THE BROWNS BOARD

As A Redskins Fan, I Must Say

Indeterminate Proof

Right, you're banking on a guy who was targeted 121 times and only caught 61 passes? Of course, it could be Colt McCoy dragging down his performance. Taylor is okay but he's not an impact player. Taylor is actually below-average against the run (or he was as of Week 10 according to PFF).

Again, while trading down makes you look smart in the eyes of draftniks, are you getting impact players with those picks you're picking up? The Falcons should never have traded up in the first place, but Matt Ryan DID have a career season just adding Jones.

It's also kind of funny (actually side-splittingly hilarious) how you're trying to argue that the Redskins are somehow worse than the Browns. We at least gamble in the hopes of winning - the Browns just limp from 4-6 win season to 4-6 win season, with an occasionaly 7-9 or 8-8 season that gives them "hope". You're the team that didn't draft Ben Roethlisberger because you had...Charlie Frye? We've actually won 2 playoff games while the Browns have existed in the current incarnation, so while we're not the Pats or Steelers, we're not the Cleveland Browns.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But well, if you and your front office don't get your heads out of your asses, we'll make the deal, take RGIII, and laugh while we stomp all over the declining NFC East...

I don't understand someone believing in RGIII so deeply that they post on a Browns' site to stir the pot for the Browns out bidding their team for their savior...

Most likely, he'll trade both firsts, but that's as far as he'll go. After that he'll pray RGIII is there at #4, which he won't be.

Why would a team who trades their #4 bother to pray for a player to be there to draft with a pick they no longer have???

if that's the case why would you come on this board and criticize our FO for NOT matching or going over a deal offered by your redskins?

Bingo... 'Skins fan, thy name is Troll...

Luck is Tim Couch. Big, Dumb Goofy, slow thinking QB.

Just preserving this gem for future use... although unlike Kosar_For_President I'm not willing to contaminate my sig with it...

Actually, I don't think this guy is a Redskins fan. He is probably just RGIII to the CLE in drag.

Excellent!!! LOL..

Ahhh ... 8-8 ... or as Mike Shanihan calls them "the good old days"

But I'd say about 80% of us are in on Griffin.

Good one.... but it may be time for a new poll. I think you're a little high...

Plus I think the percentage is much lower... ;)

It's also kind of funny (actually side-splittingly hilarious) how you're trying to argue that the Redskins are somehow worse than the Browns. We at least gamble in the hopes of winning - the Browns just limp from 4-6 win season to 4-6 win season, with an occasionaly 7-9 or 8-8 season that gives them "hope". You're the team that didn't draft Ben Roethlisberger because you had...Charlie Frye? We've actually won 2 playoff games while the Browns have existed in the current incarnation, so while we're not the Pats or Steelers, we're not the Cleveland Browns.

I don't remember this argument you are accusing me of. Clearly I know that that 5-11 is way more cool than 4-12. If we just coulda been the cool 5-11 team we could switch draft positions and all this talk would be moot.

I also don't remember these 7-9 and 8-8 seasons you accuse of us, they would have been nice. But I do remember our last 10 win season in 2007, probably as fondly as you remember yours in 2005.

As much as I enjoy "who sucks less" discussions with uppity Redskins fans, we are probably going to bow out of the discussion after a third terrific Tom Heckert draft, and, if we get that QB you are drooling over we'll take the time to remind you once a year how he works out. Please do leave a forwarding address.

Zombo

That you AND your front office are fucking delusional if you think that playing it safe and drafting more defense as opposed to matching and exceeding any offer we make for RGIII is in your team's best interest (If you don't think this, then disregard this part!)

You guys are trying to talk yourselves out of RGIII and trading the picks needed to get him by saying "Oh, we have Colt McCoy! Oh we can sign Matt Flynn! We need to draft more running backs and wide receivers!"

Really? REALLY?!

As a Redskins fan, I've seen this movie with Jason Campbell. We gave him a top 10 OL, solid but not elite TEs and WRs, and a top 10 RB in Portis. And yet he still threw deep balls out of bounds, still collapsed whenever there was any pressure, and still threw checkdowns every other play. And yet our fanbase made excuses for him until the bitter end. We hired Zorn SOLELY to fix his shitty mechanics, but all that did was make him even more of a robot than he already was. There's a reason the first thing we did when Shanahan came to town was get rid of him. Colt is marginally better than JC, and yet not only do you want to stick with him, or sign a one-hit wonder like Flynn, you want to bring in JC to compete with him! Madness.

Draft picks are nice, but you know what's nice? Having a franchise QB. Look at the Steelers. Bounced between 11-5 and 5-11 every year until they drafted Big Ben. Ravens? Same deal until they got Flacco. And yet you're still here making excuses for your mid-round QB and thinking a few picks is too much to get a legit franchise QB, one that could be the best in your division.

But well, if you and your front office don't get your heads out of your asses, we'll make the deal, take RGIII, and laugh while we stomp all over the declining NFC East, while you continue to dwell in the basement of the AFC North because you're trotting out some combination of Flynn/JC/Colt. When by rights, the situation should be reversed. You should be the perennial basement-dwellers getting the stud QB and reversing 20 years of suck (Ray Lewis and Ed Reed aren't getting any younger, and the Bengals are a flash in the pan as always), but Holmgren's too much of a pussy and thinks stockpiling picks makes him look smart. But then, Shanny was always the real genius of the Walsh coaching tree. Holmgren didn't even want Favre, and he probably would have kept Steve Young in the pocket and made him throw 5 yard slants all day.

Anyway, that's just what I think.

and as a browns fan I say TROLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

banking on little like your banking on moss. are you really criticizing our personnel moves after mcnabb and haynesworth? what your saying is that trying and failing repeatedly is better than mitigating risk and taking value over flash?

im no more confident in snyders ability to gauge talent than i am in my neice's ability to fix my car.

banking on little like your banking on moss. are you really criticizing our personnel moves after mcnabb and haynesworth? what your saying is that trying and failing repeatedly is better than mitigating risk and taking value over flash?

im no more confident in snyders ability to gauge talent than i am in my neice's ability to fix my car.

All that "risk mitigation" has gotten you is one flash in the pan 10-6 season with a QB that was nothing once Braylon Edwards lost his hands.

I've already had this argument with people on my side - you can have all the "wonderful A+ drafts" you want, but if you don't have a stud QB then you'll be like the Bills or Jets - they get 2 to 3 starters every year through the draft, but they never have an elite QB so they never do anything.

Some other guy said a phrase that I like - "prevent drafting". It works just as well in the offseason as it does in the real games.

Btw, nobody you've drafted the last two years outside Haden and maybe Sheard is as good as Roy Helu (4th round pick) let alone Ryan Kerrigan.

All that "risk mitigation" has gotten you is one flash in the pan 10-6 season with a QB that was nothing once Braylon Edwards lost his hands.

I've already had this argument with people on my side - you can have all the "wonderful A+ drafts" you want, but if you don't have a stud QB then you'll be like the Bills or Jets - they get 2 to 3 starters every year through the draft, but they never have an elite QB so they never do anything.

Some other guy said a phrase that I like - "prevent drafting". It works just as well in the offseason as it does in the real games.

Btw, nobody you've drafted the last two years outside Haden and maybe Sheard is as good as Roy Helu (4th round pick) let alone Ryan Kerrigan.

Let's hold off comparing Helu to anyone. Way too premature for that. lol

Browns are better than you think. They're very young offensively and don't have a quality QB which shades the potential on that side of the ball. I know lack of QB play is issue for you guys as well, but at least the Browns have pieces in place while you all want to trade half your picks just to sign free agents in their place.

How many times do you all have to go the high priced FA route to understand it doesn't work?

London Fletcher? Barry Cofield? Stephen Bowen? Josh Wilson?

Also, we have to spend money, we're 50 million under the cap and we need to spend 90% of that. The problem isn't signing FAs, the problem is signing FAs that don't fit into a system.

I don't think Little is that great - he benefited from being the only NFL-caliber WR on your roster. He caught less than half the passes thrown at him. Gaffney caught about 57% of them. Hardesty sucks and Hillis is probably gone. You have no TE, even though Davis is a suspension away from being done for the year, he's a top 10 player at his position. OL is a push to me personally. Even so, those holes aren't enough to say "oh let's not trade for RGIII, let's draft another 8 mediocre to above-average players and hope we can find the next Matt Hasselbeck!". Of course, Matt Hasselbeck was shit once Shaun Alexander got run into the ground. He was average this year because teams put 8 in the box to stop CJ.

We had 12 picks last year and all 12 of them were good enough to get playing time as rookies, except the guys who got hurt. The only things we are lacking other than QB are a #1 WR, which will come in FA no matter what we do (all the top WRs in this class outside Blackmon are trash) and maybe a starting RG (we have to spend money so might as well sign Grubbs or Nicks).

Well, since i forget the redskins are even an NFL team sometimes.

LOL yeah they have uniforms and everything....it's great!!!!

so, before i continue....lemme get this straight. we're the idiots, because we wont get into a bidding war with a team whose meddling owner, whom has routinely and often overpayed, miscasted, and overdrafted, decided 2 months before the draft that he found a QB to chase and would be willing to venture into hershel walker territory to get him.

i see the logic. if snyder valued mcnabb as a 2nd and a 4th, at the end of his career, after watching him play bad football twice a year (with envy), then no wonder he values griffen so much.

so again, its smart to get into a bidding war with a guy too stupid to learn from his mistakes? im so glad you stopped by to at least display the relative intelligence of other fans. why am i not surprised that the team that continually tries to do what failed in the past is from washington.

I'm hoping the Skins overpay for Manning and that Flynn goes to Miami. That eliminates some of the trade value that the Rams would have for the #2 pick because it eliminates two teams with QB needs. Maybe then we can move up to the #2, only giving up the #4 and maybe next year's 1 and a pick somewhere else in this years draft and hell..send them Colt McCoy to be the backup to Stafford.

Let's think about some things, shall we?

You keep on bringing up Snyder as a "meddling owner." Which he was up until Vinny Cerrato left and Allen and Shanahan took over. You see, Vinny was the "mastermind" behind all the idiotic personnel moves (Jason Taylor, TJ Duckett, Adam Archuleta, Haynesworthless, etc).

Name one big name free agent that we signed to a moronic contract since Shanahan took over. You can't, because it hasn't happened. We went from 5 draft picks last year to 12, picking up a star at OLB (Kerrigan), one on the DL who got injured (Jarvis Jenkins), a good #2 receiver at worst (Hankerson), two very good RBs (Helu, Royster), and good depth everywhere else. The days of Snyder "meddling" are long gone.

Let's think about some things, shall we?

You keep on bringing up Snyder as a "meddling owner." Which he was up until Vinny Cerrato left and Allen and Shanahan took over. You see, Vinny was the "mastermind" behind all the idiotic personnel moves (Jason Taylor, TJ Duckett, Adam Archuleta, Haynesworthless, etc).

Name one big name free agent that we signed to a moronic contract since Shanahan took over. You can't, because it hasn't happened. We went from 5 draft picks last year to 12, picking up a star at OLB (Kerrigan), one on the DL who got injured (Jarvis Jenkins), a good #2 receiver at worst (Hankerson), two very good RBs (Helu, Royster), and good depth everywhere else. The days of Snyder "meddling" are long gone.

If that's the case, more than fine with us. BECAUSE it means Shanahan is smart enough not get into a bidding war with the Browns over RGIII. We have more rational ammunition than the 'Skins do. Period.

I'd say about 60% of us on this board are in favor of moving up to get Griffin- but not at any price. FWIW, I'm beginning to think the rumor that Washington is willing to give up this years #1, #2, #3 and next years #1 (or more) is crazy talk, maybe perpetrated by the Rams. I'd like to think any sane Redskins fan would agree that's way too much to get RGIII. H&H certainly won't be willing to.

As a competent Redskins fan, I feel that I have to apologize for intermediate proof or whatever his name is. The Browns have as many holes as the Redskins do, to trade both firsts would be crazy. I will elaborate later but I have to go to class.

Steelers suck.

Right, because Brandon Weeden or Ryan Tannehill are going to be anything more than average in the NFL. But people are going to talk themselves into shitty QB prospects because they're too afraid to take the shot with the star. Or they're going to say "Oh Barkley and Jones are just as good! Wait for them!" Except that Jones is terrible, he throws an NFL throw maybe once or twice a game, and Barkley last year played with about 8 guys who will be top 16 picks on offense.

What ever happened to quality > quantity? It may make you sleep better at night to have more draft picks but getting a few more average starters doesn't make up for not having a quarterback. Oh, it's possible to build a good team that way - but it takes 5 years of drafting and a shitload of lucky breaks. Do you really think the Niners will go 13-3 every year with Alex Smith at QB? And this was after they drafted about 7 first round picks in 5 years, and about 15-20 premium picks in that span. All of it means SHIT, utter fucking SHIT, if you don't have an elite QB.

If that's the case, more than fine with us. BECAUSE it means Shanahan is smart enough to not get into a bidding war with the Browns over RGIII. We have more rational ammunition than the 'Skins do. Period.

I'd say about 60% of us on this board are in favor of moving up to get Griffin- but not at any price. FWIW, I'm beginning to think the rumor that Washington is willing to give up this years #1, #2, #3 and next years #1 (or more) is crazy talk, maybe perpetrated by the Rams. I'd like to think any sane Redskins fan would agree that's way too much to get RGIII. H&H certainly won't be willing to.

The amount rumored was dropped by a Eagles reporter. Take it with a BIG grain of salt.

In all honesty, if I were the Browns organization, I wouldn't want to get into a bidding war either. Cleveland is going to have more trouble signing free agents than Washington, just based on cap numbers. The Skins are probably more willing to deal more picks because we're close to $50M under the cap, and can repeat last year's FA by signing quality players. We would be able to sign players in positions that we wouldn't be able to draft to.

The Browns might actually trade down from the 4 spot. I wouldn't be surprised at all. That way, they can get more picks (at least another second and third), take a stud receiver (Floyd) and Trent Richardson later in the first. Maybe take Tannehill, Weeden, or Cousins to compete with McCoy if you don't get Flynn. If not a receiver or running back in the first, they could draft Dre Kirkpatrick to pair across from Haden. That would make for a scary secondary.

Right, because Brandon Weeden or Ryan Tannehill are going to be anything more than average in the NFL. But people are going to talk themselves into shitty QB prospects because they're too afraid to take the shot with the star. Or they're going to say "Oh Barkley and Jones are just as good! Wait for them!" Except that Jones is terrible, he throws an NFL throw maybe once or twice a game, and Barkley last year played with about 8 guys who will be top 16 picks on offense.

What ever happened to quality > quantity? It may make you sleep better at night to have more draft picks but getting a few more average starters doesn't make up for not having a quarterback. Oh, it's possible to build a good team that way - but it takes 5 years of drafting and a shitload of lucky breaks. Do you really think the Niners will go 13-3 every year with Alex Smith at QB? And this was after they drafted about 7 first round picks in 5 years, and about 15-20 premium picks in that span. All of it means SHIT, utter fucking SHIT, if you don't have an elite QB.

Well, you and RGIII to Cle are in the same boat, sell the ranch, blow all your future picks and hope Griffin is the real deal. We're willing to make a rational deal- some of the stuff out there is pre-draft insanity.

That's cute coming from a franchise that wasn't around 15 years ago...

WTF are you talking about? The Browns franchise has been around since 1946. The Redskins have only been around 14 years longer, since 1932...though they have played 17 more seasons with the Browns 3 off years.

Name one big name free agent that we signed to a moronic contract since Shanahan took over.

so, grossman and mcnabb were good moves? do us all a favor....stop talking before you say something really stupid. while shanny surely isn't cerrato, i'll easily take the guy whose made a career out of embarrassing the skins (none other than philly's ex-GM heckert) to make the decisions. yall got some good players last draft, so did we.

whats the point in coming here to preach about how important QB's are when your team has been graced with the same quality QB talent the browns have in recent years. we've at least attempted to fill that position with draft picks while, as per the norm, the redskins look to FA and washed up vets to man the helm.

you are in no position to criticize....youre 2 years into a new FO, as are we. and in the very same fashion, all those playmakers and awesome rookies ya'll are sporting got you the same as us....a bottom of the league team that couldn't compete with a high school squad.

I live in Northern Virginia now and its terrible. I would walk into bars at the beginning of the season after the skins were 2-1 after barely beating two horrible teams and their fans would chant super bowl and I would have to remind them rex gross was their QB :/ half my friends in D.C. arent even skins fans because they were so fed up with their own fans. And their not bandwagon fans either cause they like the broncos and buccaneers for some reason.

WTF are you talking about? The Browns franchise has been around since 1946. The Redskins have only been around 14 years longer, since 1932...though they have played 17 more seasons with the Browns 3 off years.

Actually, the Browns name has been around since 1946. Then, in 1996 the franchise left for Baltimore and changed it's name. Then in 1999 they started again, a completely new franchise, just with the same name.

15 years ago Cleveland didn't have a team. Nothing I said was incorrect.

It's funny how people "forget the Redskins are even an NFL team anymore" when the current iteration of the Browns hasn't been around 20 years.

so, grossman and mcnabb were good moves? do us all a favor....stop talking before you say something really stupid. while shanny surely isn't cerrato, i'll easily take the guy whose made a career out of embarrassing the skins (none other than philly's ex-GM heckert) to make the decisions. yall got some good players last draft, so did we.

Grossman and McNabb were better than Campbell and Colt Brennan. Cerrato left the Skins absolutely nothing. Shanahan used what he had to make the best of a bad situation his first year, then last year, when he was actually given a full draft and a year away from Cerrato, completely overhauled the roster.

Hindsight says McNabb was a bad move, but at the time, he was coming off a good year, and from all indications, would put in the work to become better. It's not on Shanahan that he turned into a turd that didn't want to work.

whats the point in coming here to preach about how important QB's are when your team has been graced with the same quality QB talent the browns have in recent years. we've at least attempted to fill that position with draft picks while, as per the norm, the redskins look to FA and washed up vets to man the helm.

So, knowing firsthand how important the QB is means I can't say how important the QB is (I never even mentioned a QB in my posts though, so how am I preaching how important QBs are?

Like I said, using the picks we had, there weren't any QBs available that Shanahan liked when we were drafting. We also filled a lot of holes along the way. OLB, DE, WR, and RB. Rumor has it Shanahan had his eye on Dalton, but the Bengals took him before we had a chance to in the second.

you are in no position to criticize....youre 2 years into a new FO, as are we. and in the very same fashion, all those playmakers and awesome rookies ya'll are sporting got you the same as us....a bottom of the league team that couldn't compete with a high school squad.

Who's criticizing who? I never offered any criticism of the Browns.

Couldn't compete with a high school squad? Didn't we beat the Super Bowl Champs twice this season? We came within two bad calls in the Pats game of beating them too.

oh, you beat the giants, who actually won something (again), twice, you say? where are you drafting again.....6?

we beat the defending superbowl champs the last 3 or 4 years....and we're drafting 4. we were within one call of winning literally a hundred games.....cry me a river.

oh, you beat the giants, who actually won something (again), twice, you say? where are you drafting again.....6?

we beat the defending superbowl champs the last 3 or 4 years....and we're drafting 4. we were within one call of winning literally a hundred games.....cry me a river.

Your point? You said neither team could beat a high school squad, which is just completely wrong.

I like how you ignored the rest of the post, too.

hmmm...apparently, i think all you skins fans that decided to roll in today are pretty much the same. i simply dont care to differentiate.

Yeah, it must suck to talk to someone who actually knows football and doesn't spout out tired old cliches like "Snyder runs the Redskins" or the like.

The most you can hang your hat on is that you have the Eagles' old GM. Congrats.

I tried to come in here and be civil...

Yeah, it must suck to talk to someone who actually knows football and doesn't spout out tired old cliches like "Snyder runs the Redskins" or the like.

The most you can hang your hat on is that you have the Eagles' old GM. Congrats.

I tried to come in here and be civil...

You were pretty much a douchebag from the getgo. It's too bad Snyder doesn't meddle anymore, the team was better then.

Zombo

Archived