THE BROWNS BOARD

Head-to-Head Hits & New Rule Discussion

ATENEARS

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Harrison thinks he is such a marque name that the NFL will back down he is sadly mistaken. He might get a job in charge of returns at Walmart. Who would want to return anything to that store with harrison standing there in his helmet.

Actually there is a real nice sized ACME Fresh Market just a couple of blocks away from his HS. He could go there and be a night stocker.

I worked for the same chain doing that when I was in college. Different store.

Actually, how about if I agree with you somewhat: I think that giving Harrison a fine etc. should not be the answer. I think he should simply get what he gives. A couple of blind side head on concussion makers would serve him best.

An eye for an eye. What I was pissed about was the fact that none of the Browns players went after this dude after it happened! If you're any kind of team player you stick up for your teammates!

I believe a few said that Harrison's "retirement" comments were simply "tongue-in-cheek" and us "Retards" just don't know how he interviews and cant understand how facetious he is being.

Well, if that's STILL the case... then he is officially becoming a distraction to your winning team and looks like a flailing arm tube-man to the league as he makes a spectacle out of himself. I'm sure your "best linebacker in the league" and catalyst for your elite defense missing practices and letting his agent give threats of retirement to the press is a great stride in gelling the team for a Super Bowl run.

This looks like a toddler holding his breath after mommy took away his favorite toy because he was hitting the other kids with it.

Did they nearly kill you? Are you half deaf as a result of any of them? Did you lose your memory for nine months from any of them? Just because you had (what might have been a light concussion)) doesn't mean that they are all that way.

For each concussion you have, the chance of you have serious brain trouble increases for the next concussion, no matter how serious the concussion is. I have had 3 and I have a bad migraine at least once a month no because of those concussions. To think that someone can take 5-10 concussions and turn out fine is absurd.

Let's look at this stat- counting preseason- almost 50 players have been knocked out of a game, or more than one game DUE TO HEAD INJURIES. This isn't just Cleveland fans whining about Big Bad Harrison. This is a league-wide problem of guys using their helmets as a weapon, not for protecting their own noggin. And the NFL has decided enough is enough before someone gets crippled or killed.

Funny how Cleveland players have shown support for Harrison for both of his hits.

It is pretty obvious that you never played football. We were taught to aim for the belly-button because the trunk doesn't move and it zero's in on man. When you are trying to dislodge the ball, you put your shoulder or helmet on the ball. Harrison did none of this, he weided his arms upward at the head. He sucks at tackling.

Harrison is one of the best form tacklers in the league. His fundamentals are what got him from good special teams player to DPOY. Form tackling isn't always possible and it visn't always the best way to knock the ball out.

Hillis and Scott F. both support both of Harrison's hits. Everyone here continues to avoid this fact.

Funny how Cleveland players have shown support for Harrison for both of his hits.

yeah, well they are wrong. just like you. just because they play for the browns doesn't mean everything they say is right or smart. we'll leave that to you guys and your players who you defend through thick and thin.

didn't know they left the gates of the zoo open. anybody that defends harrison and those two 'questionable' (which they weren't cuz the video proves that) hits is a Retard.

Pretty funny before the NFL became the National Pussy League....NPL.....neither of those hits would have even been considered a penalty.....just the way it is......

please do not let homerism confuse what happened on these plays in neither case was Harrison going head hunting.....but rather trying to make a play

This whole bS may result in destroying the NFL....because if defense cannot play and offense is unabated....concepts like the DAWG POUND are obsolete

which may be a good thing for the Browns since we have no offense

http://search.espn.go.com/mark-schlereth/videos/6

Anyone who has a similiar veiwpoint as Hillis or Scott F. would love the top video on this link.

For those of you who honestly disagree (and not just whining because you hate Harrison and could care less you are being unfair or hypocritical about this topic) with those two don't watch it because it has a former NFL player strongly opposing Goodell's suspension threats and fines.

I love big hits ... but it is very easy for me to believe that 80% of the knock-out hits could be easily avoided. Of the seven or so reviewed hits this past weekend, all but maybe one of them could have easily been avoided and just as effective to the outcome of the play had a proper tackle been applied.

Upset Harrison leaves Steelers practice

FOX Sports

This time, James Harrison sacked himself.

The unhappy Steelers linebacker was excused from Wednesday's practice after meeting with coach Mike Tomlin about the $75,000 fine Harrison incurred for a helmet hit on a Browns receiver. Tomlin felt Harrison needed time to cool off.

Harrison was so upset with the fine - and the NFL's stricter enforcement of dangerous hits - that he said he was weighing retirement, although Tomlin expects him to practice on Thursday.

''I thought it was beneficial for him and for us if I gave him a little time to cool off and give him the day off,'' Tomlin said. ''I excused him at that time and we went on and had a productive day. I'm sure he will be back in the building tomorrow.''

Harrison said in multiple radio interviews that he isn't certain that he can keep playing the way he has been taught, now that the league not only is fining players but is threatening to suspend them for flagrant hits. He was fined $5,000 earlier this season for a hit on Titans quarterback Vince Young. Neither of the Harrison hits that drew fines were penalized.

''How can I continue to play this game the way that I've been taught to play this game since I was 10 years old?'' Harrison said on Sirius/XM radio. ''And now you're telling me that everything that they've taught me from that time on, for the last 20-plus years, is not the way you're supposed to play the game any more? If that's the case I can't play by those rules. You're handicapping me.''

The three-time Pro Bowl outside linebacker also said he might retire, although the Steelers don't seem to be taking that threat seriously. If he quit, Harrison would owe the Steelers a share of the $20 million in upfront money he collected when he signed a $51.2 million, six-year contract in April 2009.

Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley also expects Harrison back, saying, ''He loves the game too much, man. He loves it too much.''

Harrison was the 2008 AP NFL Defensive Player of the Year and has a reputation of being one of the league's hardest hitters. His helmet hits about seven minutes apart in the second quarter caused Browns receivers Joshua Cribbs and Mohamed Massaquoi to leave Sunday's game with concussions.

Harrison was fined, but not suspended, for the hit on Massaquoi because the receiver could not protect himself as he attempted to complete a catch. Harrison appeared to launch himself toward Massaquoi and struck the receiver with his helmet.

Tomlin repeated Wednesday that he is convinced Harrison's hit was permissible.

''This is a very emotional thing for James,'' Tomlin said. ''He's a very disciplined and regimented guy who's passionate about the game of football. It bothers him maybe that he's being perceived as a dirty player. He doesn't desire to be. He simply wants to play the game and play it extremely well.''

After the game, Harrison said he tries to hurt opposing players because it helps the Steelers win, although he doesn't try to injure players. Tomlin wouldn't speculate if those comments may have led the NFL to increase its fine. Harrison has since backed off those comments, saying he doesn't try to injure anyone.

The absent Harrison received considerable support from his teammates, with guard Chris Kemoeatu saying that the linebacker's relentless attitude motivates the offensive players, too.

''He is a really big influence to us,'' Kemoeatu said. ''We look up to him and we see his style of play and we want to be like him and hit like him and run like him. I don't know how he's affected by it, but I know he's disappointed. I think he's going to work things out and I think he will be all right.

Told that Harrison was contemplating retirement, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady joked that he hoped it was true.

''I'd love to for him to retire,'' said Brady, who plays in Pittsburgh on Nov. 14. ''If he retired, it would make me very happy.''

If I did my math correct, of Harrison's $51.2 Million Contract, this $75,000 fine is the equivilent to a guy making $55,000/yr getting fined $80 .... which is less than a speeding ticket.

BoHoo ... I can't work today Boss, I'm too upset over the speeding ticket I received making a sales call.

And you wonder why the stereotype of Browns fans being whiny, bitter idiots who say stupid things for the sake of being assinine sticks. Unless of course you were talking about Ryan Tucker, a player who actually takes roids.

All he's trying to do is make himself out to be the victim and its a complete joke in anybody's eyes that isn't a steelers fan

For precautions, I hope Mr. Harrison receives the care he needs and let's pray that the Steelers take consideration of Mr. Harrisons postpartum depression on the day after such a vicious $80 fine. I heard that some women require up to three months off after such an ordeal. Let's all hope that Jimmy can weather these most difficult times.

In ther news, I wonder what he had at IHOP after skipping practice.

Remember the time Harrison roided out during the super bowl and power slammed that Cardinals DB Francisco onto the group after the play... Yeah, you tell me that wasn't roid fueled rage. OOOOOOOkkk ;)

Yes and He Magically Passes ALL His Drug tests ... You Sir ...are an Ass. But then again we already knew that.

Yes and He Magically Passes ALL His Drug tests ... You Sir ...are an Ass. But then again we already knew that.

He magically has collected $80,000 in fines this season, yet never drew a single penalty flag for any of the infractions.

ne oor

All he's trying to do is make himself out to be the victim and its a complete joke in anybody's eyes that isn't a steelers fan

Really .... So Mike Golic ... Darren Woodson....Trent Dilfer ....Tommy Waddel ... Mark Schlereth are ALL Steeler fans ?? Because they Have ALL Publicly said Harrison's hits were clean. Also Several Prominent ESPN Radio and TV personalities. In Fact , beside Jaworski and maybe one or two other Public NFL Figures I haven't heard ANYONE Said this BS is right. Dumb-asses like you , live in a Bubble or Bitter hatred and Pity. It HAS to suck...

He magically has collected $80,000 in fines this season, yet never drew a single penalty flag for any of the infractions.

Hmmm... Perhaps because in the REAL World of NFL Football ON The Turf ... they are Playing and Officiation FOOTBALL. Not all this Posing the NFL Headquarters is involved in. You wont be so joyous next time TJ Ward draws criticism... and He will because he is a Beastly Player and players like that ALWAYS destroy. He is a Player....

yeah, well they are wrong. just like you. just because they play for the browns doesn't mean everything they say is right or smart. we'll leave that to you guys and your players who you defend through thick and thin.

Yeah you are right it is only the Steelers that is calling this BS. :rolleyes:

Steelers only team complaining about new disciplinary action.

If I did my math correct, of Harrison's $51.2 Million Contract, this $75,000 fine is the equivilent to a guy making $55,000/yr getting fined $80 .... which is less than a speeding ticket.

BoHoo ... I can't work today Boss, I'm too upset over the speeding ticket I received making a sales call.

You're a moron. It's the principle of the matter not the money. It's changing the game. Go watch Mark Slereth's rant via ESPN. He throws the league under a bus, runs it over and backs over it again and it's deserved. The ruling is ridiculous and I haven't heard one player endorse the new ruling. If they want to protect players they shouldn't consider extending the NFL season two games.

Yeah you are right it is only the Steelers that is calling this BS. :rolleyes:

Steelers only team complaining about new disciplinary action.

dude are you even smart enough to understand? i said i agree with what the nfl is doing to prevent helmet to helmet hits. if you don't fine. if most of the players don't fine. what would you tell little timmy when his hero hines ward is folded up like a cheat suit on the ground looking like a dried up raisin getting carted off the field, only to find out he'll never walk again. little timmy sees him on the sidelines in a wheelchair being operated by a tube in his mouth. "Oh timmy, it's football. it's just the way it is. there is no way to make it safer by banning helmet to helmet hits. but let's go get hines's autograph. oh wait.......... HE CAN'T MOVE!!!!!!" man i'm up on current events. i know most players don't agree with it. so what? most of them can't even speak the english language. do we want them making decisions for us?

Archived