THE BROWNS BOARD

Who Do You Want as Coach?

ClevelandFanForLife

Who Do You Want as the Browns Next Coach?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Pick One

• Mike Holmgren
    • John Gruden
    • Marty Morningweg
    • John Fox
    • College Coach
    • Other Former NFL Coach
    • NFL Coordinator from Another Team

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it is Gruden or Fox, we'll know sooner than later. The longer it takes to announce the least likely it is Gruden or Fox in my opinion. You won't hear if it's Marty till the Eagles are out of the playoffs if that is the direction.

What's with everyone on Gruden's cock? He's an OK coach. Yes he took Dungy's team to the super bowl. Yes it took another head coach to get his old team to the super bowl. But both those teams had veteran players (especially at QB - Brad Johnson and Rich Gannon). Gruden can coach a team that has older and experienced players. He hasn't shown the ability to develop the younger players. Every year after that superbowl, they were in and out of the playoffs and lost in the first round.

Chucky is a decent coach when he has established players. I just don't see him being the guy to be able to develop young talent, which is what we need.

I have a bad feeling we will be disappointed by who is hired as head coach. I don't think we will be able to get Gruden, who is my preference. I really don't want the guy from Philly. I have nothing against him, I'm just tired of waiting around to find a proven coach and am reluctant to gamble on another coordinator. I feel like we've tried everything since '99. A College HC, an NFL coordinator, and a former NFL HC...I really don't know what to expect and am very nervous. Jim Harbaugh would be okay, but I think he's going to Michigan.

I'm pretty sure Lerner is the one saying money aint a thang since he is the owner.

I'm sure, but thats not who I heard actually say it, I heard Holmgren himself say it. Word is Lerner is busy in England jerking to to soccer games, so yeah. He is a wallet, not a person. Holmgren stated that he personally had no budget as to how much he was willing to pay a new HC.

I would prefer Holmgren, simply because he knows what we have...He has witnessed an entire season with the roster he supplied

He now knows what Pittsburgh and Baltimore bring 4 games a year...and what he's going to need to beat them

I could see him bringing in an all star staff (Ray Rhodes,Steve Mariucci,Dick Juerron,Jim Zorn) just to make sure he succeeds

I watched his press conference today, and from his answers today and from what I know about him watching/listening to him in Seattle for 10 years, I really don't think he is going to coach again in the NFL. I think he's put that chapter of his life behind him. He might have a little bit of the "itch" still from time to time, but when push comes to shove I don't think he wants to go back to that grind. (And I don't think his wife wants him to either.)

Just my two cents.

I like chucky or hairball but the chances are slim to none of getting gruden to get off his duff and coach a mess like the browns and hairball would likely be in over his head...

The rest of the media compiled list does not look so good to me, but hey, thats why mike holmgren is the boss and i think we can consider him sincere about getting this team straightened up so im not going to complain to much regardless of who he chooses...

I'd love to see the guy who could have done better with the hand dealt to Mangini so it had better be that guy.

Doesn't ANYONE in the Browns organization think that receivers who can actually catch the ball would have helped this team?

I honestly don't think that are receivers are really all that bad (go ahead and pull out the highschool remarks and flame me), but honestly, think about it. Have we really given them enough throws? Colt is the only one I've seen make that tough threading the needle slant pass with good accuracy. Our passing game, for whatever the reason, wasn't a passing game. I didn't see us making the throws downfield. We would be 3rd and long and settle for a 4 yard pass over the middle. For some reason, no one was throwing down field. Along comes Colt and he's starts throwing downfield. His accuracy (deeper passes) and arm strength is not quite there, but if you are looking at a WCO, which is not about the deeper passes, I think he is going to fit in well.

It takes two to play catch and if you don't throw it, your not going to be able to catch it. IMO, I really don't think our WR crew have been given enough passing attempts and are QB's have been a little gun shy. Not sure if that is how they are being coached, or if they are just scared and afraid to make a mistakes. Sometimes you have to throw it out there and the let WR make a play. Not everyball is going to be perfectly thrown and not every WR is going to be open on every play. Sometimes you just have to make things happen, and let your God given athletesicm kick in.

I like Jeff Fisher after Bud Adams forces him out in Tennessee because he doesn't want to play Vince Young at QB.

That might work and history could repeat itself ...Just likewhen Belicheck got booted out of Cleveland for getting rid of Bernie ( that's when he lost the fanbase)and then he went on to win multiple Super Bowls with another organization and a better QB... Get Fisher and maybe lightning will strike twice for you...You could be the next Patriots :wacko:

HE's been listening to Bud Adams in Tennessee for like 15 years...I'm sure he'd be fine listening to Holmgren.

But Holmgren knows the G-A-M-E of football. Admittedly, Bud Adams is a huge micromanager and a decent NFL businessman. There is a big difference in the Holmgren and Fisher philosophies. It won't happen, but it would be fun to watch.

I honestly don't think that are receivers are really all that bad (go ahead and pull out the highschool remarks and flame me), but honestly, think about it. Have we really given them enough throws? Colt is the only one I've seen make that tough threading the needle slant pass with good accuracy. Our passing game, for whatever the reason, wasn't a passing game. I didn't see us making the throws downfield. We would be 3rd and long and settle for a 4 yard pass over the middle. For some reason, no one was throwing down field. Along comes Colt and he's starts throwing downfield. His accuracy (deeper passes) and arm strength is not quite there, but if you are looking at a WCO, which is not about the deeper passes, I think he is going to fit in well.

It takes two to play catch and if you don't throw it, your not going to be able to catch it. IMO, I really don't think our WR crew have been given enough passing attempts and are QB's have been a little gun shy. Not sure if that is how they are being coached, or if they are just scared and afraid to make a mistakes. Sometimes you have to throw it out there and the let WR make a play. Not everyball is going to be perfectly thrown and not every WR is going to be open on every play. Sometimes you just have to make things happen, and let your God given athletesicm kick in.

I am not going to flame you with name calling because I am not that type of dude, but the WR's are terrible. They never got the ball thrown to them downfield because they couldn't get open. With the exceptions of Cribbs (as a WR) and MoMass who are average at best on a good day they have TERRIBLE WR's. Even those to guys don't require much attention to be stopped and that imho is the biggest problem with this O.

As far as the original question ... I would love to see Jeff Fisher first and foremost, but I doubt it will happen. Even if he steps away from the Titans I don't see him wanting to come here.

So with that being said my real first choice would be John Fox ... I would like to see him with a very good, and experianced O coordinator.

+1 for Jeff Fisher...

Strong D and Stong ground game are his M.O. Just the recipe for the NFC North. And I think he'll be available now that the Texans have retained Kubiak, Adams does not have to worry about being embarassed by Fisher going to Houston and kicking his a$$.

I'd rather throw up in my mouth every hour on the hour for a year than see Gruden get it... He won a superbowl with Dungy's team, and then crushed the team under the weight of his massive ego.

My biggest fear is that we will end up worse off than we were.

Oh... and wide outs have to be a draft priority.

Excatly my feeling as well we have end up worse off than we were before i mean i really think Jim Harabaugh will ethier head for San Fran or go to Michigan, but Denver his riding his dick hard and Elway is going to go after him with everything he has...Then Jeff Fisher most likely he will stay with the Titans but he'd be my next choice at coach him with Peyton Hillis as his running back i could only imange the type of Offense he would wanna play in this AFC North, similar to Eddie George...Then you have Gruden who to me is still riding off of Dungys Sucess from Tampa and loves to play musical QB carasouel not to much of my liking but ill except it if he comes. Then Marty Morningwig i wouldnt mind him as are OC but not HC he could come for OC but i doubt he'd jump ship with Vick and all there weapons just to come here under the same title..Then theres John Fox cant say i hate or love him so dont really know how i feel about that, How about Russ Grimm anyone i know he was apart of Steelers coaching staff awhile back but whats your thoughts on him?

I got it,

HEAD COACH- Wade phillips

just kidding.

First we need to not hit up the Bellicheck tree again, "has not worked out so well".

As for Gruden, he is a pussy and wont be taking a cold weather job unless he gets one hell of a contract. As for Mike holmgren, he should catch some flack for bringing in Jake Delhomo, jake made 7 mil to do what I could do on the field. I don't want to hear about the mentor thing either, it takes a year or better to get mentored anyway. Colt is lucky he has the it factor as a qb, and as of today he is the future star for us. That in itself should bring in a pretty good coach. I personally want to give Marty M a try. This next coach will define MHs legacy

The best thing you guys can hope for is for Holmgren to take the job. A big name coach IS NOT going to come to Cleveland . It simply ain't happnin!

If Holmgren takes the sidelines and creates a respectable organization, you "might" see a big name coach come here is 4-5 years.

You know how stupid that sounds while mentioning Holmgren, who is a HUGE name coach who just came here last year? Dude, take a deep breath, you are having a Baghdad Bob moment.

So how many coaches who get fired are successful the second or third time around?

I say let Holgrem put his money where his mouth is.

I'd guess a coach with what it takes to lead wouldn't be happy as Holgrems buttboy and somebody who would just wants a job.

Also if you have to grab a retread make shure he was a big reason for his teams success.

That is ther team got a lot worse without him.

Unlike Billick Cowher Crennell Mangini and Savage.

WSS

Who is going to want to come coach for a team that fires their coaches every other year? Even after showing improvement!

The Browns have been in the basement a long time and the weather in Cleveland is enough to deter many.

I'm afraid with some of these factors, it will be limiting to who will want to come coach.

Archived