THE BROWNS BOARD

Travis Benjamin

TheClevelandSound

Solid pick. He has very solid hands, is an obvious burner, and can pick up a ton of YAC. From the highlights I've seen, he appears to go up into the air and attack the ball which is always a plus, and looks like he has some decent route running ability. That's what we need in this offense. Stephen Hill and Alshon Jeffery are guys that I like a lot, but they are much more suited for vertical passing attacks.

Still wish we would've stayed at 67 in the 3rd and taken DeVier Posey, who went 68. :(

This guy is FAST. He'll need some time to develop into a speedy #2 playing outside, if that's what we're going for. Speed, quickness, and ability to get separation...he's everything we needed. He can make Little better, just by being on the field opposite him and drawing attention.

And, whoever said he's Norwood, you're wrong. Norwood is a slot reciever. This guy is hopefully an outside burner that opens up the box for Richardson by forcing a safety deep.

I see another WR in the 6th or 7th coming... and a G at some point.

For those who think he's so undersized, he is 5' 10", 172 lbs (Combine measurements). DeSean Jackson is listed now at 5'10" 175 lbs & HIS Combine measurements in 2008 were 5' 9 3/4" & 169 lbs, so his size doesn't exactly disqualify him & I think Jackson has panned out ok. I like this pick a lot but, like EVERY pick, we'll see what happens down the road. One thing for sure is that he's a "field stretcher".

Mike

Yup, track speed guy who will stretch the field... Apparently a return guy as well, which makes me feel a little better about the pick.

http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/benjamin_travis00.html

2011 (SENIOR): Played in 11 games on the season, starting nine of them ... Ended his career as one of only six players in program history with more than 2,000 receiving yards, capping his career with 2,146 ... Tallied 3,874 all-purpose yards over the course of his career, good for third-best in program history ... Finished the season second on the team in a number of categories, including receiving yards (609), average receiving yards per game (55.4) and average yards per catch (14.9) ... Recorded three receiving touchdowns on the year, including a 77-yard strike against Virginia Tech ... Recorded season highs in both catches (8) and receiving yardage (99) against North Carolina ... Served as the Hurricanes' primary return man, recording all of the team's 11 punt returns with an average of 11.0 yards per return ... Also returned 25 kickoffs with an average of 23.7 yards per return, good for third in the conference...Four-year letterman.

2010 (JUNIOR): Set career highs in receptions (43) and receiving yards (743), both second on the team ... Led the team with a 17.3 yards per catch average ... Led the team in punt returns and punt return yardage, while scoring the team's only touchdown via punt return with a 79-yard return against Ohio State ... Totaled 924 all purpose yards ... Started nine of 13 games ... Had a season-high 127 yards in the win vs. Maryland ... Grabbed a season-high six catches in the win against Pittsburgh.

2009 (SOPHOMORE): Played in all 13 games for the Hurricanes ... Second-leading receiver with 501 yards, averaging 17.4 yards per catch ... Third in catches (29) and receiving touchdowns (4) ... Also returned nine punts for 57 yards with a long of 33 yards against Florida A&M ... Totaled 597 all-purpose yards (21 rush, 501 receiving, 57 punt return, 18 kickoff return) in 13 games ... Had a career-best 128 yard receiving game on four catches in the season opener at Florida State ... Started games against Wake Forest and Duke ... Hauled in a career-long 69-yard touchdown reception against Clemson and finished with 82 yards on three catches ... Had three receptions for 61 yards in the win against Oklahoma, including a 38-yard touchdown reception ... Caught the eventual game-winning touchdown against Wake Forest - a 13-yard grab in the fourth quarter ... Had a season-long 13-yard rush against Georgia Tech.

2008 (FRESHMAN): Played in 12 of 13 games, making five starts ... Fifth-leading receiver with 18 receptions for 293 yards ... Led the team in punt return yardage (181), kick return yardage (496) and yards per reception (16.3) while ranking second in all-purpose yards (1,012) and touchdowns (4) ... Started games against UCF, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia and Virginia Tech ... Caught a career-high four passes for 72 yards against Wake Forest ... Had a breakout game against Florida State, hauling in three receptions for 71 yards, including a career-long 51-yard reception ... Also added an 18-yard rushing TD and returned six kickoffs for 185 yards with a career-long 57 yarder ... His 274 all-purpose yards against the Seminoles was the most by a Hurricane since Edgerrin James had 310 all-purpose yards (299 rushing, 11 receiving) against UCLA in 1998 ... Completed a 17-yard pass to quarterback Jacory Harris on a double-reverse at Duke ... Also ran track for UM and participated in the 55m and 60m during the indoor season.

HIGH SCHOOL: Two-time All-Palm Beach County selection by Palm Beach Post ... Played on a state championship team as a junior and helped lead his team as a senior to an 11-2 record and the Region 4-3A finals ... As a senior, caught 40 passes for 655 yards and eight touchdowns ... In a game against Palm Beach Gardens, gained 339 total yards, with two touchdowns receiving and one each on punt and kickoff returns ... As a junior, caught 23 passes for 494 yards and seven touchdowns ... Coached by Willie Snead ... Ranked as the No. 48 player in Florida and the No. 42 wide receiver in the nation by Rivals.com ... Rated the No. 76 player in Florida and the No. 104 wide receiver by Scout.com ... Ranked the No. 21 wide receiver and the No. 144 player overall by ESPN.com ... Ranked 18th overall on the South Florida Top 25 by the Miami Herald ... Rated the No. 6 wide receiver in Florida by the Florida Times-Union.

Receiving G Rec Yards Yds/Rec Long TD Yds/G

2008 12 18 293 16.3 51 3 24.4

2009 13 29 501 17.3 69 4 38.5

2010 13 43 743 17.3 60 3 57.2

2011 11 41 609 14.9 77 3 55.4

TOTAL 49 131 2146 16.4 77 13 43.8

i'm pretty sure he will be used ala devin hester first couple years as return guy only not at wide reciever.

still, waiting for our first True Wide Reciever of the draft.

...very interesting the way that Holmgren said we will tell you about the wide recievers later tonight if we don't get any....i think there is a trade coming.

Miami has been excited about Benjamin forever; he never really panned out the way they planned. That's OK though. He seems like the typical guy who is better in the NFL than he is in college. Give Benjamin a QB who can actually throw the deep ball with accuracy (Weeden) and you have something. I'm not expecting anything amazing (probably only 20 to 30 catches, but I bet his total TDs, given his return ability, to be four or five. I'll take four touchdowns from my fourth rounder anyday.

I got a chance to see this guy play a lot down here in Florida and I believe he has the ABILITY to be a game changer just as Desean Jackson is for Philly. The guy is lightning fast with the ball in his hands, just never had the QB to get it to him.

I can see him as a DeSean Jackson type receiver as well. Although Jackson went in the 2nd, their still similar. Both about 5'10" 170lbs, Jackson's 40 time was 4.35 compared to Benjamin's 4.36. But Benjamin's vertical is 38, Jackson had 34...guess the only question is can Benjamin run routes, get open, and catch as well? he definitely has the potential. I just don't think he can be that good, he was picked in the 4th. So, really there had to be reasons why that happened...

I can see him as a DeSean Jackson type receiver as well. Although Jackson went in the 2nd, their still similar. Both about 5'10" 170lbs, Jackson's 40 time was 4.35 compared to Benjamin's 4.36. But Benjamin's vertical is 38, Jackson had 34...guess the only question is can Benjamin run routes, get open, and catch as well? he definitely has the potential. I just don't think he can be that good, he was picked in the 4th. So, really there had to be reasons why that happened...

The reasons why it happened was more than likely because 1: Jackson had more production at Cal than Benjamin had at Miami and 2: the Miami scandal really didn't help too many U players in this draft.

I don't see too many negatives with his game when I watch his highlights. He catches the ball away from his body and he made some good sideline catches. He rounds his routes a bit but I only saw that happen on the longer routes he ran. I don't think anyone is going to claim that he is going to come in and take over a starting WR spot, but you can tell that he is ready to come in and help right away and help stretch the field and keep safeties honest.

Another thing wondered like many of you was why we took Benjamin over his teammate Streeter who is 6'5 and ran a 4.4. After looking at it I can see why. While Streeter did better than Benjamin last season, it was Streeters only season of production, the previous two season he only had a total of 6 catches where as Benjamin produced every single year he played in Miami. While Streeter is also fast, he is only fast on the straight line. Once he cuts and moves around he slows down while Benjamin keeps his speed. Streeter is actually much more of a raw prospect than Benjamin and reminds me more of Mitchel... and we already have him.

Whipple was also a big reason why we went after Benjamin. Apparently he told Heckert and Shurmer he though Benjamin could come right in a be a factor in the offense. He admitted at while at Miami they couldn't use him properly because of the QB and lack of successful WR coaches.

Streeter has size and speed, this makes no sense. He won't be able to block... I thought we re-signed Norwood to do what they picked this guy for?

Can Norwood go long for 40 yards in 4.36?

That is what they got this guy to do: stretch the field, take a CB and a safety out of the picture 15-20 yards downfield and let Little/Moore et al get those catches....and to, about 2-3 times per game catch that 40 yarder.

Everyone is saying we have a QB that can now make that throw....let's now make that throw!

Richardson wears 33. Reminiscent of his college number, a good number for a strong guy, and puts him +1 over Jim Browns 32

Weeden is starting QB, gets his 3 number

Benjamin gets 7 and nice lucky number for a speedster.

Give Benjamin 83. I still prefer my receivers to have a receivers number, not a kicker's number.

Archived