THE BROWNS BOARD

Bernie Kosar

mopaji

Well, I saw every one of those QBs play except Graham, and of all the Browns QBs I saw, Bernie was the best. He has the close edge for me over Ryan, Sipe, and Nelson.

I mean, the greatest physical speciman was Mike Phipps. But he was a total mental flop

As I said, he might get the nod.....point being all were pretty darn good. Lets say close enough I am not going to try to distinguish between them.

I will say this, if I could have any of the 4 in a modern , young body, I am good riding that for the next 12 years.

I did see Otto near the end, and I was pretty young, so I have to admit most of my opinion is based on historical record.

I remember back in the 80's one of those made for TV "Superstars" competitions where they matched up the top QBs

from back then , they all had to do these little passing drills to determine the best of the bunch and I don't remember

exactly what they had to do overall ,but one of the drills was to throw a football through a tire as it zipped across the field.

All the big boyz where there Kelly,Elway,Young,Marino...they all missed ! except Bernie, so they bust his balls about a lucky

first throw,Bernie laughing the whole time picks up another ball and nails it again! BrownB299

Oh, my, I had forgotten about that. It was GREAT !

No, he was well above average at the skills that counted: leadership, accuracy, understanding the game, tactics, winning.

I am not saying he was a Hall of Famer. Those physical limitations..a lot of which were the result of injury...are what held him back there.

Early on in his career his arm was a lot stronger than what you probably remember, but he had that sidearm delivery that made it look awkward, but at first he could hit a receiver on a dime 50 yards down the field. After suffering a series of elbow, wrist and hand injuries...yes, that strength diminished. He was never a bazooka arm like a Bradshaw or Elway, but he was better than you think

No doubt....a lot of fans forgot or didn't see him play early in his career. I have a Plain Dealer publication that I saved from the Saturday of the AFC championship game in '86. On the front page, about 10 well known experts are polled on who will win that game. The majority of them, favor Cleveland over Denver in a close game, with the difference being the qb's. Kosar was the better qb at that point, and threw a more accurate deep pass. Of course, from that point on, after " the drive"....and after the many injuries that Kosar had, everything changed.

Kosar was a blast to watch. Never counted them out with him. He was indeed one of the smartest QB's of all time.

The receiving corp he worked with was terrific as well - Slaughter, Langhorn, Brennan - Brian Brennan was the Wes Welker of the Browns - always consistent, always a go to guy that came up big. Of course there was also the great Oz. Ozzie was awesome.

Then there was the great backfield Kosar had in Mack and Byner. Anyone who wants to go on and on about the fumble is not giving a single ounce of credibility to the fact that had Byner not played as strong ALL season and especially in teh playoffs that year, the team would never have been in a position to be playing in the AFC Championship game that year. Byner is 'the fumble' guy, he's another great Browns RB. Romo dropped a game winning snap for a filed goal and he's still considered a superstar.

... and don't forget bernie playing with a broken finger - wrppaed in a splint on the throwing hand. Wonder if Quinn ever saw those tapes.

Was VERY glad Bernie got a ring. He deserved one with a Browns helmet on it .... TWICE.

Graham is easily the best QB statistically. He also played in a championship 8 or 10 of his seasons of pro football. There really is no argument against that except for the huge sentimentality I fell for Kosar.

As far as other Browns QBs, Sipe and Kosar are pretty much the same. I think it comes down to when you were a 10 year old, 1980 or 1986.

This is an awesome website. I found it when trying to find out who the best Bears QB of all time was:

http://armchairgm.wikia.com/index.php?titl...%2C_Version_1.0

I remember back in the 80's one of those made for TV "Superstars" competitions where they matched up the top QBs

from back then , they all had to do these little passing drills to determine the best of the bunch and I don't remember

exactly what they had to do overall ,but one of the drills was to throw a football through a tire as it zipped across the field.

All the big boyz where there Kelly,Elway,Young,Marino...they all missed ! except Bernie, so they bust his balls about a lucky

first throw,Bernie laughing the whole time picks up another ball and nails it again!

i saw one like that too BB499--had all the alpha dog QB's there like you said. i remember it looked tropical, but coulda just been Florida or something. on this one the targets were small but stationary, spaced every 10 yards.

everyone hit about the same distance limit but Bernie kept going. i can't remember if it was 20 or 30 yards more than everyone else. definitely 20 or more though...it was at least two more turns.

up until he finally missed he was pretty much direct middle of the target every time, not even close to touching the sides as it went through.

its gotta be on the web somewhere.

Archived