THE BROWNS BOARD

RAC isnt getting fired

We need Tom Tupa

Guest Ghoolie

The only decision that has been made about Crennell is that he will coach one more game.

The Browns FO doesn't have a clue. Had Andersen not come out of the box firing on all cyhlinders, Quinn would have been the QB his first year.

The Borwns will fire Crennell when it suits them, and it has more to do with emotion than it does performance. 7 - 9 by itself is no indicator. For instance, if the Browns go 5 -11, but manage to get #5 in Hienz dump, Crennel wont get fired. Conversely if we win Sunday then finish 5 - 11, Romeo will be gone.

Sewage is a jagoff, he doesn' t know day-to-day what his "philosophy" is.

He uses his position to cover his ass, That's what he does.

I disagree Tom....I think the decision has already been made on Romeo....all of these changes aren't because of Romeo, they are directives from above.

Not to bust your chops Ballpeen but HOW are you certain what is done from above and what is done from the Head Coach?

I REALLY like to know who's decision it is to give Lewis 97% of the carries when he looks washed up this year. LAST year, Lewis wanted to prove Baltimore wrong and he showed up to camp 15 pounds lighter than usual. He had some giddyup to go with his quest. This year Lewis gets a FAT contract (meaning he already proved what he needed to prove) and we're suddenly seeing the SAME guy Baltimore grew unhappy with.

I get sort of curious why I keep seeing the refrain from Harrison as I keep remembering Savage committed to Lewis this offseason. My question is which of the 2 RBs looks MORE committed to the Browns right now? I know Lewis is calling teammates out while Harrison hasn't had to. Now it's easy for me to say it's ALL RAC keeping Harrison seated on game day but the REALITY is it wasn't RAC that just gave Lewis the nice contract. If your boss at work has an objective he/she wants to be commit to - can you just say you'd rather work other objectives because they make you look better? Marty Schottenheimer got fired just like Lane Kiffen did for not following the boss' objectives.

ALOT of people that don't like RAC insinuate 100% of the crappy decisions are his. I've caught myself doing that when I got frustrated. If the decision to continue running Lewis into a cement wall on quick sand is from above - maybe we're looking at the reason RAC can't be as successful for THIS Supervisor as he was for Bill Belichick as his Supervisor. I'm looking at a 3-4 that doesn't have many ILBers that LIKE to tackle people so again if those personnel decisions are from above - HOW can the Head Coach be successful? We got ILBers that couldn't start for Cincy.

Guys like Ray Lewis, Pat Willis, Zach Thomas, Brian Urlacher, Cornelius Bennett, Clay matthews, Lawrence Taylor, Pepper Johnson, Chris Speilman didn't NEED to be coached into who they became. They were blessed with instinct, intelligence and winning first steps. D'Qwell Jackson isn't disappointing because of WHO coaches him right now - he's disappointing because our personnel dept overrated him. Now he's gonna KEEP starting because there's an ego attached to 2nd round draft picks. Andra Davis got a big raise from Phil 2 years ago so even though Leon Williams looked like our most promising ILBer in 2007 - what 2 guys started vrs Buffalo inside? Chaun Thompson got walking papers and he runs 4.5s and is a chiseled 260 pounds. Maybe if we kept him and moved him inside - we wouldn't have to blitz our DBs from the outside all the time. I watched little Ray Rice put Jackson on his back on an X-stunt where the oline was cleared out. he wasn't the first scat back to do this to him either. Do you think Ray Lewis gets put on his back on the same play by Ray Rice? Hell no!

I'm not THRILLED with RAC at all BUT I think there's more handcuffing going on than people think. I totally understand impatience with RAC but when BB was his Supervisor - he didn't have ANY trouble getting good performance from the players he was told to make work. One of those years they lost their starting corners heading into the playoffs and they ended up winning the Superbowl. I ralso emembered Savage saying we didn't have a suitable replacement for Dennis Northcutt on our STs when we would later learn we actually had an All Pro upgrade in Cribbs. That said, BEFORE he was coached up - he couldn't even field a punt because he misjudged 2 in a game he filled in for an injured Northcutt. Somebody coached him up pretty good and fast on the special teams. Dawson continues to improve as he's won quite a few games in the last 2 years with field goals over 50 yards.

I'm all for changing Head Coaches if we can hire the RIGHT guy for once. Is that guy out there without a job right now? I remembered one of our message board legends Fatdaddy was THE most excited fan on our board the day we hired Butch Davis and he couldn't understand WHY I said I don't think the Head Coach is the disease - he's just 1 symptom. Well, Butch Davis turned 5-27 football into competitive football immediately. Our Defense led the AFC in INTs in 2001 and then we made the playoffs in 2002. Butch's downfall was thinking he could be GM and Head Coach so again it didn't work. And guess who became his biggest critic? Fatdaddy. There we were 1 more time thinking the only thing wrong is Head Coach. Was I the ONLY Browns' fan that thought Carmen Policy STUNK and deserved some degree of accountability? Our porcelain franchise pillars were Tim Couch and Courtney Brown while we chose Scott Milanovich OVER Kurt Warner in the expansion draft and Spergon Wynn over Tom Brady in round 6. Butch choosing Warren over Tomlinson was brutal too. Butch NEVER sought out the Browns - they came knocking and begging for him to leave the college football paradise he created from the depths of probation to resurrect the Browns.

My BIGGEST hope is Savage can find the right Head Coach and it becomes a GM-Head Coach tagteam like Buffalo had, Indy has, Denver has had, NE has, Miami seems to have, Pittsburgh has. It's just not right when we were being sentenced to DA knowing Quinn is better. Now we're being sentenced to Lewis when Harrison seems far better. This kind of stuff means the Head Coach and GM are disconnected. I mean what took so FREAKIN took so long to yank Dumb Ass from the starting lineup? My second biggest hope is we can FIND some LBers for this team.

- Tom F.

I believe he fired marty because marty wouldn't bring an OC in.

Exactly JADBF!

We lost a MNF game by less than a FG to Houston; because Marty trying to work as an OC was disorganized and the time expired on us without kicking a chip shot FG before half in a game we lost by 1 or 2 points. Modell told him, HIRE an OC. Marty replied that he wanted to KEEP Lindy Infante's system that the players all bought into and had experience with. This part is hearsay so correct it if necessary but Marty said I'll elevate my brother Kurt from STs coach to OC. Modell thought this was nothing more than Marty KEEPING the OC position so the frustration grew to this: "Hire an OC or take a hike. "

BOTH sides had a legit arguement. I think Marty was a little stubborn because how difficult would it have been to hire an OC to run Lindy's system if he KEPT the freakin playbook? That same stubbornness and unwillingness to workj with his boss in SD did him in again. In order for Marty to GET the absolute control he wanted - he needed to win it ALL before he could enjoy such a luxury. That said, there's been some REALLY GOOD Head Coaches that were unable to excell in a dual role of Head Coach and GM. Mike Holmgren and how about Tom Coughlin in Jax?

- Tom F. (I MISS Lindy infante's innovation then again you gotta have a Kosar, Mack and Byner to pull off such a thing)

Not to bust your chops Ballpeen but HOW are you certain what is done from above and what is done from the Head Coach?

Because I know all....you don't know that?? LOL

So, you think Savage and or Lerner are telling Romeo to not play Harrison??

I don't know what to say...

I will stick to my assessment that Romeo was told to start Quinn and start playing some of the others.

A cold started to nail me to the wall yesterday, and has me pinned this morning, so the mind isn't ready to wrap around anything too in depth, so I will have to get back with you in a day or two when I can put together more than a few lines in reply.

I say If we finish 9-7 and less..You fire the guy because...Youre going backwards...not forward...Its simple logic...Me personally...I didnt like the hiring of RAC from the start,.,,I think all we did was waste time with this dufus...god bring someone in here with a damn clue!

I say If we finish 9-7 and less..You fire the guy because...Youre going backwards...not forward...Its simple logic...Me personally...I didnt like the hiring of RAC from the start,.,,I think all we did was waste time with this dufus...god bring someone in here with a damn clue!

So I take that as a vote to get rid of the guy. ;)

of course...would you keep someone whose not been very adept at on field management and whose defense never seems to improve?

Because I know all....you don't know that?? LOL

So, you think Savage and or Lerner are telling Romeo to not play Harrison??

"OH THURSTON!"

I hope I spelled out I did NOT know this but you REALLY made me wonder when you said Savage was making all the decisions. Now you seem to be clarifying that RAC only makes the BAD decisions and all the good ones come from above him.

My thought process: If a GM gets an owner to open his wallet for a guy for THIS season (ie; Lewis) and RAC plays another RB instead - Does that make Lerner question Savage as to "WHY did you make me pay Lewis when the kid I SHOULD have paid was Harrison?" Could you see this question and potential trust issue arising and would Savage LIKE it? He's still new to this GM thing so there's an ego factor and seeing it through thing going on with empowering RAC to make Lewis work. The problem is Lewis didn't come to the 2008 camp with the same "I'll show Baltimore" venegeance because he got a nice raise. Now he looks exactly like the player Baltimore found to be easily repaceable.

A similar situation is Andra Davis got a raise from Savage 2 years ago so does Leon Williams play MORE or less than Davis at ILBer? I think we saw what 2 ILBers are starting at Buffalo. The 2nd round LBer (Jackson) and the contract extended/raised Davis over say the 4th/5th round Leon Williams and the 4th round Beau Bell. The 2 higher paid guys are starting right? I have to believe Savage has a say in WHOM we look to on game day and our future but sometimes this gets incovenient if it interferes with placing 100% of the blame on RAC.

And when it was assumed we did NOT have a suitable return game replacement for Northcutt - Savage gave Northcutt enough love salary-wise to stay and then he also gave him a 2 million $ roster bonus inspite of disappointing in the passing game. I continued to hear we didn't have a suitable replacement for Northcutt while Cribbs was on our team being coached how to judge depths of punts. Did the coaches do a poor job of that? I noticed we ONLY wanted to give Savage credit for Cribbs' emergence even though he was the one that ASSUMED we needed to overpay Northcutt for less. I know Savage gave raises to Bodden, Roye, Davis, and Northcutt but he hasn't coughed up anything for Cribbs. Seems odd to me. Now there's talk he MIGHT play RB and Cribbs' agent has to be thinking - pay us or lose us.

And when DA got a payhike - we had to PRETEND that there's no such thing as a Matt Ryan or a Joe Flacco because the Browns beat alot of teams averaging 4-5 wins in 2007. Do we KNOW what person in our organization is REALLY responsible for Quinn being here? I mean Savage wanted credit for finding DA at the price of an open bag of stale potato chips. That said, I read some articles where Lerner wanted his staff to dot their i's and cross their t's for some pre-draft assessments of Quinn. It appeared a KEY player in the research of Quinn was RAC's dear friend Charlie Weis so I can't help but question if there's a whole lot more we don't know. Again, we have all sorts of fans claiming they KNOW who is responsible for things like WHO is the face of our franchise. I'm not sold RAC wasn't just a pawn in this thing and because he got a raise so the least he could do is handle the media relations and toss out some dumb quotes justifying why Dumb Ass just played Kris Kringle to another defense.

Is it common for Head Coaches to leapfrog GMs about decisions on the franchise player (QB)? That's what everyone keeps telling me about the decision of DA over Quinn for such a bizaare extended length of 2008. All Savage has to say to RAC is I just gave you a raise to handle the media concerns and that comes with the territory of being Head Coach instead of DC now.

BTW, who made the decision to give Todd Granthom a raise? And when was the first time we heard about his lack of professionalism as a DC? That leads me to believe NOBODY knows what's really gong on.

I HOPE we get a better Head Coach but as we've learned: the mere act of firing one scapegoat only to land the next scapegoat doesn't work UNLESS it's going to be a GOOD chemistry between GM and Head Coach. With Butch took us as far as his 3rd season before we said "UH-OH" that followed our only playoff appearance since returning. Bearing that in mind, what season # is this with RAC? And doesn't it get clouded by a 10-6 record the season before? Finding the RIGHT Head Coach is going to be the most important decision Savage makes. When Policy's "we're gonna compete right away" was punctuated with "Chris Palmer wasn't our 1st or 2nd choice" - it was later assumed Butch Davis was the reason this franchise fermented on 2 porcelin pillars from 99 and 2000 when in actuality he reversed 5-27 with playoffs just 2 years later BEFORE he completely botched up GM duties he didn't deserve.

Did we HONESTLY like Bill Belichick any more than we're liking RAC? He was here 5 years and we had 1 winning season. We hated every OC he had while guys like Jackson, Rison and Derrick Alexander were dropping balls like Antonio Bryant, Braylon Edwards and Dennis Northcutt have done in this regime. We also had guys like Keenan McCardell sitting the bench while watch higher paid players underperforming the same way Harrison watches Lewis and Quinn watched Derrick Anderson in 2008. DA does a very good impersonation of Todd Philcox btw. Truth is NE wasn't all that thrilled with Bill BEFORE Brady reversed winless football by Bledsoe right? Rumor has it the GM and owner over there make the life of a Head Coach pretty good. They're all on the same page and the same holds true in Indy. There's Coordinators like Sagnola that excite me BUT we don't have the pass rushers, character and team speed on defense they have to allow him the same level of success here. That team is deep at WR, RB, Oline, DE, Secondary and TE - we never seem to handle depth issues well like replacing Robaire Smith and Shaun Smith seems troublesome. NY replaces Osi Youmeanbasterd with Mathias Kiwanuka. A guy like Ryan Powell was 4th on their depth chart behind Jacobs, Ward and Bradshaw just to illustrate how freakin easy that team might be to coach.

- Tom F.

Great post flug and it does make you wonder but at some point we have to stop starting completely over or we will never win. Somone that is on the inside, namely Lerner, needs to open their damn eyes and see whot he culprit is and fix it.

You mean to tell me Lerner cant go out and get a football guy that knows his shit to run football operations for him. If he doesnt want to pay attention to what goes on here fine, just pay someone to do it for you and someone that gives a shit. It truly falls on Lerner not bringing the right people into the FO.

Flugs, I love your posts, but none of the handcuffing we see has anything to do with the poor preparation, game decisions, and downright bad play - that's coaching.

Savage might be pulling some strings, but the HC, if he REALLY believes in a player(s) can decide whether to put that player in. If he is correct, he's kicking the chair out from under the GM because he shows he DOES know what he's doing.

These guys aren't normal people who *need* the job - they actually CAN stand up for their principals because they make so much money, I'd think they would have quite a bit socked away.

Do you think a Cowher (or Marty) would let a GM dictate to him who was going to play and who isn't?

Great post flug and it does make you wonder but at some point we have to stop starting completely over or we will never win. Somone that is on the inside, namely Lerner, needs to open their damn eyes and see whot he culprit is and fix it.

You mean to tell me Lerner cant go out and get a football guy that knows his shit to run football operations for him. If he doesnt want to pay attention to what goes on here fine, just pay someone to do it for you and someone that gives a shit. It truly falls on Lerner not bringing the right people into the FO.

Thanks bud! In corporate America if one's manager has a set of objectives he/she wants one to work on so the team can achieve their goals - is it easy to defy that?

I bring up our overcommitment to Lewis in 2008 following his payhike to stay means that playing a guy like Harrison instead would be like going against what one's manager in Corporate America is asking of them. When Savage commits payhikes to Northcutt, Davis and Lewis - he's telling his head coach I'm empowering you to make therm work. Where this gets problematic is what IF Savage overrated someone or they no LONGER have what he hoped they'd have? After we gave raises to Orpheus Roye and Leigh Bodden - were they the SAME players or even capable of being the same players? So what does overcommiting to them do for the Head Coach in charge of operatiopn cram square peg into round hole? It makes him the fall guy and scapegoat. Look at the SAME shit Policy did to this franchise choosing Wynn over Brady, Milanovich over Warner, Couch #1 and Brown #1. Chris Palmer got 100% the blame and we didn't dare hold Policy accountable.

People get REALLY pissed if we add any accountability to Savage because they think RAC is such an easy fix. Who gave Todd Granthom a pay raise? And who got burned by it most once we learned what really went on to justify the walking papers?

I'd LOVE it to be as easy changing only 1 symptom of an infection so this franchise is at optimal health and efficiency. Trouble is I'm still looking at these elusive "next year" promises. It took us 4 years to get our first GOOD Nose Tackle BUT he's gettign oxygen on the sidelines udring 50% of our defensive plays because NOBODY behind him can tackle anyone to get us off the field. Of course that's bad coaching but don't tell me D'Qwell Jackson plays with better instincts somewhere else or he'll prefer to hit with his shoulder rather than grabbing ankles. We've brought in countless LBers like Matt Stewart, Nick Speegle, David McMillan, Shantee Orr, Antwaan Peek, Leon Williams and Beau Bell and I'm still looking at a 3-4 with a cavity at LBer. You can't tell me it's ALL bad coaching because these guys are a bunch of stiffs if were being honest. To become a Mike Singletary or Ray Lewis you're gonna have to have some God-given instinct. Marvin Lewis did not MAKE Ray Lewis any more than than Buddy Ryan made Mike Singletary any more than BB made LT. These guys were college football's finest because of the God-givens NOT the coaching. I'm not saying they don't NEED coaching - I'm just saying they're special players. Clay Matthews was the SAME stud he was at USC whether his Head Coach was Sam, Marty, Bud, Bill or whoever.

If Spagnola came here and was told make these stiffs something they're not - we'd be right back where we are today. We HAVE to find BETTER LBers and we need MORE than just Shaun Rodgers up front. We're paying serious cake to Corey Williams and I'm not understanding the rationale to lose draft picks and enormous cap commitment based on what I've seen from him. Sorry folks. When his guys do X-stunts inside - there isn't tiny RBs putting their ILBer on their fannies like Ray Rice did to D'Qwell. The REASON we ONLY try to blitz our DBs off the edge is because our manpower in other places isn't up to snuff. That's inconvenient so I know I'll get an earful.

I coached defense at the high school level right out of college so I KNOW good LBer play when I see it. My job wasn't to MAKE LBers - my job was to have the player I trusted most with the things I taught on the field. I never gave myself credit for the X-factor we had at ILBer. That was all him. I never invented 1 drill that was used before me or one that made a LBer out of anyone. I simply PLAYED the kids I trusted most. When I was hired, I learned they hadn't won a game on the Freshman level in 3 years. My first game we were down 22-0 at half and on the games final play we attempted a 36 yard field goal to break a 22-22 tie but the kick bounced off the upright. We won games that year and the next year we came in second place and beat the undefeated first place team in the process. Truth be told, COACHES didn't win games the KIDS won games. When we're playing Baltimore at we intercept Flacco - the way to make that work isn't to throw an INT to Ray Lewis for a TD and then do the same thing to Ed Reed a little while later. That's not coaching, that's Dumb Ass being Dumb Ass.

I liked Savage's 2007 draft a lot so I think he's learning some things along the way. And as Fooleez reminded me I can't blame Savage for injuries any more than I could blame Butch for Jamir tearing his achilles when we were planning our 2002 defense around his pas rushing strengths. I'd LOVE to see Savage find BETTER LBers (no has-beens please) and a game changing Safety like an Ed Reed or a Sanders or a Pollyneedsahaircut. I know they don't grow on trees BUT wasn't Sanders a second round Safety? Let's get a USC LBer and then a Safety next draft.

- Tom F.

Flugs, I love your posts, but none of the handcuffing we see has anything to do with the poor preparation, game decisions, and downright bad play - that's coaching.

Agreed BUT that being the case, I wasn't seeing ALOT of people applauding our STs coach for a conference best average starting field position in 2007 NOR did I see people applauding Chud for our offensive explosion. Staying consistent with sayign these guys need praise - don't they deserve SOME criticism when things going bad?

My point is the Coordinators are in charge of time management so if that's a problem - let's blame the RIGHT person. When RAC was NE's DC - did he look like he didn't know how to coach? Why not? He had the RIGHT guys that anyone could coach.

Don't get the impression I'm HAPPY with RAC - I'm just trying to tell people it ain't just 1 symptom nor is there ANY guarantee the next guy is their dream HC. How many more guys are we going to audition?

I'll disgree with ANYONE that a PRO dlinemen that jumps offsides is NOT the coach. If high school kids know not to jump offsides - I can't blame the Head Coach for a PRO player that isn't smart enough to GET it. When we played Cincy, Corey Williams and Little combined for 5 offsides penalties. Now if Shaun Smith and Robaire Smith weren't already injured - we could SIT the dumb party on the bench. Injuries don't allow that so just like I can't blame Savage for injuries - I can't blame the head coach for the hand he's dealt at LBer and dline. Corey Williams sucks and I've seen Richard Seymour succeed when RAC coached him so the difference was the hand he was dealt.

Tedi Bruschi is instinctive while D'Qwell is not. I can't tell you how many INTs I've seen from Bruchi in important games and it's NOT because he's fast or well coached. It's because he's instinctive so changing his position from DE at the college level to ILBer at the pro level was doable. So Bruschi made RAC look like a better coach.

When MD Perry played in the Guard-Center gap - nobody jumped offsides more often than he did. Didn't mean Bud Carson couldn't coach - it just meant Perry wasn't always SMART. Simeon Rice says the BEST coach he every played for is the Head Coach for Detroit Rod Marinelli. Wanna bet there's a city full of Detroit fans that think Marinelli can't coach? And why? The personnel isn't good enough even if he COULD coach to matter.

Do all of Braylon's drops mean bad coaching from Wes Chandler or are they on Braylon? He scored 16 TDs in 2007 with the same coaching right? Head problems are part of innate character.

Do you know what I can't get out of my head? WHY is there only 1 COMPLETE game like we had vrs the NY Giants? That shows me it's on the PLAYERS more than we like to admit. When they're locked in they don't drop important passes or turn the ball over or mismanage clock.

- Tom F. (Football isn't played from the sidelines so you need thr RIGHT guys for the mission. Character is gi-normous to winning and so toughness and intelligence are part of that)

Again great points and I have to agree you cant make an orange out of an apple. But a coaches job is to get the best out of the talent he has. Take the strength of the guys he has and devolp a game plan that fits his players. These guys do not get to the NFL level with out having any talent. What makes a great coach great is getting the best out of his players and playing to there strengths. I dont see RAC doing that. I see him being bull headed in his game plans, making no adjustments and not playing to our strengths.

So while Savage needs to get some better talent on the field, we also need a coach to maximize the talent thats on the field. You are 100% correct in that we should not be over paying these guys either. A guy usally plays his best in a contract year. Why is that? Because they are playing all out to get that pay check. Well if they have that pay check, What are they playing for?

That comes down to do they love the game. We need to put more of an importance on getting guys that love to play football first and foremost. That is what makes a guy like Cribbs, undrafted but still a great great player. He has heart.

Lets hope like you said, that savage is learning and will continue on having better and better drafts. We cannot keep cleaning out house every 4 years and ever hope to have a good team. We need to get rid of glaring dead weight and move on from there. I think Savage should get one more year to improve and get usa coach in here that not only wants to win but KNOWS HOW TO WIN.

Good Gosh....sick or not...I can go toe to toe.

It isn't that Romeo is making all the bad decisions....and isn't a part of some of the good ones.....but these player moves are at the insistence of Savage and or Lerner...maybe mostly Lerner.

We just saw Phil send of a childish text message....a sign the pressure is getting to him.

A few weeks ago you and others were ripping Romeo for not playing Quinn...face it man....he didn't make the decision....he was TOLD what to do.

I don't mind some of your "homer" positions on BQ because I knew you could be right and said so all along.....but Romeo?? Come on man.....he is Phil's stooilie....it's why Phil like's him.

I would say the odds are really good Romeo is gone at seasons end, and better than 50/50 Savage is gone as well if we hire a HC who demands what most other coaches have......roster control.....you do know Savage has that control don't you??

Good Gosh....sick or not...I can go toe to toe.

It isn't that Romeo is making all the bad decisions....and isn't a part of some of the good ones.....but these player moves are at the insistence of Savage and or Lerner...maybe mostly Lerner.

We just saw Phil send of a childish text message....a sign the pressure is getting to him.

A few weeks ago you and others were ripping Romeo for not playing Quinn...face it man....he didn't make the decision....he was TOLD what to do.

I don't mind some of your "homer" positions on BQ because I knew you could be right and said so all along.....but Romeo?? Come on man.....he is Phil's stooilie....it's why Phil like's him.

I would say the odds are really good Romeo is gone at seasons end, and better than 50/50 Savage is gone as well if we hire a HC who demands what most other coaches have......roster control.....you do know Savage has that control don't you??

Oh really?!?! Seems to me I had quite the discussion piece you refrained from when I posted the topic about holding Savage at least equally accountable with RAC so I'm not sure what your smoking or sniffing today. The REAL truth is a few weeks ago in that Savage thread I started people were telling me I was 100% wrong when I said I thought Savage played a BIG role in who started at QB. I didn't notice your willingness to tell them all you disagreed.

Now, there's quite a few fans thinking it's 100% RAC's fault that Harrison doesn't play more. I feel like I gave a detailed explanation that I thought Savage gave Lewis a hefty raise to stay put in Cleveland as our workorse for 2008. That sure tells me RAC's boss wants to show Lerner WHY he's paying Lewis to be the workhorse so it only makes sense why RAC looks handcuffed on the number of reps he can allott to Harrison.

Along the same lines, I'm sure Lerner would ask WHY Savage felt it was so urgent to re-sign Andra Davis to a hefty raise a couple years ago if we were watching Leon Williams or Beau Bell starting in his place. The detailed explanation of this can also be found scrolling back up.

Again, I'm the guy saying Policy and Savage deserve some degree of accountability so I don't know WHERE or WHy you're grouping me into one of the ones saying or only disease is RAC. RAC's just 1 symptom. What I LIKED being reminded of by some people is that we had a really good 2007 draft so maybe Savage is turning the corner some.

It won't matter WHO our next Head Coach will be if he's not in synch with the guy calling the shots in the personnel dept. Remember Tom Donahoe from Pittsburgh when he and Cowher weren't in synch? Donahoe got his walking papers and ended up in Buffalo where he would get his walking papers again. Cowher would go on to win a Superbowl with a better tag-team between himself and the GM.

When I look at the bigger picture, RAC has already proven he can coach GOOD football players. It's WHY he was hired to come here in the first place. Savage was hired to bring RAC those good football players. I think we've completely whiffed on LBers and this is the FIRST time we've put a legitimate Nose Tackle on the apex of our defense in 4 years. When that Nose Tackle needs oxygen during 50% of our defensive plays - we suck for that HALF the time we play defense. I don't CARE who is coaching that group if they're not good enough to be out there.

When Policy came here - all I heard was "we're gonna run the West Coast offense" but we never got the RIGHT people to execute it. Now it's the 3-4 and I don't see any LBers that LIKE to hit or tackle people. I really wish ALL our problems would be solved if we just fired another head coach because that would mean easy fix. Has it ever been an easy fix?

- Tom F.

Oh really?!?! Seems to me I had quite the discussion piece you refrained from when I posted the topic about holding Savage at least equally accountable with RAC so I'm not sure what your smoking or sniffing today. The REAL truth is a few weeks ago in that Savage thread I started people were telling me I was 100% wrong when I said I thought Savage played a BIG role in who started at QB. I didn't notice your willingness to tell them all you disagreed.

Now, there's quite a few fans thinking it's 100% RAC's fault that Harrison doesn't play more. I feel like I gave a detailed explanation that I thought Savage gave Lewis a hefty raise to stay put in Cleveland as our workorse for 2008. That sure tells me RAC's boss wants to show Lerner WHY he's paying Lewis to be the workhorse so it only makes sense why RAC looks handcuffed on the number of reps he can allott to Harrison.

Along the same lines, I'm sure Lerner would ask WHY Savage felt it was so urgent to re-sign Andra Davis to a hefty raise a couple years ago if we were watching Leon Williams or Beau Bell starting in his place. The detailed explanation of this can also be found scrolling back up.

Again, I'm the guy saying Policy and Savage deserve some degree of accountability so I don't know WHERE or WHy you're grouping me into one of the ones saying or only disease is RAC. RAC's just 1 symptom. What I LIKED being reminded of by some people is that we had a really good 2007 draft so maybe Savage is turning the corner some.

It won't matter WHO our next Head Coach will be if he's not in synch with the guy calling the shots in the personnel dept. Remember Tom Donahoe from Pittsburgh when he and Cowher weren't in synch? Donahoe got his walking papers and ended up in Buffalo where he would get his walking papers again. Cowher would go on to win a Superbowl with a better tag-team between himself and the GM.

When I look at the bigger picture, RAC has already proven he can coach GOOD football players. It's WHY he was hired to come here in the first place. Savage was hired to bring RAC those good football players. I think we've completely whiffed on LBers and this is the FIRST time we've put a legitimate Nose Tackle on the apex of our defense in 4 years. When that Nose Tackle needs oxygen during 50% of our defensive plays - we suck for that HALF the time we play defense. I don't CARE who is coaching that group if they're not good enough to be out there.

When Policy came here - all I heard was "we're gonna run the West Coast offense" but we never got the RIGHT people to execute it. Now it's the 3-4 and I don't see any LBers that LIKE to hit or tackle people. I really wish ALL our problems would be solved if we just fired another head coach because that would mean easy fix. Has it ever been an easy fix?

- Tom F.

Well hell lets just fire the lot and start all over.

Lerner should know or find out who the hell the culprit is and take care of it. Fat chance of that happening.

All I want is someone to put a winning team on the field, I could give a rats ass if that means a new GM, Head Coach or both. Just get the damn job done.

Well hell lets just fire the lot and start all over.

Lerner should know or find out who the hell the culprit is and take care of it. Fat chance of that happening.

All I want is someone to put a winning team on the field, I could give a rats ass if that means a new GM, Head Coach or both. Just get the damn job done.

LOL! I hear ya bud! Very well put - thank you!

The LAST head coach that had us frequenting playoffs was Marty Schottenheimer. Love him or hate him, he wasn't coming from a talent-rich team elsewhere so there was NO culture shock involved with the challenge of reversing the fortune's of this franchise.

I fall into the hotshot coordinator trap myself. Everytime I get excited thinking about a guy like Spagnola I HAVE to ask myself if his direct Supervisor is going to be as knowledgeable as Tom Coughlin. Perhaps even MORE significant, how does a he coach a bunch of LBers petrified of hitting with a shoulder and a bunch of front 7 guys that confuse "sic em" with "heel boy" or better yet "sit!"

Spagnola has the luxury of picking which GM he will go work for and if they aren't GOOD at getting talent according to his needs - will he consider it fit for him? Money may talk BUT so does history. Let's face it - EVERY head Coach that has left here in recent years had their home phones ringing and family threatened. Meanwhile - NONE of the GMs have made their first mistake.

My brother's goofy friend once said: "Butch, getting a job is a piece of cake. I get hired all the time." The beauty of that sucker is he's never once needed a 2 week notice for ANY of the jobs he lost in the process. Another gem from the same knucklehead was: "Quitting smoking is easy - I've done it 1000 times." Being at a total loss for words in the reply all I could muster out was God bless ya! Best one ever: "Do you know what I told the sweat in my last interview when he asked so where do you see yourself in 5 years? Let's put it this way, you'll be fetching my coffee." What do you want - he's a Steeler fan.

- Tom F.

Archived