THE BROWNS BOARD

What Quarterback Should We Acquire?

SirLuck

If Smith goes to Miami, I think it is all over son, this is an issue for next year.

If the QB derby was musical chairs, then SF got left standing at the end and the Browns quit and went home when they got leapfrogged.

It's Colt and Wallace and some big dorky draft project.

Boy, I hope our defense is spectacular.

Zombo

Exactly Z. Miami or KC will take Tannehill, and the Browns get left holding the bag.

The guys who want Tebow, can get real- if he's that good, why would the Broncos dump him now that they have a real qb? Let him sit behind Manning and learn for a few years. Third round pick? ESPN said that may drop down to a 7th.

The guy still has lousy mechanics, a slow release, and poor accuracy. The antithesis of what you need in a WCO qb.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guys who want Tebow, can get real- if he's that good, why would the Broncos dump him now that they have a real qb? Let him sit behind Manning and learn for a few years. Third round pick? ESPN said that may drop down to a 7th.

He wants Tebow to pull out and leave a puddle on his back like Couch did.

This "he's a winner" defense for Tebow is the same one Colt fans use.

Been reported that The Browns are already planning for Matt Barkley ....... already resigned to sucking in 2012 :(

Really? It's been "reported" that we are going to "Blow for Barkley?"

Who is this astute reporter?

Do you mind if we draft first, and go through the motions of a football season?

Zombo

--Pure Horsecrap

The hay is in the barn, now it's time to eat...Honestly I don't see a better option available to us right now. Get some guys to make it watchable this year and draft a QB next year. Barkley, Jones, Aaron Murray, all first rd. talents. Probably be more that jump up there to, 2013 should be a good year to get one.

I do not believe Barkley and Jones are even as good as Colt McCoy. Not sure about this Aaron Murray because I have never heard him or seen him play.

Holmgren and Heckert AGAIN, got outsmarted, outmanuvered and out negotiated by the better executives in the NFL.

Its entirely possible that it was the other way around. H & H may have in fact forced the Redskins to give up a pile of assets knowing that they were never going to be serious about matching the Redskins.

There are only 32 teams in this league....and by playing their own version of The Game of Thrones the Browns may have weakened at least one of their opponents in this league. They may have preferred that it be one of their AFC opponents, like Miami, but so be it.

Really? It's been "reported" that we are going to "Blow for Barkley?"

Who is this astute reporter?

Do you mind if we draft first, and go through the motions of a football season?

Zombo

--Pure Horsecrap

Again, in my opinion, Barkley would be a downgrade from Colt McCoy. He is about the same height and weight. He is slower, his arm is weaker, and his leadership qualities from what I have seen where nowhere near what McCoy's were...if we are comparing their college careers.

Fuck a bunch of Matt Barkley.

No quarterback available is distinctly BETTER than McCoy.

The question you should be asking is "Who is a big upgrade over McCoy" not "Who is available"

No, the question is a three part question: Who is available\ that is an upgrade over McCoy \that fits into our West Coast offensive system?

THAT is what Holmgren and Heckert and Shurmur are asking themselves.

Stantons stats:

Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV

2008 24 DET 5 3 0 9 17 52.9 119 1 5.9 0 0.0 41 7.0 8.2 13.2 39.7 95.0 6 35 3.7 4.5 26.1 0

2009 25 DET qb 5 4 1 0-1-0 26 51 51.0 259 0 0.0 6 11.8 30 5.1 -0.2 10.0 64.8 26.1 5 27 4.1 -0.7 8.9 1

2010 26 DET qb 5 6 3 2-1-0 69 119 58.0 780 4 3.4 3 2.5 87 6.6 6.1 11.3 130.0 78.4 6 42 5.9 5.5 4.8 2 2 3

2011 27 DET 5 0 0 0 0 0 0

He never even played last year.

I don't know why you guys want another QB? Colt McCoy is a really good QB and Cleveland was lucky to get him in the draft. We just need WR's that will hold onto the ball and a runningback that will take some pressure off of him to preform flawlessly. We don't need a QB... we need an offense.

What you should take from this highlight video is: If the wide receivers don't catch the ball or hold onto the ball none of these highlights are ever going to happen. Support Colt and give him some receivers to work with and a runningback that defenses fear so that Colt can use the play action.

I don't know why you guys want another QB? Colt McCoy is a really good QB and Cleveland was lucky to get him in the draft. We just need WR's that will hold onto the ball and a runningback that will take some pressure off of him to preform flawlessly. We don't need a QB... we need an offense.

What you should take from this highlight video is: If the wide receivers don't catch the ball or hold onto the ball none of these highlights are ever going to happen. Support Colt and give him some receivers to work with and a runningback that defenses fear so that Colt can use the play action.

You should be a comedian!!

College highlights are useless at this point. Show some from the pros.

I do not believe Barkley and Jones are even as good as Colt McCoy. Not sure about this Aaron Murray because I have never heard him or seen him play.

I live in Georgia. Aaron Murray is an undersized guy much like Colt McCoy but far more inconsistent in college. I doubt he gets drafted unless he puts up numbers like Flutie at BC this season. As far as missing on RG3...Snyder was willing to sell the souls of his first born child and grandchild to get him. Nothing could have been done to get him. Also, it's hard to say if RG3 would've even wanted to play here. Quarterback is the most difficult position to fill on a team. It largely depends on the individual. The ones that are determined to overcome physical short comings are the ones that win games. Some do it through preparation, some do it on the backs of a supporting cast. Either way the ones that find a way to win are ones we talk about for years to come. Joe Montana didn't have a cannon but was brilliant a the line of scrimmage that's what made him what he was. On the flip side, Derek Anderson has a rocket for an arm, and doesn't prepare for games so he goes out there and embarrasses himself. Cam Newton was gigged on limited knowledge of an NFL Style Offense. Knowing this short coming, he came out and looked prepared for all of his games. Granted they only won six of them but in most of their games they put up a lot of points and that's with all of his turnovers too. The first thing a team should look for in a quarterback is if he has the mind to be one in the NFL. Then the measurable stuff comes in because the ones with all the physical gifts come and go more often than the ones with the mind to be a winner in this league.

College highlights are useless at this point. Show some from the pros.

^+1 Same difference as posting college highlights of Trent Richardson running through and over guys who will be watching the NFL on TV Sundays, instead of playing in it.

If Colt McCoy is a really good QB- riddle me this PG. Then why in the world did H&H offer a couple of first round picks (at least) to the Rams to get RGIII?

He wants Tebow to pull out and leave a puddle on his back like Couch did.

This "he's a winner" defense for Tebow is the same one Colt fans use.

I don't know anybody who can use the "he's a winner" argument for a QB who's won 6 games in 2 seasons.

Anyone that has played more than 1 year in College could have a "Highlight" reel that makes them look like a god. Cherry pick all the good plays and leave out the bad ones. Highlight reels are for ESPN and kids.

I understand the thought process that several of you have...wanting to see highlights from Colt's limited NFL career. But the point that I think was trying to be made by showing that video was that he is capable of putting those highlights together if he was given actual offensive weapons to use...you know...like receivers that can get open and catch the ball as opposed to ones that tip and drop passes and can't break coverage if their lives depended on it.

As far as why they went after RG3? I have no clue...other than pressure from fans to get a "playmaker." To me, he doesn't fit the offense and he is more than likely going to be a bust. I hope that he has success, but he will likely suffer too many hits and his career will be cut short due to injuries and concussions.

I won't be so naive as to say that Colt is the answer. But I am tired of playing musical chairs under center. The fan base needs to step back and quit bitching about the QB situation and let the team do what is best. Until we put a team with offensive weapons on the field, no QB will be successful here. I just hope that H & H go out and draft a RB and a WR and give the offense some decent play-calling to work with. Then, if Colt can't hack it, we look for a new QB. At least give the kid a chance with a full training camp and some weapons.

I understand the thought process that several of you have...wanting to see highlights from Colt's limited NFL career. But the point that I think was trying to be made by showing that video was that he is capable of putting those highlights together if he was given actual offensive weapons to use...you know...like receivers that can get open and catch the ball as opposed to ones that tip and drop passes and can't break coverage if their lives depended on it.

to which the counterpoint was....it doesn't matter what you look like against guys watching football on sundays. strength of competition...if you will. its not that we dont understand that colt was good in college....its only that its not the same game. slightly different rules, systems, strategy, and huge difference in talent. the worst NFL players are still the best among college athletes.

so colt had some success against lesser players, an average talent level more in line with colts abilities. no one really cares if colt can make that throw in college, we do care that he can make that throw while being pursued by an NFL caliber rusher, and complete it to a WR covered by an NFL caliber CB. essentially, now, colts talent isn't enough for him to get by like it was in college. his opposition is faster, stronger, and smarter than those he faced and vanquished in college.

college is completely irrelevant.

I don't know anybody who can use the "he's a winner" argument for a QB who's won 6 games in 2 seasons.

The answer to that is that some people want to say that so and so (insert name...Tebow, Griffin, Heiny Fritz, Shecky Schultz..whatever) was a big "winner" in college. Well, so was Colt. In fact he won more college games than any QB in history.

The point being that just because someone did or did not win in college doesn't mean he won't be a winner in the Pros.

to which the counterpoint was....it doesn't matter what you look like against guys watching football on sundays. strength of competition...if you will. its not that we dont understand that colt was good in college....its only that its not the same game. slightly different rules, systems, strategy, and huge difference in talent. the worst NFL players are still the best among college athletes.

so colt had some success against lesser players, an average talent level more in line with colts abilities. no one really cares if colt can make that throw in college, we do care that he can make that throw while being pursued by an NFL caliber rusher, and complete it to a WR covered by an NFL caliber CB. essentially, now, colts talent isn't enough for him to get by like it was in college. his opposition is faster, stronger, and smarter than those he faced and vanquished in college.

college is completely irrelevant.

Insert the names Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III and your point is equally cogent.

Archived