THE BROWNS BOARD

My thought on Colt

DawgEatSteel

I know this year was tough...a lot of heart break but i think everyone should watch colt mccoys post game press conference i really got chills down my spine...I've always been behind this kid and i always wished that we would draft him....he said that hes committed to turning things around here and that made me so happy...i really hope that he stays our starting QB next season because once he develops he will be good...i dont start topics on here much mainly because im afraid of getting my head bit off but i want to hear from people who are NOT on the "cut colt" bandwagon because i know he will develop, give him the offseason and some weapons...this team will click i promise you all keep the faith...happy new year and heres to hoping the NFL can fix all its issues so we can see the browns be a .500 team next year!!!!

I had the pleasure of watching Colt's entire career at the University of Texas. He is all class. He is smart, he makes good decisions and he will work as hard as anyone. Given the right coaching in the NFL, a suitable offensive scheme and a solid supporting cast of players, he will do well. I think Holmgren will ensure he is properly developed. I also think we will need a solid, reliable backup at QB. As I said in another post, I feel like a lot of the Browns players folded in the last 4 games which made the whold team look worse than they probably were. Not quitting is a core value of a well-coached team.

I had the pleasure of watching Colt's entire career at the University of Texas. He is all class. He is smart, he makes good decisions and he will work as hard as anyone. Given the right coaching in the NFL, a suitable offensive scheme and a solid supporting cast of players, he will do well. I think Holmgren will ensure he is properly developed. I also think we will need a solid, reliable backup at QB. As I said in another post, I feel like a lot of the Browns players folded in the last 4 games which made the whold team look worse than they probably were. Not quitting is a core value of a well-coached team.

all true but to add to what you said i also thinks he cares...which is important

I don't think the team quit in the last four games. They sucked against the bills but the effort was there. They played right to the end against the bengals.

You could say they quit in the last two games. I don't think the team quit but I think that the remaining people we had on defense couldn't physically compete with the ravens and steelers. We are playing our backups against their starters except for Rubin. I think that Ryan was right when he talked about how much losing robaire and fujita hurt the defense. Of course when you miss a 34 year old DE that bad you have a personnel problem.

I'm concerned with Colt throwing more than 20+ yards... there were some errant passes today. Not sure if the communication between him and his WR was off.. but there were some iffy passes.. The 5-10 yarder, he can thread needles. However there were some drops today to that the have to be caught as well.

He looks like a QB. Has good pose. I'm just concerned with his deeper passes.

I'm concerned with Colt throwing more than 20+ yards... there were some errant passes today. Not sure if the communication between him and his WR was off.. but there were some iffy passes.. The 5-10 yarder, he can thread needles. However there were some drops today to that the have to be caught as well.

I think fixing the right side of our line will help a ton. Colt has had no time to throw on most plays.. I am happy with the eight games he has played as a whole. It will be interesting to see who we select in the first few rounds of the draft... I will be disappointed if we don't draft a pass rusher early on...

I think fixing the right side of our line will help a ton. Colt has had no time to throw on most plays.. I am happy with the eight games he has played as a whole. It will be interesting to see who we select in the first few rounds of the draft... I will be disappointed if we don't draft a pass rusher early on...

I think our right side will be fine with another mid to late round pick and having Tony Pashos back at right tackle next season. Wommack is a good guard and tackle and god willing Lauvoe gets better and actually begins starting ahead of Wommack.

I like Colt. I hope he succeeds. HOWEVER....

The front office needs to decide and stick with it. Me personally? If Luck declares I at least make an effort to trade up and draft him. If he doesn't then give McCoy next season with some weapons. If questions still exist then try for Luck in 2012 or get someone else.

I agree that if there is a possibility that we can move up to get luck without giving up much, or if he some how against the grace of god falls to us we take him, that is unless we are 100% going to the West Coach Offense, then I see Holmgren just staying away from drafting anyone at QB before round 5.

Colt may not have the same skill set, but he is right up there with Tebow. Colt is humble, he works hard, he's smart, and can really turn-around a broken play, as we saw when he broke the tackle and threw it to Hillis and Watson grabbed the deflection.

Colt may not have the same skill set, but he is right up there with Tebow. Colt is humble, he works hard, he's smart, and can really turn-around a broken play, as we saw when he broke the tackle and threw it to Hillis and Watson grabbed the deflection.

Correction, it was Robiskie who got the deflection.

There was a comment during the Seahawks vs. Rams game talking about how Bradford only had a couple completions of over 40 yards. I'd be interested in a breakdown of the two quarterbacks attempts / completions for each passing yardage tier. I know his yards per attempt is higher (7.55 vs. 6.06).

One of the other things that I hear mentioned is how all the other AFC North QBs are larger and therefore better built for cold weather. It'd also be interesting to hear what the NFL average size for a QB is in comparison.

McCoy will be fine. Most of his starts happened to be against the toughest teams on the schedule. He had no real help at WR, with legitimate targets only being the TE, HB, and FB. His Interceptions the last few games were mainly from trying to make things happen because of his desire to win. I'll take that quality in a QB anyday.

Get him some targets and better protection he'll be a fine player for years to come...

I was thinking about the "not making long passes" and it made me laugh a little to myself. He has a decent to subpar receiving core who have a habit of dropping balls. If I were McCoy I'd be a little worried about deep passes too. Of course I'm not, but just felt like sharing that mental image.

Hang in there Pistola .. you shall ride again! :)

I know this year was tough...a lot of heart break but i think everyone should watch colt mccoys post game press conference i really got chills down my spine...I've always been behind this kid and i always wished that we would draft him....he said that hes committed to turning things around here and that made me so happy...i really hope that he stays our starting QB next season because once he develops he will be good...i dont start topics on here much mainly because im afraid of getting my head bit off but i want to hear from people who are NOT on the "cut colt" bandwagon because i know he will develop, give him the offseason and some weapons...this team will click i promise you all keep the faith...happy new year and heres to hoping the NFL can fix all its issues so we can see the browns be a .500 team next year!!!!

He had a bad game today. An excuse is the whole team never showed up. We got our ass kicked. What I have seen from him so far is that he can be a very good QB. He shows some of the key ingredients that make a franchise QB. The main question is in his progression which me and my great friend Ghoolie discussed today is will he step up and be the leader of the team. Demanding excellence from teammates, applauding them, and making plays that earn their respect, and MOST IMPORTANTLY taking command at crucial times.

That is what franchise QB's do. I think Colt can do that, if he is not broken first because our team is devoid of offensive weapons which I have been screamng about for some time.

Go Colt Go Browns.........give him a chance and provide him some weapons

BTW, Sam Bradford stank today and he was the top pick in the whole draft and he DID NOT HAVE TO PLAY THE FORMIDABLe STEELERS WHO DECIDED UP FRONT TO MAKE LIFE MISERABLE FOR COY...........our 100 million dollar line got shredded

Lets see what happens.......I am on your side

I believe in Colt and unless Luck is there thats the only other QB i would want from next years Class give him some weapons and a chance to win with some more playmakers, we have no Jeremy Maclain or Desean Jackson playmakers to through to... Giving a little Heckert respect there :)

He needs a wr that can get separation. MoMass is NOT a #1 by any stretch of the imagination.

How can you even try to throw a +20 yard pass when you have 2 guys in your face before you even set up. I saw the line on Colt was something like 4 sacks, and a ton of hurries and knockdowns. Peyton Manning would have looked like crap with the non- protection he was getting most of the afternoon.

The first int hit Watson in the hands, another one he got hit when he was releasing the ball. FWIW, his hot read on the play was double covered and was a pick 6 waiting to happen.

For those who are entertaining the thought of trading up to get Luck, here's Carolina's asking price TWO #1s, and Hillis. Still interested?

Im not 100% convinced that mccoy is our guy but i will say he is the best prospect we have had under center since our return and this is even under an absolutely abysmal offensive coordinator and system, its going to be interesting to see what the colt can do in an unthrottled offense!

It's too early to tell!

He looked good in some ways and very bad in some ways. he looked bad against tough, physical, defenses which any rookie is likely to do.

He could be a solid QB if the Browns don't ruin him.

like why do you care? go FXXK yourself steeler's QUIFF!!!!!

BTW, Sam Bradford stank today

Dead wrong. I watched that whole game. Yes, I would call it "The Futility Bowl" 2010, but Bradford wasn't the reason Rams lost. He has no receivers. There are few idiots in a uniform running around on the field pretending to be receivers, but they're not catching balls, so they can't be. Sure Bradford played may be a little too conservative but not bad at all for a rookie. Rams are gonna draft and sign receivers this year.

He needs a wr that can get separation. MoMass is NOT a #1 by any stretch of the imagination.

How can you even try to throw a +20 yard pass when you have 2 guys in your face before you even set up. I saw the line on Colt was something like 4 sacks, and a ton of hurries and knockdowns. Peyton Manning would have looked like crap with the non- protection he was getting most of the afternoon.

The first int hit Watson in the hands, another one he got hit when he was releasing the ball. FWIW, his hot read on the play was double covered and was a pick 6 waiting to happen.

For those who are entertaining the thought of trading up to get Luck, here's Carolina's asking price TWO #1s, and Hillis. Still interested?

No thanks. I like 3-4 win seasons.....

Carolina won't trade. They're not stupid. They'll trade Clausen....

I believe in Colt and unless Luck is there thats the only other QB i would want from next years Class give him some weapons and a chance to win with some more playmakers, we have no Jeremy Maclain or Desean Jackson playmakers to through to... Giving a little Heckert respect there :)

I don't see any way that Luck makes it past Carolina, Buffalo, or certainly Arizona if he is there. They all draft ahead of the Browns. I also hear that Jim Harbaugh may be a candidate for the Denver coaching job, and that Denver at #2 would not let Luck go past there. Denver has had good luck drafting Stanford QBs in the past. See: John Elway..

...but Bradford wasn't the reason Rams lost. He has no receivers.

This sounds familiar except McCoy plays in the toughest division in football and Bradford plays in the worst. If his defense had put them down by 14+ points early in the game then you would seem him being forced to open it up, and against an opposing team's defense who's ranked 27th. Compare that to McCoy who was playing against the 2nd in overall defense. McCoy has gained some valuable experience. If he gains a better defense and better receivers then we'll see.

McCoy doesn't have the arm strength to consistently win in the AFC North. Our division has two top rated defenses and two defensive superstars: Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu. Colt can make the majority of the throws but not ALL the throws. That's pretty evident in the last several games, the last two in particular. With Colt we'll be a 9-7 or 8-8 team because we'll consistently lose to the Steelers and Ravens.

McCoy doesn't have the arm strength to consistently win in the AFC North. Our division has two top rated defenses and two defensive superstars: Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu. Colt can make the majority of the throws but not ALL the throws. That's pretty evident in the last several games, the last two in particular. With Colt we'll be a 9-7 or 8-8 team because we'll consistently lose to the Steelers and Ravens.

Brian Sipe,Frank Ryan and Kosar didnt have the strongest arms in the world but they were accurate...I'll take that over some bomb throwining nincompoop like DA any damn day!

Archived