THE BROWNS BOARD

Derek Anderson Blasts YOU

Earl34

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anybody has the right to blast a team or its fans, it's DA. This guy was surrounded by absalute crap for a roster and was the guy taking the fall for every loss. He has had 5 OCs and 4 HCs in his career. 3 OCs before he turned 25! He NEVER got a full training camp or preseason despite what Quinn fans say. His job was never secure. I recall even after a 3 game winning streak in 2007 where DA was playing exceptional, the questions were still about how him playing well would effect Brady Quinn's playing time. ARE YOU F'N KIDDING ME?! He has been answering questions about his backup for 3 years. Notice his best games were the first half of 2007. I don't find it coincidental that nothing at that time suggested him being replaced. It wasn't until early November of 2007 when people starting asking about his backup and how much time he would get in 2008, that he started the DA stuff most of you will remember him for. The guy has been playing tight since the end of 2007. Why? Because he knew that if he didn't go 25/30 with 2 TDs and 0 ints, that he could very well lose his job. And we all knew it. Except Ron Jaworski on ESPN who said that DA was his absolute favorite young player to watch on film in 2007. He went though his reads, he could make every throw, and he didn't take sacks. Now imagine being a 23 year old hillbilly QB who just got off the Jim Rome show talking about about how well you've been playing; only to leave the green room and answer questions about your handsome backup QB; and how well you think he's doing in practice. I would have some ill feelings for this town too. And as he reminded us, he was cheered when he got hurt.

I don't think fans realize just how young the guy was when he got here. He's only a few months older than Quinn and he's been through a lot of systems and had to play with some really, really bad teams. It wasn't all him by any means. And what's even worse is the fan base didn't just prefer the handsome golden domer, but they seemed to out right hate DA. I mean after all he was the only thing between them and their hot-pants QB right? Quinn was obviously a superstar waiting to happen but the ugly stepsister DA was in the way. These last 3 years with BQ/DA have been like something I have never seen before in professional sports and will likely never see again. It was just ugly from the orginization down to the fans. It has been disgusting. I have seen fans choose hometown sex symbol over their team. And to make matters worse, I saw fans hoping for the team to fail! Fans were ignoring principal formulas for winning just so they could "see what Quinn can do". Absolutely sickening. As dumn as Steelers fans are, not even they have stooped so low and emberassed other fans this much.

I know I sound like DA's attorney but this 3 year circus has been a roller coaster of lost perspectives, fanboy mentalities, reverse evolution, and full on man/love/gay/misguided/uninformed/irrational/booze induced ass backwards persepectives and behaviors for the sake of "seeing what he can do". In a vaccum that is just assinine; but when it comes at the expense of the entire team, then it's almost criminal.

Didn't we laugh at Tim Couch when he got hurt too. We r fans and we pay damn good money to watch these players do their job, if its cheering for a td or for someone getting hurt, it dont matter, we still put money in their pockets. DA you have always blamed the other person for your wrong doing's. Now you are gone, and I am happy for that, thanks for the 1st Cincy game in 2007 and go F**k yourself for the 2nd one.

So you feel you have a right to speak your mind anytime, and DA does NOT????...

I agree with DA and how he was treated...this is a BQ luv fest in Cleveland, why??..I'll never know...he's a NO TALENT PUNK,.

DA will be fine, I can't blame him for wanting to get out...

NOW Seneca Wallace will be treated like a dime store bitch every time he see any playing time...

YOU GO DA and get yourself some real talent to work with and some real class fans......

No need to be part of this Brady Quinn HOMOFEST anymore... <_<

Qbs that whine and lash out at fans like DA did ruins there chance to again in the league. No team is going to want that; it show immaturity, lack of disicipline, and someone who cann't take the pressure of the fans; cann't take the pressure of a 300lb def lineman chasing his sorry ass around the field.

conversely, you think any QB's wanna play here knowing they'll get booed when they go down? you think the respect for the cleveland fanbase exists outside of said fanbase?

this is like 2 children fighting over the best toy in the sandbox. in the end, their both whinging and crying.

conversely, you think any QB's wanna play here knowing they'll get booed when they go down? you think the respect for the cleveland fanbase exists outside of said fanbase?

this is like 2 children fighting over the best toy in the sandbox. in the end, their both whinging and crying.

have you seen the clip of philly fans throwing ice and snowballs at SANTA!!! Thats classless.

I was at the SD game in Cleveland when it was about 2 degrees out. Moved down from the nose bleeds and sat at the fifty yard line about 100 ft behind the Browns bench. The entire second half DA sat on the end of the Gatorade cart and spat into a garbage can every 20 seconds, looking off past the scoreboard with a blank faint stare.

My buddy looked over at me (After working all day...outside in the snow.... at a steel yard) and said.... "Where can I get a gig like that and make that kind of money..."

Anyway you slice it, most of these guys are whiney, spoiled morons. Alot of us fans (especially in our area) work at jobs that there is a chance of being disfigured and/or killed on a daily bais, (one of my good friends was hit by a steel beam that fell from a crane and now sits in a wheelchair for the rest of his lfe) and this dude wants to complain about being booed at his job...

Sorry about your luck DA.... sucks that you've been blessed enough to play football for a living.... is there anything else we can do for you?

Is he allowed to be mad? Yeah.

Does he have a right to be mad? Yeah.

Should the Browns have made better decisions in personnel/FO during DA's tenure? Yeah.

Was the fans cheering his injury classless? Yeah.

Was the fans cheering the majority opinion? NO.

But seriously, lashing out at the fans is pretty foolish. He had one decent season (4 total with the Browns) with a bad second half and a terrible, playoff blowing, performance and he still got a 3 year extension. DA is a professional football player (well, on paper anyway), and professional athletes live in a glass house. They're also expected to have a higher quality of character than other people, which is why they're so heavily scrutinized when they do something stupid (see Ben Roethlisberger, Tiger Woods).

Cleveland fans ARE ruthless. Why? Because we've had way too many freaking losers on our teams and we don't really have much tolerance for it anymore. TBH, DA's words only confirm that Holmgren made the RIGHT choice. To say we don't deserve a winner? That's just classless and brash. He should have just given the standard answer and taken his licks and signed with a new team. I'll be amazed if he gets a starting job after saying dumb crap like that. He wasn't that good to begin with.

You know what is great about Cleveland fans? If you win, we'll come to every game, give you a key to the city, bake you cookies, and throw you a freaking parade every day for a month. Yeah we come to games even when the teams stink, and Browns tickets sell like crazy even now, but in December when the team has quit playing, who wants to come to that crap? But if they're winning, you can bet that place will be packed out whether it's Lake Effect snow or not.

Great moves Holmgren & co. It's nice to finally see some real leadership in the front office.

DEREK HAS A RIGHT TO BE MAD. I love the Browns and am as loyal of a fan as there is, but you don't cheer the guy for getting injured, especially after he gave you the best season in over a decade. Browns have wonderful fans, and we also have A LOT of white trash hillbillies who don't know squat about the game that love to just act like a drunken fool in the stands on Sundays.

Everyone always talks about our great, loyal fan base, but we are not good fans as a whole. Same with the Cavs and Indians, when we are winning we love our team and fill the seats, but when we lose, we don't give a crap. The tribe may not sell out a HOME OPENER and if Lebron leaves Cleveland the Cavs would go under!

Cleveland sticks with their teams and never roots for a new squad, I will give them that, but we have way to many rude drunks representing US, THE GOOD FANS. I would venture to say that a majority of people on this board can be respected, coming to a forum like this to discuss detailed football topics. YOU GUYS KNOW WHO I AM TALKING ABOUT, and whether you want to admit it or not, you know that our fans are not what we make them out to be.

I was ashamed to be a Browns fan when we cheered D.A. getting hurt. That's something Philly would do.

Remember the Cincy coach yelling at his fans, this isn't Cleveland -- he had a point.

Bottlegate, as well.

I am just sick to my stomach again, remembering how terrible we really are.

this is true, but sadly happens everywhere in the league really with few exceptions. There's always good fans enjoying the game, and likewise there's drunken idiots ruining it for everyone. I honestly feel we were more cheering for another QB to come in than DA getting hurt, but it still wasn't called for at all. He may of had a point, but if it weren't for Cleveland he wouldn't of had a job in this league or made millions of dollars. He had to see his release coming sooner than later.

I look forward to his return to Cleveland, he's a marked man now.

I'm pretty sure that the players know it will buy them Franchise like credibility with the fans if they are the one to knock him out of the game.

Sounds all well and good for a movie, but the fact is, that team respects the hell out of him. Remember he was voted their MVP in 2007. Granted, their will be about a 99% roster turnover from 2007 but again, he didn't bash the team, he bashed the clueless fans that cheered his injury.

Haha right after Stan praises DA, DA shits on all Browns fans!!!

Well I personally don't care about DA.

I hoped for the best when he was here but I don't miss him now.

But

He's right.

If you cheer an injury to one of your players you're an asshole.

I doubt it's much different anywhere he'll go but that's the fact.

WSS

Sounds all well and good for a movie, but the fact is, that team respects the hell out of him. Remember he was voted their MVP in 2007. Granted, their will be about a 99% roster turnover from 2007 but again, he didn't bash the team, he bashed the clueless fans that cheered his injury.

Yeah maybe, some of those players are sick mofo's.

Anyway I don't see him being a starter in this league ever again,

In training camp the guy looks like a stud, come game time he's a dud.

It sounds like this town still has the wrong perspective on this QB thing. Like it or not, DA gave us the best offensive season we have seen in a long time. And he is still, the best QB we've had since coming back. I know its all relative but he deserves a little credit. He didn't write up his contract and he didn't lead the league in drops or missed games due to injury. He also didn't give up on routes leaving passes up for grabs.

The fact is, we have had two QBs playing here for the last 3 years in a no-win situation. I think DA supporters (myself included) know that out of the two QBs, DA had a much higher upside. I've asked it before but nobody has ever answered it. Which one of these two guys would you want on their best day? On their worst days, we lose nomatter what. What about their best day? It's DA by a landslide. It's not a love fest, it's logic.

I hope Quinn does well for our sake but I defy anyone to tell me what he has ever shown in college or the pros that says he can play in this league. And I still believe he will be dealt before draft day.

I love the Browns and I think we have some of the best fans in the world, but it did make me cringe hearing people boo DA when he got hurt. I am all for booing for bad performances, but booing your own players when they get injured is classless regardless of how they are performing. That being said, DA was a pariah from the time BQ was signed to fans, he f*cked up everyone's plans of BQ coming in on a white horse and being the Browns savior when he had that amazing '07 season. He saw BQ get all of this love and quite frankly slack from fans when BQ played horribly and then DA would come in, throw and incompletion and get booed. All this being said, I am not crying in my soup that he is gone. I don't think he or we as an organization have the time that it is going to take to get DA's head right and develop him into a good QB. I get his hard feelings and I look forward to the Browns playing the team he lands on (rivalry games are always fun). Assuming he isn't holding a clipboard on the sidelines that is. Remember to stand behind the white line on the sidelines derek. That shit with the ref last year was embarrassing.

I still think he is an ass.

I FULLY AGREE that you don't cheer injured players. It's classless.

On the other hand, if you're a professional athlete who holds grudges against fans then you're too thin-skinned. You can be angry at the fans who booed you all that you want but coming out and making a blanket statement blasting the fan base is not the professional way to approach it.

This is the move of a 12 year old.

DA isn't any better at public relations than he was at quarterbacking.

If I was DA, I'd blast Browns fans too. Cheering when he's injured? Completely classless. You wonder why the Browns' are a complete joke? It's crap like this. I love Cleveland sports, but that city has some of the most myopic fans in sports. Get some perspective and realize that it's just football. Did DA deserve to get cut? Yeah, he did. No one deserves to have an entire city cheer for you to get hurt though. Browns fans need to grow up.

On a side, but related note, it seems like Big Ben's latest issues are the best thing going for Browns' fans right now. I've never seen a city actually wishing that someone was raped so they could smear a rival with it. Are you serious? I'm embarrassed to call myself a Browns fan and get lumped in with these mouthbreathers.

I still think he is an ass.

I FULLY AGREE that you don't cheer injured players. It's classless.

On the other hand, if you're a professional athlete who holds grudges against fans then you're too thin-skinned. You can be angry at the fans who booed you all that you want but coming out and making a blanket statement blasting the fan base is not the professional way to approach it.

This is the move of a 12 year old.

DA isn't any better at public relations than he was at quarterbacking.

I couldn't agree more. DA has to show more intelligence when dealing with the media and try to control his emotions when speaking to the media. Part of the sports star gig revolves in how you handle yourself after the game when you are being interviewed and situations such as getting cut. I understand he's disappointed and he feels like we didn't support him the way we should've. Hell, perhaps he was right in some cases but the bottom line is he didn't perform to the level of his contract. If he did, Mr. Anderson would be our starting QB for 2010.

The guy is a clueless , somewhat talented big-armed goof. One of those borderline talents with a big attribute(his amazing arm) that was able to catch the league sleeping for a little over half a season.

Quinn may not be the answer (i don't think he is) but one thing i can safely say is, i'm 100% certain DA wasn't either.

Careful there Metcalf. Your speaking the truth. You could get banned for that here. It doesn't matter how big a browns fan you are, never speak negative . Drink the kool-aid and pretend. The admins around here don't take kindly to negative remarks about the browns no matter how true. Heck, I finally signed up to post this warning after lurking here for a long time and I'll probably get banned for saying this. Sad

and if your gonna post a warning, at least get the shit right. apparently, you dont know anything about the mods here.

seriously, what an unworthwhile first post. if that was the best you had to offer maybe you're better off in the shadows lurking again.

if your post is in any danger of censorship it would be for the whining, not for anti-Browns rhetoric. i'll never be accused of NOT speaking my mind here, pro or con, and i've never been banned once.

Browns fans rarely get banned here for what they say but rather how they say it.

it's just the man-slobbering and whining that seems to bother Big Brother. avoid that and all should be well.

this is true, but sadly happens everywhere in the league really with few exceptions. There's always good fans enjoying the game, and likewise there's drunken idiots ruining it for everyone. I honestly feel we were more cheering for another QB to come in than DA getting hurt, but it still wasn't called for at all. He may of had a point, but if it weren't for Cleveland he wouldn't of had a job in this league or made millions of dollars. He had to see his release coming sooner than later.

and he could have prevented it if he really wanted. at the same price point i can't see them choosing Quinn over him.

with the high cost removed he had more value to us staying on the team. call me naive but i think restructuring his contract would have made a difference in him staying or being cut.

If anybody has the right to blast a team or its fans, it's DA. This guy was surrounded by absalute crap for a roster and was the guy taking the fall for every loss. He has had 5 OCs and 4 HCs in his career. 3 OCs before he turned 25! He NEVER got a full training camp or preseason despite what Quinn fans say. His job was never secure. I recall even after a 3 game winning streak in 2007 where DA was playing exceptional, the questions were still about how him playing well would effect Brady Quinn's playing time. ARE YOU F'N KIDDING ME?! He has been answering questions about his backup for 3 years. Notice his best games were the first half of 2007. I don't find it coincidental that nothing at that time suggested him being replaced. It wasn't until early November of 2007 when people starting asking about his backup and how much time he would get in 2008, that he started the DA stuff most of you will remember him for. The guy has been playing tight since the end of 2007. Why? Because he knew that if he didn't go 25/30 with 2 TDs and 0 ints, that he could very well lose his job. And we all knew it. Except Ron Jaworski on ESPN who said that DA was his absolute favorite young player to watch on film in 2007. He went though his reads, he could make every throw, and he didn't take sacks. Now imagine being a 23 year old hillbilly QB who just got off the Jim Rome show talking about about how well you've been playing; only to leave the green room and answer questions about your handsome backup QB; and how well you think he's doing in practice. I would have some ill feelings for this town too. And as he reminded us, he was cheered when he got hurt.

I don't think fans realize just how young the guy was when he got here. He's only a few months older than Quinn and he's been through a lot of systems and had to play with some really, really bad teams. It wasn't all him by any means. And what's even worse is the fan base didn't just prefer the handsome golden domer, but they seemed to out right hate DA. I mean after all he was the only thing between them and their hot-pants QB right? Quinn was obviously a superstar waiting to happen but the ugly stepsister DA was in the way. These last 3 years with BQ/DA have been like something I have never seen before in professional sports and will likely never see again. It was just ugly from the orginization down to the fans. It has been disgusting. I have seen fans choose hometown sex symbol over their team. And to make matters worse, I saw fans hoping for the team to fail! Fans were ignoring principal formulas for winning just so they could "see what Quinn can do". Absolutely sickening. As dumn as Steelers fans are, not even they have stooped so low and emberassed other fans this much.

I know I sound like DA's attorney but this 3 year circus has been a roller coaster of lost perspectives, fanboy mentalities, reverse evolution, and full on man/love/gay/misguided/uninformed/irrational/booze induced ass backwards persepectives and behaviors for the sake of "seeing what he can do". In a vaccum that is just assinine; but when it comes at the expense of the entire team, then it's almost criminal.

i get his frustration mopaji but you just don't burn a bridge that way. you don't paint the entire fanbase with a broad brush like that. we're talking about millions of fans.

..only to leave the green room and answer questions about your handsome backup QB; and how well you think he's doing in practice. I would have some ill feelings for this town too. And as he reminded us, he was cheered when he got hurt.
not me, i would have some ill feelings toward the media, politics, homerism, fair-weather fans...you know, all the responsible parties. not the diehards. and hearing cheering while getting hurt does not necessarily constitute cheering for the injury.

he needs to have the maturity to realize that while there apparently was cheering at the same time he incurred his injury, those two events could easily be mutually exclusive of one another. holding on to that moment and blasting us all for the sake of a few assholes at his first opportunity points to deep rooted issues about being in CLE in my opinion. especially when the guilty parties were potentially just Colts fans cheering the sack. perception is everything.

instead of addressing the one's who cheered specifically he said "we don't deserve a winner". we're not talking about why he wasn't successful (at least i'm not). i don't care if he was on a 15 year QB carousel, those words never should have left his mouth if he didn't believe them with every ounce of his soul. he meant to hurt us with those words mopaji, and a lot of us didn't do anything but support the guy.

we didn't hate you Derek. we didn't cheer your injury Derek. was there some adversity? sure, but it's everywhere. talk to Donovan McNabb about it, every year the fans call for his replacement. you know why fan opinion never matters in Philly? because he produces (and because they're fans obviously). when it comes down to it you haven't been productive for two years, so don't make this into something it's not. those you have a problem with weren't really fans bro. think before you speak.

so maybe this is where i'm supposed to be the bigger person for him and realize he wasn't talking to me when he said that. well okay, but egos can be a real pain in the ass. and i accept your scripted apology Derek.

If I was DA, I'd blast Browns fans too. Cheering when he's injured? Completely classless. You wonder why the Browns' are a complete joke? It's crap like this. I love Cleveland sports, but that city has some of the most myopic fans in sports. Get some perspective and realize that it's just football. Did DA deserve to get cut? Yeah, he did. No one deserves to have an entire city cheer for you to get hurt though. Browns fans need to grow up.

On a side, but related note, it seems like Big Ben's latest issues are the best thing going for Browns' fans right now. I've never seen a city actually wishing that someone was raped so they could smear a rival with it. Are you serious? I'm embarrassed to call myself a Browns fan and get lumped in with these mouthbreathers.

an entire city cheering for you to get hurt? we're not exaggerating a bit here, are we?

good grief it's not like the whole stadium erupted in applause, in fact the cheering isn't even discernible when you watch the replay. if it were so traumatizing i think the broadcast audio should have picked it up, otherwise it's just a handful of jerks (possibly Colts fans) making us all look bad.

Oh so we all hurt his feelings when we cheered his injury. It is probably because he was confused. He is so used to hearing us boo and curse him after throwing 45 picks and fumbling 21 times in 3 years. Sorry DA we should be the ones offended by your lack of skill level and stupid beards that you grow

It was a rather dumb and unprofessional thing to say, but frankly, to those who took offense to it, perhaps it hit close to home.

I was surprised that DA said that. He took heat from fans at OS too and never did much more than shrug. Sometimes a guy's personality comes out later in life in stressful situations. He should have kept his mouth shut. Its not the fans fault its the organization. In this case its an organization that is half baked, with no tradition (expansion teams rarely do have tradition) and that tries to fill seats with roster moves rather than winning. I think what DA was trying to say is its a situation that brings out the worst in individuals. But its still on the guy or the coach to do his job as a professional and not give in to a culture of give-up.

DA never reached his potential in CLE. He showed he could have lights out accuracy and make good decisions for one game at a time but not the next one. That shows he has talent but no consistency. He made find that at another site if he gets playing time and its a better situation where there is a system in place and not just a bunch of half-ass ideas. I think its weird that Browns have a winning streak going and DA had a part in it and he got cut. But its not surprising he got cut. Holmgren wants to cut out the taint so he started with the visible position.

Holmgren is no genius. He failed at being the GM in seattle and sorta burned out at coaching. Its his ego that's bringing him back. Behind that stache is the cold blooded certainty of a man who thinks he knows more than you and gets off on trying to prove it. Like every other coach in the NFL. He gravitated to this, the most impossible situation in the league because it offers him control. He's going to need that egomania to survive, he will need every ounce of it. Going to be very interesting to watch.

One thing you all didnt know about Seneca Wallace, he was an Oregon State Beaver at one point in his career:-)

Archived