THE BROWNS BOARD

Head-to-Head Hits & New Rule Discussion

ATENEARS

it's about leaving your feet and launching yourself as a projectile. half of these guys don't even know how to tackle, they just know how to hit. you see it in college all the time now. instead of trying the tackle the guy they throw themselves at the player trying to dislodge the ball or blow someone up. my friends and i comment on it all the time because half the time it's unsuccessful and the guy bounces off the guy with the ball and he runs for a touchdown. "why didn't he wrap the guy up and tackle him!" we scream. half of it is coaching and half of it is the defensive guy wanting to make the highlights by knocking someone out and being billy badass for a day. i heard someone mention that the league will start fining the organizations along with the individual offenders. good. and they should pass it along to the D coordinator and he should pass it on to the position coaches if they continue to coach this.

don't give me the old "THIS IS WHAT WE'VE BEEN TAUGHT ALL OUR LIVES" bullshit either. these hits were few and far in between while i was growing up. most players knew how to TACKLE and did so. sure there were some goons. how do think tatum felt paralizing stingley for the rest of his life? i gues with harrison's mentality he would laugh.

if you are not smart enough to relearn it the right way then get the F out the league.

That should be and is completely illegal. No one is questioning why those hits are banned. It the fact that Goodell is fining and wants to suspend players for hits that will simply always be a part of tackle football that people are made about.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets play ball guys and make the hits instead of receiving the hits................

It is about winning not whining

otherwise, I got it figured let's rename the Dawg Pound the Pussy Pound

until we stop threads like this with oodles of whining ...............

we will remain the leagues doormat

so how much is Massaquoi going to be fined? Here is why I am saying this. Check out these stills.

pic1.jpg

Notice Harrison has his legs bent

pic2.jpg

Now notice Harrison still has his legs bent. and Massaquoi is lowering his head, as evidenced by the obvious bend in his back from the still. Now here is the kicker, James Harrison is only 6'0" and Massaquoi is 6'1". This is a case of a linebacker lining up to make a hit at chest level, but the receiver, or ball carrier lowering his head to make contact.

so how much is Massaquoi going to be fined? Here is why I am saying this. Check out these stills.

pic1.jpg

Notice Harrison has his legs bent

pic2.jpg

Now notice Harrison still has his legs bent. and Massaquoi is lowering his head, as evidenced by the obvious bend in his back from the still. Now here is the kicker, James Harrison is only 6'0" and Massaquoi is 6'1". This is a case of a linebacker lining up to make a hit at chest level, but the receiver, or ball carrier lowering his head to make contact.

That's the point. There was no place hit Massaquoi without being called dirty... Would you rather Harrison dive at his knees? Look how low Massaquoi was, at full speed mind you, when they collided. Had Massaquoi been standing straight up, that would have been a forearm-to-shoulder hit. Harrison didn't drive up through Massaquoi's chin strap like Brandon Merriweather did to Heap this weekend. Scott Fujita seems to agree the hits were legal.

Browns' Fujita calls league stance on hits hypocritical

Fujita - basically saying the league is being hypocritical for selling the big hit as part of the game, and now trying to suspend players for that big hit.

"The same league that's talking about fining players for these hits and talking about maybe now suspending players for these hits who pretends to care so much about our health and safety, let's be honest," Fujita said. "They don't give a crap. Let's be perfectly honest about that.

"Eighteen games is asking a lot. And 18 games now without even a discussion about changing the vesting requirements for post-career medical. It's pretty astonishing. Another thing, too. This league is talking so much about these big hits and how they're trying to prevent that and protect the players. Well these are the same big hits they're showing around the clock on every [channel], NFL Network and everything else and trying to get everyone hyped up about the game of football......

Well why are you advertising all of this stuff if it's against the rules? Same thing with some of these celebration penalties and everything else. They're fining guys like crazy for it and calling penalties, but that's the stuff they use to promote their games. So to me, it's kind of a weird deal. They need to get on the same page and figure out exactly what they need to do."

Fujita didn't feel the criticisms of Harrison's shots were justified. Fujita said even though people in Cleveland and around the NFL are in an uproar with Harrison's hits on the Browns' Mohamed Massaquoi and Josh Cribbs, Fujita said he felt like they were "pretty good defensive plays."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1415597...ts-hypocritical

That's the point. There was no place hit Massaquoi without being called dirty... Would you rather Harrison dive at his knees? Look how low Massaquoi was, at full speed mind you, when they collided. Had Massaquoi been standing straight up, that would have been a forearm-to-shoulder hit. Harrison didn't drive up through Massaquoi's chin strap like Brandon Merriweather did to Heap this weekend. Scott Fujita seems to agree the hits were legal.

Browns' Fujita calls league stance on hits hypocritical

Fujita - basically saying the league is being hypocritical for selling the big hit as part of the game, and now trying to suspend players for that big hit.

"The same league that's talking about fining players for these hits and talking about maybe now suspending players for these hits who pretends to care so much about our health and safety, let's be honest," Fujita said. "They don't give a crap. Let's be perfectly honest about that.

"Eighteen games is asking a lot. And 18 games now without even a discussion about changing the vesting requirements for post-career medical. It's pretty astonishing. Another thing, too. This league is talking so much about these big hits and how they're trying to prevent that and protect the players. Well these are the same big hits they're showing around the clock on every [channel], NFL Network and everything else and trying to get everyone hyped up about the game of football......

Well why are you advertising all of this stuff if it's against the rules? Same thing with some of these celebration penalties and everything else. They're fining guys like crazy for it and calling penalties, but that's the stuff they use to promote their games. So to me, it's kind of a weird deal. They need to get on the same page and figure out exactly what they need to do."

Fujita didn't feel the criticisms of Harrison's shots were justified. Fujita said even though people in Cleveland and around the NFL are in an uproar with Harrison's hits on the Browns' Mohamed Massaquoi and Josh Cribbs, Fujita said he felt like they were "pretty good defensive plays."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1415597...ts-hypocritical

Once again,....Steeler fans swingin' dead cats at nothin'...

Can't even keep the rules straight. Last time I checked, Scott Fujita wasn't the authority on the rules.

Can't even keep the rules straight. Last time I checked, Scott Fujita wasn't the authority on the rules.

Fujita was a team captian on the Saints and a Super Bowl champ as a starter. His opinion of Goodell's action carry a lot more wieght and are a lot more informed than any fan typing on the internet.

Fujita, Hillis and Docket of the Cardinals aren't Steeler fans and they have all came to the defense of Harrison's hits and opposed Goodell's suspension threats.

To some of you it's not about what's right and wrong. You will support anything that is harmful to the Steelers no matter how much BS it is. You will defend anything your team or players do no matter how wrong it was.

It's obvious the players are more concerned for the overall well being of the league, not just blind hatred or support for anything that would benefit them personally. I think it's great the players are sticking up for eachother becuase they feel it is what is right. They don't just ignore it because it hasn't yet effected them or because they might not necessarily like the person they are defending..

Goodell is forcing an 18 game season on the league and most players boldly oppose the change. Goodell is softening the league to justify putting the players through two more games.

It's just hard for me to me sympathetic toward Goodell's changes when players oppose it. Hillis is an offensive player opposing punishment for defenders making big hits. I think the fact that he is an offensive player holding the view point he does and defending Harrison's hits carries much more meaning than the fact that he is a Brown defending Harrison's hit.

this isn't just about the hits at the time its about long term effects.

I've said it before these hits are to prevent mental problems down the line. head-shots need to stop.

to everyone saying of that's just football. your are wrong. football is about TACKLING someone, not blowing someone up. the NFL is the worst for having no fundamentals when it comes to TACKLING. and it just trickles down

if that happens than what are you gonna say oh hes just soft or that guy was a pansy. understand its not about today its about the future.

I've said it before these hits are to prevent mental problems down the line. head-shots need to stop.

to everyone saying of that's just football. your are wrong. football is about TACKLING someone, not blowing someone up. the NFL is the worst for having no fundamentals when it comes to TACKLING. and it just trickles down

if that happens than what are you gonna say oh hes just soft or that guy was a pansy. understand its not about today its about the future.

Well said Drizzy

The league has a lot of rules in place to keep players safe. I am in full support of those and the players are too. As a fan I understand it's easy to say Goodell is going overboard with safety and taking away excitement. I understand that. But when you have offensive and defensive players from all of the league saying Harrison's hit were okay and Goodell is going overboard with suspensions I tend to side with them. I feel confident the players know what's best for them so therefore I will usually be sympathetic to how they as a whole feel.

He'll appeal it, pay some lesser amount and life goes on.

Good thing he didn't get suspended though, but how weak is the NFL? Fining players for legal hits, banning players for non-offenses.

And yinz have the balls to suggest the Steelers are paying off refs. We've gotten royally screwed by the NFL this year.

... and yet, we're at the top of the pecking order.

I bet that pisses yinz off something fierce.

Regards

... an'at

He'll appeal it, pay some lesser amount and life goes on.

Good thing he didn't get suspended though, but how weak is the NFL? Fining players for legal hits, banning players for non-offenses.

And yinz have the balls to suggest the Steelers are paying off refs. We've gotten royally screwed by the NFL this year.

... and yet, we're at the top of the pecking order.

I bet that pisses yinz off something fierce.

Regards

... an'at

Is your name Steelers SC hick or Steelers chick? Because if it's SC hick, then cool. That's where I live, and xxxx all you SC Steeler fans because I can't find a decent place to watch a Browns game.

This place is like Pittsburgh of the South.

Here is a proposal to the NFL.

1. Running backs or receivers who lower their head to attempt to run through a tackler will be fined $50,000. The coaches who teach this will be fined $100,000.

2. Linebackers, or other defensive players who attempt to dislodge the football, or make a receiver afraid of coming into their territory by hitting them, will be fined $150,00

3. Any defensive player who weighs more than an offensive player cannot hit him. There will be weight checks before the game and a list will be given to the defensive players naming the players they are allowed to hit.

4. A receiver going across the middle, must be allowed to catch the ball and then run 10 yards, before a defensive player attempts to make contact.

5. Uniforms will be replaced with dresses, the refs will decide who is the sexiest and the team they play for will be spotted 14 points.

i don't see anyone, anywhere defending Brandon Merriweather's hit... Harrison is getting all of this attention because he is a big name, plain and simple. The fact is Merriweather launched himself up and through the chin of Heap. Harrison lowered his shoulder and forearm and drove through Massaquoi in an attempt to dislodge the ball, which he did. Massaquoi lowered his upper body at the last second and Harrison ended up making contact with his head. Harrison was already bending his knees and lining up the shot by the time Massaquoi lowered his head. it's unfortunate for Massaquoi, but it happened. If McCoy makes a better throw and Massaquoi doesn't bobble that ball, he's running with the ball straight up and Harrison makes contact with his chest area on the hit. It would have still been a big hit because the receiver was led right into it by the QB, but there wouldn't have been head contact.

The hit on Cribbs was equally dirty. You don't point the top of your helmet and charge at teh side of a guy's hear who is already in teh grasp and on his way to the ground.

It doesn't matter what you Steeler faggots say, the bottom line is Hattison got fines AND CALLED OUT, don't forget that little tidbit........ CALLED OUT FOR BEING A REPEAT OFFENDER.

Harrison isn't a good player, IF you take away his dirty hits, he makes maybe 2 tackles per game.

THe guy smokes poles like Kordell Stewart does.

I would GLADLY fight Harrison 5-2 minute rounds, 8 ounce gloves, no head gear at the Browns stadium after the season. I need a little time, not much, to train.

If somebody knows this faggot bitch, call his agent and tell him Tommy Volinchak, AKA Ghoolie, at 56 years old will beat his big, clumsy, steroid induced ass into the Cleveland pavement. I knocked Mike Boswell on his ass and took hits from Ted Gullick. I'll smash this pussy worse than Too Tall Jones got it when he tried to box.

He ain't saying crap now, is he?

Internet tough guy? Or Troll? Maybe both?

The hit on Cribbs was equally dirty. You don't point the top of your helmet and charge at teh side of a guy's hear who is already in teh grasp and on his way to the ground.

It doesn't matter what you Steeler faggots say, the bottom line is Hattison got fines AND CALLED OUT, don't forget that little tidbit........ CALLED OUT FOR BEING A REPEAT OFFENDER.

Harrison isn't a good player, IF you take away his dirty hits, he makes maybe 2 tackles per game.

I would GLADLY fight Harrison 5-2 minute rounds, 8 ounce gloves, no head gear at the Browns stadium after the season. I need a little time, not much, to train.

If somebody knows this faggot bitch, call his agent and tell him Tommy Volinchak, AKA Ghoolie, at 56 years old will beat his big, clumsy, steroid induced ass into the Cleveland pavement. I knocked Mike Boswell on his ass and took hits from Ted Gullick. I'll smash this pussy worse than Too Tall Jones got it when he tried to box.

You're talking behind a keyboard. I am sure he would really give a shit even if he happened to somehow read your garbage.

Thank you for teh reply, but you failed to understand teh point.

Football is a dangerous sport. So is driving teh car or taking a walk in teh park.

Football players know that teh game is violent and dangerous and they know teh risks taken.

That is teh real issue.

Regards...

... an'at

Teh real issue is the fact that the NFL is talking out of both sides of their mouths. Just like Fujita said, they want to fine players for big hits, yet they show the same big hits on every channel in every top play countdown.

Big hits are part of the game, and let's face it....we all love them. Helmet to helmet hits are pretty black and white. There's always going to be a fine on them, and there always should be. But this new rule is basically including intent, and that's not as cut and dry to determine.

Did Harrison look like he intended to take off both Cribbs and MoMass' heads? Yeah. And that's the reason the NFL is fining him.

Did Harrison actually intend to knock these guys (near) unconscious? Yes and no. Hell, he's a defender. That's what they're out there to do. They're taught to put the fear of God in whoever they're playing. But I don't think he was intending to cause them any lasting physical damage.

Intent is hard to determine. This is a contact game, and these hits are commonplace. They're exciting, and they make for good entertainment. Defensive coaches encourage big hits, and any coach loves when his runningback takes it to a would-be tackler. These big hits make the NFL, so it's kind of bullshit for the NFL to take them away.

Yes, Harrison launched himself. Yes, Harrison led with his head. No, Harrison did not arch his neck back and bring his arms on the hit. He basically torpedoed each guy and, to the NFL, that adds up to intent. And for Harrison, intent costs him about $75,000 out of his pocket. I don't necessarily agree with it, but that's how the cookie crumbles.

What the NFL really needs to do is provide better healthcare for the players once they retire. That's the reason they're putting skirts on the players now, so they don't have to pay later.

Fujita was a team captian on the Saints and a Super Bowl champ as a starter. His opinion of Goodell's action carry a lot more wieght and are a lot more informed than any fan typing on the internet.

Fujita, Hillis and Docket of the Cardinals aren't Steeler fans and they have all came to the defense of Harrison's hits and opposed Goodell's suspension threats.

To some of you it's not about what's right and wrong. You will support anything that is harmful to the Steelers no matter how much BS it is. You will defend anything your team or players do no matter how wrong it was.

I take great exception to that. It is about "right and wrong".

My HS football career (whatever little of it there was) ended with a vicious spear to my face. I won't bore you with the details of post-concussion syndrome. Come hang around an ICU with me for a day and I'll show you head trauma and the consequences and see if you're all so high and mighty then.

While you like to think that the football world is persecuting James Harrison because he's a Steeler or you because you're a Steelers fan, I will point out to you that you'll get far more sympathy on a STEELERS BOARD. Your problem isn't that you're a Steelers fan. It's that you're a Steeler fan looking for sympathy on an opposing team's board. Fujita, Hillis and Docket are no more authorities on reading a written rule than you (assuming you can get past the big words) or I and guess what? The league came down today and sided with me.

My HS football career (whatever little of it there was) ended with a vicious spear to my face. I won't bore you with the details of post-concussion syndrome. Come hang around an ICU with me for a day and I'll show you head trauma and the consequences and see if you're all so high and mighty then.

While you like to think that the football world is persecuting James Harrison because he's a Steeler or you because you're a Steelers fan, I will point out to you that you'll get far more sympathy on a STEELERS BOARD. Your problem isn't that you're a Steelers fan. It's that you're a Steeler fan looking for sympathy on an opposing team's board. Fujita, Hillis and Docket are no more authorities on reading a written rule than you (assuming you can get past the big words) or I and guess what? The league came down today and sided with me.

Spearing should be and is illegal. It been that way since the 70's. I'm sorry to hear of your injury.

I don't need a Steeler fans opinion, I have the support of players opinions around the league. These players are career athletes. They are also college educated, full grown men. I believe they can better make decisons reguarding their health and safety better than Goodell can. Players know their bodies and have a lot of authority when it comes to others making decisons reguarding them.

We are not looking for sympathy, we're defending our player. Cleveland fans are the ones crying and looking for sympathy because their players got hit too hard. I've never seen so much whining from Cleveland fans in all my life.

The refs, the NFL rulebook, Goodell and your own damn players say the hit was clean. You are dumb. You are a tool. You are a dumb tool.

All of those opposed to the fine of 75k, I have a question for you.

Can Harrison make an open field tackle?

I dont think he knows how to tackle and his playing days are going to be numbered unless he changes his technique.

We just might start seeing a better game acrossed the board with this firm stand on cheapshots from the league.

This is supposed to be a sport of professional athletes, and some of these goones have made bank on just being strong and not for being good football players.

So you can continue bitchin and whining, but in the end we will see better played defenses acrossed the board.

We are not looking for sympathy, we're defending our player. Cleveland fans are the ones crying and looking for sympathy because their players got hit too hard. I've never seen so much whining from Cleveland fans in all my life.

No, our players could have been hit harder and we would have not mentioned a thing if it had been legal....which...as we've learned today definitively...it was NOT. Steeler fans just need to get used to the idea that James Harrison made an illegal hit and conducts himself in a way that will likely result in more illegal hits. I won't sit here and tell you that there aren't grey areas or that Meriweather's hit wasn't more egregious but that isn't the point.

Defending your player? Why? Because he wears a Steelers uniform? What if he comes out and says "Yeah, I want to decapitate everyone on the field!"? I won't defend a Browns' player for blatantly breaking a rule that potentially results in a serious injury...and if he mouths off about it? You can bet your ass I won't be defending him.

Defend yourself and your family. Don't defend James Harrison or Ben or Hines. You don't speak for them and they don't speak for you.

Spearing should be and is illegal. It been that way since the 70's. I'm sorry to hear of your injury.

I don't need a Steeler fans opinion, I have the support of players opinions around the league. These players are career athletes. They are also college educated, full grown men. I believe they can better make decisons reguarding their health and safety better than Goodell can. Players know their bodies and have a lot of authority when it comes to others making decisons reguarding them.

No. Dr. Cantu is the one advising commissioner Goodell (at least he was last fall) as well as some other experts that are colleagues of mine. Trust me, the commissioner has the best college educated minds in the business telling him what's best for the players. James Harrison himself showed us his knowledge on closed head injuries with his postgame quotes. Who are you going to trust? Dr. Robert Cantu who is a professor of neurosurgery at the Brigham or James "He was 'asleep' so it's all good" Harrison?

Edit: The NFL has appointed two new doctors to head it's official panel on concussions. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/17/sports/17concussions.html

No, our players could have been hit harder and we would have not mentioned a thing if it had been legal....which...as we've learned today definitively...it was NOT. Steeler fans just need to get used to the idea that James Harrison made an illegal hit and conducts himself in a way that will likely result in more illegal hits. I won't sit here and tell you that there aren't grey areas or that Meriweather's hit wasn't more egregious but that isn't the point.

Defending your player? Why? Because he wears a Steelers uniform? What if he comes out and says "Yeah, I want to decapitate everyone on the field!"? I won't defend a Browns' player for blatantly breaking a rule that potentially results in a serious injury...and if he mouths off about it? You can bet your ass I won't be defending him.

Defend yourself and your family. Don't defend James Harrison or Ben or Hines. You don't speak for them and they don't speak for you.

What exactly did you want Harrison to do? Did you want him to hold back, let Massaquoi catch the ball, and then bring him down gently? Harrison had an opportunity to dislodge the ball from the receiver and force an incomplete pass. If Massaquoi didn't crouch down at the last second, or if McCoy didn't throw the ball behind Massaquoi, none of this would have happened. It would have been a hard hit to Massaquoi's chest, right where Harrison was aiming for before Massaquoi lowered his body. McCoy had no business floating the ball over the middle to be quite honest. That was a recipe for disaster, especially against a defense that plays all over the field and is as fast as Pittsburgh's.

Don't tell me what the hell to do either. I am not out there starting fights in the stands and talking shit to fans over football games. That's not my thing. Arguing on a message board while watching a baseball game is not hurting anyone.

Most of the NFL from a player stand point agrees with Fujita. I'll give you one better though. The NFL selling prints of the hit.

http://www.replayphotos.com/nflphotostore/...quoi_321187.cfm

What exactly did you want Harrison to do? Did you want him to hold back, let Massaquoi catch the ball, and then bring him down gently? Harrison had an opportunity to dislodge the ball from the receiver and force an incomplete pass. If Massaquoi didn't crouch down at the last second, or if McCoy didn't throw the ball behind Massaquoi, none of this would have happened. It would have been a hard hit to Massaquoi's chest, right where Harrison was aiming for before Massaquoi lowered his body. McCoy had no business floating the ball over the middle to be quite honest. That was a recipe for disaster, especially against a defense that plays all over the field and is as fast as Pittsburgh's.

Don't tell me what the hell to do either. I am not out there starting fights in the stands and talking shit to fans over football games. That's not my thing. Arguing on a message board while watching a baseball game is not hurting anyone.

1. Spare me the separate the receiver from the ball argument. Been there. Done that. See TJ Ward. I agree it's his job.

2. Don't give me the "crouching Massaquoi" crap. James Harrison left his feet and launched with the crown of his helmet into his neck area. He wasn't aiming for his gut.

3. McCoy and any other QB makes that throw. It wasn't behind the receiver at all. Massaquoi gets paid to go over the middle like Hines Ward does.

You're blindly defending your player for no other reason than he's a Steeler. If he was on some other team you wouldn't go to these lengths to defend him when the video evidence and the league feels that he's hit someone illegally.

All of those opposed to the fine of 75k, I have a question for you.

Can Harrison make an open field tackle?

I dont think he knows how to tackle and his playing days are going to be numbered unless he changes his technique.

We just might start seeing a better game acrossed the board with this firm stand on cheapshots from the league.

This is supposed to be a sport of professional athletes, and some of these goones have made bank on just being strong and not for being good football players.

So you can continue bitchin and whining, but in the end we will see better played defenses acrossed the board.

He made the team playing special teams. Harrison is one of the best form tacklers in the league. His fudamentals are as good as they can get. Don't let his hard hits trick you into thinking his technique isn't there. The probable is form tackles don't knock the ball loose unless you are hitting the ball carrier straight on. If the ball carrier has his back turned you won't even touch the ball attempted a form tackle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hme86yacIKc

This vid stands as proof form tackles are by far the best way to go when a defender is facing the ball carrier.

"So you can continue bitchin and whining, but in the end we will see better played defenses acrossed the board."

?? It's you people whining over Harrison's hit (the same hit your linebacker and RB say was clean and just part of the game - but you surely no more than NFL players in reguards to how to play the game :rolleyes:) What the hell is that part about a better defense?

He had very little to do with either Super Bowl folly. For the most part he gave two average performances and really the Steelers D got manhandled by both the Cardinals and Seahawks.

Harrison is too small to really be any kind of force in the NFL. He relies on dirty hits to give him an edge and the NFL supports what I say because they not only fined him, BUT earmarked him, just as I have, as a player who cannot accomplish much without the dirty hit.

That is indeed what the NFL said when they announced his fine was larger because he does this all the time.

Those are just the facts.

He is an average player who uses illegal plays to make it appear that he is good. Really, take away the smoke and mirrors, and he blows.

"He had very little to do with either Super Bowl folly." He actually had the longest play in Super Bowl history that swung the score by 14 points. He also drew two holding penalties.

Shuan Alexander - league MVP - was held under 100 rushing yards and no tds.

Boldin had 1 catch the first half.

Fitzgerald didn't get his first catch until the 4th quarter.

The Cards were held to 33 yards rushing on the game.

3/8 on 3rd downs

Harrison has been voted all-pro in every season he has started. He also was named NFL Defensive MVP in 08.

The NFL didn't say he makes hits like that all the time. He was fined ealier in the season for a half sack he got by sacking Vince Young. He got flipped over the other defender tackling him, but somehow they fined Harrison for it.

This obviously comes as a surprise to you but you can't just makes things up and say they are fact.

No. Dr. Cantu is the one advising commissioner Goodell (at least he was last fall) as well as some other experts that are colleagues of mine. Trust me, the commissioner has the best college educated minds in the business telling him what's best for the players. James Harrison himself showed us his knowledge on closed head injuries with his postgame quotes. Who are you going to trust? Dr. Robert Cantu who is a professor of neurosurgery at the Brigham or James "He was 'asleep' so it's all good" Harrison?

Edit: The NFL has appointed two new doctors to head it's official panel on concussions. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/17/sports/17concussions.html

Since when does Goodell or Dr. Cantu get the right to tell these players what is best for their bodies?

The players don't want to be told wants best for them by a man most probably haven't spoken to before. (Whether that be Goodell or a doctor)

When a politician ignores what his constitiuents say is best and just do whatever the hell he feels like he gets voted out. Goodell is supposed to represent his players, not just say he knows what's best and they have to do what he says.

He made the team playing special teams. Harrison is one of the best form tacklers in the league. His fudamentals are as good as they can get. Don't let his hard hits trick you into thinking his technique isn't there. The problem is form tackles don't knock the ball loose unless you are hitting the ball carrier straight on. If the ball carrier has his back turned you won't even touch the ball attempted a form tackle.

Yeah, but leading with your helmet full bore into a guy that's already being tackled - and almost taking his head off sure will dislodge the ball. And don't give me the BS that Harrison didn't have the time to get his head up, or tackle with his hands- he had the opportunity and went for a deliberate kill shot on Cribbs. BTW, the Commish's office laid it out- rule 12 you can't spear a defenseless player- and that will go for not just wrs. Since Cribbs was already wrapped up and going down, I'd say he was not exactly in a position to protect himself.

Here's the exact quote of the rule- trolls. NFL Rule 12

"Note: Defenseless players in (f) and (g) shall include (i) a player in the act of or just after throwing a pass; (ii) a receiver catching or attempting to catch a pass; (iii) a runner already in the grasp of a tackler and whose forward progress has been stopped; (iv) a kickoff or punt returner attempting to field a kick in the air; and (v) a player on the ground at the end of a play.

If Harrison wants to keep getting game checks, he had damn better unlearn his headhunting ways. Goodell hath spoken- And to our Steeler trolls- if you think it's such an injustice to your goon, why not help pay his fine.

Archived