THE BROWNS BOARD

Bernie Kosar

mopaji

Last night I watched "The History of the Cleveland Browns" and on one of the discs, Steve Sabol sits down with Bernie and does an NFL Films segment on him. Now, I was 5 or 6 years old when Bernie was drafted and I definately remember him being great and have always loved the guy. But watching that now that I'm older gave me a new found respect for what that guy did here. I also watched NFL Films version of the "Marathon by the Lake" and OMG, Bernie was a pimp. Two cracked ribs, spitting up blood, down 10 points with 4 minutes left and what did he do? Stayed in the game because, here's the best part, he threw two picks earlier and refused to quit on his team and the city. Then, he improvises a play with Slaughter and it takes them down to the 3 yard line allowing them to tie and eventually win the game. 10 points in 3-1/2 minutes!

Now, I remember this game like it was yesterday but I was a little kid then. Understanding now how they won and what Bernie did for that team just blew me away. He may not be very articulate and comes off ditzy, but the guy has an absolutely uncanny knowledge of the game and most importantly of situations. My wife, who hates football, and had other things to do, could not walk away from the TV. She couldn't believe how clumsy and down right ugly "that guy" looked throwing the ball let alone dropping back in the pocket. But she mentioned that nomatter what, that ball ended up in exactly the right place with a fraction of an inch to spare. She left very impressed by "that guy". And the fake spike in Miami? She loved it! I understand what Otto and Sipe did with the Browns but isn't it a given that Bernie is the best Browns QB of all time? And second only to Jim Brown as the best Brown ever? Seeing him get a ring with Dallas back then hurt me a little. But considering he had 3 days to learn the playbook and he lead them to and through the NFC Championship game, he not only earned it, but more than anyone, he deserved it. Lets not forget that Bernie is and always will be "The Man".

Last night I watched "The History of the Cleveland Browns" and on one of the discs, Steve Sabol sits down with Bernie and does an NFL Films segment on him. Now, I was 5 or 6 years old when Bernie was drafted and I definately remember him being great and have always loved the guy. But watching that now that I'm older gave me a new found respect for what that guy did here. I also watched NFL Films version of the "Marathon by the Lake" and OMG, Bernie was a pimp. Two cracked ribs, spitting up blood, down 10 points with 4 minutes left and what did he do? Stayed in the game because, here's the best part, he threw two picks earlier and refused to quit on his team and the city. Then, he improvises a play with Slaughter and it takes them down to the 3 yard line allowing them to tie and eventually win the game. 10 points in 3-1/2 minutes!

Now, I remember this game like it was yesterday but I was a little kid then. Understanding now how they won and what Bernie did for that team just blew me away. He may not be very articulate and comes off ditzy, but the guy has an absolutely uncanny knowledge of the game and most importantly of situations. My wife, who hates football, and had other things to do, could not walk away from the TV. She couldn't believe how clumsy and down right ugly "that guy" looked throwing the ball let alone dropping back in the pocket. But she mentioned that nomatter what, that ball ended up in exactly the right place with a fraction of an inch to spare. She left very impressed by "that guy". And the fake spike in Miami? She loved it! I understand what Otto and Sipe did with the Browns but isn't it a given that Bernie is the best Browns QB of all time? And second only to Jim Brown as the best Brown ever? Seeing him get a ring with Dallas back then hurt me a little. But considering he had 3 days to learn the playbook and he lead them to and through the NFC Championship game, he not only earned it, but more than anyone, he deserved it. Lets not forget that Bernie is and always will be "The Man".

I was 14 when they drafted Bernie. Having really only started watching or caring about the NFL when I was 13 in 1984 (and suffering through Paul MacDonald), Bernie was my first football hero. I as ungainly, clumsy, uncoordinated back then, but I was also intelligent, understood the game, and got great greats in school. So it was incredibly easy for me to place myself into his shoes and dream that one day I could be Bernie too. Obviously that didn't happen... but he was, and will always be my favorite player (that is unless Cribbs signs a new contract with the Browns and leads them to a couple Super Bowl.)

I always wondered how, with a porous offensive line and lead feet, Kosar was able to do what he did. And yet, he still did it, and well.

I never forget dude.

I have a signed helmet, photo and jersey framed in front of me. And yes, that was the only year I rooted for the Cowboys.

I am sure many other of the older folks here have the same feeling about the QB of their era. I remember so vividly that game with Kosar. Not only does it bring back great memories of the Browns, but also the 50 people huddling around my uncles 19 inch Zenith cheering him on. That might be why so many people associate their team and players like Kosar with family?

Cleveland is a story of underdogs and so was Kosar. He was the ultimate underdog.

Bernie Kosar was the most amazing qb I ever watched. How he could do what he did, with "stork" feet and legs,..

but his win over the Jets in overtime, with an injured ankle, I believe, was incredible.

He was one of those guys who LOVED the BROWNS, and LOVED the game.

There was no one in that lockerroom more respected than Kosar. He has to be the most brilliant qb who ever played.

And, when I found a 5 month old puppy, sitting on a bank along the road, all alone about 9 years ago,

one summer day, no one around, I pulled over, and the most beautiful, fuzzy, Old English Sheepdog/terrier mix pup

came to me, as a I called to him from on my knees. I took him home. He had long legs, big feet, and was so intelligent,

he understood most anything we would say in a week, and knew all of his toys by name. He still figures out

ways to make us laugh all the time. And, all 90 lbs of him, is so very careful around Patches, our newer little

calico cat, who loves Bernie. She watches out the window when he and I go outside. And she likes to sneak up on him,

and attack his tail. He's such a great guy, she isn't afraid of him at all. It's like he's her big brother.

He has always great with kids, loves em, and can tug of war with them and win, somehow.

He is so brilliant, instinctively is super gentle and careful around infants, which has always amazed our friends.

he's a thousand stories, and is adored by vets and vets assistants, groomers, even anybody who comes up to meet

him. His favorite toy was a Browns football - one toy he never took apart. And he only takes HIS toys apart.

The first day with him, we completely fell in love with him, and named him Bernie Kosar the second day, after

I drove all over trying to find if he was lost. We checked everywhere for two weeks.

He's the best, a lovable, loyal friend who never lets anything go on outside, without sounding an alarm, a different

alarm for different situations, consistently.

And Bernie Kosar? I'll always admire him for his grit, his loyalty, and his love of the game and his teammates. He was a winner.

I have to admit, after the Browns, I have always been a huge fan of the Cowboys. I became a fan when Jimmy Johnson took the head coaching job in Dallas in 1989. Yes...I know they were 1-15 that year. But I liked Johnson...and I liked Troy Aikman, Ken Norton, Jack Del Rio, Jim Jeffcoat, Daryl Johnston, Herschel Walker. That team was full of players I liked to watch play. And, I was ten years old and fascinated with the whole America's Team lore. I told everyone then that they would be good. It didn't take long for them to prove me right. I have never and will never put the Cowboys ahead of the Browns. The Browns are my team and always will be.

With that out of the way, Bernie leaving the Browns was a very sad day in Cleveland Browns history for the team and for all the fans...including myself. He was and still is Cleveland Browns football. I wish that he could have finished his career as a Cleveland Brown. I was very happy to see him get a Super Bowl ring. There is not a player that deserved it any more than he did. One of these days, I hope to see Bernie on the sidelines mentoring Browns QB's. He was one of the smartest QB's to ever play the game. He has a lot to offer for young players.

Oh the memories!

I still have a signed Bernie Kosar chocolate bar wrapper framed in my office.

Do you remember the Kosar chocolates?

I also have been carrying on my key chain since 79-80 a Kardiac Kids copper football shaped penny.

Does anyone remember the song, "Bernie's Back"? My 2nd cousin, Bill Sullivan, was one of the writers of it. I have that "45" record in the tan paper envelope that Billy gave me. As I recall, there were 1200 copies made.

I will always be a HUGE Bernie fan. He was certainly one of the most intelligent QBs to play in the NFL & extremely accurate too. In fact, I think he won "most accurate" in the first NFL Skills Challenge.

Mike

Does anyone remember the song, "Bernie's Back"? My 2nd cousin, Bill Sullivan, was one of the writers of it. I have that "45" record in the tan paper envelope that Billy gave me. As I recall, there were 1200 copies made.

I will always be a HUGE Bernie fan. He was certainly one of the most intelligent QBs to play in the NFL & extremely accurate too. In fact, I think he won "most accurate" in the first NFL Skills Challenge.

Mike

yes, I remember that song! Wasn't that done to "My Boyfriends Back, an your gonna be in trouble."

Anyways... Bernie also had the career NFL record (or was it single season) for lack of interception ratio for quite some time. Someone recently beat it, but I forget who.

I like Bernie a lot, but no way was he the best QB....Graham takes that nod.

He might get second nod, but if so, it isn't by much over 2 others for sure and maybe three....Sipe, Ryan, and the forgotten great qb we had, Bill Nelson.

All three of those guys were right up there with Bernie, but if you didn't see them play, then i understand the nod to Kosar....and again, that isn't any dis to Bernie...as I said, I liked him a lot.

It's been a long time since we had a QB who we all could rally around....a guy you knew would bounce back after a rare bad game.

I think Bernie is looked at as highly by some is he was the last QB we had that was like that....since then we have had anywhere from bum to a 50% guy....half like him, half like the back-up.

Couch maybe had that for a year or two, but that was mostly because he was able to ride the wave of excitement of having our team back for the first few years of his career.

(that is unless Cribbs signs a new contract with the Browns and leads them to a couple Super Bowl.)

As much as I would welcome this, its not going to happen. I just dont see a special team ace leading us to a super bowl. I love cribbs but he alone wont lead us to the big game. He will surely help though.

After a line like that I dont think you can call yourself intelligent. Now either your parents payed the teachers off or your mom worked it off. Which one?

Out of bounds dude.

You don't start calling someones Mama a whore.

Really

After a line like that I dont think you can call yourself intelligent. Now either your parents payed the teachers off or your mom worked it off. Which one?

There are several grammatical errors in your post. First of all, there should be a comma after the line "After a line like that." Then, there should ba an apostrophe in the word "don't." Then, there should be a comma after "Now" and after the first "off."

So, before you start calling people out on their spelling errors, make sure you aren't making some pretty dumb mistakes yourself. Especially like using "payed" instead of "paid."

I have always been amazed at the love affair Cleveland has with Kosar who was an average NFL QB. Granted he accomplished a lot given his physical limitations but he was still average.

Brilliance of the Stoner, you gotta love it.

Berns was certainly no Stoudt or Malone.....you remember those guys?

I was at that Jets game...and I love watching it on the highlights when its on TV.

I've always loved Bernie Kosar and it always amazes me how so-called Browns fans can bad-mouth him. He's human just like all of us but his love for the Browns and what he did for us back in the 80's is simply amazing.

I have always been amazed at the love affair Cleveland has with Kosar who was an average NFL QB. Granted he accomplished a lot given his physical limitations but he was still average.

No, he was well above average at the skills that counted: leadership, accuracy, understanding the game, tactics, winning.

I am not saying he was a Hall of Famer. Those physical limitations..a lot of which were the result of injury...are what held him back there.

Early on in his career his arm was a lot stronger than what you probably remember, but he had that sidearm delivery that made it look awkward, but at first he could hit a receiver on a dime 50 yards down the field. After suffering a series of elbow, wrist and hand injuries...yes, that strength diminished. He was never a bazooka arm like a Bradshaw or Elway, but he was better than you think.

I like Bernie a lot, but no way was he the best QB....Graham takes that nod.

He might get second nod, but if so, it isn't by much over 2 others for sure and maybe three....Sipe, Ryan, and the forgotten great qb we had, Bill Nelson.

All three of those guys were right up there with Bernie, but if you didn't see them play, then i understand the nod to Kosar....and again, that isn't any dis to Bernie...as I said, I liked him a lot.

It's been a long time since we had a QB who we all could rally around....a guy you knew would bounce back after a rare bad game.

I think Bernie is looked at as highly by some is he was the last QB we had that was like that....since then we have had anywhere from bum to a 50% guy....half like him, half like the back-up.

Couch maybe had that for a year or two, but that was mostly because he was able to ride the wave of excitement of having our team back for the first few years of his career.

Well, I saw every one of those QBs play except Graham, and of all the Browns QBs I saw, Bernie was the best. He has the close edge for me over Ryan, Sipe, and Nelson.

I mean, the greatest physical speciman was Mike Phipps. But he was a total mental flop.

Bradshaw was just an average NFL QB who was elevated by the roiders playing around him.

Bradshaw blew. Totally and completely overrated cuz of all the roiders carrying him.

I completely agree.

I'm amazed you come on here constantly. Must really love Cleveland deep down. Right? Admit it.

I remember back in the 80's one of those made for TV "Superstars" competitions where they matched up the top QBs

from back then , they all had to do these little passing drills to determine the best of the bunch and I don't remember

exactly what they had to do overall ,but one of the drills was to throw a football through a tire as it zipped across the field.

All the big boyz where there Kelly,Elway,Young,Marino...they all missed ! except Bernie, so they bust his balls about a lucky

first throw,Bernie laughing the whole time picks up another ball and nails it again!

Archived