THE BROWNS BOARD

Florida's beautiful panhandle beaches will soon be in ruin.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the all out effort to clean up this President Obama. Your effort has been extremely weak. Quit with the photo ops and BS politics and start an all out effort to get this shit under control. I really think he doesn't care.

I hate to say this but it is going to take a long time to fix this problem. Until a relief is drilled they will NOT be able to completely cap off the old one. This problem comes from bad planning. This would never happen in europe or saudi arabia because they set up 2 rigs; one as the primary and one as the relief for just this occassion. They are currently drilling a releif as we speak but it is slow process. I think the government doesn't want to tell people there is nothing that can be done in the short term to completely fix this. This situation happened because they tried to cap it in the first place with tons of concrete, but it blew anyway. They can't blow the well because they can't get explosives down far enough when its pumping out at 20000 psi, so if anyone has any ideas I'm sure they will listen.

What Obama should be criticized for is not immediately requiring all other wells to begin putting drilling releifs in and around the gulf. Of course, many of these corporations have a big say in how our country is ran to begin with, so I doubt they would force themselves to have to spend their money just because of a few birds, fish, and beaches.

So, Obamao's dept overseeing drilling was not doing inspections like they were supposed to do.

And Obamao was going to present BP with a safety award.

Obamao was the #1 recipient of campaign funds from BP.

Obamao is a lying, incompetent and corrupt loser, and BP

should never have drilled in that deep of water.

But the libs rallied against drilling in shallow water.

You know, where they could have plugged the leak

far, far, far, far more easily.

Liberals/progressives don't think and analyze, they just feel and react emotionally, most of the time,

for self-centered reasons.

So, Obamao's dept overseeing drilling was not doing inspections like they were supposed to do.

And Obamao was going to present BP with a safety award.

Obamao was the #1 recipient of campaign funds from BP.

Obamao is a lying, incompetent and corrupt loser, and BP

should never have drilled in that deep of water.

But the libs rallied against drilling in shallow water.

You know, where they could have plugged the leak

far, far, far, far more easily.

Liberals/progressives don't think and analyze, they just feel and react emotionally, most of the time,

for self-centered reasons.

Ok......I'll agree with you that Obama sucks as a president and maybe a few other things regarding his character. Not a huge fan myself.

But to be real about it Obama had nothing to do with the planning of this well nor could he have changed the outcome of the disaster. So let's assume that he stopped the perfect republican inspections and replaced them with crappy liberal inspections then how does the outcome differ? No matter what the well had to be capped. To be fair it was the conservatives in power when this was all in the works so no matter how much the liberals bitched they still technically have to take blame for that if the blame goes to government. So your argument is confusing. By this reasoning Bush is completely responsible for 9\11 which I know you would never admit to. I don't think Bush was either because its the rational way to think. You should try it! Everything wrong in your life seems to be related to liberal actions which just means you wear red colored glasses and drank too much red koolaid in your lifetime. You should wake up and see they are all wolves. Your just pointing your finger in the wrong direction this time.

Obama takes BP money and his EPA gives BP a safety waiver

Obama is in the pockets of BP

Obama's EPA decided a safety inspection wasn't necessary

So tell me how can you defend Obama on the BP oil spill?

You liberals told everyone that "W" had a machine to send hurricanes into New Orleans to kill black people. And then you say that Obama has done nothing in comparison. His own lack of reacting to what has happened is far worse than talking about how it took 3 days to get food and water into the superdome after the levies broke in New Orleans. All they wanted to do is create and extend this oil spill crises for political gain or they were just to stupid to do anything about it. Meanwhile over 1/3 of the gulf has had the fishing suspended and the states are waiting on the fed to help them with the clean up.

Just wait until this oil slick gets into the gulf stream and and moves up the east coast.

Currents Could Take Oil Up to N. Carolina‎

This is far worst than Jimmy Carters Iran hostage crises.

Me a liberal.....that's quite a stretch. I haven't witnessed but a handful of decent politicians in my lifetime on either side. Truth be told I would have loved to see Paul more than anyone else and what is he again? Oh yeah liberal thats right. (Sigh).

BP got an award for 7 years of incident free activity on a rig which is almost unheard of. I'm not trying to defend the guy because he sucks as bad as any other president I've witnessed. I'm trying to convince guys like you (I don't know why) that red vs blue is so gay and pointless.

I agree with you that an inspection should have been done for status quo, but tell me that this wouldn't have happened if an inspection had occurred so I can get a good laugh. Go on say it. I know you wouldn't dare. Or maybe I hope for your sake you don't.

People spend more time complaining about a useless polotician than the real people responsible...BP. I guess mr. Bush would be taking photo opts in his scuba gear inspiring the country to come together and fight the real people to blame for this.....the iraqis.

People with far leaning political views have their passion pointed in the wrong direction, so they will never help the rational people right the ship. Thanks guys.

Obamao didn't cause the well to break. Bush didn't cause the Hurricane.

But you'd never know that by the years we heard about Bush being directly responsible

a zillion angry times.

Bush responded faster to Katrina than Obamao did to the oil gyser disaster.

It's all nice and fair to bring Bush back up again.

But it's poetic justice to put the other side in their own hot water.

Only this time, we are in big, big trouble, because THIS "president" doesn't

like our military, our way of life, our economic system, he doesn't even like US.

so, pardon us while we give the Bush haters crap in their own style.

maybe you weren't there, but don't go gettin all fair and balanced now.

It's about 9 years too late for that. <_<

If the oil industry had half as much regulation as the nuclear power industry, this wouldn't have happened.

Don't know what particular regulation would have prevented this accident.

Things happen.

But in a few years it'll be mostly forgotten except for making political hay.

This time it's Republican hay.

WSS

>>But in a few years it'll be mostly forgotten except for making political hay. This time it's Republican hay.>>

Not so sure about that, Steve.

Despite growing dissatisfaction with the Obama administration's response (and PR campaign), many still consider the evil empire of Big Oil, Big Government and Halliburton to be the devil here.

Don't know what particular regulation would have prevented this accident. Things happen.

Steve? Regulation, how about a stop valve or a backup platform? This isn't a "thing". This will ruin tourism and fishing for 20+ years if not stopped. Hoe Hum, things happen. What a pussy statement. This is not a natural disaster and could of been prevented.

I was listening to a gentlemen on the radio last night saying there is no way to stop this. The methane and the pressure that builds up on a "plug" would explode and render the "plug" useless.

I am sure many people here have been to the Outer Banks. I don't think people realize cities (like on the Outer Banks) up and down the coast will literally CLOSE if their beaches are covered in oil. If continues to spread, this will surpass Katrina.

I'm trying to convince guys like you (I don't know why) that red vs blue is so gay and pointless.

AMEN! I've been barking up that tree for years. It's marketing like Chevy vs. Ford. It's the greatest marketing campaign ever.

I am not an Obama fan, but what I find funny here is people bitch that he is turning our country into big government, but yet want government intervention when something goes wrong. Sounds like liberal thinking to me.

Here's a quote for the books.

"In the long run, [bP] is also looking at bringing larger production vessels in, create a more permanent connection that can be disconnected easily in case we have a hurricane or bad weather later on in the hurricane season," Allen noted. "And we'll continue to optimize the production out of the well to contain it."

I'm glad we cleared that up. I was getting nervous.

Don't know what particular regulation would have prevented this accident.

Things happen.

But in a few years it'll be mostly forgotten except for making political hay.

This time it's Republican hay.

WSS

Exactly what Kosar said about it. This didn't HAVE to happen. It was preventable had they had a relief well or if Halliburton didn't do such a shit poor job of building Old Faithful. 11 deaths from an oil rig is 11 deaths too many. How many people died as a result of the Three Mile Island incident? Zero. Anyone that's building an oil rig needs to be under a magnifying glass.

Exactly what Kosar said about it. This didn't HAVE to happen. It was preventable had they had a relief well or if Halliburton didn't do such a shit poor job of building Old Faithful. 11 deaths from an oil rig is 11 deaths too many. How many people died as a result of the Three Mile Island incident? Zero. Anyone that's building an oil rig needs to be under a magnifying glass.

Or had they drilled in shallower waters instead of caving to the left.

Wonder why that relief well wasn't put in the week after Obama took office.

Unless, of course, it really was unexpected.

WSS

Okay, yes, technically you can blame this on the tree-huggers. I think it's asinine to do so, but they are the reason why there's less red tape in ocean drilling than there is when drilling on land. But really, the only reason that it's like that is because of human ignorance. Our best scientists really don't know much about the ocean's ecosystem nor how drilling affects it. That is the only reason why drilling is less restricted further from the shore.

Anyways, this needs to be a wake up call that we should start weaning ourselves from it and look to other options. Unfortunately, I know that this isn't an immediate option (though it really should be), so in that case, we need to make this shit as safe and regulated as our nuclear power industry. This shit can't happen again. I'm pissed off most at how badly this affects the natural environment of the Gulf, but shit, this will destroy millions of Americans' sources of income. This cannot happen again.

It's not tree-huggers to blame specifically,

but lib/progressive members of Congress that catered to them,

and made the oil companies drill that far out.

You know, so if there was an oil spill, it wouldn't reach land.

right.

it can't be contained because the water is nearly? a MILE DEEP,

and it STILL REACHED LAND.

What an outrage.

That's not the only reason it can't be contained. You have to take into account the force that it's pouring out with. If as powerful a leak happened in shallower water, I'd bet that they'd be just as unsuccessful. To blame the congressmen that allowed this to happen is also asinine. We need the oil. We had to get it somewhere. Obviously, the government is going to do it where there is the least red tape.

In the next 20 years or so, drilling will be completely different in certain regards. We will still need oil but not to the same degree. Natural gas is the future. We have a ton of it under our feet. In 20 years you won't be able to buy a new car that runs off gasoline. Therefore the need for crude will dramatically drop. Hell you can buy cars that run off natural gas right now. The issue is networking. Transporting and storing it is the huge problem right now. Gas stations need to be converted. Its a huge undertaking, but its already being done. I have met a couple who are in the business of converting the gas stations over to natural gas and they all say once we are capable of storing large quantites of it we will basically change overnite.

Then we won't have all this protest against oil spills and such because the whole process from drilling to consumption is much cleaner. These deep water rigs and most of the swallow ones will be shut down completely. This recent reevaluation of the potential of previously impermiable shale changes the game entirely.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...vHq5NQD9G6MJ080

I really wish this was a joke post.

Fire from W.Va. gas well blast will burn 2-3 days

By VICKI SMITH (AP) – 5 hours ago

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. — The fire from an explosion at a West Virginia natural gas well will continue to burn for two to three days.

The early Monday morning explosion injured seven workers, who were treated at a Pittsburgh hospital. Two of the workers were released later in the day and the others were walking around and talking to family members.

A spokeswoman for one of the companies involved in the well, Texas-based Chief Oil & Gas, says that a rig firefighting company will move damaged equipment out of the way while the fire burns.

A state inspector says the surrounding area is not at risk from the fire.

Later Monday, another natural gas explosion in Texas killed three people. Officials there believe the gas line was struck with a digging machine.

Here's another article.... At first I thought they were talking about the same thing, but it appears it isn't so.

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/gener...position=recent

Pennsylvania halts drilling by company after gas incident

By Associated Press

Monday, June 7, 2010 - Added 8h ago

HARRISBURG, Pa. — Pennsylvania regulators are halting all gas drilling activities by the company whose natural gas well spewed out explosive gas and polluted water for 16 hours last week.

Gov. Ed Rendell said Monday the order against EOG Resources Inc. will remain in place until the Department of Environmental Protection can finish its probe and until after the company implements whatever changes may be needed.

The order stops EOG from drilling and fracking operations.

A blow-out of an EOG well in north-central Pennsylvania’s Clearfield County on Thursday sent gas and at least 35,000 gallons of drilling wastewater into the environment.

The state agency says the company is being cooperative with the investigation and is supportive of the order.

That's natural gas for you. I hope that we regulate it more stringently, way more, if this is the route we take. I find it really hard to believe that this crap all happened today.

It's not tree-huggers to blame specifically,

but lib/progressive members of Congress that catered to them,

and made the oil companies drill that far out.

You know, so if there was an oil spill, it wouldn't reach land.

right.

it can't be contained because the water is nearly? a MILE DEEP,

and it STILL REACHED LAND.

What an outrage.

lol.. no, the only one to blame is.....

BP

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/opinio...0,2142882.story

The Gulf is victim of cheaper, faster

The Gulf's paying for Big Oil's emphasis on profits, expediency.

Imagine what might have been if BP executives had chosen caution and insisted on a more elaborate drilling process at the Deepwater Horizon rig. The crude oil now washing up on the beaches and marshes of the Gulf Region might just be a doomsday scenario in an environmentalist's head, rather than a disaster of epic proportions.

An examination of documents obtained by Orlando Sentinel reporter Kevin Spear suggests the blowout in the Gulf of Mexico might have been prevented if BP had spent more time and money to ensure that its drilling operations were as foolproof as possible. Instead, BP officials opted to complete the final phase of its well with a single section of pipe called a "casing" and a single injection of cement.

The documents and oilfield engineers who examined them raise the possibility that the disaster could have been prevented if BP had instead completed the well with a type of pipe called "liner" and a section of casing, and with both locked in place with cement. That approach, the most common in the Gulf's deepwater drilling areas, might have better kept the pressurized petroleum under control. But deploying the additional liner would have delayed completing the Deepwater Horizon well, and cost BP more money — up to $1 million a day by most estimates.

Sorry Cal... BP is to blame here... no one else. Amazing how people advocate personal responsibility but forgo corporate responsibility.

I'm not saying its perfect but none the less the damage from an accident is far from that of an oil spill.

Btw is eveyone aware that EOG is a nice way of saying ENRON OIL AND GAS! The same company that held California hostage, manipulated the market, and blatantly lied about everything to everyone. I cringe when I hear that name. The fact that they are still around says a lot about this country's polotics.

Okay, yes, technically you can blame this on the tree-huggers. I think it's asinine to do so, but they are the reason why there's less red tape in ocean drilling than there is when drilling on land. But really, the only reason that it's like that is because of human ignorance. Our best scientists really don't know much about the ocean's ecosystem nor how drilling affects it. That is the only reason why drilling is less restricted further from the shore.

Anyways, this needs to be a wake up call that we should start weaning ourselves from it and look to other options. Unfortunately, I know that this isn't an immediate option (though it really should be), so in that case, we need to make this shit as safe and regulated as our nuclear power industry. This shit can't happen again. I'm pissed off most at how badly this affects the natural environment of the Gulf, but shit, this will destroy millions of Americans' sources of income. This cannot happen again.

What I'm saying is what precautions need to be taken realistically.

Let's agree this Chu guy is the bomb as we keep hearing.

Seems like if this accident was a real concern, someone should or could have said hey look.

We really need a couple more relief wells here.

They just didn't.

And they WERE warned that deep water is a lot more risky than closer to shore.

With Katrina could the Army Corps of Engineers have rebuilt the levees in the ttwenty five years leading up to it?

Sure.

But was that a realistic concern?

You tell me.

In hindsight sure it was.

But this really is a new situation.

We'll learn from it but I doubt there is reasonable expectation to think it was forewarned.

And Obama has done all he knows how to do.

He sent a shitload of PI lawyers.

I want BP to prosper.

I DON"T want the shareholders screwed.

I DO want them to remain solvent and pay for the damage.

(not raked over the coals for a bunch of opportunists which will be there)

WSS

But this really is a new situation.

We'll learn from it but I doubt there is reasonable expectation to think it was forewarned.

I don't think it was forewarned, but it could have been prevented.

And Obama has done all he knows how to do.

He sent a shitload of PI lawyers.

Obama has done all he can. There is no government agency that specializes in this. He's basically working through BP. BP is in charge of the cleanup.

I want BP to prosper.

I DON"T want the shareholders screwed.

I DO want them to remain solvent and pay for the damage.

That company can go belly up for all I care. Screw the shareholders. Start putting money in things that are better for the environment.

Obama has done all he can.

Yes. Nothing. As usual.

There is no government agency that specializes in this. He's basically working through BP. BP is in charge of the cleanup.

I thought Obammy has been honking away about how he's in charge??

That company can go belly up for all I care. Screw the shareholders. Start putting money in things that are better for the environment.

Make sure to diversify.

Don't put all your money in fairy dust.

;)

WSS

To say the administration has done nothing is to be completely detached from reality, and swimming in partisanship. You should be better than that.

If you don't know what steps the administration has taken, you need to read more, or less of what you are reading.

As for stopping the spill, of course Vapor is right - there is no federal agency that performs these tasks, or has the ability to perform these tasks. What Steven Chu did was inform BP about a gamma ray technology that would allow them to see inside the pipe and determine the extent of the damage. And that's how they ended up being able to determine the extent of the damage. That doesn't make him "the bomb"; it's just to point out that it's nice having qualified people around when things go wrong, rather than Mike Brown and a Republican lawyer.

And we know that on day one the president asked the SoD and the Joints Chiefs if the military had the ability/technology to assist, and they told him that they didn't.

To call this Obama's spill, as someone else did here, is to blame Hurricane Katrina on President Bush. Which is amusing, because the same people who complained about Bush being blamed for the hurricane (he wasn't; he was blamed for the response, as he should have been) are now blaming Obama for the spill, and calling it "Obama's spill."

It's all sorts of wrong, and dishonest, and lots of other things.

If you want to blame Obama for the federal government's response to the spill, go ahead. Make your claim. What would you have liked him to do better?

And if it's all about that his attitude isn't "hair on fire" enough, or you want him to go to Louisiana and hug some people on camera, grow the xxxx up.

Archived