THE BROWNS BOARD

Shurmur Emerging as Frontrunner

shepwrite

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Once again you'd be wrong. Tomlin is heavily involved in the schemes and controls that team. It's short sighted to assume he's some sort of sideline figure head. If that's the case for the Head Coaches in the league why are some of the betters ones paid so substantially?

Maybe because they have superior talent? Don't put Tomlin on some freaking pedestal. Starting with Belichick and Payton, there's easily about 10 other coaches in the NFL that could win big time with the Steelers talent.

Well you'd be wrong but it's your opinion too which you're entitled. He's easily one of the best coaches in the league. He commands the sideline, the locker room and his players respond.

Got to agree with you there. If he wasn't a good coach he could have ruined a great team even though he inherited it from Cowher. Moreover, he has added talent that continues to contribute. I know I know guys he's a Steelers troll but he's the fan of a winner that's all I'm saying.

A little "insider" update: Shurmur's interview went really well, according to "sources," and he's very well acquainted with both Holmgren and Heckert. He knows both sides of the ball, is a very strong communicator, and is a WCO guy from inside Da Family.

Mularkey's interview was said to be "so-so," which might explain why he's being very tightlipped right now.

Fewell and Mornhingweg come in this week and I'm betting the Browns press Gruden on his availability. OBR guesstimates that it'll come down to Shurmur and Mornhingweg, two very smart WCO guys. Marty is VERY aggressive in his playcalling, which could be fun and/or disastrous. He likes to attack a defense. Shurmur played it very safe with Bradford, the right thing to do, but it did frustrate some fans. Strange that they could be frustrated going from 1-15 to 7-9 and the bring of the playoffs with no WRs, but I read it.

I personally believe Gruden would be the pick, but I get not wanting to miss your son's senior year of football. My guess is Shurmur gets the job and I'd be very happy with that.

He likes to attack a defense.

well then why would he want to come here with nothing to attack with?

either way it's going to be such a lame pick. i don't agree with wrrebel on most topics but, at this point landing gruden would be the 'sexy' pic.

ooh, put on some abba.

well then why would he want to come here with nothing to attack with?

either way it's going to be such a lame pick. i don't agree with wrrebel on most topics but, at this point landing gruden would be the 'sexy' pic.

ooh, put on some abba.

Keep this in mind: Both Mike Smith in Atlanta (even a dull name) and John Harbaugh in Baltimore were said to be un-sexy picks. We both know how they've turned out, though. Winning is sexy.

Pat Shurmur feels like the right choice not because it's sexy... but because it's right. He's perfectly qualified. He's a Holmgren/Heckert guy. The age feels right. He interviews and communicates well. He's a "quarterback coddler" at a time we have a 24-year-old QB.

As far as nothing to attack with... I don't get that. Has somebody told us we're not allowed to bring in WRs this offseason to go with Watson, Hillis, and McCoy? OBR predicts not one but TWO serious additions, one in free agency and one in the draft. We already have one of the best LTs and one of the best centers in football. Add Malcolm Floyd and Justin Blackmon and we're overflowing with weapons.

It's not a lame pick. It's a smart pick.

Shurmur may be a decent candidate. Holmgren & Heckert will decide that.

One correction though, Pat Shurmur was NOT a DC from 1994 to 1998....His Uncle, Fritz Shurmur, was.

Mike

I think he was on the defensive staff. I know he worked on the D side of the ball in those years.

That was his Uncle Fritz.

Yeah, but I've read several times now that Pat knows both sides of the ball because he was a defensive coach from 94 to 98 before joining the Eagles and eventually becoming their QB coach. It makes sense age-wise. I think he worked for his uncle.

UPDATE: I'm trying to figure out why they say he knows both sides of the ball. It has to be what he did BEFORE becoming QB coach in Philly. Not sure what it was yet.

Not seeing an explanation here. This was from an article from 2005 about how Pat was destined to be a head coach because every other WCO QB coach became an OC and then a HC:

It's not a huge surprise Shurmur is where he is. Coaching is in the family. His uncle, Fritz Shurmur, was Green Bay's defensive coordinator when Reid was an offensive assistant for the Packers. In the early '90s, Shurmur coached the offensive line, tight ends at special teams at Michigan State. When the family visited Fritz in Green Bay, Shurmur stopped by Reid's office.

"I started the interview process with Andy way back when," Shurmur said. "When Andy had an opportunity to be a head coach, I moved up the ranks."

In 1999, Reid hired Shurmur from Stanford, where Shurmur coached the offensive line. Shurmur started out as the Eagles' offensive line and tight ends coach. He moved into the QB job when Rod Dowhower retired and Childress was promoted from QB coach to offensive coordinator (take note of Childress' career path).

I am not sold on Shurmur being the right guy. Is he the best OC available to correct our Browns' offense? Look at the numbers. His offense for the Rams this season was ranked 26th in the NFL, only 3 spots better than the Browns at 29. Even the better scoring offense of the Rams (26 as opposed to the Browns 31) is not really all that great. I know he had a poor receiving group and a rookie QB. So did the Browns for much of the season.

I will say that I still trust Holmgren, even despite the fact that I was against firing Mangini. I just hope that my trust is in the right place. If he hires Shurmur, I will trust that it's the right choice, even if I don't agree with it. I just see 2 other OC's on our radar who have their offenses ranked a lot higher and both that actuall made the playoffs, abeit they do have more talent in Philly and Atlanta.

I just am not sure that Shurmur has showed that much more than Daboll has this season...And I can't stand Daboll!!

Not seeing an explanation here. This was from an article from 2005 about how Pat was destined to be a head coach because every other WCO QB coach became an OC and then a HC:

It's not a huge surprise Shurmur is where he is. Coaching is in the family. His uncle, Fritz Shurmur, was Green Bay's defensive coordinator when Reid was an offensive assistant for the Packers. In the early '90s, Shurmur coached the offensive line, tight ends at special teams at Michigan State. When the family visited Fritz in Green Bay, Shurmur stopped by Reid's office.

"I started the interview process with Andy way back when," Shurmur said. "When Andy had an opportunity to be a head coach, I moved up the ranks."

In 1999, Reid hired Shurmur from Stanford, where Shurmur coached the offensive line. Shurmur started out as the Eagles' offensive line and tight ends coach. He moved into the QB job when Rod Dowhower retired and Childress was promoted from QB coach to offensive coordinator (take note of Childress' career path).

All I have is one request. Pat Shurmur better not be a "players coach". I like discipline coaches, not a white version of Romeo Crennel. No, thats not racist.

I get a John Harbaugh vibe off of Shurmur. Like he's smart and can communicate, but that doesn't mean he's soft.

You really can't look at stats for head coaches because of all the other variables. If stats were key, no way Rob Ryan gets hired as our DC, let alone gets some heat as a head coach. His rankings at Oakland weren't impressive and they weren't all that good here.

Or you could look at his "stats" when he was with the Eagles... because those are impressive. And in year two as OC, he improved the Rams offense and made them a competitive team.

What matters, I think, is the interview. Does he have a vision and can he communicate it? Does he seem like a leader of men? And in Shurmur's case, our brass knows him better than just about anybody. If they think he's a head coach, that's pretty telling.

All that said, and the coin flip decision aside, Mornhinweg is viewed as an offensive genius in league circles.

Really?

16476d1294185511-browns-interview-rams-offensive-coordinator-pat-shurmur-pat-shurmur.jpg

"Elsewhere:

In Jobville: I said Saturday on NBC that 45-year-old St. Louis offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur was the hot name in Cleveland, and probably the leader in the clubhouse for the Browns job. That could change, but I hear they want to make a decision quickly, and Shurmur was very impressive when he interviewed with Mike Holmgren on Friday.

Shurmur points of interest: He knows Holmgren from his days hanging around the Packers occasionally when Uncle Fritz was Holmgren's defensive coordinator. He has an MBA. He coached under Nick Saban at Michigan State and Andy Reid in Philadelphia. He's tight with Browns GM Tom Heckert; they worked together for eight years under Reid in Philadelphia. He'd run the exact West Coast offense Holmgren wants run, the one Holmgren taught Reid, and the one Reid taught Shurmur. So the connections are good. We'll see this week if they're good enough"

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writ...l#ixzz1AfvqqjR5

I like the Packers a lot and they're run by an offensive coach, a WCO guy from the Walsh/Holmgren tree. I like everything about that team, including the combo of a WCO and a 3-4 defense, which I have a feeling we'll be playing. I think Bill Walsh is my favorite coach of all time and Holmgren was a pretty damn good one, too.

I like it a lot.

Keep in mind that when you reminisce about the Mangini days, you're dreaming of back to back 5-11 seasons. Honestly, I don't get why anybody's getting "salty" (Hoss) over that. I seriously don't. Is it because he was kind of dull and didn't like quarterbacks much?

I kinda have a boner..

They are saying that shurmur will be named head coach with in the next 48hrs. :) don't believe it..

Here is a tip after the bcs game, gruden will come in.

Stop! Gruden time!

A lot of fans don't get how HUGE the interview process is. It's kept Ron Rivera out of a head coaching job for a very long time. Did the same to Romeo Crennel. A head coach can't just know stuff... he has to be THE LEADER of the team. He has to communicate and motivate. You have coordinators for a lot of the detail work.

Shurmur interviewed extremely well, which probably surprised Heckert and Holmgren not at all, given how well they know him.

Then again... tough to communicate better than Gruden. But a lot of players can't stand him.

Maybe Gruden doesn't want the job.

Anybody think of that??

Maybe he has been contacted and declined to interview.

Maybe he simply doesn't want a job in Cleveland, or maybe he is satisfied with his MNF gig and the scratch it pays.

Prep on the players a day or two...show up Sunday mid day for a meeting, find the booth, hit the restaurant. Show up Monday mid morning for a sound check, go out to lunch, show back up arounf 5PM for the final game prep, then showtime.

Catch a later dinner at the hotel....fly home Tuesday morning.

Monkey around Tuesday and Wednesday, hunker down on names Thursday and Friday, then do it all over again Sunday morning.

Anybody think of that??

Maybe he simply doesn't want a job in Cleveland, or maybe he is satisfied with his MNF gig and the scratch it pays.

Prep on the players a day or two...show up Sunday mid day for a meeting, find the booth, hit the restaurant. Show up Monday mid morning for a sound check, go out to lunch, show back up arounf 5PM for the final game prep, then showtime.

You

Monkey around Tuesday and Wednesday, hunker down on names Thursday and Friday, then do it all over again Sunday morning.

Blasphemy!

We'll see on Gruden he may be there ace up there sleeve but still no rumors no talks whatsover i mean at least Miami U went out and said were going for him and he came right out and said no to that, so why havent we even heard his name in the discussion whats so ever? Maybe he will fall into place and be there if not ill take Shurmur over Morningwig in a heartbeat please no to him

Anybody think of that??

Pretty fantastic schedule and good work if you can find it. Compare that to 15 hour days 9 months (or more) out of the year and the fact that you're eventually going to get fired.

The only thing that would get a guy out of the booth and onto the sidelines is if the highs of coaching are so high that they SIGNIFICANTLY outweigh the lows..which are ridiculously low.

Only Gruden knows for sure. It would seem like Mariucci has made the switch from coach to broadcaster and is enjoying being on the "other" side since his name never gets brought up.

Archived