THE BROWNS BOARD

The end all be all thread regarding quinns arm strength...

PlaygroundLegend

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

would you rather I have started a new thread? I bumped it due to the Quinn trade talk and I thought that it could produce some insight.

Sorry if it offended you dude.

Next time Ill just quote it in other posts, my fault.

Anyway...

My point is, Quinn can do anything that Cutler/ DA can. Mangini has no reason to shop our former first rounder who hasnt gotten his shot yet. Its unethical.

would you rather I have started a new thread? I bumped it due to the Quinn trade talk and I thought that it could produce some insight.

Sorry if it offended you dude.

Next time Ill just quote it in other posts, my fault.

Anyway...

My point is, Quinn can do anything that Cutler/ DA can. Mangini has no reason to shop our former first rounder who hasnt gotten his shot yet. Its unethical.

BQ can do anything any top notch qb can do at least at the college level and the 3 games he started last season shows he has the poise and leadership qualities and given the chance ,a real quality group of hands WR and an offensive coordinator that has faith in him and a real gameplan BQ will burn the nfl up..

To be fair DA could be something special as well under the same circumstances with good coaching and a well established ruleset to quill his desire to screw up..;)

I prefer DA or BQ over cutler he is a crybaby and a hothead he has less then desirable leadership qualites and he has far better WRs then BQ and DA had last year our problem isnt qbs its coaching,playcalling and WRs..and he looks like a hobbit...lol i had to throw that in..;)

After watching the video, it appears Brady threw at least 6 passes in college that went 45 yards in the air. I counted 1 that went 52-55 yards for sure, depending on the angles, 1or 2 others may have made that distance.

Guest Aloysius

Is arm strength really the issue with Quinn? From what I remember, accuracy was a much bigger concern when he was coming out of college.

Is arm strength really the issue with Quinn? From what I remember, accuracy was a much bigger concern when he was coming out of college.

I remember something about him throwing 2-4 WTF passes a game. Just suddenly threw a pass to nowhere.

Otherwise he was pretty accurate and has a decent NFL arm.

You recall correctly, Alo. Nobody who has ever watched football has ever bashed Quinn's arm. Merril Hoge and co. believed he fell in the draft/Browns overpaid because of his perceived accuracy issues. I recall this being beaten into the groud on the radio and on SportsCenter. This whole Quinn-has-no-arm-strength phenomenon, on the other hand, started this season when Lumbergh/gimp/whoever, needing something to bash Quinn on, used Chud/Romeo's "dink and dunk" gameplan as a rip on Quinn.

It was stupid then and it is still stupid now.

Arm strength isn't needed by Mr. Dink-n-Dunk.............Whoops, sorry. I'll be more politically correct...............Mr. Check Down

can someone inform me how to post a link

just copy and paste the URL of the site

Or when you're replying to a post hit the button to the right of the smiley face selector box.

Arm strength isn't needed by Mr. Dink-n-Dunk.............Whoops, sorry. I'll be more politically correct...............Mr. Check Down

I love how these idiots who have never watched football now believe checking down is a bad thing.

You recall correctly, Alo. Nobody who has ever watched football has ever bashed Quinn's arm. Merril Hoge and co. believed he fell in the draft/Browns overpaid because of his perceived accuracy issues. I recall this being beaten into the groud on the radio and on SportsCenter. This whole Quinn-has-no-arm-strength phenomenon, on the other hand, started this season when Lumbergh/gimp/whoever, needing something to bash Quinn on, used Chud/Romeo's "dink and dunk" gameplan as a rip on Quinn.

It was stupid then and it is still stupid now.

About as stupid as people believing Quinn and Rogers rumor to Denver. People see some dumb post and run with it like it was the holy truth.

1.First off I would like to request that before responding to this post you watch this video...

2. Secondly I would like you to take a visit to this url, it is Brady Quinns Scout.com profile from college:

http://car.scout.com/a.z?s=123&p=8&amp...amp;nid=2477577

3. Thirdly read this quote from a quinn interview:

"

Ken(Seattle): Brady since the season has ended there have been many questions regarding arm strength and if you can throw the long ball. What would you say to your critics?

Brady Quinn: That's the first time I've ever heard anything regarding my arm strength. I've never had any problems throwing the ball down the field."

4. Read this article, it may not say the best things about Quinn, but it does say he has a solid arm

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/VIPIMP/Brady_Quinn/4086

5. John Murphy Yahoo Sports "Quinn overcame questions about his accuracy, pure arm strength and pocket presence a year ago to post one of the best seasons of any quarterback in Notre Dame history. He jumps right back into the fire this Saturday in the Irish's home opener against Penn State, a team that features three of the best linebackers in college football. "

6. In this video you can see Quinn toss two 50 yarders with ease

http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/uncategorize...ady-quinn-38251

I hope this finally shuts the haters up. The Browns kept Quinns throws short because they're testing him out, and then let him work his way up to the bombs. I was at the houston game when he threw the pretty 40 yarder to Braylon, and you can see littered throughout his highlight video at the top that he can make ALL the throws, and accurately. Alot of people are treating him like he cant throw a ball past the 35 yard mark when it is well known that he tops out in the mid 70's. Its B.S. that he is getting the shaft when it comes to talks about his arm because he is consistently compared to the likes of J Russel and Derek Anderson, those guys dont have good arms, they have rocket launchers. Quinns arm is just as good as Tom Brady's and Peyton Mannings. I hope this threat has changed the mind of those who question the distance that quinn can go.

3441454122-cleveland-browns-quarterback-brady-quinn-fires-11-yard-pass-maurice.JPG

dejavu all over crap same crap was said over and over about Couch....................MAKE IT HAPPEN quinnye boy...........YEAH

I love how these idiots who have never watched football now believe checking down is a bad thing.

Yep, that's me. Never watched, much less played football. :rolleyes: Having played the position at the JC level, (laugh if you want) I know how hard it is to break certain tendencies, and always going to your check down when your primary receiver looses his battle, is a hard tendency to eliminate..................But what do I know.

Make sure you lace 'em up tight when you "watch" football!! :lol:

Guest Masters

Rich, before you say Quinn couldn't win the big games in college, same things were said about Peyton, Tom Brady, and Brees (arm, accuracy, and couldn't win the big one). Suffice to say, those guys did alright. Will Quinn be equal to any of them? Don't know, but won't know until the kid plays. He has all the tools, the smarts, and supposedly the work ethic to be that good. But only Quinn controls whether he'll pull all of those together to be good, really good, or great.

Having played the position at the JC level, (laugh if you want) I know how hard it is to break certain tendencies, and always going to your check down when your primary receiver looses his battle, is a hard tendency to eliminate..................But what do I know.

When your primary receiver is covered, throw it anyway. Clearly, a proven recipe for success. <_<

Yep, that's me. Never watched, much less played football. :rolleyes: Having played the position at the JC level, (laugh if you want) I know how hard it is to break certain tendencies, and always going to your check down when your primary receiver looses his battle, is a hard tendency to eliminate..................But what do I know.

Make sure you lace 'em up tight when you "watch" football!! :lol:

Why don't you enlighten us on some of DA's "tendencies" that you've observed and proceed to blather on about how much of a detriment to his game they are and how hard those tendencies will be for him to break?

Nevermind, I forgot that with certain posters on here we're back in the '80s playing The Oregon Trail on an Apple IIc.

It really is too bad that that game doesn't seem quite so great as it once did..... scratch-head03-idea-animated-animation-smiley-emoticon-000416-design.gif

Yep, that's me. Never watched, much less played football. Having played the position at the JC level, (laugh if you want) I know how hard it is to break certain tendencies, and always going to your check down when your primary receiver looses his battle, is a hard tendency to eliminate..................But what do I know.

Make sure you lace 'em up tight when you "watch" football!!

Sorta like the tendency to try and thread the needle when a receiver isn't really open that leads to wtf INT's?

Yeah, I'll take the "tendency" that plays to smarter football: "Receiver's not open, go to my next stop on the progression".

I am definately a BQ or any draftee skeptic until they prove it on a NFL field. I dont think BQ has overall arm stregth problems in any way. I question if he can throw the 20-35 yard accurate dart with NFL level coverage.

Than again he has not had enough games for any of us to know one way or the other. Lum let it go IF he is the starter and he definatley goes into training camps with at least a 10% lead he will earn the job and have to prove his value on the field.

Honestly DA makes me want to vomit at times and others I just shake my head at the throws he does make.... If Bq is better that is only good for us as a franchise if not well then we still (at this point) have DA to put in.

I am more worried about the draft and the holes we have on defense along with our wide reciever issues than the qb position. That is actually something we seem to have depth in right now and I am happy with that.

I dont think BQ has overall arm stregth problems in any way. I question if he can throw the 20-35 yard accurate dart with NFL level coverage.

Contradictory statements methinks.

A 35 yard pass (assuming you mean from the LoS) has to travel, what close to 45 yards on mid to deep drop? How many guys throw a 45 yard "dart"? That pass is DA's real strength. Threw some truly unreal balls in that range.

That said, Drew Brees doesn't scare anybody on that pass. For that matter, neither does Manning or Brady.

You did sum it up, however, with this statement:

I am definately a BQ or any draftee skeptic until they prove it on a NFL field.

Where we differ is that I believe DA has demonstrated enough doubt at this stage to warrant a complete look at Quinn. Just too much risk in betting that DA will suddenly mature out of his decision making problems and also magically develop a deft touch on shorter passes.

Who cares how far any QB can throw a football. The only time that matters is with a hail Mary.

How far can Drew Brees throw a football? Or Joe Montana?

I want a guy who can play the game. You know, a boxer not a puncher.

Right- once you get past a certain point, so what. If arm strength were all that mattered, JaMarkus Russell should be one of the greatest ever. Jeff George had a cannon- where'd it get him. Way back in 1999 when we were discussing what qb to take one of the Central Florida alums swore he saw Daunte Culpepper toss a football 90 yards in practice.

I dont think Greythan it is contradictory, I probably should have further defined my statement. In college I think quinn makes those 20-35 yard passes with his armstrength, but lets say a 20-25 yard pass not necessarily the 30-35yard in the NFL versus College the coverage is MUCH tighter.

I dont know if he can make that 20-25 yard pass in the NFL with the accuracy and zip needed. I am pretty sure we will find out this season so one way or the other that question will be answered.

Who says Drew Brees can't throw a ball far? I've seen that little f'cker wing a deep one a few times w/ great velocity on it.

I have all the Browns games on DVR from the last two seasons. I do not know how to get them on my computer, if somebody can tell me how, I'd be more then happy to upload clips.

It comes down to this. We have seen Quinn throw 4 deep balls in the NFL, in preseason, and games, since he arrived. The most infamous is the 37 yard duck he lobbed to Steptoe, that the DB intercepted, and Steptoe, being the gamer that he is, ripped it out of the DB's hand after having to back track, and taking off with it.

We saw him in the Lions preseason, Travis Wilson wide open, 39-40 yards away, underthrown.

We saw in the 3rd quarter of the Denver game, toss what looks to be a 41 yard throw... way underthrown no velocity.

We saw in a loss to Houston, an attempted 34 yard throw to a Braylon Edwards racing down the sideline w/ only a safety on him, underthrown. In Brady Quinn's defense, he had little time on this throw, because Williams bullrushed Thomas on his ass and hit Quinn instantly after the ball was released.

Brady Quinn's longest throw of his career is 41 yards in the NFL. It was a 27 yard pass to Edwards, that edwards ran for 14 yards after the catch. He has completed 50% of his passes in the NFL, and thats counting his first good, safe, game where he dink'd and dunked to RB's and TE's all game, ala Collins.

Does Quinn have the arm strength to throw deep? Probably. I mean we have clips here showing him throwing the ball pretty good. Can he throw it in the NFL? So far no. Why? Maybe defensive pressure, maybe his wind up is too long ALA Leftwhich. Can it be fixed? Sure, the Patriots can make any noodle arm into a strong armed QB. Tom Brady couldn't toss the ball too hard when he started in the NFL, in 2007 we watched him throw missles at Randy Moss game after game. Matt Cassel in pre-season we all laughed at for being weak, and he was the most sought after QB in Free Agency this year.

If Brady Quinn is our starter this season, I would hope our coaching staff could help him on his mechanics. It looks like RAC's staff may have hurt his mechanics, lets just hope our new powers at be can hope to get the most of Brady as possible.

If not the Cleveland Clinic has done a full face transplant successfully, can we just remove Andersons arm, and sew it onto Brady if we get desperate?

Here is the Scouts Inc report on him....arm strength comments are bolded:

Comment: While unproven at the NFL level, Quinn has all the physical tools you look for in a franchise quarterback. He has good height and an excellent, strong build that he can use to fend off would-be tacklers. He is built to take a pounding and shouldn't have a lot of problems handling the rigors of the position at this level. He was extremely durable as a four-year starter in college and is a tough player overall. Quinn is a more-than-adequate athlete who can makes plays with the ball in his hands or buy time in the pocket by avoiding the rush. He has a big enough arm to make just about any throw asked of him and is also an intelligent, hardworking young man with natural leadership traits. He doesn't have to set his feet to generate good RPMs on the ball. He gets rid of the ball quickly with a short, compact delivery. He sees the field well for someone his age and shows good pocket presence with a strong understanding of what a defense is looking to accomplish. His accuracy is troublesome though. Quinn makes his receivers work too hard to adjust to the ball at times and will simply miss open targets on throws that he should clearly make. Those lapses need to be corrected. He is more accurate with his short throws than going downfield. He can also be streaky with his throwing. When he is on, he is very dangerous, but when he is off, he can cost his team. He is confident in his abilities though and can be quick to get out of a funk. Do not be surprised if he becomes entrenched as the Browns' starting quarterback as soon as midway through the 2008 season. He has a bright future.

Admittedly this is pre 2008 season info...but arm strength doesn't go bad on a young player without injuries. He has plenty of arm.

Scouting info and what happens in an NFL game are admittely two different things, and don't try to sit there w/ a straight face and tell me I'm wrong.

Like I said, Brady Quinn probably does have arm strength, and it could be his mechanics just need worked on. He has attempted four deep balls, completed none of them, and not because they were dropped passes, but because they were ducks that never made it to the receiver. Although I did watch him in his last game throw a nice rocket towards the opposing teams Defensive End! But, we've seen Derek Anderson do that as well, a few times.

I say we go ahead and let Brady worked out this preseason, and then we will see what they current staff has done w/ his throwing mechanics, and if he can get the ball to the deep receivers. Until then, in my eyes, his throw is weak, BUT can be worked on, and shouldn't be too hard to get him throwing good.

Scouting info and what happens in an NFL game are admittely two different things, and don't try to sit there w/ a straight face and tell me I'm wrong.

Like I said, Brady Quinn probably does have arm strength, and it could be his mechanics just need worked on. He has attempted four deep balls, completed none of them, and not because they were dropped passes, but because they were ducks that never made it to the receiver. Although I did watch him in his last game throw a nice rocket towards the opposing teams Defensive End! But, we've seen Derek Anderson do that as well, a few times.

I say we go ahead and let Brady worked out this preseason, and then we will see what they current staff has done w/ his throwing mechanics, and if he can get the ball to the deep receivers. Until then, in my eyes, his throw is weak, BUT can be worked on, and shouldn't be too hard to get him throwing good.

Only the deep balls vs denver would count, how many was that?

Archived