THE BROWNS BOARD

How to Get Kevin Kolb

mopaji

The question i have is, why would you give up an important draft pick and maybe your best defensive player for an unproven quarterback, and yes he is unproven. I think it would be ridiculus to give that much for a career backup qb. We already have two of them. If we get a veteran qb and draft a qb in a mid round that would be our best bet. If Colt McCoy is still available in round 2, take him there. Too many holes on this team to give that up for Kolb. Kolb. He reminds me of a young Kelly Holcolm

If we can get Kolb, I say we do it. I would rather spend that draft pick on a QB that would be starting for Andy Reid, if it wasn't for McNabb, than spend a draft pick on a rookie QB and possibly another pick to get a veteran. Reid seems to think Kolb is ready to start in the NFL. What has Reid done to give any of us any doubt as to his assessment of QB's? To me, in the limited action he's seen, Kolb has looked very good. Yes he made some mistakes. But, overall, he has been good.

You want us to get a veteran to groom a freshly drafted QB? Kolb was groomed by one of the best veterans in the league today. In fact, he was groomed by the veteran that many people want the Browns to grab to groom a QB here. Kolb is ready. And he's getting frustrated in Philly. He won't get his shot there for, at least, another year, or until McNabb calls it quits there. Philly won't be able to keep them both and won't want to lose either of them for free. Their best bet is to trade one now. McNabb has been their start QB and a fan favorite for years, and his departure would probably make for some disgruntled fans and season ticket holders. So, Philly is more likely to trade Kolb and draft a new future QB than to trade McNabb.

The last thing the Browns need is to draft another QB early. Round 3 is the earliest it should even be considered. Rounds 1 & 2 need to be set on DB's and O-line. Or a pass rushing DE.

i like Kolb, but i think we need more input.

the point was made on another board that the Eagle's system could be the strong suit.

(they could be capable of plugging any decent qb in and doing well... a la Garcia's strong finish a few years' back)

i dunno... food for thought. But i am of the camp that if we bring in either Mcnabb or Kolb (for minimum cost) we are upgrading at qb. for now.

Maybe McNabb plus the ole miss guy (snead?)

Actually, I don’t think you really understand how the 3-4 works. If all we needed was some big, fat, strong guy to squat down and not get moved, we could get a sumo wrestler. Or better yet, we could have kept Ted Washington. That worked real well didn’t it?

Yes, the basic requirements are that the NT doesn’t get pushed back, occupies one or two blockers, and allows the linebackers to make plays at or behind the line of scrimmage.

However, if that NT can be disruptive rather than just immovable (think volcano rather than a mountain), then you have the difference between a crappy to average 3-4 to a great 3-4. Think of all the great 3-4 defenses and tell me one that didn’t have a disruptive NT.

I know I’d rather have a bulldozer than a wall.

Disruptive NT’s can cause significant problems in the running game. Because it can close off a lane giving the LB’s less to cover. It can also close off cutback lanes. Cutback runs produce the statistical majority of runs over 20 yards.

Ted Washington was 40 years old and long past his prime by the time we got him. He was a beast for the Patriots when he was younger, easily the best NT in the league.

I would do it, if Kolb is the real deal. He performed really well in Philly when McNabb was hurt; I was really impressed by him. At most I would give up a 2nd rounder + Rodgers... maybe our first rounder if there were some other incentives. The only problem is that I don't believe Philly has any intention of giving Kolb up. McNabb is old, Vick is.... well, Vick, and they see Kolb as the QB of the future. Last time I heard, Philly has no intention of letting any of their QBs go.

You could get Kolb cheaper than a 2nd and Rodgers. He performed well by a #'s standpoint, but he was playing from behind and was just inflating his #'s against a prevent defense. I don't know how good he'll be or how good he COULD be, but I think we're better off drafting a QB in the 2nd round than trading it along with Rodgers for Kolb.

Ted Washington was 40 years old and long past his prime by the time we got him. He was a beast for the Patriots when he was younger, easily the best NT in the league.

I agree. I actually thought ted played pretty well his first year here, shouldn't have played that final year. But Ted was far past his peak, he was an immovable object who could destroy anything up the middle in his prime. He was better than rogers in his prime imho

Archived