THE BROWNS BOARD

Luck, Kalil, & Claiborne Are Gone... Is Rgiii Your Pick?

Cobra Kai

Luck, Kalil, & Claiborne are gone... Is RGIII your pick?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Luck, Kalil, & Claiborne are gone... Is RGIII your pick?

• Yes. I pick RGIII, and I don't look back.
    • No. Instead, I would... (pick _____; trade down; etc.)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

draft the best player available if he can fill a hole that needs to be filled or draft down.

we drafted a qb 2 years ago and no matter what anyone says he is serviceable until the rest of the team is built. hell he might even be decent if given some protection, a running game and a top notch receiver who doesn't drop the ball.

if we drafted nothing but defense next year (i know we won't) we might have the best in our division overnite.

I would trade with Washington. They get the 4 spot for RG3 we ask for their pick at 6, Rex Grossman and their 2nd round or 3rd round pick. With the pick at 6 we take Blackmon or the WR from ND. One of them will definately still be on the board. We also select Kase Keenum, Russell Wilson, or Jones later in the draft. We let all four QBs show us what they have in camp. One of them is bound to impress us. Worst case McCoy is cut, Grossman is our QB for a year and then the young guy takes over. Wallace still stays at #2. With or 2nd pick in the first round I take a DE or LB if there is a great one on the board. Sheard is AMAZING and needs some help so he can really break out next year.

Then with early 2 second round picks we have flexibility and can go RB, DE, CB, whatever the best available players left are.

I really feel this team needs another early to mid second round pick to fill more holes, but cannot afford to NOT get a game changer with their first pick in the 1st round.

I cant believe people are really saying landry jones?? He looks terrible to me has some of the worst happy feet ive seen in a QB

Agreed. I have a thing about just hating Spead QB's because most seem to never work out (and I'm only liking RGIII because I've watched about half his games this season and think he could still be good out of the spread) but Jones just straight sucks. He isn't better than Bradford and Bradford hasn't done anything so far but be mediocre.

Also the reason I do like us being at #4 and being able to take RGIII is because it puts us into a spot where even if we don't like him, one of the teams from 6-10 do and will trade up for him with us. Colt will take Luck or trade away. Rams will want either the OT from USC, Blackmon, or Mathieu and the same goes for the Vikings. If either team trades out of that spot they will lose all three. That means teams wanting a crack at RGIII have to deal with us. So even if we don't want him we could trade back a few spots, still get better value cause teams are going to be trying to outbid each other, and still be in a position to grab a play maker. But if we take RGIII I'm fine with that... or if we take Blackmon.

draft the best player available if he can fill a hole that needs to be filled or draft down.

we drafted a qb 2 years ago and no matter what anyone says he is serviceable until the rest of the team is built. hell he might even be decent if given some protection, a running game and a top notch receiver who doesn't drop the ball.

if we drafted nothing but defense next year (i know we won't) we might have the best in our division overnite.

We finished 10th in overall defense, while finishing 30th in offensive points, (13.6 pts/gm,)... and our top priority should be... defense? :huh:

Compare that with the two worst, bottom of the barrel defenses in the 2011 NFL regular season...

31.) New England Patriots

32.) Green Bay Packers

This isn't 1950, where 75% of the offensive playbook is fullback runs up the middle and a clothesline from the defense. For better or worse, NFL rules are geared toward maximum offense and points, now. Specifically, pass offense.

Rule #1 in Drafting 101: You do not pass on a franchise QB, if you do not have a franchise QB.

Rule #2: Even if you do have a franchise QB, you still consider drafting a franchise QB, (See: New England Patriots, Ryan Mallett.)

If we trade down, we will not get a superstar. Then, we will continue to have the same crappy team. You guys are clueless

You still can if you stay in the top 10. It wouldn't be like last year when they traded out to the mid 20's. The Browns could easily trade back to 6 and still have a shot at Blackmon if he is there when we pick at 4 and the Browns also have a real chance to trade back anywhere in the top 10 and select Richardson.

Blackmon. If you think the browns will take a qb with their 4 pick ur an idiot

Depends on what the top guys think. Blackmon is just as much or a sure thing as RGIII would be a QB. No one knows yet and no one knows what our FO is going to think of all the different players. They could just as easily take RGIII and then Wright later in the first.

I cant believe people are really saying landry jones?? He looks terrible to me has some of the worst happy feet ive seen in a QB

I don't like Landry Jones that much either, but I would take him over RG3. I think he'll be a better pro under center. He has all the tools, just needs to fine tune them. When your playing in a shotgun offense its easy to get happy feet while your standing back there waiting for someone to get open. If he's under center taking 3,5 and 7 step drops that will eliminate alot of that. As will more experience.

"As luck would have it", fortunately for Andrew, he's not condemned to the fate that is being a first-round QB draft pick for them stains.

Nothing spells career hell than being a contending prospect drafted high by Cleveland.

Yinz wrecked the career of Tim Couch, Brady Queen and fortunately for Luck, he'll land with a franchise (likely Indy) that will maximize his potential.

Head coaches are in the same boat which is probably why the stains look the other way when performing background checks on coaching prospects.

Regards...

... an'at

amen, cleveland is where football goes to die a slow horrible death.

oh, and PLEASE DEAR LORD PLEASE take RG3!!!! biggest bust since jamarcus russel.

We finished 10th in overall defense, while finishing 30th in offensive points, (13.6 pts/gm,)... and our top priority should be... defense? :huh:

Compare that with the two worst, bottom of the barrel defenses in the 2011 NFL regular season...

32.) Green Bay Packers

This isn't 1950, where 75% of the offensive playbook is fullback runs up the middle and a clothesline from the defense. For better or worse, NFL rules are geared toward maximum offense and points, now. Specifically, pass offense.

Rule #1 in Drafting 101: You do not pass on a franchise QB, if you do not have a franchise QB.

Rule #2: Even if you do have a franchise QB, you still consider drafting a franchise QB, (See: New England Patriots, Ryan Mallett.)

i'm not saying we should draft defense, i was just saying it meaning we are only 2 or 3 guys away from being dominate on that side of the ball. hell i know we need ALL kinds of help on offense BUT i don't think there is ever a sure thing franchise QB. why not fill some other major holes and keep our qb package we have now, seeing whether or not a couple of more weapons could make the difference in mccoy's play. if not, draft one in 2013.

it's not like we're going on a super bowl run next year.

i'm not saying we should draft defense, i was just saying it meaning we are only 2 or 3 guys away from being dominate on that side of the ball. hell i know we need ALL kinds of help on offense BUT i don't think there is ever a sure thing franchise QB. why not fill some other major holes and keep our qb package we have now, seeing whether or not a couple of more weapons could make the difference in mccoy's play. if not, draft one in 2013.

it's not like we're going on a super bowl run next year.

This was 3rd round draft pick Colt McCoy's tryout year. This was it.

FAIL.

We can't sit around with a #4 draft pick selection, pass on an obscenely talented franchise QB talent like RG3, with fingers crossed, hoping our 3rd round shitty QB miraculously becomes kind of okay, someday... hopefully... maybe... so long as every other offensive player around him is All-Pro.

Your evaluation of Colt McCoy's abilities is clouded by your emotional attachment to him, simply because he's the quarterback of the Browns.

In other words, (like I said before,) if McCoy was the starting QB for Indy, St. Louis, or Minnesota... EVERY one of us would be assuming that each of those teams would be dying to get Luck or RG3.

Get rid of the emotional attachment to a below average Browns player, and you'll see why we need a TRUE franchise QB, instead of this inadequate, failed 3rd round experiment.

I don't like Landry Jones that much either, but I would take him over RG3. I think he'll be a better pro under center. He has all the tools, just needs to fine tune them. When your playing in a shotgun offense its easy to get happy feet while your standing back there waiting for someone to get open. If he's under center taking 3,5 and 7 step drops that will eliminate alot of that. As will more experience.

Landry Jones would be smart to stay in school another year. He was bad this yr. You like Landry Jones better why exactly doesn't Oklahoma run the spread too? If so you actually think Jones performed better than RG3? No way, RG3 is accurate, has a cannon, is mobile, dude is smart he had already graduated, he has things to work on and will be put through the paces this off season. If FO determine McCoy isn't the guy be prepared for us to take RG3 in he falls to us at 4.

I would trade with Washington. They get the 4 spot for RG3 we ask for their pick at 6, Rex Grossman and their 2nd round or 3rd round pick. With the pick at 6 we take Blackmon or the WR from ND. One of them will definately still be on the board. We also select Kase Keenum, Russell Wilson, or Jones later in the draft. We let all four QBs show us what they have in camp. One of them is bound to impress us. Worst case McCoy is cut, Grossman is our QB for a year and then the young guy takes over. Wallace still stays at #2. With or 2nd pick in the first round I take a DE or LB if there is a great one on the board. Sheard is AMAZING and needs some help so he can really break out next year.

Then with early 2 second round picks we have flexibility and can go RB, DE, CB, whatever the best available players left are.

I really feel this team needs another early to mid second round pick to fill more holes, but cannot afford to NOT get a game changer with their first pick in the 1st round.

Rex Grossman?! Are you kidding me?! You can hate on Colt all you want, but Rex freaking Grossman? I can understand trading down but no way in hell we include Grossman in the trade..

32.) Green Bay Packers

First of all, the Patriots and Packers do not have the worst defenses in the league. Sure they have allowed the most yards, but that isn't the only statistic you should look at. The Patriots are 15th in points allowed and the Packers are 19 in points allowed (still not great but far from the worst). The most telling statistic is that Green Bay is 2nd in turnovers with a +22 differential and New England is 3rd in takeaways with a +14 differential. The Packers and Patriots give up lots of yards, but make up for it by forcing turnovers.

Now about your comments on franchis QBs. There is no rule about franchise QBs because selecting a QB is such a crapshoot. No one really knows who will be any good. If you are a GM and think a QB is franchise material, then you most likely take him. But you are acting like RG3 and Luck are already HOFers before playing a down in the NFL.

And finally, the Patriots selected Ryan Mallet in the 3rd round - the same round in which Colt McCoy was selected. So you really don't have a good argument there..

Landry Jones would be smart to stay in school another year. He was bad this yr. You like Landry Jones better why exactly doesn't Oklahoma run the spread too? If so you actually think Jones performed better than RG3? No way, RG3 is accurate, has a cannon, is mobile, dude is smart he had already graduated, he has things to work on and will be put through the paces this off season. If FO determine McCoy isn't the guy be prepared for us to take RG3 in he falls to us at 4.

You kinda missed my point. Yes they both run a spread, and yes RG3 obviously performed better. But my point is I feel Jones is better suited for the pro game under center. He's a classic big armed, tall, pocket passer. He doesn't fit the spread offense the way its run in college. QB's that excel in college by making plays with there feet rarely succeed in the NFL. Whether they have a big arm or not. They either get hurt, or cant read defenses because they didn't have to in college..ex Mike Vick. Thats just my opinion, I've been wrong before and if we draft him I'll get behind him and hope he breaks the trend. But I'd rather not take that risk with that high of a pick.

First of all, the Patriots and Packers do not have the worst defenses in the league. Sure they have allowed the most yards, but that isn't the only statistic you should look at. The Patriots are 15th in points allowed and the Packers are 19 in points allowed (still not great but far from the worst). The most telling statistic is that Green Bay is 2nd in turnovers with a +22 differential and New England is 3rd in takeaways with a +14 differential. The Packers and Patriots give up lots of yards, but make up for it by forcing turnovers.

Now about your comments on franchis QBs. There is no rule about franchise QBs because selecting a QB is such a crapshoot. No one really knows who will be any good. If you are a GM and think a QB is franchise material, then you most likely take him. But you are acting like RG3 and Luck are already HOFers before playing a down in the NFL.

And finally, the Patriots selected Ryan Mallet in the 3rd round - the same round in which Colt McCoy was selected. So you really don't have a good argument there..

And... finally... Colt McCoy showed himself to be nothing better than a failed, year after year backup QB, named Seneca Wallace.

Open your listening ears... (or "seeing eyes," as it were...)

You do not pass on a franchise QB, when your current QB is playing far below average. Your argument is ridiculous.

You have a mad, lingering man-crush on Colt McCoy, that began a year or two ago. It's time to let him go.

READ THIS AGAIN... Please! (Open your ability to understand, instead of just wanting to win an argument with me, okay?)------

--- If McCoy was the starting QB of the Colts... or the Rams... or the Vikings....... we would ALL be assuming those three teams would be trying to land Luck or RG3.

NOBODY wants McCoy as a starting QB........ He... SUCKS. Time to say bye-bye.

I wouldn't say that Colt sucks...I would say that i'm not convinced that he's a starting QB in the NFL and if a #1 draft pick (#4 overall) is available in the draft I think we have to take him. I think Colt is going to have a very long career in the NFL as a backup because he works hard and is a likable kid and will probably win a lot of games as a back up QB.

I don't know if RGIII is the guy for this team/offense/system. I don't think it's worth trading up for Luck because of what we would give up.

How about Russel Wilson from Wisconsin? He is atheletic and looked very good in the rose bowl. He had great anticipation and a decent arm. He's small but already plays in a pro style offense with NFL sized linemen. He does benefit from a great run game but he made some really nice throws and runs tonight.

And I'm not saying use a first round pick on him. Just discussing qb options. Id take him over Landry.

You kinda missed my point. Yes they both run a spread, and yes RG3 obviously performed better. But my point is I feel Jones is better suited for the pro game under center. He's a classic big armed, tall, pocket passer. He doesn't fit the spread offense the way its run in college. QB's that excel in college by making plays with there feet rarely succeed in the NFL. Whether they have a big arm or not. They either get hurt, or cant read defenses because they didn't have to in college..ex Mike Vick. Thats just my opinion, I've been wrong before and if we draft him I'll get behind him and hope he breaks the trend. But I'd rather not take that risk with that high of a pick.

Only difference is if you watch the way Griffin plays you see he never really wants to tuck the ball and run, he is a pocket passer before he is a scrambler..He rarely ever takes off unless he absoultely has to,as far as big arm he may have the biggest arm out of any QB in this draft,from watching tape i would say he has the quickest release out of all the other QBs even Luck....I do think he will be a good NFL QB and if the Browns take him i will be behind him just like i still am with McCoy, i can understand the thoughts he might bust but i would say he has just as good a chance of being an All Pro QB as Luck....

This is coming from someone who isnt high on drafting QBs and starting over but i feel that after the combine that this more than likely could be a mute point because Griffin wont be there with the 4th pick

This

Your evaluation of Colt McCoy's abilities is clouded by your emotional attachment to him, simply because he's the quarterback of the Browns.

In other words, (like I said before,) if McCoy was the starting QB for Indy, St. Louis, or Minnesota... EVERY one of us would be assuming that each of those teams would be dying to get Luck or RG3.

Get rid of the emotional attachment to a below average Browns player, and you'll see why we need a TRUE franchise QB, instead of this inadequate, failed 3rd round experiment.

i've got no emotional attachment to mccoy. i think he's undersized with a weak arm. but i wouldn't pick ANOTHER qb next year when we need LBs RT RB CB DE etc. etc. etc.

believe me, they'll be another list of qbs in 2013 that everybody will be slobering over. putting a qb picked at number 4 w/o addressing other issues will only get the kid killed while we'll have wasted the chance to impact the team with another pick. besides mccoy is not the reason we sucked this year. yeah he's part of the reason but how about a receiver that doesn't drop a ball thrown into his hands or a running back that can break through the line and outrun everyone for 65 yards.

i don't think anyone arguing this point either way is wrong. heckert has done a good job in the draft the last couple of years and this will be one of hundreds of posts with the same topic til next april.

let's just hope we don't do another courtney brown.

Archived