THE BROWNS BOARD

Shurmur Emerging as Frontrunner

shepwrite

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Gruden doesnt get/take the job I can see someone not getting a boner for a long time. May his Girlfriend lust in peace.

I was reading an article today that said pat shurmur was almost let go after last years offense. The rams offense turn around has to do with sam bradford..

Gruden needs to rise up like chucky and stop being a little girl.

I was reading an article today that said pat shurmur was almost let go after last years offense. The rams offense turn around has to do with sam bradford..

Gruden needs to rise up like chucky and stop being a little girl.

Aw, didja ever think your mancrush Chucky doesn't want to work 15 hour days? That he might actually want to see his kid graduate from High school?

You can be certain Holmgren has already called Jon Boy to gauge his interest, and the betting odds say he's not currently inclined to bust his ass again as a head coach.

BTW, I watched the Seattle- Rams finale, and I can say the Rams wideouts are probably worse than the Browns- hard to believe. They have an entire wr corps of Braylon Edwards types that drop passes hitting them in the hands with great regularity.

Maybe it's because he was building a team the right way? Maybe it was because he actually gets it? Maybe it is because he was installing the type of system dynasties are made from? It could be many reasons. But what's done is done, we're likely going with a shitty OC as Holmgren takes this team from being built like the 70's Stoolers, 70's Cowboys, 90's Cowboys, 00's Patriots and 00's Stoolers, tough and physical with great defense into some lame ass finesse team ran by some mediocre OC who only got an interview because he's a family friend and Bob Lamonte.

You'll excuse us if we're not pulling a WRREBEL when it comes to this situation.

You'll excuse me if im not pulling a LOSERS mentality when it comes to this situation.

Aw, didja ever think your mancrush Chucky doesn't want to work 15 hour days? That he might actually want to see his kid graduate from High school?

You can be certain Holmgren has already called Jon Boy to gauge his interest, and the betting odds say he's not currently inclined to bust his ass again as a head coach.

BTW, I watched the Seattle- Rams finale, and I can say the Rams wideouts are probably worse than the Browns- hard to believe. They have an entire wr corps of Braylon Edwards types that drop passes hitting them in the hands with great regularity.

I do gotta admit i did watch that game as well and the Rams recievers were awful i mean they dropped alot of balls that game...But i mean to hire a basically unknown as a HC from the Rams Offense because he has ties is basically putting Holmgerms job on the line next if you ask me... If he dosent suceed and we do have to fire him whats next for Holmgrem to say you brought in your guy who runs your system and that was your hire...Basically he will probaly say he failed to execute it correctly and ethier try to step down and coach himself or be let go from Cleveland..That is if we do fail it could be a great hire for this team that no one sees coming and build this team into something legit,its really a coin toss so be prepared one way or the other

It's not complicated: Shurmur is a bright guy who spent eight years as QB coach (also known as assistant OC) in Philadelphia running Holmgren's exact offense... the one he fully intends to run in Cleveland. The Browns have a very young QB and Shurmur was given credit for carefully bringing along Sam Bradford as a day one starter on a team with no passcatchers.

Heckert was the GM for all eight of those years. If both Heckert and Holmgren like Shurmur, it sure as hell isn't because they don't really know him. They really do. So unless you think Holmgren and Heckert are morons, that's a pretty damn good endorsement, right?

Excatly we have to trust are FO that they are making the right calls and have a plan in place and this is where they want the team to head, also i like Heckert as a draft evaluator he seems to put together some nice peices as he did in Philly, Last years class was beyond good and a couple more like them with the right personal behind the right system and can you say a really good team

CLEVELAND (AP)—The Browns’ coaching search has either stalled or stopped.

Team president Mike Holmgren did not interview any candidates on Wednesday, the 10th day of Cleveland’s pursuit of a replacement for Eric Mangini. A team spokesman said the Browns had nothing to report and was not aware of any further interviews.

The Browns have met with three known candidates: St. Louis offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur, Atlanta offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey and Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell. It was assumed the Browns would interview Philadelphia offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, but that meeting has not taken place or been scheduled.

The 45-year-old Shurmur is believed to be the front-runner to become Cleveland’s fifth coach in 13 years. He worked in Philadelphia under coach Andy Reid, a protege and close friend of Holmgren’s. Shurmur also worked with Browns general manager Tom Heckert.

ESPN.com, citing anonymous league sources, said the Browns hope to finalize a contract with Shurmur “within the next 48 hours” and introduce him at a news conference by Friday. If that’s the case, negotiations will be interesting to say the least.

Shurmur is represented by agent Bob LaMonte, whose clients include Holmgren, Heckert and Browns executive vice president Bryan Wiedmeier.

Lamonte has not returned numerous phone messages left with his agency throughout Cleveland’s coaching search.

The NFL Network reported the Browns are in contract talks and that LaMonte will come to Cleveland on Thursday to finalize the deal.

Although he lacks head coaching experience, Shurmur’s background running a West Coast offense and working with young quarterbacks is appealing to Holmgren, who set out on his search determined to “find exactly the right person for the job who can eventually someday lead us to the championship. That is my only goal.”

Holmgren wants to expand Cleveland’s offense, which languished under Mangini and offensive coordinator Brian Daboll.

Under Shurmur’s guidance this season, Rams rookie quarterback Sam Bradford(notes) passed for 18 touchdowns and 3,512 yards—second-most by a rookie behind Peyton Manning’s(notes) 3,739 in 1998. Before joining St. Louis’ staff, Shurmur coached Philadelphia’s quarterbacks, and developed Donovan McNabb(notes) into one of the game’s top QBs.

Steve D. brought up some other Holmgren priorities that gradually directed him to Shurmur. I believe he started with hopes of building a staff of guys who were on the same page with him and Heckert, which meant WCO guys with links to Philly, Green Bay, or Seattle. I also think he has interest in retaining Rob Ryan, so the ideal situation was a guy from the offensive side of the ball, like Holmgren himself.

Then add in that Holmgren wanted a coach who could be here for a very long time, providing stability that the team has lacked for a long while. That would eliminate John Fox, most likely.

The Browns are reported to have talked to and about a lot of other guys via "back channels," but I think once Shurmur had his terrific interview with two guys he knows very well, the rest was academic. He meets all of the above criteria and Holmgren and Heckert like the guy and think he has what it takes to be a head coach, period.

Sexy? He's roughly as sexy as Tomlin and Harbaugh were. Remember that both were "surprising" selections, especially Harbaugh, who was on nobody's radar. Tomlin got TONS of "WHO?" quotes, especially from our boards chiding Steelers fans. But both organizations selected guys who would establish new legacies, not cash in on old ones. It's not a stretch to say Shurmur fits perfectly with those two coaches.

I also get the feeling that like most of the league, Holmgren thinks Shurmur did an amazing job with Sam Bradford, not only keeping the rookie alive and productive, but taking the Rams to the brink of a division championship one year after a 1-15 season. Conservative? It was the right thing to do... and it was up to Spags, not Shurmur. Shurmur wasn't the final word.

I don't think he will be now, either. I think he'll be an extension of Holmgren for at least his first season. As one PD writer put it: Gruden would have come in and put his own stamp on the team, for better or worse... and he's not the most popular guy with players. Shurmur will bear Holmgren's stamp... not just of approval, but as Holmgren's pupil.

In fact, the entire team will now bear Holmgren's stamp.

Steve D. brought up some other Holmgren priorities that gradually directed him to Shurmur. I believe he started with hopes of building a staff of guys who were on the same page with him and Heckert, which meant WCO guys with links to Philly, Green Bay, or Seattle. I also think he has interest in retaining Rob Ryan, so the ideal situation was a guy from the offensive side of the ball, like Holmgren himself.

Then add in that Holmgren wanted a coach who could be here for a very long time, providing stability that the team has lacked for a long while. That would eliminate John Fox, most likely.

The Browns are reported to have talked to and about a lot of other guys via "back channels," but I think once Shurmur had his terrific interview with two guys he knows very well, the rest was academic. He meets all of the above criteria and Holmgren and Heckert like the guy and think he has what it takes to be a head coach, period.

Sexy? He's roughly as sexy as Tomlin and Harbaugh were. Remember that both were "surprising" selections, especially Harbaugh, who was on nobody's radar. Tomlin got TONS of "WHO?" quotes, especially from our boards chiding Steelers fans. But both organizations selected guys who would establish new legacies, not cash in on old ones. It's not a stretch to say Shurmur fits perfectly with those two coaches.

I also get the feeling that like most of the league, Holmgren thinks Shurmur did an amazing job with Sam Bradford, not only keeping the rookie alive and productive, but taking the Rams to the brink of a division championship one year after a 1-15 season. Conservative? It was the right thing to do... and it was up to Spags, not Shurmur. Shurmur wasn't the final word.

I don't think he will be now, either. I think he'll be an extension of Holmgren for at least his first season. As one PD writer put it: Gruden would have come in and put his own stamp on the team, for better or worse... and he's not the most popular guy with players. Shurmur will bear Holmgren's stamp... not just of approval, but as Holmgren's pupil.

In fact, the entire team will now bear Holmgren's stamp.

I'm with you Shep, I'm actually excited that we are going with a young energetic guy from the Holmgren tree instead of another Parcels/Belichick "defensive" guy that never puts his stamp on the defense because he's too busy handling everything else, and keeping the media and fans in a fog. You put Shurmur in charge and everything from Holmgren through the scouting department through Schurmur is the same system offensively, and then you get the best DC possible and sign him up long term, if Ryan is that guy, I'm OK with it, I'd like to see how he runs his defense differently than Mangini. Otherewise, I hope we do bring in a 3-4 guy, because I don't see alot of talent on the DL, but as long as we are dedicated to a defensive system that can rival the Ravens and Steelers then I'm happy. Shurmur's uncle was a great defensive guy, I'm sure Pat knows we have to be very good on both sides of the ball to compete in the AFC North.

Zombo

For those of you who are wondering about Fritz Shurmur, Pat's uncle who we speak of, he was Holmgen's DC wen they went to back to back Super Bowls and had the #1 defense, I believe. (For you QB enthusiasts, the only time Favre made a SB was when he had a great defense).

Shurmur went with Holmgren to Seattle in 99 to be the DC, but passed away before the Season started.

And Pat coached under Andy Reid for the better part of a decade ... so there is a BIG Holmgren connection.

I like Mike Holmgren, always have, I think he was fair to give Mangini another year, and I think he imagines Pat Shurmer as the next Mike Holmgren. I'll take that.

Zombo

Damn didnt know his uncle passed while trying to move on to Seattle with Holmgrem, Holmgrem probaly sees him like a brother and has sympathy for him for that effect..But no one can be certain how it will play out but i do like it with Holmgrem system him being down there with Holmgrem pulling the strings and Heckert bringing in the personal seems like a key to sucess if you ask me

Archived