THE BROWNS BOARD

Phil Savage- Deadspin.com

titleist585

Guest ATENEARS
Wouldn't that make you somebody who throws good money after bad?

I just attend the games for the occasional free 8x10" towel or schedule magnet.

(once we got travel coffee mugs!)

Speak for yourself.

There's nothing spoiled brat about the Browns fans I know.

then go meet some more fans.....

this is the 4th board im about to leave cause all the incessant whining and bitching....im here for football, not to listen to the ill-content bitch about how they could do the FO/coaches jobs better.

Here's my problem with Savage in this whole situation, and no it's not that I've lost my confidence in him ONLY because of this e-mail. It's been a slowly developing issue I have seen with him (riffer, I'll say this..I am so glad a certain poster from the other board isn't here, he'd be rubbing this in my face big time).

I believe Phil Savage is a very good evaluator of talent. A very good draft expert, and a guy I'd love to have a beer with.

UNFORTUNATELY, this is NOT what a GM of a team should be.

The GM should be the person setting the direction for the franchise, developing the public relations campains that show the fans and the media what that direction is. And the GM should be the one controlling the look, sound and fell of the message that emenates from every person in the organization.

If there's a question about which player is starting this week, which player is being benched, why something happen on the field. The Coach should answer those questions. All other questions should be handled by the GM. If some aspect of a story needs a PR spin, that spin should eminate from the top down, and that is not what seems to be happening.

Let's look at a history.

First you have players like Bentley and others who while I feel they were not treated fairly as far as contracts and getting a chance to play goes, the story you hear from thier camps is that they were not treated fairly. To me that falls on Savage.

Then you have the Winslow debacle. In this instance you have a PR underling sending a text message to Winslow telling him to keep quiet about his staph. A text that should have never been sent. You have those discussions in person with Winslow. And then, when the Sh*T hits the fan, Savage is no where to be found in the early parts of it. It's his job at that point to step forward, take over the message of the "company" and make sure that message is clear.

And then this last mess. Do I love that Savage has some fire in his belly? Do i LOVE that Savage gets sick and tired of the "You can turn this thing around in 2 years" crowd?? Of course I do. But that doesn't excuse such a rookie, rookie, embarrasingly rookie PR mistake as this one.

And that history tells me that While savage strenghts like in evaluating talent, his weaknesses in all the other aspects of being a GM may be bad enough to not make up for that.

And this is a hard realization for me to come to. I believe Savage has had a plan all along to build this team the way he has. There have been bumps and suprises both good and bad along the way, but I think he is building a good framework for this team to be competitive for years to come.

SO no, I will not call for him to be fired. But I can't help but state how disapointed this last year has made me in him. and it has nothign to do with the record on the field.

Jaiel would be crowing for a month over you Golf. I still don't think he actually had a clue about Savage before, it just so happened that it worked out kinda like he said. Sort of like da ich and Gillooly telling us everybody sucks. When some of them do, they can claim they were right.

It's a bit of a disappointment, but we'll still have to see how this affects the team in the long run. I don't see that big of a deal really, it comes down to the talent on the field. He's never had an issue getting FA's and I think some folks actually like his showing emotion from time to time.

It looked like an e-mail I would have sent. I could care less who the fuk sent it. Fans get upset and write stuff. That's what fans do. General managers don't reply to that stuff. That's what general managers do. Savage replied to the damn thing and not only that, he told the guy to fuk himself. That's not what general managers do.

He needs to be fired for that, and the fact that this team is still a piece of shit 4 years after he took over as head honcho. He won't fire a woefully pathetic coach, he paid alot of money for alot of players that didn't pan out and drafted alot of players that are completely worthless. In fact the only players he really did well on either fell into his lap or were no brainer round 1 picks, give or take a cornerback or two. He also totally whiffed on the whole Winslow situation and made us look like a pitiful franchise.

The dude is really falling apart and making himself look like a whack job. Take him out back and finish him.

He needs to go back to being a scout and that's it. He had some good moves with the team but his bad outweighs his good and the fact that he's tied himself to Romeo seals his fate.

Nice try Randy but it didn't work, again.

Maybe you should give up too.

better question: why are our fans so damn immature to send baiting emails? why do they incessantly whine and bitch? why do our fans have such a short memory....about a weeks worth? and furthmore, why dont they show a little class?

think about it......crybabies.

better question: why are our fans so damn immature to send baiting emails? why do they incessantly whine and bitch? why do our fans have such a short memory....about a weeks worth? and furthmore, why dont they show a little class?

Maybe it's because most fans HAVE NEVER SEEN THE BROWNS WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP. Losing year after year, and not even sniffing a Super Bowl kinda makes the fans impatient and surly. Phil is an idiot for even responding to emails from fans, that is what his PR dept. is for. Duh.

I agree that you do not respond to emails like this, no matter how high your rank in a company or organization. Just let them go, they arent worth responding to.

However, for the people saying PS needs to be fired over this incident is completely and utterly ridiculous. Should he be repremanded, probably so, fine him, or whatever, but not grounds for firing. Unless there are prior situations that would constitute a firing on this issue, but as far as any of us know, this is a first and hopefully last of something like this.

Im the VP of a company and if I fired every person for their first mistake, we wouldnt be in business, if you remember, all of us our human, all of us err and noone is perfect. Quite frankly, none of us would have jobs or even be able to function at all if we all got fired or a very severe punishment for stupid mistakes we make.

He obviously is a smart man to be in such a high position and I'm sure he knows he made a mistake and it won't happen again. I know most would say he should know better, and he should, but not grounds for firing.

Well you may not know this yet JD, but I work in politics (ducks things people start throwing at him) and repsonding to critical and inflamatory e-mails like this is a basic PR NO-NO. You have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

there are many sayings that apply here, but my favorite is.

Never argue with a fool, people might not notice the difference.....

:unsure: "never get in an arguement with a Skunk"

Maybe it's because most fans HAVE NEVER SEEN THE BROWNS WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP. Losing year after year, and not even sniffing a Super Bowl kinda makes the fans impatient and surly. Phil is an idiot for even responding to emails from fans, that is what his PR dept. is for. Duh.

Then they (fans) should be used to it by now.I mean 40 years + thats' a long enough time to get used to it ...Actually, not winning a Football Championship is starting to get habit forming for the Browns :angry::blink:

Cuz most Browns fans never had any class and never will :rolleyes:

^exactly.....how do you become impatient after 40 years?

most of those bitching weren't even conceived when the browns last won a crown; this is purely based off ancient history about a once storied franchise.

phils getting it from all angles....surely he's frustrated as well based on the response. idiots fans sending these types of emails isn't contructive, and only sends a negative message about the fanbase.

i wouldn't wanna play/work for the browns knowing what i know about us either.....

Guest Aloysius

PFW ran this comment from an anonymous NFL source:

“How can you fly off the handle like (Browns GM Phil Savage) did when you are in a position of leadership? You have to have thick skin to let criticism roll off. What does (telling a fan off) say about a person’s ability to lead? Savage might be a good evaluator — but he has failed the Browns as a leader. And I’m not talking about this incident. There has been too much going on behind closed doors for too long. Between the head coach and the GM, it’s still a very dysfunctional organization. I know the (league office) contacted the Browns, but I don’t know if he was fined. I would be surprised if he wasn’t — he left the league with a big black eye.”

Here's my problem with Savage in this whole situation, and no it's not that I've lost my confidence in him ONLY because of this e-mail. It's been a slowly developing issue I have seen with him (riffer, I'll say this..I am so glad a certain poster from the other board isn't here, he'd be rubbing this in my face big time).

I believe Phil Savage is a very good evaluator of talent. A very good draft expert, and a guy I'd love to have a beer with.

UNFORTUNATELY, this is NOT what a GM of a team should be.

The GM should be the person setting the direction for the franchise, developing the public relations campains that show the fans and the media what that direction is. And the GM should be the one controlling the look, sound and fell of the message that emenates from every person in the organization.

If there's a question about which player is starting this week, which player is being benched, why something happen on the field. The Coach should answer those questions. All other questions should be handled by the GM. If some aspect of a story needs a PR spin, that spin should eminate from the top down, and that is not what seems to be happening.

Let's look at a history.

First you have players like Bentley and others who while I feel they were not treated fairly as far as contracts and getting a chance to play goes, the story you hear from thier camps is that they were not treated fairly. To me that falls on Savage.

Then you have the Winslow debacle. In this instance you have a PR underling sending a text message to Winslow telling him to keep quiet about his staph. A text that should have never been sent. You have those discussions in person with Winslow. And then, when the Sh*T hits the fan, Savage is no where to be found in the early parts of it. It's his job at that point to step forward, take over the message of the "company" and make sure that message is clear.

And then this last mess. Do I love that Savage has some fire in his belly? Do i LOVE that Savage gets sick and tired of the "You can turn this thing around in 2 years" crowd?? Of course I do. But that doesn't excuse such a rookie, rookie, embarrasingly rookie PR mistake as this one.

And that history tells me that While savage strenghts like in evaluating talent, his weaknesses in all the other aspects of being a GM may be bad enough to not make up for that.

And this is a hard realization for me to come to. I believe Savage has had a plan all along to build this team the way he has. There have been bumps and suprises both good and bad along the way, but I think he is building a good framework for this team to be competitive for years to come.

SO no, I will not call for him to be fired. But I can't help but state how disapointed this last year has made me in him. and it has nothign to do with the record on the field.

That was a very insightful post bud! You brought up stuff I wasn't even thinkign about. Nice job! I Started out LOVING the guy for his work ethic and ambition to be good. He's just not seasoned enough for ALL that goes into such a job and with the lack of competance supervising him right now IMO. We gotta be careful not to make this more about a nice guy than being the right fit for our niche in Cleveland. Parcells ain't a NICE guy but look at what he's done to a team that was 1-15 dysfunction 365 days ago. I don't think Parcells could have pulled this off at Savage's age if I really thinkl about it. He needed the wisdom from experience superceeding nice guy, hard work and wanting to be successful.

Some day Savage may evolve into the right GM for an owner that has football as prioriy #1.

- Tom F.

Archived