THE BROWNS BOARD

Separation Of State And History

calfoxwc

It seems 90% of the conversations here turn into some sort of name calling/insulting. Usually between Cal/Bunker and Woody.

To be fair I just throw in insults when I'm making a point. Trying to get through to those two will make you do that.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're allowed to lash out at each other as long as it clever though?

Well in a way I suppose. Sarcasm and banter can work in conversations, but vile language, for example telling me to pull my head out of my azz goes overboard. I have limits on what I'm willing to put up with from other people.

This is just a board where people can come and interact, I don't mind disagreements.

To quote groucho marx " Where do you usually go?"

:)

You need to realize that these kids are under the impression that they are the first ones to figure out there are inconsistencies in the Bible.

They feel a need to hate somebody and there aren't many minorities left that are hip to despise.

That means if you are christian over 30 or work for a living.....

They can't see the irony in the fact that they hate Christians because they seem intolerant.

WSS

Kids need the example of adults setting limits.

In a discussion board without limits it is up to individuals to set their own standards.

I love Groucho.

BTW, if I was a member of a protected minority do you think it would make any difference in the kid's behavior?

Kids need the example of adults setting limits.

In a discussion board without limits it is up to individuals to set their own standards.

I love Groucho.

BTW, if I was a member of a protected minority do you think it would make any difference in the kid's behavior?

Not a doubt in my mind, my dear.

WSS

Freedom of religion includes freedom from religion. There's also separation of church and state. Idk what your post had to do with anything because I do agree people should be able to practice whatever they want, but bringing it into public schools is a problem. I stick by what I said earlier, if they said "this is what some people believe" then showed the commandments I'm fine with it.

I wonder what the animal cruelty angle was in that sacrifice case.

and you mentioned non Muslims living in a Muslim country, I think we could do a little better with Muslims living in our country, since we are supposed to have freedom of religion and all. It just seems like there have been a few instances where they were not treated equally because of religion.

Just an FYI, there is no separation clause in the Constitution. Its a made up idea that is more of an urban legend than truth. Jefferson did voice HIS opinion on the matter in response to a letter he received. However, guess where Mr Jefferson was during the Constitutional convention? In France, across the ocean. He was not present during these debates. The 2nd amendment prevents the ESTABLISHMENT of a state religion, it DOES NOT separate religion from government. These are NOT the same principles.

Just an FYI, there is no separation clause in the Constitution. Its a made up idea that is more of an urban legend than truth. Jefferson did voice HIS opinion on the matter in response to a letter he received. However, guess where Mr Jefferson was during the Constitutional convention? In France, across the ocean. He was not present during these debates. The 2nd amendment prevents the ESTABLISHMENT of a state religion, it DOES NOT separate religion from government. These are NOT the same principles.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, this is where the "separation" between church and state resides. When a Gov't entity(state/local/fed) is actually used to encourage one religion over another, in essences it discourages the practice of other religions.

p.s. its 1st ammendment, the 2nd is the right to bear arms

Oh I didn't know that. It's still a rely good principles though

Well in a way I suppose. Sarcasm and banter can work in conversations, but vile language, for example telling me to pull my head out of my azz goes overboard. I have limits on what I'm willing to put up with from other people.

This is just a board where people can come and interact, I don't mind disagreements.

Yet telling me I'm sniffing my own farts is so much more mature of you. This guy (girl?). :rolleyes: You don't have an answer to the questions I ask you, so you say "Conversation over," as if you're taking the high road, when you really said the same type of crap about me two posts earlier. So are you going to answer my question or keep being an idiot?

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, this is where the "separation" between church and state resides. When a Gov't entity(state/local/fed) is actually used to encourage one religion over another, in essences it discourages the practice of other religions.

p.s. its 1st ammendment, the 2nd is the right to bear arms

The establishment clause prohibits a state founded religion like the Church of England. And prohibiting the free exercise is what it means, the state cannot prohibit you from practicing voodoo if thats what you believe. It does not mean that you cannot display the 10 commandments on public grounds as long as its not advocating people to use Christianity.

The establishment clause prohibits a state founded religion like the Church of England. And prohibiting the free exercise is what it means, the state cannot prohibit you from practicing voodoo if thats what you believe. It does not mean that you cannot display the 10 commandments on public grounds as long as its not advocating people to use Christianity.

Of course in reality except for a few innocuous traditions the free exercise has never been a freedom anybody could count on.

WSS

Really.... Ever?

Yes woody, really ever.

What religious rituals way outside the norm of u s law have been permitted?

I don't even in the aforementioned voodoo The animal sacrifice and rituals using parts of the human body are controlled by health laws.

We went to war against the polygamist mormons.

WSS

Actually displaying Christian(or any religion) does advocate people to follow Christian beliefs. The 10 commandments have gotten a pass in certain places(courthouses)based on the fact that most "Western" cultures formed laws based off of these.

Actually displaying Christian(or any religion) does advocate people to follow Christian beliefs. The 10 commandments have gotten a pass in certain places(courthouses)based on the fact that most "Western" cultures formed laws based off of these.

Especially the parts about rape and coveting.

Wait, what are we arguing about now?

Didn't we kinda agree it was ok to use the ten commandments as long as it didn't say "this is the word of god"or something like that.

Are we now arguing the religion should be in schools or something crazy like that?

Wait, what are we arguing about now?

Didn't we kinda agree it was ok to use the ten commandments as long as it didn't say "this is the word of god"or something like that.

Are we now arguing the religion should be in schools or something crazy like that?

I don't really know about everybody else Woody, but I do remember that you and I agreed on that. I think maybe that was late at night and the next morning a bunch of people suffering with a hangovers got on line and completely ignored our wise decision.

I don't really know about everybody else Woody, but I do remember that you and I agreed on that. I think maybe that was late at night and the next morning a bunch of people suffering with a hangovers got on line and completely ignored our wise decision.

35be7y.jpg

Lady Z, I'm still waiting to hear your thoughts on the murder of abortion doctors by Christian extremists and how these people are any different than those who commit honor killings.

If you are a young person, say under the age of 30, your life expectancy is about 90 years. Get it?

And I apologize for saying you were huffing vapor trails, I thought they were the white stuff air planes leave in the sky. Who Knew they were farts?

You kids, what will you think of next?

Lady Z, I'm still waiting to hear your thoughts on the murder of abortion doctors by Christian extremists and how these people are any different than those who commit honor killings.

Not to butt in but of course you know that's not the same thing.

If you believe abortion is murder you are taking out someone who is committed hundreds of murders and plans on more.

And there have been how many?

Didn't we all dance a jig when osama got murdered?

WSS

Not to butt in but of course you know that's not the same thing.

If you believe abortion is murder you are taking out someone who is committed hundreds of murders and plans on more.

And there have been how many?

Didn't we all dance a jig when osama got murdered?

WSS

In both cases, what these people are imposing their justice on are their respective religion's cardinal sins. I don't think that's okay in ANY case. Do you really think that a family that puts their daughter to death after she refuses to marry her rapist is morally above an abortion doctor? It's all Dark Age religious reasoning to me.

And I apologize for saying you were huffing vapor trails, I thought they were the white stuff air planes leave in the sky. Who Knew they were farts?

Lol, from what other orifice might I sniff my own vaportrail?

vapor trail,

I'll say again, I didn't know "vapor trail" actually meant your farts. The last thing I want to do is get into an anatomical discussion of farts, or the physiology of inhaling farts or the organic and inorganic chemical composition of farts, or a psychological analysis of how it makes you feel if you huff your farts, or the psychiatric implications of being centered on your farts.

Just be happy that you taught me a new definition for "vapor trail".

LOL!

Methane and sulfur-containing compounds. :|

Produced by bacteria in large intestine and the rectum. Damn near killed him.

Say, do you think you could replace your avatar with a picture of a fart? If any more old ladies get on this board it might clue them in that "vapor trail" has two meanings.

Say, do you think you could replace your avatar with a picture of a fart? If any more old ladies get on this board it might clue them in that "vapor trail" has two meanings.

Suppose it does need changing. Not quite a fart, but I think it works. Who's your avatar?

Suppose it does need changing. Not quite a fart, but I think it works. Who's your avatar?

My avatar is an actress from the 30's and 40's. Merle Oberon. When I was young people told me I looked like her. But of course, today I don't look like her anymore because she's dead.

Love your new avatar! Is that the sign for a methane/sulfur compound?

I found a picture of a fart too.

post-16898-0-74083500-1336597305_thumb.jpg

Archived