THE BROWNS BOARD

Colt Organizes Workouts In Atx With Teammates

SJ_Browns

Cleveland Browns quarterback Colt McCoy will organize workouts for his offensive teammates this week in Austin, Texas, The Plain Dealer reported Thursday.

McCoy grew up in Texas and starred at the University of Texas in Austin from 2006 to 2009.

The newspaper's source said Browns wide receivers Josh Cribbs, Mohamed Massaquoi, Brian Robiski, Carlton Mitchell and Jordan Norwood were among those headed to Texas. Running back Peyton Hillis also planned to attend.

"I think it's great," Browns general manager Tom Heckert told the newspaper about the workouts. "If they do it, great. If they don't do it, I don't think it's a big deal. They'll be ready when it's time to go."

Massaquoi wrote Wednesday night on his Twitter account that he was "Finally packed and ready for Autin, Tx." Cribbs wrote Wednesday night that he was packing for Texas and posted Thursday morning that he was on his way.

Players and coaches haven't been permitted to have any contact since league owners imposed a lockout March 12. According to The Plain Dealer, McCoy was given a copy of new coach Pat Shurmur's playbook before the lockout began.

I think one of the biggest things that could help is Colt convincing Wallace to go to help everyone learn the WCO.

good point. that would be a good move by him. i hope some of the other guys get involved in this to. nice job, colt!

nice to see colt stepping up. we'll see how it works out when/if the season starts. every year im pumped to see the season start, now more than ever.

i'm really excited to see how this all pans out. it's great to have a front office on the same page. we'll get to see how it all starts next thursday. CAN'T WAIT!

@JoshCribbs16

Josh Cribbs

In Austin ready 2 put some work in, @ColtMcCoy picked us all up in a tractor with a hitch on the back, but that's kool we making it work lol

1 hour ago via TweetDeck

reminds me of the drive your tractor to school days at school.

anyway good to see them having fun and since they have the playbook it will give a huge leg up. hopefully they do this again after the draft to get the rookies in on it all.

This is the difference between good and great teams, players that get to know each other in and out...Those little seconds in the game when you trust the other player to be on the same page as you is the biggest thing you can have...

Even if there where no lockout id say every team should do this if they wanna win the superbowl but this is great for the Browns and ecspically Colt McCoy...He will be a good NFL football QB and make all those other teams look like fools for passing on him

There's somedthing about them bonding.together over the new playbook without the coaching staff around that I think will make this offense cohesive.

I haven't cared for a qb this much since Kosar, I sure hope Colt is THE guy.

Zombo

That is class ! When the players love the GAME, and have character, you have the op to do this kind of stuff. Really nice job of all the guys that go...

Glad to see Mitchell is going too. Hopefully this will help him out and get him to be part of the team. Colt is showing what leadership is supposed to be and it's great to see at a young age. I feel that Colt plays above his talent level (even though he is really talented) because of his love for the game and his drive. I have a feeling the Colt will be around here a long time.

Glad to see Mitchell is going too. Hopefully this will help him out and get him to be part of the team. Colt is showing what leadership is supposed to be and it's great to see at a young age. I feel that Colt plays above his talent level (even though he is really talented) because of his love for the game and his drive. I have a feeling the Colt will be around here a long time.

I'm happy to see Norwood coming. The kid only got off the practice squad for the last few games and is now trying to make the best of his position. I would assume Windsor would be there if he wasn't tearing up the AFL in Arizona right now. Apparently he had a 250 yard 5 TD game last week.

Absolutely. I wonder which of them is in culture shock being in Austin and saying WTF. LOL :unsure:

austin is a pretty hip place. it isn't crackerville like most of texas.

i think that what colt is doing is incredible and signals to me that he is assuming the role of leader of the team. exciting things are happening in brownsland. let's just hope that it produces at the very least a .500 season in 2011.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81f6798c/article/mccoy-winning-over-browns-teammates-by-leading-from-front

This offseason could serve as a referendum on the hold that several young quarterbacks have over their respective teams.

Safe to say, Colt McCoy has passed the test.

Over the last month, McCoy has been the point man in organizing and planning to bring Cleveland Browns wide receivers, running backs and tight ends to Austin, Texas, for a three-day minicamp. That camp kicked off Thursday, with McCoy having secured lodging for his teammates and practice fields for them to run football-specific drills.

"I'm really excited to see the guys, that camaraderie is key, especially with Colt," Browns receiver/kick returner Josh Cribbs said after arriving in Texas. "He realizes if he's going to be the leader, it starts now. It's kind of a backyard thing, it has that feel to it, going to be out there like the 'Little Giants.' We don't even have a playbook. But we have our heads together, and we know it's important for us to meet as an offense."

Indeed, new coach Pat Shurmur hasn't been able to hand out playbooks, much less run any type of installation sessions with his new players.

To fill in the blanks, Cribbs said that he and his teammates have dug up film of last year's St. Louis Rams, for whom Shurmur was offensive coordinator, and come up with a makeshift version of the playbook to go through during field drills in Austin.

"We have to watch TV copies of St. Louis, mimic their routes, the structure of their offense," Cribbs said. "The idea is for it to be just like a practice day: Warm up, stretch, lift weights, and run first, then throw together as a group. ... We're doing bag drills, cone drills, and then we start throwing.

"I'm sure they're going to change (the offense) to fit the key guys on our team and, right now, it's not that important that we run specific routes, it's more important we run routes period. But you've been out of football for so long, you want to get back in the groove, and this is part of getting into it."

Up until now, Cribbs has been splitting time working out in Cleveland and at API in Los Angeles, and he's like everyone else -- waiting for the labor situation to be resolved. But in the meantime, he does understand the opportunity that's here for a young team to get an edge on its opponents. Cribbs says that after McCoy proved himself as "a gamer" last fall, and after seeing the leadership he has displayed the last month, he has "won us over."

What's happening in this locked-out April has Cribbs as excited for September as can be.

"Starting early is key," Cribbs said. "We don't know how long this (lockout) is going to be, but we've already scheduled our next (camp), and we plan to get together a lot of times and do what we need to do. When I first met Coach Shurmur, I told him, 'I just want to win.' And he looked at me and said, 'Me, too.' What we're doing now is going to help."

so do they have a playbook or is cribbs just saying that? hope they have one to get an even bigger advantage going into the season.

either way its good they are doing a mini camp. the timing will be big when the season starts. and the routes will be similar, probably, to what was run in St.Louis

so do they have a playbook or is cribbs just saying that? hope they have one to get an even bigger advantage going into the season.

either way its good they are doing a mini camp. the timing will be big when the season starts. and the routes will be similar, probably, to what was run in St.Louis

Hardly matters now. In at most two days the judge is going to deny the Owners appeal, which will officially open FA and trades and allow all camps to happen. The soonest they will be locked out again is if the owners get the ruling they want that says the NFLPA is still running like a Union, which makes this ruling that the lockout is illegal void and restarts the lockout and that shouldn't be for at least 4 weeks. Unless I am getting this all wrong, which I could be because this is all confusing.

I actually think your Right Hillis iz bozz that about 3 weeks after the draft we will see the NFLPA win the Legal battle and F/A will hit,this is a big plus for the Browns that will make us not have to reach for a player of Need rather taking BPA and then getting some guys in the F/A afterwards to fill some holes

right now i can see the front offices having runners do the talking or leaving notes all covertly, while not technically contacting FAs so we will probably see rookies at the camps. which i think colt woulda probably got them down there at some point for the offensive guys atleast.

Rookies will not be at camp unless the lockout is lifted, which I hope it actually is. This is because during the lockout they wouldn't have gotten insurance from the teams if they got injured while at none team sanctions camps, which would be the Texas and Kent camps.

Well, FYI, the lockout was lifted by court order. The question is whether or not the League will abide by it full bore or whether it will do whatever minimal is required to comply with the court order.

Well, FYI, the lockout was lifted by court order. The question is whether or not the League will abide by it full bore or whether it will do whatever minimal is required to comply with the court order.

FYI I know that the lock out has been lifted, that is why I said "which I hope it actually is" because as we have seen today, players were allowed to come in, but they were not allowed to do anything or meet with anyone. The owners have to decide how things are going to run with no CBA, which will take time, and they are going to fight the courts in every spot they can before they even admit that the lockout is over. If they can say right now that players can not workout or talk to coaches at team facilities, then after the draft they can continue to do the same thing until they get ruling on whether or not the NFLPA is still running as a Union. If that is the case and they do not allow teams to hold camps, then any private camp ran by a player that a rookie goes to, he won't have insurance for. Without insurance no draft picks will be doing any kind of team activities.

This shit is one big mess, i heard Ryan Clark on ESPN today saying he spoke to Mike Tomlin why he was at the facility...So does that mean Shurmur could talk to McCoy Etc..??

But it also said that all Tomlin said was that he wasn't allowed to work out. I think the Browns are just trying to be careful at the moment since they already got fined earlier this year.

At the same time they are saying 3 Giants players were not only allowed to work out in the weight room, but they talked to all of their coached about next season.

i wonder if other teams will follow suit and do likewise?

You can tell Holmgren wants to have all the doors open and have everyone in the building getting work done. As soon as he heard the lockout was lifted he said that it was great news and he was happy, but then they get stuck telling players no. I feel like since they already got fined, that they are scared if they get into trouble again that they could lose a draft pick next year. At the same time I could see them having the doors open today and have the players talking to coaches and working out.

Archived