THE BROWNS BOARD

Luck, Kalil, & Claiborne Are Gone... Is Rgiii Your Pick?

Cobra Kai

Luck, Kalil, & Claiborne are gone... Is RGIII your pick?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Luck, Kalil, & Claiborne are gone... Is RGIII your pick?

• Yes. I pick RGIII, and I don't look back.
    • No. Instead, I would... (pick _____; trade down; etc.)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay heres a Landry Jones stat for you his last four games he has 6 ints and 1 touchdown...

For sure that's something you have to look at. Like I said previously, I'd still have to watch a few more games of him to feel comfortable taking him that high. But in the game I did watch, he did what he needed to do. I don't know what the situation was in other games were he played poorly. I know he's working with alot of extremely young receivers and his star receiver has been out most of the season. Maybe he's trying to do to much. But I know he can read defenses and go through his progressions, thats more than what Baylor is asking RG3 to do.

For sure that's something you have to look at. Like I said previously, I'd still have to watch a few more games of him to feel comfortable taking him that high. But in the game I did watch, he did what he needed to do. I don't know what the situation was in other games were he played poorly. I know he's working with alot of extremely young receivers and his star receiver has been out most of the season. Maybe he's trying to do to much. But I know he can read defenses and go through his progressions, thats more than what Baylor is asking RG3 to do.

Well then watch the other games where he actually played against a defense that was better than 100th in the country.

Well then watch the other games where he actually played against a defense that was better than 100th in the country.

Anybody can say that. Few teams play good defense anymore. Who will have a better pro career. Kirk Cousins,Landry Jones or RGIII. RGIII is hype right now. Hopefully somebody buys into it.

Anybody can say that. Few teams play good defense anymore. Who will have a better pro career. Kirk Cousins,Landry Jones or RGIII. RGIII is hype right now. Hopefully somebody buys into it.

I'm not saying it to be a dick. It's just Jones did play some decent defenses this year but he is looking at the game where he played against the worst team his team faced all season and using it as a reason why Jones is best. It makes no sense.

Well lets take a look whos out there you think Barkley??

Tyler Wilson? Tyler Bray?

I would not select anyone of these guys over Griffin.

Give me one Prospect you like better

Before the 2011 year no one would have even selected RG3 as a top 10 pick. He has played well and moved up the mock draft board. Bottom line is there is huge hype over quarterbacks every year and there are always a couple QBs that move up the boards. You cannot accurately compare Tyler Wilson, Tyler Bray, or any other college QB to RG3 of this year without having seen the 2012 college season. These college QBs have another year to prove themselves just like RG3 did this year..

Before the 2011 year no one would have even selected RG3 as a top 10 pick. He has played well and moved up the mock draft board. Bottom line is there is huge hype over quarterbacks every year and there are always a couple QBs that move up the boards. You cannot accurately compare Tyler Wilson, Tyler Bray, or any other college QB to RG3 of this year without having seen the 2012 college season. These college QBs have another year to prove themselves just like RG3 did this year..

Granted that is correct but RG3 was still known by people last year and was projected as at least a 2nd round pick...Im giving you the top guys in next years class and i tell you that they could do the same thing that he did this year..Say barkley wins a national title wins the heisman etc. i still think RG3 has a better skill set than Barkley and theres no guarnatee we pick again in the top 5 to have a shot at him...

Rule #1 in the NFL Draft

You never pass on a Franchise QB unless you have one

You never pass on a Franchise QB unless you have one

which actually isn't a rule, cause no one really knows who will be a franchise QB. you say RGiii is, i say he's not.

why is it many of you see raw talent in college and immediately assume said player will be a franchise guy. brady quinn too long ago for you? as it stands now, rgiii plays in a gimmick offense from the shotgun. drop, read your first target, take off if its not open.

what exactly about this kids game makes anyone think it translates to our WCO? can the kid even play under center? what happened when colt struggled taking snaps and dropping back? did shurmur modify the offense to help him?

i swear too many of you just see an athlete and assume he will be able to perform the same as he did against a defense ranked 100+ in the country. how is this line of thinking still even possible after years and years of failure to identify THE guy. if we just keep plugging in A guy, we'll never find THE guy.

we need football players....not athletes.

which actually isn't a rule, cause no one really knows who will be a franchise QB. you say RGiii is, i say he's not.

why is it many of you see raw talent in college and immediately assume said player will be a franchise guy. brady quinn too long ago for you? as it stands now, rgiii plays in a gimmick offense from the shotgun. drop, read your first target, take off if its not open.

what exactly about this kids game makes anyone think it translates to our WCO? can the kid even play under center? what happened when colt struggled taking snaps and dropping back? did shurmur modify the offense to help him?

i swear too many of you just see an athlete and assume he will be able to perform the same as he did against a defense ranked 100+ in the country. how is this line of thinking still even possible after years and years of failure to identify THE guy. if we just keep plugging in A guy, we'll never find THE guy.

we need football players....not athletes.

Look i dont think ethier of us work for scouting or as a GM, so id say let them do there jobs.If Heckert thinks hes worth the pick then i believe he is...Btw he will go in the top 5 there is just more than a Athlete,If he was they would ask him to be a WR and he would not be a top 5 pick...O btw way Newton also ran the spread offense and people said the same thing about him

Of the 24 quarterbacks taken in the first or second round of the draft since 2005, 11 ran a variation of the spread offense in college. Despite starting fewer games in the NFL than their non-spread counterparts, their career statistics are almost identical.

Recent QB History

Quarterbacks drafted in first or second round career numbers, since 2005.

Spread No Spread

Players 11 13

Starts 256 341

Career win pct. .518 .481

Playoff W-L 5-5 8-6

Comp pct. 59.6 59.0

TD-INT ratio 1.22 1.39

Passer rating 80.7 80.4

The 11 spread quarterbacks had a slightly higher passer rating in the NFL than the non-spread quarterbacks. They also had a higher completion percentage and winning percentage.

It is reasonable to believe the players who ran the spread in college would struggle in their first year in the league. Again, that is not the case. Of the quarterbacks drafted in the first two rounds since 2005, 11 of them took 150 or more snaps in their rookie seasons. Of those players, the spread quarterbacks started fewer games but had a higher completion percentage and TD-to-INT ratio.

I don't give a shit what offense anyone runs in college. Talent is talent.

What's bothersome to me is that RG3 relied on his speed heavily, and in the NFL he's not going to have the same amount of success in doing that. He's still lightning fast, but so are most of the guys in the league.

Let's face it, what you are doing is trying to find the next Cam Newton. You are trying to capture lightning in a bottle twice.

He's not Cam Newton. He's not Peyton Manning sized, with near Mike Vick speed. He's not going to be able to lower the boom or break through arm tacklers with the same success. He doesn't have as much poise as Newton in the pocket. He doesn't have the pedigree Newton has. He doesn't have the experience Newton has.

Overall, he just doesn't seem as...good... as Cam Newton.

again....we're not even to the shrine game and here you are talking like you already know whats going on draft day.

do you think rgiii goes top 5 if he throws 60% at the combine?

so, while you can generalize the spread QB success rate, thats not what i asked. i asked about rgiii....not spread QBs in general. given that we run a rigid WCO that will not be modified for anyone, why draft a athletic QB that will have to learn the skills for the WCO?

its a fair question, as many folks with opinions i trust say that this kid cant read defenses and tucks the ball away too quickly. which if true, means he cannot run our offense adequately.

I do believe he will still go top 5 even if he throws 60% at the combine just look at Newtons Combine last year he threw very bad last year and still went 1..Also wait and see if Griffin runs a 4.3 and then tell me he wont go top 5 granted that dosent equal a great QB but hes twice the passer Micheal Vick was..

40 time isn't a concern for a QB....

thats like saying the high jump is relevant for an OL

You say that look at Vick he rose up draft boards, Griffin is a much better player and to say that if he ran a 4.8 as oppossed to a 4.3 wouldnt make a difference you are wrong..

ugh....so dense....you're not following what im saying.

first, you realize you're comparing griffin to 2 very unique athletes...one that was admittedly a run first guy before he got thrown in the clink. the other has a 16 game body of work. they are, to date, the best of hybrid run/pass QB's. should i then start the spergon wynn/akili smith comparisons?

so onto your point:

40 time for QB's: i did not say a good 40 time wouldn't make a difference in his draft slotting, i said it is not a concern. read that again. it....is.....not....a....concern. there are many other measurables that are much more important for a QB than 40 time. griffin can post a 4.2s for all i care; it tells me nothing about his ability to play the position. get all that?

so, griffin is better than vick? how so? not that it really matters, vicks not all that good. he never learned to throw a football until he got sent to the clink. and even then, how them eagles doing again?

so sgain, stop equating great college athletes with guaranteed success in the NFL. his scouting report basically says he doesn't know how to play from under center. its not like this kid is nearly as polished as luck.

RG3 runs a option offense, its run first. Its not a traditional spread, where they like to sling it around. They ran the ball 175 more times than they've thrown it. That doesn't happen in a spread offense so you can't compare him to guys who have been successful in the NFL coming from a spread. Tebow and Newton are the only comparable ones.

If you look at the 3 games Baylor lost this year, it's because they dared him to throw it. They shut down the run, only allowing him a hair over a yard per carry. 4 of his 6 INT's came in those games. So if you take away his running ability and force him to pass, he's gonna make mistakes. He has a 45% completion rate inside the 10 yard line.

I hope we don't pick up RG3. Baylor? Really? A standout from one of the weaker conferences in the league. He's only going pro this year cause if he played another year as a senior he'd get his ass SMASHED. 9-3 and he gets the heisman. I didn't agree with the reward to him and would rather have noodle arm with 18 games under his belt. HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE is all this is. Luck>RG3. Luck played another good year with teams KNOWING hes a top pick for the draft, and he still did well. Luck>RG3

This was 3rd round draft pick Colt McCoy's tryout year. This was it.

FAIL.

We can't sit around with a #4 draft pick selection, pass on an obscenely talented franchise QB talent like RG3, with fingers crossed, hoping our 3rd round shitty QB miraculously becomes kind of okay, someday... hopefully... maybe... so long as every other offensive player around him is All-Pro.

Your evaluation of Colt McCoy's abilities is clouded by your emotional attachment to him, simply because he's the quarterback of the Browns.

In other words, (like I said before,) if McCoy was the starting QB for Indy, St. Louis, or Minnesota... EVERY one of us would be assuming that each of those teams would be dying to get Luck or RG3.

Get rid of the emotional attachment to a below average Browns player, and you'll see why we need a TRUE franchise QB, instead of this inadequate, failed 3rd round experiment.

I agree whole-heartedly with this reply. Colt is serviceable, which is better than the Browns have drafted when they had the opportunity to pick a QB, and I actually do like Colt (and feel he's about to be another in line to be done dirty by the franchise)... but if the opportunity to grab such a talent is there, I'm good w/drafting RGIII.

Just watching Seneca actually make touchdowns with the same personnel bodes well for a younger player with a similar skillset. Seneca isn't a long term option, so let's go younger. What could the Browns ever lose (besides a few games here and there)?

I honestly don't even think RGIII is on the Browns radar anymore. From H&H's interviews today it just sounds like they are going to stick with Colt and add another young QB in either FA or late in the draft and have all 4 on the roster fight for spots 1-practice squad. I would expect it being McCoy winning out with Wallace being back up but I could also see Wallace just getting the boot to make room for 2 young project guys and free up a few million in the roster.

Archived