THE BROWNS BOARD

Colt Mccoy To Be Traded

Loyalty

What ever happened to opening it up for competition? What ever happened to giving the rookie a year to learn the system. Perhaps bring him in by game 10 if the playoffs look doubtful. What's wrong with Colt on the bench as a back-up? I think we're giving up on Colt too quickly - but that's my opinion. I agree with people who are saying, let's dump the Seneca contract instead.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What ever happened to opening it up for competition? What ever happened to giving the rookie a year to learn the system. Perhaps bring him in by game 10 if the playoffs look doubtful. What's wrong with Colt on the bench as a back-up? I think we're giving up on Colt too quickly - but that's my opinion. I agree with people who are saying, let's dump the Seneca contract instead.

His daddy dissed them publicly. Whether he was right to do it or not, wtf do you expect. Tell you what, send your dad in Monday morning to work with a camera crew and have him diss your boss in front of everyone, then post it on youtube. If you still have your job I will buy you a 75% off Colt McCoy jersey for the awesome video and the apparent value you obviously have to your company. 99.9999999% of the employees that show up to work with a whiny daddy will get canned......especially if you suck at your job.

Just announced it on Mike and Mike...

McCoy is going to most likely be traded today or tomorrow.

What are we going to get for him?

It is now officially the Brandon 'Smoke' Weeden Era.

If they trade him now it would be a HUGE mistake, they will get a 5 or 7 pick at best, We have an unproven rookie as the alternative, My suggestion is keep them both this year and trade him next year instead of a panic trade which provides another fat useless lineman

Well now league sources are saying the Browns haven't even contacted anyone about trading Colt and that the Colt to Packers rumors were false. So who the hell knows. I agree with what Tim H said on ESPN today. Might as well just keep him and develop him and drop either Wallace or Lewis. Colt isn't the kind of guy who is going to take it personal and shun Weeden and will in fact work his ass off to do the best he can in this position and try to be the best back up he can be until he either gets a chance with another team in FA or something terrible happens to Weeden and he needs to step in. What we would get via trade might not be worth getting rid of someone a lot of teams would consider at the very least a good back up and field manager. Might as well drop Wallace, he isn't going to help out Weeden anyway.

His daddy dissed them publicly. Whether he was right to do it or not, wtf do you expect. Tell you what, send your dad in Monday morning to work with a camera crew and have him diss your boss in front of everyone, then post it on youtube. If you still have your job I will buy you a 75% off Colt McCoy jersey for the awesome video and the apparent value you obviously have to your company. 99.9999999% of the employees that show up to work with a whiny daddy will get canned......especially if you suck at your job.

And the fact that "the daddy" was 100% correct on his assessment of the situation is irrelevent?

And the fact that "the daddy" was 100% correct on his assessment of the situation is irrelevent?

the fact that daddy was even involved to protect his poor little boy should tell you all you need to know.

this kids supposed to be our starting QB, yet his daddy still has to come to his rescue? really?

oh poor colt....i guess it really is the teams fault he didn't persevere thru adversity. blame everyone else but the kid who was a late third round pick most people thought was a backup anyway.

If we were planning on trading Colt, then why they hell didn't we try harder to get one of the actual GOOD Qb's in the draft?

Have you even watched Weeden throw the ball? He has the arm of Derrick Horseballs Anderson except he's is more accurate and mature. The guy has an absolute cannon and pinpoint accuracy. I heard he completed around 70% of his passes in college.. too lazy this morning to verify that stat. You will happily eat crow on this one.

the fact that daddy was even involved to protect his poor little boy should tell you all you need to know.

this kids supposed to be our starting QB, yet his daddy still has to come to his rescue? really?

oh poor colt....i guess it really is the teams fault he didn't persevere thru adversity. blame everyone else but the kid who was a late third round pick most people thought was a backup anyway.

C'mon man. Our coaching staff/ training staff completely dropped the ball and put Colt into a potentially life altering situation due to incompetence. I'm not a doctor and could tell he had a concussion on TV just by how glassy his eyes were. You're basically giving Colt's dad shit for being concerned about his son's health. If you're going to give him shit it should be for not flying up to Cleveland and smacking Shumur around for yet another bone headed call.

sure they did. completely mis-handled that situation....and colts dad made it worse by piling on, because he completely mis-handled the situation as well.

the point, is just that colt is owed nothing. this idea that every QB gets 3 years no matter how god awful they look on the field is ridiculous. colts a good kid, will make a great man someday. whats done is done tho, and im not gonna have any more remorse for the kid than i did for frye, quinn, DA, dorsey, or any of the other marginally talented QB's that failed here. show some competence and you may get another shot. but the deer in headlights look doesn't buy you another year, or anymore favors.

Obviously, you are not a father or you would not make such a dumb statement..

Colt gets the blame for what Colt is responsible for: at times not throwing the ball perfectly, or finding the open receiver etc. The team gets the blame for all the things the team is to blame for: putting a piss poor product on the field around Colt...mishandling him....hiring a piss poor coach...mishandling his concussion issue. The problem seems however that the team wants to blame Colt for the things they are responsible for as well as the thing he was responsible for.

sure they did. completely mis-handled that situation....and colts dad made it worse by piling on, because he completely mis-handled the situation as well.

the point, is just that colt is owed nothing. this idea that every QB gets 3 years no matter how god awful they look on the field is ridiculous. colts a good kid, will make a great man someday. whats done is done tho, and im not gonna have any more remorse for the kid than i did for frye, quinn, DA, dorsey, or any of the other marginally talented QB's that failed here. show some competence and you may get another shot. but the deer in headlights look doesn't buy you another year, or anymore favors.

Odd that all those QBs were failures. Maybe there is more to it than just the failures of the QBs.

Add to the list: Tim Couch, Kelly Holcomb, Trent Dilfer, Jeff Garcia.

God knows that it is entirely possible that the Big Weed could easily join that list....in fact...almost predictable. Hopefully not.

how are they blaming colt? by finding his replacement?

dont get me wrong gipper....i was railing about these idiots when you still believed they were good hires. but youre clearly trying pretty hard to find things to give them shit about.

how is colt not responsible for the offensive production? he's the general...the QB, the guy who touches the ball every play thats not a center. he's a member of that piss-poor product you want to blame on the team, he's not exclusive of that issue. its a matter of perspective....was the QB given no weapons, or were the weapons deprived of a QB? so sorry, you can't blame people for a subjective opinion.

if you think the team should be built before the QB, thats a valid opinion. the common theme in your post is that colt struggled because of other peoples faults or mistakes. in a nutshell, thats called being an apologist. despite all the things going on around colt, he could have put that all to bed by not looking so hopeless out there. whereas, you wanna see a guy that wasn't given an idea situation to succeed, i see a guy that folds like a lawnchair when faced with adversity, a guy that doesn't have the tools right now to overcome his shortcomings physically. this is the first time in colts life he's had to deal with losing/adversity, and its not going well.

blame who ever you want....but its the right move whether colt was mis-managed or not. we had one of the worst offenses last year, and colt was a large part of that.

how are they blaming colt? by finding his replacement?

dont get me wrong gipper....i was railing about these idiots when you still believed they were good hires. but youre clearly trying pretty hard to find things to give them shit about.

I am not trying hard at all. I am falling over things that are in my way to give them shit about. I can't avoid the things that are obstacles that are the result of their blundering

how is colt not responsible for the offensive production? he's the general...the QB, the guy who touches the ball every play thats not a center. he's a member of that piss-poor product you want to blame on the team, he's not exclusive of that issue. its a matter of perspective....was the QB given no weapons, or were the weapons deprived of a QB? so sorry, you can't blame people for a subjective opinion.

if you think the team should be built before the QB, thats a valid opinion. the common theme in your post is that colt struggled because of other peoples faults or mistakes. in a nutshell, thats called being an apologist. despite all the things going on around colt, he could have put that all to bed by not looking so hopeless out there. whereas, you wanna see a guy that wasn't given an idea situation to succeed, i see a guy that folds like a lawnchair when faced with adversity, a guy that doesn't have the tools right now to overcome his shortcomings physically. this is the first time in colts life he's had to deal with losing/adversity, and its not going well.

blame who ever you want....but its the right move whether colt was mis-managed or not. we had one of the worst offenses last year, and colt was a large part of that.

Colt was thrown into the fire in his first start against Pittsburgh. He wasn't supposed to even see the feild in the 2010 season. He did however and earned victories against NO coming off a superbowl and NE who was a very good team. He nearly drove us the distance in the 4th quarter to beat the Jets, another good team... Colt is to blame for Stuckey's boneheaded fumble when he could have ran out of bounds for a Dawson chip shot?

2011- No off-season program, Colt leads the team in workouts in "Camp Colt". The Browns release Vickers for a marshmellow FB. The RT lets the rush through before any plays could develop. Rookie LG that still learning the NFL curve. The Browns lead the league in Dropped passes. The star HB misses most of the season or is otherwise unproductive. Practice squad RB Obi is the most reliable weapon, that should tell you something. Rookie head Coach with NO offensive coordinator calling the worst precitable and untimely plays imaginable... But yeah, it's all on Colt.

This year the coaching staff brings in a legitimate franchise Runningback the likes of which Cleveland hasn't seen since Jim Brown. The beefed up the OL substantially. They found a FB in Smelley that blocks and catches 3x better than the Marshmellow. They have and offseason program available this year and it's the 2nd year in the system. They hired a new OC which will help the QB to be successfull and the offense to run more efficiently.

They have to give Colt a chance to prove himself. I think if they do that they will find that Colt is a playmaker. He can flat out play if he is given the chance. If you say last season was his chance then I'd say he proved it. He had us in a lot of games last year and is one tough son of a bitch(no disrespect to Colt's Mom). I'm telling you what, you give Colt a legit chance to compete for the starting position and I think he'll win it flat out.

To all the people who think Colt is too short to play, he's only 2 inches shorter than Weeden. I think Colts arm is ample enough to get the job done. He can air it out when he wants to. He's got mad "touch" of his throws. Which is a problem I think we'll have with Weeden- Anyone remember, HeHe I throw hard Anderson? Well I do and we'll just have to see if he beams the runningback with 60mph fastballs on 5-10 yard passes. Remember Colt had the pinched nerve and I think that that has most likely healed 100 percent now and we'll truely get to see his arm strength this season... it's too bad that the FO has probably injuried his psyche now though...

Weeden is fine and will probably be good but I'm all in with Colt, at least until he proves to me that he doens't have "IT". As of yet he hasn't had the opportunity to prove it one way or another. If Colt can't get the job done then that's fine, go with Weeden and let's see if he gots "IT". But right now at this juncture, I don't think anyone can say truthfully one way or another if that is the case. I hope Colt gets a fair chance to compete and then we'll see what he's made of.

and i thought gipper was making excuses.....yikes.

whats the infatuation with the small pop-gun armed QB with freckles? you say he can air it out if he wants.....well, why doesn't he want to? because our WR's suck, or because they hang in the air so long its essentially a jump-ball everytime?

remember when he was 15 yards short of hillis in the end zone for a pick 6?

edit: every argument for colt revolves around one important aspect....that the situation be ideal for him to be evaluated. the reality tho, is that situations are never ideal. you play the cards you are dealt. again, if a QB requires an all-pro team around him to play well, chance are that QB isn't very good. good players find a way to push thru adversity and persevere....make the proverbial lemonade out of lemons....elevate the players around him. all the heart in the world wont give you the ability to throw a football on a rope.

edit2: we already went thru this same exact situation with quinn, to the point the board split. some could see that quinn wasn't a good QB, and wanted to cut ties before we wasted anymore time. others, thought he got a raw deal and just needed some help....made worse by the fact quinn was a browns fan. in the end, he's had the pleasure of never being anywhere near a starting lineup....

point being, 'dems da breaks. not every needs 32 games with an all-pro team to see how good or bad any given QB is.

Didn't he get leveled on that play? Or was that the "one" that he didn't get leveled on? Just curious...

whats the infatuation with the small pop-gun armed QB with freckles? you say he can air it out if he wants.....well, why doesn't he want to? because our WR's suck, or because they hang in the air so long its essentially a jump-ball everytime?

edit: every argument for colt revolves around one important aspect....that the situation be ideal for him to be evaluated. the reality tho, is that situations are never ideal. you play the cards you are dealt. again, if a QB requires an all-pro team around him to play well, chance are that QB isn't very good. good players find a way to push thru adversity and persevere....make the proverbial lemonade out of lemons....elevate the players around him. all the heart in the world wont give you the ability to throw a football on a rope.

edit2: we already went thru this same exact situation with quinn, to the point the board split. some could see that quinn wasn't a good QB, and wanted to cut ties before we wasted anymore time. others, thought he got a raw deal and just needed some help....made worse by the fact quinn was a browns fan. in the end, he's had the pleasure of never being anywhere near a starting lineup....

point being, 'dems da breaks. not every needs 32 games with an all-pro team to see how good or bad any given QB is.

You are probably too young to remember, but the Cleveland Browns have been through this before: they had the big tal strong armed QB who could throw a pea through a hurricane ....and yet it was the weak armed short QB who turned out to be the better QB. Can you say Mike Phipps and Brian Sipe.

Point being...just because you think you know the way things are doens't mean that is the way they are.

I am fine with going with Brandon Weeden.....just DO NOT think that the ineptness of this offensive team last year was all on the QB.

Those who think that and now think that a strong armed QB is going to be the panacea might are fools. They might be right, but then it is 50/50 that they aren't right. Here is the list of first round QBs 2004-2010:

1 2009 1 1 Matthew Stafford QB DET 2009 2011 Georgia

2 2009 1 5 Mark Sanchez QB NYJ 2009 2011 USC

3 2009 1 17 Josh Freeman QB TAM 2009 2011 Kansas St.

4 2008 1 3 Matt Ryan QB ATL 2008 2011 Boston Col.

5 2008 1 18 Joe Flacco QB BAL 2008 2011 Delaware

6 2007 1 1 JaMarcus Russell QB OAK 2007 2009 LSU

7 2007 1 22 Brady Quinn QB CLE 2007 2011 Notre Dame

8 2006 1 3 Vince Young QB TEN 2006 2011 Texas

9 2006 1 10 Matt Leinart QB ARI 2006 2011 USC

10 2006 1 11 Jay Cutler QB DEN 2006 2011 Vanderbilt

11 2005 1 1 Alex Smith QB SFO 2005 2011 Utah

12 2005 1 24 Aaron Rodgers QB GNB 2005 2011 California

13 2005 1 25 Jason Campbell QB WAS 2006 2011 Auburn

14 2004 1 1 Eli Manning QB SDG 2004 2011 Mississippi

15 2004 1 4 Philip Rivers QB NYG 2004 2011 North Carolina St.

16 2004 1 11 Ben Roethlisberger QB PIT 2004 2011

17 J.P. Losman QB BUF 2004 2011 Tulane

50/50

The point being? My point is, if Weeden were here last year through all that we went through as a team he would have fared no better than McCoy did. If you want the jist of it, trot Weeden out behind the same Oline, unlearn Pinkston to play at a rookie level, try to find a RT as bad as the one we had last year. You have to use Owen at FB. You've gotta convince the WR to drop the most passes in the league for a second straight year and Childress isn't allowed to help on offense. Then we'll see how good Weeden is compared to Colt. Just sayin. It's not fair to provide Weeden all the tools... Oh yeah, the weedster can't use Trent either. Like I was saying it's not fair to provide Weeden all the tools to be successful and proclaim him the prodigy while Colt had shit to work with and deem him a bust. Fair and equal is fair and equal. IMO.

If the Browns trade McCoy it will be because they know that they have screwed him over royally and that they owe him the opportunity to be able to do something with a team that is capable of utilizing his skills....and it will be a recognition that their coaching staff is not competent enough to utilize his skills.

And by the way, there is no telling if they are competent enough to utilize BW's skills either.

Hopefully they will fucking wise up and get a good receiver and a good RT to go along with BW and TR...because without those elements the Browns offense will continue to be trying to row upstream without a paddle.

I agree completely Gipper...

Not only is there questions about this staff lacking the ability to build around the Weedeaters strengths but he still has complete shit for a WR corp, i would also point out that just like mccoy weedy is a shotgun QB and had blackmon as a primary target and now he has an incompetent HC and nothing but a couple TEs to throw the ball to......

This will be either an unexpected incredible year or a complete bust, verdict yet unknown but i know which way i am leaning...

The point being? My point is, if Weeden were here last year through all that we went through as a team he would have fared no better than McCoy did. If you want the jist of it, trot Weeden out behind the same Oline, unlearn Pinkston to play at a rookie level, try to find a RT as bad as the one we had last year. You have to use Owen at FB. You've gotta convince the WR to drop the most passes in the league for a second straight year and Childress isn't allowed to help on offense. Then we'll see how good Weeden is compared to Colt. Just sayin. It's not fair to provide Weeden all the tools... Oh yeah, the weedster can't use Trent either. Like I was saying it's not fair to provide Weeden all the tools to be successful and proclaim him the prodigy while Colt had shit to work with and deem him a bust. Fair and equal is fair and equal. IMO.

Yes and no. Part of me wonders if our anemic play calling was due to Colt. I mean we rarely threw down field. It very well could be on our WR's, Colt or both. But one thing is for sure, the play calling has GOT to be a lot better this year, or it doesn't matter who we got in the draft. Give us RG3, Blackmon, Kalil, Richardson and with our pathetic play calling we had last year we would have been hard up to win even 6-7 games.

Last year was such a myriad of "Bad Things" it's really hard to place it on one thing. One thing is for sure our play calling has to get better. We can't drop 30+ passes again. We have to protect better. We need to stretch the field. Utilize our TE's more. and the list goes on and on and on and on...

Just curious, did Weeden make Blackmon or vice versa. Was Weeden a product of the system or can he make big boy throws?

Did Montana make Rice, or did Rice make Montana? Did I make my kids or did my wife make our kids... well technically it's a little bit of both.

Montana & Rice was a marriage made in NFL Heaven. Two competitors with huge work ethics. Problem is now a days we don't see those relationships develope. $$, like most real marriages, is the reason that relationships don't last in the NFL. Guys want paydays over wins. Guys want mansions and cars over Superbowls. It's shame really.

It's hard to have any vested interest in a player because give them enough time and a huge season, and someone with a bigger check is going to take them.

Honestly I think I would rather have Wallace as our backup then McCoy. All I keep thinking about is that game last season where Colt went down and they brought Seneca in to take over and he managed to move the ball downfield up to aobut the 10 yard line. Once he moved the ball 80 yards they pulled him out and put Colt back in. I think the first pass Colt threw was incomplete and the very next pass was an interception. It was then and there I decided I would rather see what Seneca can do for 3 or 4 games instead of Colt.

U have no idea if weeden would better. It stands to reason that with better QB play, the O would be better. Upgrade any position and the same holds true.

Would wr's be able to catch the ball if it was on time and accurate, rather than a late throw 10 feet too high with a linebacker ready to lay a lick?

Look, honestly I just want a fair competition and I want "The Best" QB on the field. I don't care if it's Colt or the Weedster really. I don't care who is a first or who is a third round pick. I want whoever gives us the best chance to win, that's all.

Just curious, did Weeden make Blackmon or vice versa. Was Weeden a product of the system or can he make big boy throws?

As a poke fan, and with a gun to my head, I'd have to say Blackmon made Weeden. Don't get me wrong Weeden is the most talented QB the pokes have had since Josh Fields (kind of a reverse Weeden, played football then went into baseball) but Blackmon definitely boosted Weeden's stats with his ability after the catch. Before everybody jumps me for being pissy about not getting Blackmon I only say Blackmon made Weeden with a gun to my head. I think their both going to be legit in the NFL and I'm glad we at least got one of them.

Archived