chip

air coryell was a "down the field passing game"

I don't see Robiskie and Tate as being very similar receivers: Robiskie's a tall possession receiver, Tate's a smaller guy with great YAC ability. Sure, both have good hands, but so do a lot of receivers.

Another sure-handed receiver to keep an eye on is Anquan Boldin. Adam Schefter has predicted that Boldin will be traded this offseason, and Holmgren said the following on the October 16th broadcast of his radio show:

Good point on Tate. I like Shipley even better, though.

Funny you mention Boldin. That's the guy that I liken Robiskie to. Not that I think Robiskie is as good as Boldin or even that it's likely that he'll get there. But Boldin is not a guy who's running around the field with 4 yard separation. He's a guy that makes a lot of back shoulder catches and catches coming out of his breaks and benefits from having Fitz on the other side of the field. The problem is that we don't have a QB that can throw through tight windows when receivers don't have good separation. On Robiskie's one big catch and run against the Chargers, we saw Robiskie use his body to shield the defender, secure the catch and add something on the run. That's the kind of receiver he is. Both of our QBs struggle with their accuracy, though. Quinn throws to the open receiver. Robiskie needs a guy that is comfortable with throwing the receiver open.

I hope that Robiskie hits the weight room. He also needs to be sharper coming out of his breaks. He looks like he "glides" in and out of his breaks to me. A guy like JJ could have been a great mentor to Robiskie. Too bad the Cleveland Clinic screwed that up. You'd think that the "surgeons must wash their hands before returning to the OR" signs on the bathroom windows would have worked.

I'm not for trading our high second round pick for Boldin. I like Boldin, but we need the pick to lock up a solid starter quality player of 5 years at a cap friendly price -- that's what we should get for a second rounder. If we are switching to a WCO, we need a lot more help than just one receiver. The Browns need to continue building the right way. The right way is not trading picks for high priced veterans that almost surely will not be as effective in their new environment. That was the Savage way.

While the WCO will present some challenges, we aren't void of players to make that move work.

I think the potential switch to a 4-3 D is going to expose a larger void of players.

If we go 4-3, I would expect this to be a defensive heavy draft. We will need a couple more hand on the ground players, and I don't think DJ is a 4-3 MLB...so we need to find one of those as well.

While the WCO will present some challenges, we aren't void of players to make that move work.

I think the potential switch to a 4-3 D is going to expose a larger void of players.

If we go 4-3, I would expect this to be a defensive heavy draft. We will need a couple more hand on the ground players, and I don't think DJ is a 4-3 MLB...so we need to find one of those as well.

Thanks. I tried to get this conversation going earlier. A lot of people have said we have good 4-3 personnel, but I absolutely disagree. We have 4-3 defensive tackles, I agree. We don't have one 4-3 DE who could supply a pass rush. We have a bunch of Tweener college DEs who are 3-4 OLBers in Wimbley, Roth and Veikune.

Dqwell Jackson is not a 4-3 inside linebacker. I think we need to start fresh with linebackers for the 4-3. Regardless, we absolutely need a safety and a corner.

I don't necessarily think we have great WCO personnel. To start with, I'm not sold on Quinn as a WCO QB. I wouldn't be surprised if an offensive minded ex coach like Holmgren doesn't work with his GM to bring in TWO of his own guys at QB -- maybe Seneca Wallace in a trade and Colt McCoy in the second round.

We don't have the YAC stud receiver for the WCO, and Dez Bryant is going to be sitting in that 5-6 slot where the Browns will pick with most the sure-fire studs off the board.

Mack and Thomas will probably be okay in the WCO. Maybe Steinbach. The rest of the O-line will not even be serviceable.

Dennis Pitta (BYU) is going to look pretty good in the third round as a WCO TE if he's still there. I actually might take Max Hall (BYU) in the 6th. I like the kid and think he might be a decent guy to work with.

However, many people proclaimed that Brady Quinn would be an ideal candidate for a WCO, coming out of Notre Dame. Quinn was very efficient at Notre Dame

Well unfortunately for the Browns, Air Force, Army and Navy are not on the schedule for 2010.

You're probably a Derek Anderson fan who thinks that he should have been named the NFL MVP after his 2007 season in which he threw 20 of his 29 TD's to teams that drafted in the top 9 in the 2008 NFL Draft.

I don't want to watch the WCO, I want to see the North Coast Offense. New, original, intimidating, and all Browns.

Yep, that white stuff called snow and mud will slow down most west coast offenses.

Great Point, Kathy

Dqwell Jackson is not a 4-3 inside linebacker.

I wouldn't dismiss him that quickly. The Walrus loves Lofa Tatupu, a 4-3 ILB with similar size/speed numbers. Tatupu's very instinctive, something that DQ might show more of if he's kept clean by two big DT's.

Yep, that white stuff called snow and mud will slow down most west coast offenses.

Great Point, Kathy

Not necessarilly true. Short to mid range low risk passes in conditions in which the receivers know where the ball is going to be and what route to run, but the defense does not gives the offense a significant strategic advantage. All it takes is a QB who can adjust his timing and knows that the receivers are going to be slightly slowed by the conditions. The defense wouldn't have a chance.

"I think Boldin, I think - as weird as this sounds - I think Boldin's he's kind of the underrated guy. He's the one, he's the straw that stirs it up."

(The host asks why)

"Well, I just think he is so strong. He is so strong in his hands, he runs after the catch. He reminds me so much of Sterling Sharpe when I had Sterling in Green Bay. He is tough: he's a big, strong man."

Last year, the rumored selling price for Boldin was a 2nd round pick, so it's likely that our early 2nd would be enough to make Boldin a Brown.

Also, it's possible that the Cardinals would be interested in Shaun Rogers, especially if they're going for one last SB run with Warner. They've got age and inconsistent younguns at nose tackle, and a three man line of Dockett, Rogers, and Campbell would be ridiculously dominant.

So if Holmgren wants Boldin, it seems like he's got the resources to make a move.

Not gonna lie.

I f-ing love Anquan Boldin.

(The host asks why)

Not gonna lie.

I f-ing love Anquan Boldin.

Huge fan of Boldin. Highest YPG in the history of the NFL. That's serious.

As for Robiskie and Tate, I think Tate is a crazy dynamic guy. I like Robiskie, but he isn't anywhere near the big play threat Tate is. Huge key plays all year, against every team.

Michigan: 9-115, 2 TDs

Michigan State: 7-127, TD

USC: 8-117, 2 TDs

Pitt: 9-113, TD

Stanford: 10-201, 3 TDs

He had no bad games on the season, and only one where he didn't score (first game of the season, vs. Nevada).

Archived