THE BROWNS BOARD

Who is the most overrated player in the NFL?

jrb12711

Don't forget the "Ward Rule", put into place becuase Ward is a football player lining up at reciever, not a primodona. To bad some self-proclaimed "tough" linebackers and safetys couldn't play by the same rules every other defensive player played by the past 9 decades.

Yeah crack back blocks that are cheap shots, real bad ass, which by the way are seldom seen on the defensive side of the ball.

Plus holding on every other down.

Over rated.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't forget the "Ward Rule", put into place becuase Ward is a football player lining up at reciever, not a primodona. To bad some self-proclaimed "tough" linebackers and safetys couldn't play by the same rules every other defensive player played by the past 9 decades.

xxxx heinz ward. half the league is looking to lay this guy out. i know you're supposed to have your head on a 'swivel' when the ball gets turned over because everyone is game to get hit, but to go high or low on people is dirty and cheap. payback is a bitch. mark my words, he's gonna get his and when he does THEN I'LL CHEER MY ASS OFF!!!!

Did Jim Brown ever attempt a few halfback passes?

Jim Brown was never accused of any kind of sex offense.

He was only ever accused of taking a golf club to his own vehicle in anger. And he admitted that.

(of course, perhaps, to you, a golf club is an item of sexual desire?)

The 78 people in front of him have two healthy ACLs. This is more of a strech, but he needs 4,000 more all-purpose yards to put him in the top 25 all-time and surpass Jim Brown.

Did I see somewhere in the stats that have asterisks for injuries or retired early? I must of missed that. Let make a whole new list of projected stats for bitches like Ward. He's a dirty whiner there is no denying that. He's a bitch.

Yeah crack back blocks that are cheap shots, real bad ass, which by the way are seldom seen on the defensive side of the ball.

Plus holding on every other down.

Over rated.

No rule prevents defenders from laying blind side hits on Ward, so believe it or not they do......The rule book provided equal opportunity for both offensive players and defenders to lay blindside hits on eachother for 9 decades. Never had this rule been an issue. Besides Rivers, what defender has been injured by a blindside reciever block? Now, how many recievers have been seriously injured becuase they were tackled when the weren't looking?.....Why would a defender block someine blindside?....But they would tackle someone blindside. (just like anoffensive player wouldn't try to tackle a defender...they would try to block them...that seems simple, but maybe not...) You don't see me crying becuase defenders can tackle Ward even if Ward can't see it coming.....It's football

[On Ward's hit on Rivers] "Again, he [Hines Ward] was just playing football. He didn't mean to be cheap at all. That's the way Hines has always played the game."

-Chad OchoCinco

Did I see somewhere in the stats that have asterisks for injuries or retired early? I must of missed that. Let make a whole new list of projected stats for bitches like Ward. He's a dirty whiner there is no denying that. He's a bitch.

Does Ward not have the chance to retire early do to injury?......Again, those players PLAYED healthy and quit when they got injured. Ward has NEVER played a single second of highschool, college, or NFL ball with both of his ACLs. Who else can say that?

He was only ever accused of taking a golf club to his own vehicle in anger. And he admitted that.

Unless ESPN is lying, Brown has been accused of sexual assult and attempted murder.

"But for all Brown's good deeds and athletic prowess, there appears to be a dark side to him as well. He has been frequently accused of violent crimes, primarily toward women.

An 18-year-old accused Brown of forcing her to have sex after giving her whisky, but a jury found him innocent of assault and battery in the 10-day trial in 1965. He was accused of throwing his girlfriend from a balcony in 1968, but when the 22-year-old woman refused to name Brown as her assailant, the charge of assault with intent to murder was dropped. He was fined $300 for resisting a deputy."

Now, I am not saying he is guilty of this crime (like you and others are doing with Ben) becuase he was aquitted in the court of law. Although, considering YOU believe Ben is GUILTY despite not even being criminally charged, than it's only safe to assume you would think Brown is guilty becuase he actually went to court.

But even with the dropped charges, just on that one case mentioned above he has been criminally convicted of more crimes than Ben has EVER been.

xxxx heinz ward. half the league is looking to lay this guy out. i know you're supposed to have your head on a 'swivel' when the ball gets turned over because everyone is game to get hit, but to go high or low on people is dirty and cheap. payback is a bitch. mark my words, he's gonna get his and when he does THEN I'LL CHEER MY ASS OFF!!!!

If someone hits Ward even if Ward can't clearly see him coming will you and others on this board make dozens of threads saying that player is dirty and the hit was cheap?...You already answered that question in the comment above...which proves my point.....

"Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil" - Niccolo Machiavelli

Unless ESPN is lying, Brown has been accused of sexual assult and attempted murder.

"But for all Brown's good deeds and athletic prowess, there appears to be a dark side to him as well. He has been frequently accused of violent crimes, primarily toward women.

An 18-year-old accused Brown of forcing her to have sex after giving her whisky, but a jury found him innocent of assault and battery in the 10-day trial in 1965. He was accused of throwing his girlfriend from a balcony in 1968, but when the 22-year-old woman refused to name Brown as her assailant, the charge of assault with intent to murder was dropped. He was fined $300 for resisting a deputy."

Now, I am not saying he is guilty of this crime (like you and others are doing with Ben) becuase he was aquitted in the court of law. Although, considering YOU believe Ben is GUILTY despite not even being criminally charged, than it's only safe to assume you would think Brown is guilty becuase he actually went to court.

But even with the dropped charges, just on that one case mentioned above he has been criminally convicted of more crimes than Ben has EVER been.

Show me where the F**K I have ever said that BR is guilty of any crime. $100.00 says you can't. Put your money where your mouth is.

I have had some fun with the allegations at his expense, but I have never said seriously that I thought he was guilty of anything. Ask Freak of Steel.

Also, FYI, your link didn't work, so there is still some speculation about the accuracy of your claim about JB.

Show me where the F**K I have ever said that BR is guilty of any crime. $100.00 says you can't. Put your money where your mouth is.

I have had some fun with the allegations at his expense, but I have never said seriously that I thought he was guilty of anything. Ask Freak of Steel.

Also, FYI, your link didn't work, so there is still some speculation about the accuracy of your claim about JB.

My mistake. I responded with the question about Brown attempting halfback passes made by pumpkin eaters. You came to the defense of Brown by responding to my response to pumpkin. I didn't double check and assumed it was you who I originally asked the question too. (When it was actually pumpkin) Nowhere on this thread do you accuse Ben of being guilty of any crime. I think a few others should follow your lead. Of course I'm never against harmless fun and trash talk. Again, my mistake.

EDIT: The link worked for me. It did take a few seconds to come up for some reason. Here it is again, with the actual address.

http://espn.go.com/classic/biography/s/Brown_Jim.html

My quote came from the bottom of the page.

FYI: I think it was a shovel

"Prosecutors charge that Brown threatened to kill his wife during an argument, and that he broke the windows of her car with a shovel.

Police arrested Brown on June 15 after his wife, Monique Brown, called 911.

Monique Brown, 25, has recanted her original accusation, but the city attorney's domestic violence unit decided to prosecute her husband nevertheless. City attorney's officials said about two-thirds of domestic violence victims seen by the unit recant their stories.

Brown, who pleaded not guilty, has alleged that police coerced his wife to state that she was abused.

Jury selection is scheduled to continue today and opening arguments could begin Wednesday."

TO, Cutler, Urlacher, Champ Bailey, Chad Johnson, Joey Porter, Jared Allen (made invisible by JT), Boldin, Hester, DA (he's so bad that even thinking he's average is overrating him), Portis, Marshawn Lynch, Roy Williams (both), Palmer, Roid Monk, Brandon Marshall, Peterson......anybody that got more votes than JT for the Pro Bowl.

No rule prevents defenders from laying blind side hits on Ward, so believe it or not they do......The rule book provided equal opportunity for both offensive players and defenders to lay blindside hits on eachother for 9 decades.

I wouldn't say 9 decades maybe the early years but since the late 70's early 80's the rules have tamed the game down to what it is now, which favors receivers big time.

Never had this rule been an issue. Besides Rivers, what defender has been injured by a blindside receiver block?

A sh*t load of guys left the game early because of it. I remember watching an OTL's report where Mark Schlereth said they use to practice that block because it was so vicious and by doing so it would stop defenders from creeping up on the line of scrimmage. And in that same piece Mike Ditka said it was a staple back when he played and he loved it. And at the end of it both said it has no place in the NFL because of the amount of injuries sustained from it.

If you take away all of the Bull Sh*t blocks, late hits, and the holding that he seems to get away with, is he really an awesome blocking WR?

Nope.

He's overrated.

Look I know the Steelers are the enemy but one of the few players in the league I respect is Hines Ward. He made blocking wide recievers popular. He goes out and earns his money. Hitting is an art and he's mastered it as well as the art of blocking. When college and high school coaches talk about an all-around wide reciever he's the guy they are talking about. He changed the way people watch film. Coaches don't want the prima donna who just runs a route when they're getting the ball they want a guy like Hines who'll run a route and give your back some downfield blocking. Running backs love guys like Hines. There's always room on my fantasy roster for Hines. It's a mans game and they don't give you $500 worth of protective equipment for nothing. Those guys out there know the hazards. It's football, AMERICAN STYLE and that's why we love it.

Yeah...He smiles to much. But, he love's the game and plays like it.

As far as overrated...I'll go with Jamarcus Russell. A guy with that much talent sure has disappointed the Raiders and their fans. Maybe it's because he plays for the Raiders but I just haven't seen the heart of Russell. Gradkowski might not have as much talent but he does have the heart that you need for football.

It's not to late to join the party Jamarcus! Those pine needles in your rear might motivate you yet!

Look I know the Steelers are the enemy but one of the few players in the league I respect is Hines Ward. He made blocking wide recievers popular. He goes out and earns his money. Hitting is an art and he's mastered it as well as the art of blocking. When college and high school coaches talk about an all-around wide reciever he's the guy they are talking about. He changed the way people watch film. Coaches don't want the prima donna who just runs a route when they're getting the ball they want a guy like Hines who'll run a route and give your back some downfield blocking. Running backs love guys like Hines. There's always room on my fantasy roster for Hines. It's a mans game and they don't give you $500 worth of protective equipment for nothing. Those guys out there know the hazards. It's football, AMERICAN STYLE and that's why we love it.

Yeah...He smiles to much. But, he love's the game and plays like it.

As far as overrated...I'll go with Jamarcus Russell. A guy with that much talent sure has disappointed the Raiders and their fans. Maybe it's because he plays for the Raiders but I just haven't seen the heart of Russell. Gradkowski might not have as much talent but he does have the heart that you need for football.

It's not to late to join the party Jamarcus! Those pine needles in your rear might motivate you yet!

Jamarcus Russel is just overweight and terrible. Not overrated.

And as far as Hines Ward goes all he does is take cheap shots at DB's when they are not looking ( and sometimes after the play is over.. Daven Holly comes to mind) and cry like a little girl for no reason.

Cue the pic of Wines Hard crying

Jamarcus Russel is just overweight and terrible. Not overrated.

And as far as Hines Ward goes all he does is take cheap shots at DB's when they are not looking ( and sometimes after the play is over.. Daven Holly comes to mind) and cry like a little girl for no reason.

Cue the pic of Wines Hard crying

Did you ever think that he creates those blocking angles with his route running? If Holly didn't have field awareness that's his problem. The art if hitting is setting up the hit. He should have been aware of where Hines was on the field. If I was out there I would be.

I wouldn't say 9 decades maybe the early years but since the late 70's early 80's the rules have tamed the game down to what it is now, which favors receivers big time.

A sh*t load of guys left the game early because of it. I remember watching an OTL's report where Mark Schlereth said they use to practice that block because it was so vicious and by doing so it would stop defenders from creeping up on the line of scrimmage. And in that same piece Mike Ditka said it was a staple back when he played and he loved it. And at the end of it both said it has no place in the NFL because of the amount of injuries sustained from it.

If you take away all of the Bull Sh*t blocks, late hits, and the holding that he seems to get away with, is he really an awesome blocking WR?

Nope.

He's overrated.

No rule ever banned that type of hit in the NFL until last year. Maybe recievers didn't use all the power the rulebook gave them, but you can't blame a guy when he does. If Hines was a promodonna recievers blocking linebackers and freesafeties would be unhreard of, but still legal. This is the first time recievers blocking linebackers was become and issue becuase it seldom happens. Whether it was 1925, 1950, 1975 or 2008 that hit was legal.

I can imagine some of Hine's hits might almost be as dangerous as a 250+ pound linebacker tackling a 200 pound receiver when they can't see it coming, but I still want to besides River who in the history of the league sustained a serious injury becuase they got blocked by a reciever.

You whine that his blocks happen late, yet they happen during the play....You whine that he holds but that wouldn't even make sense to do, you call legal blocks BS blocks. Reguardless of YOUR OPINION and Mark Schereth's opinion, by rule Hines and anyone else could do it up until last year. Doin't hate the player, hate the game (or rulebook)

If Ward hasn't been so successful and so good, you wouldn't be whining about it. (Insert first line of my sig here)

The art if hitting is setting up the hit.

i guess you haven't witnessed too many bar room brawls. if a guy throws a sucker punch on someone it's called a cheap shot. the guy has his back turned or whatever. the cheap shot artist is forever known and remembered as a punk and a pussy, at least where i'm from. some guys can't win fights without it. see: hines ward

but I still want to besides River who in the history of the league sustained a serious injury becuase they got blocked by a reciever.

Don't know nor do I really care. But don't think for a second that rivers was the first and only.

If I bothers you that much look it up.

You whine that his blocks happen late, yet they happen during the play....You whine that he holds but that wouldn't even make sense to do, you call legal blocks BS blocks. Reguardless of YOUR OPINION and Mark Schereth's opinion, by rule Hines and anyone else could do it up until last year. Doin't hate the player, hate the game (or rulebook)

If Ward hasn't been so successful and so good, you wouldn't be whining about it. (Insert first line of my sig here)

Whoa, whining hardly! I made my statement, and you have gone round in circles with half a dozen guys about how great your secret man crush is. Just because your labia's are hurt because the majority don't agree with you don't mean I'm a whiner.

First off where did I say that "You whine that his blocks happen late, yet they happen during the play", I said Cheap shots.. whether they happened during the play or not.

You seem to have a habbit of putting word's in other peoples mouths.

Second this is one of the dumbest things I've heard, "You whine that he holds but that wouldn't even make sense to do,"

Are you fu*kin serious? It really makes no sense?

FYI: I think it was a shovel

"Prosecutors charge that Brown threatened to kill his wife during an argument, and that he broke the windows of her car with a shovel.

Police arrested Brown on June 15 after his wife, Monique Brown, called 911.

Monique Brown, 25, has recanted her original accusation, but the city attorney's domestic violence unit decided to prosecute her husband nevertheless. City attorney's officials said about two-thirds of domestic violence victims seen by the unit recant their stories.

Brown, who pleaded not guilty, has alleged that police coerced his wife to state that she was abused.

Jury selection is scheduled to continue today and opening arguments could begin Wednesday."

A shovel? OK. I think then perhaps it was Jack Nicholson who got in trouble for taking a 9 iron to his car.

Don't know nor do I really care. But don't think for a second that rivers was the first and only.

If I bothers you that much look it up.

Whoa, whining hardly! I made my statement, and you have gone round in circles with half a dozen guys about how great your secret man crush is. Just because your labia's are hurt because the majority don't agree with you don't mean I'm a whiner.

First off where did I say that "You whine that his blocks happen late, yet they happen during the play", I said Cheap shots.. whether they happened during the play or not.

You seem to have a habbit of putting word's in other peoples mouths.

Second this is one of the dumbest things I've heard, "You whine that he holds but that wouldn't even make sense to do,"

Are you fu*kin serious? It really makes no sense?

I have looked it up an accroding to my findings it has never happened before. You don't know of anytime either. Is a hit that generates a serious injury about once every 90 years that dangerous?

"If you take away all of the Bull Sh*t blocks, late hits, and the holding that he seems to get away with, is he really an awesome blocking WR?"

Yes, you are saying Hines gets away with holds and I agree with you, that makes no sense.

i guess you haven't witnessed too many bar room brawls. if a guy throws a sucker punch on someone it's called a cheap shot. the guy has his back turned or whatever. the cheap shot artist is forever known and remembered as a punk and a pussy, at least where i'm from. some guys can't win fights without it. see: hines ward

Well I'm glad to see that when a brawl breaks out in your neck of the woods that those folks are class acts who go by "The Marquess of Queensbury Rules". But you know something... when a fight breaks out around my neck of the woods it just seems to be a "fight". Nobody seems to care how you win. Nobody asks after the fight, "Hey did you win all classy like?"....Naw, they just ask if you won the damn thing and move on. Much like NFL scores....If what he was doing was illegal he'd get flagged for it. It's just that simple. To me... It just seems smart.

I think your overly hate for the Steelers and their success and one of the best players in NFL history............Hines Ward

makes your view completely distorted

Ward is a football players football player...........does it all all day every game at a high level. That is a WINNER............not a cheap shot artist. Cheap shots get penalties best I can tell over the years Ward has had very few penalties which further amplifies his success

yeah and that tough mofo has laid guys out for 11 years..............oboy.........he will get his..............and he won two Super Bowls and was an MVP in one...........

disgusting overrated YEAH........

i love discussing footbal with people who have no clue about football

Your not supposed to hit people in bars. Hitting people is one of the most basic things you do on a football field.

Archived