THE BROWNS BOARD

Terrelle Pryor Exiting Osu Amid Scandal

Terrelle Pryor exiting OSU amid scandal

The Ohio State quarterback announced through his attorney on Tuesday that he would not play for the Buckeyes this season.

"In the best interests of my teammates, I've made the decision to forgo my senior year of football at The Ohio State University," Pryor said in a statement issued by Columbus lawyer Larry James.

James said entering the next NFL supplemental draft is Pryor's "desire." But James acknowledged labor uncertainty could lead to consideration of the Canadian Football League or working with a personal quarterback coach first.

James said Pryor told him of the decision within the hour and that Pryor said it was "in the best interest of my teammates."

The Cleveland Plain Dealer first reported Pryor's announcement.

Pryor had already been suspended for the first five games of the 2011 season for accepting improper benefits from a Columbus tattoo-parlor owner. The NCAA is looking into all aspects of Ohio State's once-glittering program, from cash and tattoos to players, cars and other potential violations.

Pryor's announcement comes just eight days after Buckeyes coach Jim Tressel was forced to resign for knowing about the players' improper benefits.

"He did not want to be a a distraction to his teammates," James said. "This is something he came to consider after much thought."

Ohio State's athletic director, Gene Smith, quickly issued a statement wishing Pryor the best.

"We understand Terrelle's decision and wish him well in this next phase of his life," Smith said. "We hope he returns to The Ohio State University one day to finish his degree."

Luke Fickell, who will serve as Ohio State's interim head coach in place of Tressel this fall, found out about Pryor's decision on Tuesday night.

"I was notified this evening that Terrelle has decided to pursue a professional career," Fickell said. "I wish him the best in his pursuits."

Pryor's high school coach Ray Reitz said his former quarterback's move would be "probably best for everybody."

"Terrelle can get out of the spotlight and just play football," he said. "The sad part is, as a player, he was tremendous. It's just that all this will be a part of his legacy. It's a shame. I hope he gets a shot at quarterback in the NFL so he can prove people wrong. I think NFL teams want to win so I don't think they'll hold this too much against him."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6636768

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't merge anything, Im not a MOD. But if thats what they wanna do thats fine by me.

Anyway, would you take a flyer on him with a 4th, 5th round pick maybe try converting him to receiver?

This Buckeye fan thinks it was time for Pryor to move on. He saw the writing on the wall anyway- odds on the NCAA was going to increase the suspension to a full year.

You didn't see the quarterback coach in the press blurb? The guy thinks he can make it in the NFL as a qb. Forgot which ESPN talent scout said it, but Pryor has no shot at qb in the NFL. At least not now. His release is slower than molasses, and he's not all that accurate. Yup, WR is his niche in the pros.

And hell no I don't want this kid anywhere near the Browns. Immature goober with entitlement issues. And there's a legion of OSU fans in Cleveland that are going to hold it against Pryor for getting Tressell canned, he'd be about a 1\2 step more popular than LeBron.

Isn't there still a Supplemental Draft?

Setting aside the fact that we got one of our best players ever in the supplemental draft, i don't really understand why the NFL does it.

The Supplemental draft is [to be determined] in the new labor contract, if it ever happens. It will be interesting how many rounds teams will pass on him before they take the aforementioned flyer. Certainly not a first, and probably not a second. When a team takes a player in the supplemental draft they forfeit the pick in the April draft that they took the player in.

The Supplemental draft is [to be determined] in the new labor contract, if it ever happens. It will be interesting how many rounds teams will pass on him before they take the aforementioned flyer. Certainly not a first, and probably not a second. When a team takes a player in the supplemental draft they forfeit the pick in the April draft that they took the player in.

There is going to be a sup draft regardless of whether or not there is a new CBA, the NFL has already pointed it out. I think it is going to happen either June 21st or some time in July. I don't like the guy, having said that this could be the thing that makes him straighten his shit out and I would spend a 5th or 6th rounder to grab him and convert him to a different position other than QB.

Big deal he sold memorabilia or accepted loner cars or whatever else, he's not the first athlete to do that. Yes he's immature, that doesn't make him a bad person. He does't have a felony record like our 2nd round pick this year, he didn't kill anybody like Dante Stallworth did. He's a kid, he deserves a chance to right his path. He didn't get Tressel fired, Tressel got Tressel fired. How could you not wanna give one of the most talented athlete's in college football a shot, and only risk a 5th round pick? Teams have risked alot more for alot less

Only a matter of time until the suckeyes fans want the Browns to pick him up...

I preface my remarks by again reminding all y'all that I am an Akron U Alumni....and I will say this: he would probably be better at QB than Charlie Frye. That ship sailed long ago.

Now that Pryor is bound to turn pro, the only discussion relevent to him is: What kind of a Pro QB would he make?

To me, he has about the same skill set as Cameron Newton, who went first overall in the draft.

I believe that was a reach for him personally. Both he and Pryor to me are probably going to show to be 3rd 4th round talent. They will be able to run a pro offense...for a while. They both have a lot in common with Vince Young. Yes, it is a stereotype because they are all three tall, rangy, and black.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Pryor do just as well as Newton, not that I think that either will blow the socks off the NFL. As for the Browns, the only question is whether or not Pryor could run a WCO type system. I guess if Donovan McNabb could do it successfully, why not Pryor (or any of the others I mentioned)

Colt McCoy's wife Rachel talking about Colt's teammates at Texas accepting gifts

People in Texas are just being friendly and they don't mean anything by it at all. They don't realize most of the time it is a violation. Texas is very clear with their players ... You cannot expect 19- to 20-year-old men to not accept free stuff while they're in college ... There's no way that college kids can really, honestly say no to all this stuff ... It's hard for a lot of these guys to even know ... I saw so many of his teammates who maybe didn't have some of that self-control to be able to say no to somebody. It's hard because you've got adults who you respect who you think will know what's right and what's wrong ...

Is Texas being investigated now, or are they just targeting OSU? If his wife has seen this, then surely Mack Brown has to be aware of it.

This Buckeye fan thinks it was time for Pryor to move on. He saw the writing on the wall anyway- odds on the NCAA was going to increase the suspension to a full year.

You didn't see the quarterback coach in the press blurb? The guy thinks he can make it in the NFL as a qb. Forgot which ESPN talent scout said it, but Pryor has no shot at qb in the NFL. At least not now. His release is slower than molasses, and he's not all that accurate. Yup, WR is his niche in the pros.

And hell no I don't want this kid anywhere near the Browns. Immature goober with entitlement issues. And there's a legion of OSU fans in Cleveland that are going to hold it against Pryor for getting Tressell canned, he'd be about a 1\2 step more popular than LeBron.

Well, the point of being a professional is that you are PAID to play, so the "entitlement issues" are irrelevent.

I disagree that he has no shot at QB in the NFL. Like I said, his skill set is not so different from the Newton's and the Vince Youngs. I also believe his accuracy was just fine for a college player. Whether it translates to the pros only remains to be seen. Colt McCoy was the completion percentage leader of the NCAA for two years, yet lots of people are still concerned about his "accuracy" as a pro QB.

I do agree though that Cleveland is not the best place for him. Cincinnati shouldn't be either....but oddly, they could use a QB perhaps like Pryor. Let him go to the Bengals. But I do think for his sake, going out of Ohio would be best for him. Maybe the Raiders can take him. He can do no worse than Jamarcus Russell.

Here is the bottom line: ALL these big time programs probably cheat as much or more than OSU did in terms of giving cash, cars to their players.

That 180K cash payment that was proposed to be paid to Cam Newton's family was simply the going market rate for an SEC QB prospect.

Only a matter of time until the suckeyes fans want the Browns to pick him up...

You need to remember the only way to become a Suckeye is to have been a Buckeye and then go play for the Steelers.

Otherwise dont be a Charlie FrenchCry fan.

Isn't it funny how nobody ever went after Pete Carroll? They didn't say Jack Shit about his follies.

Pete Carroll Caught Lying About NCAA Violations, Hurting Trogans' "Appeal"

Former USC football coach Pete Carroll shows his game face in denouncing the NCAA's penalties against the school, contending they are too harsh because he and other administrators never knew that star athletes such as Reggie Bush had violated the rules.

But Carroll has been shy about mentioning that the NCAA found his quiet hiring of an extra coach, a big name from the NFL, was a major violation. The association also said that Carroll did not clear the hire with USC's compliance office, a finding that contradicts what he told The Times last year.

Now, as USC presses an appeal of the heavy sanctions the association imposed, Carroll's culpability could diminish the school's prospects of persuading the NCAA to ease the punishment, experts say.

"That's going to hurt USC on its appeal," said Michael Buckner, a Florida attorney and Trojan alumnus who specializes in sports law. "There are major rule violations found against not only his student athletes but against his coaching staff and a decision he made."

Cheat-Forever.jpg

Big deal he sold memorabilia or accepted loner cars or whatever else, he's not the first athlete to do that. Yes he's immature, that doesn't make him a bad person.

wha wha WHAT??? in my book it does. if you know something is wrong and you do it anyways, does that make you a good person?

f**k that scumbag. go play in the cfl and stay there.

wha wha WHAT??? in my book it does. if you know something is wrong and you do it anyways, does that make you a good person?

The question I believe is: Is it wrong? It may be against the NCAA regulations, but does that make it per se "wrong"?

Besides, more than likely if he doesn't go to the NFL this year he could end up playing in the UFL...which might actually be good for him as it should be a sort of "developmental" league.

I've done drugs, drank before I was 21, cheated on tests, stole, lied, whatever. I think I've grown up and consider myself a great person, I was immature. It happens to all of us, If I was in his situation I probably would've thought I could've got away with it to. He's had to pay a heavy price and will have to look back on that forever, there's no reason for you or me to crucify him for that.

I love how everyone here acts like they're saints and have never done something wrong. Not just here but on the internet in general. Everyone is perfect and above judgment. Except their own. Their own judgment gets dropped on EVERYONE and ANYTHING they can think of.

Give me a xxxxing break miktoxic.

Sorry, I agree with Miktoxic. :D

So you took the time to write f**k even though there is already a profanity filter. So, you knowingly bipassed a RULE in order to do something you wanted and say a swear word?

I think you should be banned to a stooler forum for awhile. And stay there.

wow! guess i found your button easy enough and pressed it.

i never said i was perfect or had never done anything wrong. BUT I WASN'T THE QB FOR ONE OF THE BIGGEST COLLEGE FOOTBALL PROGRAMS IN THE COUNTRY!!! I DIDN'T HAVE THE NATIONAL MEDIA SNIFFING AROUND FOR ME TO SLIP UP!! can you see the difference?

man i hope your wife never back talks you. geez, have a drink or something.

i never said i was perfect or had never done anything wrong. BUT I WASN'T THE QB FOR ONE OF THE BIGGEST COLLEGE FOOTBALL PROGRAMS IN THE COUNTRY!!! I DIDN'T HAVE THE NATIONAL MEDIA SNIFFING AROUND FOR ME TO SLIP UP!! can you see the difference?

That doesn't make him anymore mature at that age than you or I.

Jim Tressel lied to the NCAA, does that make him a bad person? I think not

That doesn't make him anymore mature at that age than you or I.

Jim Tressel lied to the NCAA, does that make him a bad person? I think not

i get it. he's a kid. but like i said BIGGEST FOOTBALL PROGRAM etc. they had this classes on what not to do and it was drilled into them, and what, leave class and get into your brand new loaner car?

AND i think those examples you gave are two different situations. one was try to protect the other and his football program and has had a history of doing good by the community and it's young people. the other was out for personal gain from the beginning, when if only he (and others) had waited a couple of years they could have had it legitimately..... or at least a degree.

From jump street i felt this kid was bad news. What the helll was tressel thinking covering up for this shit bird? Tressel owned columbus at one point amd sadly

has ruined a financial jackpot while destroying a reputation earned after decades of effort in the college coaching ranks. Will leave a bad taste for Buck fans

for years to come if not forever.

Espn reports The Rough Riders of cfl have put a claim on Pryor. Happy canuck trails.

I didn't merge anything, Im not a MOD. But if thats what they wanna do thats fine by me.

Anyway, would you take a flyer on him with a 4th, 5th round pick maybe try converting him to receiver?

He wouldn't last that long the the supplemnetal or regular draft. He is the type of player that Bellichick would take way before that. He would be a value pick after the 3rd round, and probably wouldn't last that long. The right organization could coach him up at TE (Sterling Sharpe type athlete) and could be hard to defend in the occasional wild cat offense.

i'm not a Pryor fan, but that's the way i see it.

All this OSU crap makes me respect Coach Kehres at Mount Union more than ever.

i get it. he's a kid. but like i said BIGGEST FOOTBALL PROGRAM etc. they had this classes on what not to do and it was drilled into them, and what, leave class and get into your brand new loaner car?

AND i think those examples you gave are two different situations. one was try to protect the other and his football program and has had a history of doing good by the community and it's young people. the other was out for personal gain from the beginning, when if only he (and others) had waited a couple of years they could have had it legitimately..... or at least a degree.

Lest you all forget, Pryor wasn't the only one caught. There were at least 4 others caught doing the same thing....and probably many others that weren't caught. And like I said elsewhere...I think OSU is still probably actually one of the cleaner programs in the land.

If the truth were known I would suspect that just about every single SEC and Big 12 player has probably pocketed at least 50K in one form or another. And yes, it is simply a matter of not getting caught. I can tell you right here right now that I could probably have been given a speeding ticket every day for the last 10 years....but I have not actually gotten a speeding ticket in those 10 years. So, I haven't been caught. That doesn't mean I didn't speed. All those SEC players haven't been caught, that doesn't mean they didn't speed, metaphorically..

I think OSU is still probably actually one of the cleaner programs in the land.

Not to be a dick, but on what basis? They just got freaking busted and you're saying they are one of the cleaner programs? Please explain... and don't forget to pass around whatever you're smoking.

Archived