THE BROWNS BOARD

Shurmur Emerging as Frontrunner

shepwrite

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you guys must be lovin this huh? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: be careful what you wish for dummies.

My outside take is there is absolutely nothing wrong with interviewing and possibly hiring a virtual unknown. There aren't really any lofty expectations based on pedigree or lack thereof, he comes in fresh and his a guy familiar with two in your front office. Tomlin wasn't all that well known when hired and he's now arguably one of the best coaches in the league.

My outside take is there is absolutely nothing wrong with interviewing and possibly hiring a virtual unknown. There aren't really any lofty expectations based on pedigree or lack thereof, he comes in fresh and his a guy familiar with two in your front office. Tomlin wasn't all that well known when hired and he's now arguably one of the best coaches in the league.

i'm bustin chops.

i don't agree that tomlin is one of the best coaches though. i do think he's lucky to be amongst, from top to bottom, one of the best organizations in the league.

i'm bustin chops.

i don't agree that tomlin is one of the best coaches though. i do think he's lucky to be amongst, from top to bottom, one of the best organizations in the league.

Well you'd be wrong but it's your opinion too which you're entitled. He's easily one of the best coaches in the league. He commands the sideline, the locker room and his players respond.

Well you'd be wrong but it's your opinion too which you're entitled. He's easily one of the best coaches in the league. He commands the sideline, the locker room and his players respond.

whatever. if being a presence on the sideline makes you a great coach then where is your boy wannstedt? i'm thinking more and more that the ehad coaches in football should be renamed managers as in baseball. are they calling plays? for the most part no. are they setting the defensive schemes? no. they manage the ones that do.

whatever. if being a presence on the sideline makes you a great coach then where is your boy wannstedt? i'm thinking more and more that the ehad coaches in football should be renamed managers as in baseball. are they calling plays? for the most part no. are they setting the defensive schemes? no. they manage the ones that do.

Once again you'd be wrong. Tomlin is heavily involved in the schemes and controls that team. It's short sighted to assume he's some sort of sideline figure head. If that's the case for the Head Coaches in the league why are some of the betters ones paid so substantially?

Dont know very much about him so i cant say i love or hate the pick, i like that he has ties to Heckert and runs the system we are trying to build around here. But seriously you can not tell what hes done with Bradford in only one year only time will tell on that situation, although they didnt have an WRs there this year and he made the best out of it sorta like Cleveland

Like I said, he was QB coach in Philly for like 8 years in a WCO while Heckert was GM and McNabb was making Pro Bowls... then became the Rams OC and was given a lot of credit for keeping Bradford alive and playing productive football in spite of a lack of WRs (hey... sounds like McNabb, too). He's been running Holmgren's WCO (via Reid) for a very long time. He's an inner-circle guy with our brass. He's seen as someone who would be good for Colt McCoy.

He's the nephew of Fritz Shurmur, Holmgren's DC in Green Bay for all those glory years, a personal connection.

My sense was that Holmgren would hire from his own tree and that's exactly what Pat Shurmur is. He's from the offensive side of the ball, which allows for the possibility of retaining Ryan, which is a possibility, I think. Because he isn't an 800-pound gorilla yet, he can co-exist with a very strong prez/GM combo in Holmgren and Heckert.

No doubt that Mornhinweg is a serious player in this thing (Stanford wants him as OC, reportedly, to keep the WCO)... and I'd say it comes down to those two guys. Both fit what I thought we'd want.

Something interesting: He actually was a DEFENSIVE coordinator for the Packers from 94-98 before joining the Eagles for a decade, the last 7 as QB coach. He knows both sides of the ball (well, his uncle was Fritz). He's been a DC AND an OC.

I like it. He's OUR coach for the next 20 years, not a retread.

http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x196619821...ew-Rams-Shurmur

Pat-Shurmur_1822553.jpg

Something interesting: He actually was a DEFENSIVE coordinator for the Packers from 94-98 before joining the Eagles for a decade, the last 7 as QB coach. He knows both sides of the ball (well, his uncle was Fritz). He's been a DC AND an OC.

I like it. He's OUR coach for the next 20 years, not a retread.

http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x196619821...ew-Rams-Shurmur

Pat-Shurmur_1822553.jpg

I wouldnt be so sure about this guy i would rather have a retread than a new tire with an unseen multi ply flaw...

Regardless of who it is we need it to be a real solution and not another 2 and out idiot..

There is no use arguing with the mighty Homo. The entire steeler organization including their fans are Gods :rolleyes:

Shurmur may be a decent candidate. Holmgren & Heckert will decide that.

One correction though, Pat Shurmur was NOT a DC from 1994 to 1998....His Uncle, Fritz Shurmur, was.

Mike

Once again you'd be wrong. Tomlin is heavily involved in the schemes and controls that team. It's short sighted to assume he's some sort of sideline figure head. If that's the case for the Head Coaches in the league why are some of the betters ones paid so substantially?

Not exactly. He inherited a Superbowl team with those schemes already in place. All he has to do is keep the status quo. I've always said that we won't know if Tomlin is a great coach when LeBaue retires and the core guys are gone.

Archived