THE BROWNS BOARD

Damn straight. You won't believe Tomlin's idiocy on Harrison's fines for dangerous helmet shots

calfoxwc

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl-290849

Wed Dec 01 01:41pm EST

Tomlin: Harrison shouldn't be fined because of kids' tuition

By Chris Chase

Mike Tomlin has James Harrison's(notes) back. The Pittsburgh Steelers coach defends his star linebacker every time he's fined for a late, illegal or vicious hit. It happens quite often -- Harrison has been fined $125,000 so far this year -- so you'd imagine Tomlin has to work hard to come up with new justifications for why his player shouldn't be fined. His newest one: college tuition payments.

Though Harrison's children aren't yet in kindergarten, Tomlin told Alex Marvez of Sirius NFL Radio that the NFL should think of the kids before levying any new fines against the linebacker:

"We talk about the money like it's Monopoly money sometimes just because these guys happen to be professional athletes. [One-hundred thousand] is [$100,000], I don't care how much money you make. I take offense at times just in general how all of us talk about the money. He's got two kids. That's some serious college schooling right there potentially for those kids 16, 18 years from now."

Tomlin has a point. Between roster bonuses and salary, Harrison will make $3.55 million this season. The $125,000 in fines he's earned so far represent 1/28th of his salary. That's the equivalent of someone who earns $50,000 per year paying a $1,785 fine. Is that enough to force his kids to go to community college? Not unless he hired M.C. Hammer's financial adviser. However, it's still a fair percentage of a salary no matter which tax bracket you're in.

But -- and there's most definitely a but -- Harrison isn't an innocent in this. He's earned those fines for putting other players' lives and careers in danger. If Tomlin is worried about Harrison's two kids, what about the kids of those two Cleveland Browns players Harrison tried to decapitate earlier this year? They'd be much worse off if their father couldn't earn any money from football because some headhunting fool broke his neck.

There's a delicate line to tiptoe when trying to elicit sympathy for a millionaire athlete. Fans can put aside the absurdity of the dollars because of principle, but once you try to apply real-world examples to the plight of a guy who earned $16 million last year, you tend to lose Joe Pittsburgh. We sympathize with Derek Jeter because he's getting lowballed by the Yankees despite the fact that he's been the most visible, marketable member of the franchise since Mickey Mantle. We can support Darrelle Revis(notes) holding out in training camp to get paid; he's the best cornerback in the game who deserves to get what he can when he can.

But I'm supposed to cry for James Harrison because he gets avoidable fines that take a dent out of his $51 million contract? I'll save my outrage, thanks.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl-290849

Tomlin has a point. Between roster bonuses and salary, Harrison will make $3.55 million this season. The $125,000 in fines he's earned so far represent 1/28th of his salary. That's the equivalent of someone who earns $50,000 per year paying a $1,785 fine. Is that enough to force his kids to go to community college? Not unless he hired M.C. Hammer's financial adviser. However, it's still a fair percentage of a salary no matter which tax bracket you're in.

I ain't buying "it's gonna hurt his kids". He should have been able to bank enough cash already to put his kids through Harvard.

OH, and on the guy making $50k a year- if he picks up a DUI, it's probably going to cost him at least $1,700, if not more.

I heard this interview and Tomlin did say that in that tone. It was ridiculous. First off, James Harrison's kids aren't going to Harvard. His gene pool isn't that good. Second of all, cry me a river. So, we aren't supposed to fine NFL players because they might go broke? I was AMAZED that the hosts of the show even allowed this line of thought to continue without questioning it.

What a totally bullshit line of logic. The flaws in thatline of argument show how out of touch these guys are.

When you earn $50K and have a family to support - that's tough real tough. You never have enough money to accumulate a cushion that truly protects you. And yes, a loss of 1700 would hurt - but it would hurt a thousand times more than the pro rated equivalent of someone earning millions because you will never get a life event that means you are financially stable FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

Tomlin is a wanker, Harrison is a wanker, all steelers are wankers.

I'm sick of this feel sorry for harrision BS. It's like "cry for a steeler" week on NFL total access (like it was when their molesting #7 had his bathroom adventures). That moron Rod Woodson (who I HATE) was on last night defending Harrisions "style" of play - what a tosser. Once a stooler always a stooler.

I'm going to wear THREE "I HATE THE STEELERS" T shirts next season.

H

In other news both Brian Urlacher and Terrel Suggs have made it their point come out and publicly defend Harrison against the flag and fined handed to him this past weekened....Tomlin's point was Goodell is wrongly taking money from Harrison. No matter how much money you possess it's never okay for someone else to wrongly take any amount from you. The guy writing this article has the brain capacity of a drunk.....Cal is the biggest closet Steeler fan I have ever seen. That's all he ever talks about.

If he stopped lower his head...problem solved. Of course players will defend him. Ron Cooke of the fan happens to agree with the fine, and he's the biggest stool sympathizer on the radio. "I don't know what the NFL wants"......they want u to stop ducking you head you single chromosome imbecile

But -- and there's most definitely a but -- Harrison isn't an innocent in this. He's earned those fines for putting other players' lives and careers in danger. If Tomlin is worried about Harrison's two kids, what about the kids of those two Cleveland Browns players Harrison tried to decapitate earlier this year? They'd be much worse off if their father couldn't earn any money from football because some headhunting fool broke his neck.

See above

I'm thinking that the purpose of a fine is that it is painful and inconvenient; hence, the motivation to change one's behavior. I can't believe that anyone actually believes these fines are imposing any hardship on Harrison or anyone else in the NFL who's been "penalized" for draconian tackling techniques.

Tomlin's a knucklehead and the interviewers who allowed him to get away with this ridiculous argument should be benched for not knowing how to do their jobs.

In other news both Brian Urlacher and Terrel Suggs have made it their point come out and publicly defend Harrison against the flag and fined handed to him this past weekened....Tomlin's point was Goodell is wrongly taking money from Harrison. No matter how much money you possess it's never okay for someone else to wrongly take any amount from you. The guy writing this article has the brain capacity of a drunk.....Cal is the biggest closet Steeler fan I have ever seen. That's all he ever talks about.

i understand what you're saying and i agree that it does seem unfair towards harrison. however, this thread was not started to defend harrison but point out to everyone that tomlin made stupid comments.

latrell spreewell called, he wants his line back.

also, i still think that it all comes down to the fact that his attitude has been poor through the whole ordeal. he continues to show no remorse and antagonise the league. i', not saying that he should be sorry for what he's done, but be smart. at least act like you're sorry so that the commish gets off your back. you can't go around saying "i'm out to hurt people" and "i'm going to keep playing the same way" and not expect to be fined for big hits. he put the target on his own back.

I ain't buying "it's gonna hurt his kids". He should have been able to bank enough cash already to put his kids through Harvard.

OH, and on the guy making $50k a year- if he picks up a DUI, it's probably going to cost him at least $1,700, if not more.

Unless his kids have the academic stones they ain't getting into Harvard no matter how much money Harrison has (unless perhaps he donates a couple of million to their endowment fund). No, they can probably go to Kent State, just like he did.

My kid goes to a school that costs just as much as Harvard, and 75+% of his tuition is paid because I don't make that much money.

Give me one year of Harrison's salary....even reduced by the 125K in fines, and I would put enough away to send both my kids through their entire college careers.

In all honesty, that call on Sunday was borderline. Nevertheless, it is clear that Harrison has lost all benefit of the doubt on these close plays.

See above

I'm thinking that the purpose of a fine is that it is painful and inconvenient; hence, the motivation to change one's behavior. I can't believe that anyone actually believes these fines are imposing any hardship on Harrison or anyone else in the NFL who's been "penalized" for draconian tackling techniques.

Tomlin's a knucklehead and the interviewers who allowed him to get away with this ridiculous argument should be benched for not knowing how to do their jobs.

It would be far more devastating financially for Harrison to be suspended for a game. Then he would lose an entire game check......and yea, I could probably put both my kids through their entire college career on one James Harrison game check....which is what? Over half a million dollars?

Maybe we should start a charity for Harrison's kids.

Oh wait ... NFL fines DO go to charities ... The United Way ... where they help disadvantaged youngsters get a boost in life ... kids whose daddies don't make millions playing in the NFL. Kids without daddies. Kids without shoes.

Keep it up, Harrison, they are counting on you each week...

Zombo

Maybe we should start a charity for Harrison's kids.

Oh wait ... NFL fines DO go to charities ... The United Way ... where they help disadvantaged youngsters get a boost in life ... kids whose daddies don't make millions playing in the NFL. Kids without daddies. Kids without shoes.

Keep it up, Jerome, they are counting on you each week...

Zombo

Jerome? Whats Jerome Harrison have to do with this?

Had a heck of a year with us last year. Is he still with the Eagles?

In other news both Brian Urlacher and Terrel Suggs have made it their point come out and publicly defend Harrison

Yea like men and not like a little bitch-ass coach whining about...college tuition payments! WTF. You and all the little bitch front-running Stooler fans can suck it, like your wife did 10 times last night.

Notable drunks: Ernest Hemingway, Charles Bukowski, Stephen King, William Faulkner, O. Henry/William Porter, Truman Capote, John Steinbeck, Edgar Allen Poe, Hunter S. Thompson, and they all had more brain capacity than you. If the writer had only the brain capacity of a drunk, then what kind of brain capacity do Harrison and Tomlin have? The writer has a reading comprehension level high enough to complete sentences. I doubt either of those two gentleman have more than a twelth grade reading level. Tomlin might, but Harrison, I bet, has trouble signing his well deserved checks that he keeps having to give back to the NFL.

Notable drunks: Ernest Hemingway, Charles Bukowski, Stephen King, William Faulkner, O. Henry/William Porter, Truman Capote, John Steinbeck, Edgar Allen Poe, Hunter S. Thompson, and they all had more brain capacity than you. If the writer had only the brain capacity of a drunk, then what kind of brain capacity do Harrison and Tomlin have? The writer has a reading comprehension level high enough to complete sentences. I doubt either of those two gentleman have more than a twelth grade reading level. Tomlin might, but Harrison, I bet, has trouble signing his well deserved checks that he keeps having to give back to the NFL.

Other notable drunks: Ulysses S. Grant. Richard Burton, Drew Barrymore, Eric Clapton, Alexander the Great, Joseph Stalin, Joe McCarthy, John Ford, John Huston, Robert Downey Jr., Jack Kerouac, David Crosby, Mary Tyler Moore, George W. Bush, William Shatner, Johnny Cash, Betty Ford, Judy Garland, John Denver, Mel Gibson, Tim Allen, Errol Flynn, Mickey Mantle, Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio, Joe Namath, Jackie Gleason, Boris Yeltsin, Doc Holiday, Billy Holiday, Winston Churchill, Charlie Sheen, Elton John, Nick Nolte, Natalie Wood, Tommy Lee Jones, George Carlin, Frank Sinatra, Anthony Hopkins, John Bonham, Michael Landon, Billy Joel, Jimmy Hendrix, Dylan Thomas, James Thurber, Hank Williams, Robin Williams, O. Henry.

I heard this interview and Tomlin did say that in that tone. It was ridiculous. First off, James Harrison's kids aren't going to Harvard. His gene pool isn't that good. Second of all, cry me a river. So, we aren't supposed to fine NFL players because they might go broke? I was AMAZED that the hosts of the show even allowed this line of thought to continue without questioning it.

Or how about Goodell and Co. are ruining the league and the hits he's being fined for shouldn't be fine worthy offenses. Players all over the league are upset about the rule change. Suggs of the Ravens recently went to bat for Harrison, others have spoken up. The players Union filed a grievance. The best part Goodell wants to crack down on certain types of hits but also wants to extend the regular season to 18 games. Makes perfect sense. I can't believe a fan base that at, at least one point in time prided itself on hard nosed football has a thread on hits that shouldn't be fine worthy. Oh wait it's because Harrison is a Steeler. If he weren't it wouldn't be a topic. Just stop watching football because the current state of affairs is shameful. The league if it continues down this path will be changed forever and not in a good way.

Umm did these guys not see the play? Leading with you helmet on a qb was a flag 2 years ago and its still a flag now. I think a few of these guys need to get check for brain damage to many blows to the head they are starting to sound real stupid.

Other notable drunks: Ulysses S. Grant. Richard Burton, Drew Barrymore, Eric Clapton, Alexander the Great, Joseph Stalin, Joe McCarthy, John Ford, John Huston, Robert Downey Jr., Jack Kerouac, David Crosby, Mary Tyler Moore, George W. Bush, William Shatner, Johnny Cash, Betty Ford, Judy Garland, John Denver, Mel Gibson, Tim Allen, Errol Flynn, Mickey Mantle, Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio, Joe Namath, Jackie Gleason, Boris Yeltsin, Doc Holiday, Billy Holiday, Winston Churchill, Charlie Sheen, Elton John, Nick Nolte, Natalie Wood, Tommy Lee Jones, George Carlin, Frank Sinatra, Anthony Hopkins, John Bonham, Michael Landon, Billy Joel, Jimmy Hendrix, Dylan Thomas, James Thurber, Hank Williams, Robin Williams, O. Henry.

Well, I wanted to stick with writers, for he was bashing the writer there. Ted Kennedy, Walt Whitman, the list goes on.

Typical ghetto behavior.

If this whole feel bad for my kids thing doesn't work out for them I bet they play the race card next.

I wonder what ol Harrison will think when his kids play peewee football and get knocked out after the whistle? I bet he wont be singing the same tune he is now, thats for sure.

Or how about Goodell and Co. are ruining the league and the hits he's being fined for shouldn't be fine worthy offenses. Players all over the league are upset about the rule change. Suggs of the Ravens recently went to bat for Harrison, others have spoken up. The players Union filed a grievance. The best part Goodell wants to crack down on certain types of hits but also wants to extend the regular season to 18 games. Makes perfect sense. I can't believe a fan base that at, at least one point in time prided itself on hard nosed football has a thread on hits that shouldn't be fine worthy. Oh wait it's because Harrison is a Steeler. If he weren't it wouldn't be a topic. Just stop watching football because the current state of affairs is shameful. The league if it continues down this path will be changed forever and not in a good way.

This coming from a Steeler fan posting on a Browns Message Board.. Oh the irony! :lol:

This coming from a Steeler fan posting on a Browns Message Board.. Oh the irony! :lol:

That wont work on these trolls. No matter how much of they're life they waste here they will never, ever, ever, realize how big of hypocrites they actually are.

It's like you tell them hey, get off the Browns board if your only going to bitch about what we write but nope. They're still here. Even when the squeelers are playing football and theres 2 min left in the 4th quarter and the scores tied, they are still here bitching about what us Browns fans write on these Browns forums rather then watching the team they rep from 2 states away finish out the game.

Bottom Line is its Bull S*** Sissification of the NFL. Wait till the Browns Defense Grows uo and starts Rockin People... You guys wont feel the same way anymore. The Hit Sunday ? As he is releasing the Ball ... come on P***Y BS ! And If Ben was on the recieving end... which he ofttimes is... Then so be it. And In BRs career ...he has just next to No Roughing the Passer called in his favor. Candy~A** Society is taking over.

I hate the steelers and there gay fans and I'm not saying harrisons hits were al clean.

I do agree the nfl is gaying it up by all these rules, every couple of years the rules get changed. Defenses can't dive at qbs knees or hit the in the head. When ur being blocked and ur hand barely hits a qbss helmet, there should be no 15 yard penalty.

What's next, flag football or two hand touch?

Bottom Line is its Bull S*** Sissification of the NFL. Wait till the Browns Defense Grows uo and starts Rockin People... You guys wont feel the same way anymore. The Hit Sunday ? As he is releasing the Ball ... come on P***Y BS ! And If Ben was on the recieving end... which he ofttimes is... Then so be it. And In BRs career ...he has just next to No Roughing the Passer called in his favor. Candy~A** Society is taking over.

It wasn't a late hit call so releasing the ball makes no difference. If you lower your head (or lead with your head whatever you want to call it) the refs will call it every time. That's why he was fined. That is why he keeps getting fined. You can still hit hard and continue being a physical player without leading with your head.. The browns defense hits hard yet stays within the rules like the other 30 teams in the league that play by the rules.. Harrison, Hines Ward, and Tomlin can cry and moan all they want but the bottom line is that if Harrison doesn't want to get fined, he should play by the rules...

It seems to me that we already did have a player get fined for a similar such hit on a bengals player and guess what...? He didn't get fined again all season since that game (game 3 i believe). Which to me tells me that he learned the rules and guidelines that are entailed in the rules which BTW are NOT new rules they are just buckling down on enforcing them more this year. Maybe that has to do with the new 18 game schedule I don't know but these supposed "new" rules all you Steeler Trolls are bitching about have been around for several years. Go cry in your panzy azz, rapist milk and find somewhere better than a BROWNS board to post your crap. ( I know I know you chose a crap team so you feel like you can be a part of something special by hanging around here all day...)

It wasn't a late hit call so releasing the ball makes no difference. If you lower your head (or lead with your head whatever you want to call it) the refs will call it every time. That's why he was fined. That is why he keeps getting fined. You can still hit hard and continue being a physical player without leading with your head.. The browns defense hits hard yet stays within the rules like the other 30 teams in the league that play by the rules.. Harrison, Hines Ward, and Tomlin can cry and moan all they want but the bottom line is that if Harrison doesn't want to get fined, he should play by the rules...

Its BS man... sorry .. not being a Homer. Its just that the Old Lambert "Just Put Skirts on them " has come back with a vengeance.

By the way Large disagreement on the "Leading with head" Golic Brian Urlacher and and a few other guys said what was Harrison to do ? He put his Face mask (Upper part) and his Helmet numbers in the QB ..CHEST... Good lord. Its pathetic...and Pussified.

Archived