THE BROWNS BOARD

Cribbs

4Browns

What has happened to Josh this season? No touchdowns this season and watching the games he hasn't even been close to breaking one. He is ranked 32nd at 21.4 yards per kickoff return, longest return is 36 yards. Ranked 17th in punt returns at 8.3 yards per return, longest only 17 yards. He finally gets the big contract and the production is gone?

Ankle injury, concussion, and 4 dislocated toes.

He is bruised. Thats all.

yes and it also doesn't help when the kickers try to bounce the ball in front of him or kick it along the sideline to avoid a lengthy return. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that. By kickers purposely keeping the ball away from Cribbs, they are showing him respect.

yes and it also doesn't help when the kickers try to bounce the ball in front of him or kick it along the sideline to avoid a lengthy return. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that. By kickers purposely keeping the ball away from Cribbs, they are showing him respect.

You said it all in one word..."respect". Every team we have played has done all they can to avoid getting hit by the quick score from Cribbs.

Mike

I could not disagree more with this. He isn't the type of player, and if he was, Mangini would have traded him by now. This is wrong. Period.

I'm not calling out the type of player he is. He's just not playing for a contract extension anymore, he's playing for longevity. He's not going to take the same risks he did last year, period.

It's not a knock on Cribbs, it's just a practical approach to a career. Don't get your panties in a bunch, the NFL is a business.

I'm not calling out the type of player he is. He's just not playing for a contract extension anymore, he's playing for longevity. He's not going to take the same risks he did last year, period.

It's not a knock on Cribbs, it's just a practical approach to a career. Don't get your panties in a bunch, the NFL is a business.

Sorry he's my boy I gotta back him up haha.

I think it's the injuries and the fact that a lot of teams kick away from him. Early in the season you could tell his ankle was hurting because he'd only run straight ahead. He couldn't cut to save his life. Then came the dislocated toes.

I would hate to think that the fan base that Josh loves would be questioning his desire or commitment while he's secretly nursing a far worse injury than he lets on. That would be a shame.

I think it's the injuries and the fact that a lot of teams kick away from him. Early in the season you could tell his ankle was hurting because he'd only run straight ahead. He couldn't cut to save his life. Then came the dislocated toes.

I would hate to think that the fan base that Josh loves would be questioning his desire or commitment while he's secretly nursing a far worse injury than he lets on. That would be a shame.

Well said. Josh is a PLAYER & one who is dedicated the the Browns & Brown's fans. I'll take 53 just like him!

Mike

he isn't having a bad season.

Look....kick returns for a TD are maybe 60% luck to go along with skill.

Josh has a lot of skill returning kicks.....but he has had a good deal of luck as well.

Face the facts.....he could get even better as a returner and never return a kick for a TD again.

But, if you are just wanting a opinion of why he isn't hitting the seams as in the past....I think he is a yard slower in the 100....and a yard is all it takes to break it or get tackled.

Along with the luck factor - a flaw that I have seen in this team is our ability to block on Special Teams. There is rarely a deep hole to run to. Reversed, we are making it harder for teams to block us on the other side of Special Teams. Cribbs is beat up, and will earn his money with the effort he puts on other places within the organization and the ability to recruit talent and bring good vibes towards the city and organization. He is marketable and other players enjoy playing with someone like that. But, he isn't marketable to the point of Edwards (Cribbs puts it all out there, all the time - outside success comes to him). The point is - it isn't all Cribbs fault this year, and I personally would rather have a better offense, and a better ability to eliminate opposing teams Special Team threats, than to have our Kick Returner be our main focal point.

I'm not calling out the type of player he is.

actually by saying he got paid and that's why his production dropped you are doing exactly that.

this:

He's just not playing for a contract extension anymore, he's playing for longevity. He's not going to take the same risks he did last year, period.

yet you think he needs to stop jumping?????

how is that not completely contradictory?

I believe i saw the same thing with devin hester once they turned him into a wide reciever, i think now he is basically conctrating on his route running and catching opposed to trying to shine on every kick or punt return when that was the only time he got to see the ball, hes still a great player i just think there spreading him to thin

He got his money, that's what happened.

No way. He's dinged up is what- and if it was just for the money, he wouldn't even bother trying to play with 4 bum toes. It's said your big toe is half of your foot- so subtract the other four toes, and Josh is out there trying to run on 1 &1\2 feet. If it was just I got paid, now I can sit. he'd pull a Stallworth on the Browns.

When healthy, teams were kicking away from Josh. Well guess what? He's not healthy. The margin between being all world and a nobody in the NFL is razor thin- especially in the kick return business. A 1\2 step is the difference between being gone and getting tackled.

It has nothing to do with the contract, he's playing injured this year. As he heals up, I expect some big things from him down the stretch. That's a real insult to Josh to say he isn't the same player because he got paid ... we know him better.

Zombo

I'm dissapointed with his lack of offensive touches than anything. Teams are avoiding him on kick offs.. that should be expected.. they can't avoid him when we hand off to him or throw to him... All the off season talk of the different formations and we have seen maybe a total of 20 plays this year, give or take a few. He should be sitting right now with 6-8 touchdowns.. but nadda. The injuries don't help, but even when healthy, he's not getting the ball enough.

I'm dissapointed with his lack of offensive touches than anything. Teams are avoiding him on kick offs.. that should be expected.. they can't avoid him when we hand off to him or throw to him... All the off season talk of the different formations and we have seen maybe a total of 20 plays this year, give or take a few. He should be sitting right now with 6-8 touchdowns.. but nadda. The injuries don't help, but even when healthy, he's not getting the ball enough.

Nadda must equal 1 because he did have a 40 yard TD reception at the beginning of the year.

What has happened to Josh this season? No touchdowns this season and watching the games he hasn't even been close to breaking one. He is ranked 32nd at 21.4 yards per kickoff return, longest return is 36 yards. Ranked 17th in punt returns at 8.3 yards per return, longest only 17 yards. He finally gets the big contract and the production is gone?

He got paid! Isn't that what happens when players get the big contracts. They stink until their contract is almost up again and then they go back to work and expect to "get paid" again. IMO all contracts should be incentive base and you would see alot more good football.

Cribbs touches through 12 games this year compared to last year and yes I know he has missed 1 and 1/2 games this year.

We all know that they have been kicking away for Cribbs on kickoffs but when they do kick to hes really nothing to work with. There are to many guys coming free on the returns. I mean can you recall even one return that you thought he might break it? Wonder if Cribbs is taking the special teams guys to the pro bowl this year?

Heres another stat for you guys we are #1 in Kick Return defense and #32 in Kick Returns

Kick Returns

45-2009 27-2010

Punt Returns

25-2009 16-2010

Receptions

18-2009 17-2010

Rushing Attempts

34-2009 16-2010

Archived