THE BROWNS BOARD

But Who Will Weeden Throw To?

Dick Mellon

Marc Sessler at NFL dot com asks, "Browns grabbed their QB, but who will he throw to?"

"It remains to be seen to whom the rookie quarterback will throw. After the Browns selected Richardson and Weeden, many expected the team to upgrade its abysmal receiving corps. The failure to do so remains a baffling footnote to an otherwise solid haul."

"With wide receivers Stephen Hill, Alshon Jefferey, Ryan Broyles and Reuben Randle still on the board in the second round, Cleveland picked a Right Tackle"

"With the receiver class shrinking at a rapid clip, the Browns selected defensive tackle John Hughes with the 87th pick. Hughes was surprised and admitted he didn't expect to be drafted."

"The Browns finally grabbed speedster Travis Benjamin in the fourth round, but it's almost as if the rival Cincinnati Bengals -- taking receivers Mohamed Sanu and Marvin Jones -- stole Cleveland's playbook."

"The Browns spent last season telling the world their young wideouts were prepared to break out. Instead, they led the NFL in drops and made life impossible for McCoy. Weeden's size and arm strength are long overdue for the Browns in the AFC North, but the question remains: Who will he throw to?"

Interesting take on the draft. The John Hughes pick in the third round has everybody scratching their heads. CLE is considered to be solid at that position with John Hughes expected to be a third teamer. Virtually all of the draft experts seemed to have forecast Hughes as a very-late-round-pick or most likely an undrafted free agent signing.

Perhaps Pat Shurmer, having never accomplished anything in his life felt attracted to Hughes, who, like Shurmer has never done anything notable in football.

Little

Cribbs

MoMass

Norwood

Mitchell

Benjamin

Moore

Watson

Cameron

Richardson

Smelley

They are young and will do what's gotta be done. They will make plays this year. Don't worry about the Browns, instead you should worry about who the fuck is going to try and stop them! Cleveland Browns are going to the Playoffs, maybe even with HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE! Get Ready!!!

The Browns SHOULD have beaten the Bengals twice last year, both times the cat escaped from the bag by the skin of it's teeth.

The Browns played both the Steelers and Ravens tough last year and nearly won, this year they won't know what hit them!

Browns should win the division this season... they'll at least come in a close second!

Uh oh, an NFL.com writer says we had a bad draft before even one of them buckles their chin-strap.........Might as well sell the team, and force em out of Cleveland.

These wr need articles are fn stupid. We have young wrs already and can improve on the field. What the fuck is a rookie 2nd or 3d rounder going to do that our past 2nds and 3rds cant. We will be fine. Now that our line has been addressed and added TR, our wrs and te's will be even better.

Don't worry about the Browns, instead you should worry about who the fuck is going to try and stop them! Cleveland Browns are going to the Playoffs, maybe even with HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE! Get Ready!!!

God bless your unrelenting optimism Poetic, you blissful bastard. And props for hanging in there and taking all the abuse you took over TRich. You were right. Now maybe you'll be right on this one. God I hope so.

Because you need a WR in the 1st 2nd or 3rd rounds to be good. Ask Victor Cruz and the New York Giants. Oh wait....

Or Marquis Colston in the 7th. Yes your odds go up if you draft wrs higher- but I haven't forgotten Willis Adams or Steve Holden. Steeler guy should recall Mike Wallace- third round, Whines Hard- third round, Antonio Brown- sixth round.

Little may have had a lot of drops, but he has a lot of potential. With a year in the system and being back in football i'm expecting better things from him. Ghoolie's right, we didn't have a QB that could feed our WRs anyways. No one feared McCoy's arm so everyone stacked the box because he'd only throw 5 yard passes.

I was also impressed with how well Cribbs did. He may not be the fastest or run the best routes, but he made some really athletic catches. He's getting older but he's still a good athlete.

I think some of you guys really need to purge your brains of the muck.

The biggest blame for our limp passing game is McCoy, who cannot hit a reciever right at his break to save his ass.

Little has impressed me several times going up for the ball. DO we have our Jerry Rice? Of course not, but again the difference between these speedsters is largely a toss up.

I think we will se a dramatic change in our passing game. Who knows what FA we may find.

Relax, we had a good draft. Nobody can fill all their holes in one draft.

UHHHH wheres Goolie and what have you done with him??? This is not the Goolie I know....

I think some of you guys really need to purge your brains of the muck.

The biggest blame for our limp passing game is McCoy, who cannot hit a reciever right at his break to save his ass.

Little has impressed me several times going up for the ball. DO we have our Jerry Rice? Of course not, but again the difference between these speedsters is largely a toss up.

I think we will se a dramatic change in our passing game. Who knows what FA we may find.

Relax, we had a good draft. Nobody can fill all their holes in one draft.

That is right Ghoolie. The Browns had major holes on this team at QB, RB, WR, RT, LB, S, CB.

Thanks to the Falcons we had 3 picks in the top 37 and filled 3 major holes.

I don't know what more one can ask for in a draft.

If criticism is due about not getting a top WR, it should be directed to the Browns Free Agent policy, not its draft.

Benjamin fits precisely what the Browns need at WR: speed. The hope is that a 4th rounder can bring not only the needed speed, but the ability to get open and catch. Throw him a 40 yarder about twice a game. That is all I ask. If he can handle that, great. That is what we need.

when u play chuck n duck offense u dont need anyone who can stretch the field.

Yes, the other element is that Shurmur must not be so timid. Maybe with Childress there it will help. Maybe Shurmur won't coach scared any more.

Too much concern here.

1. Richardson makes a D respect the run.

2. Richardson is a nice option out of the back field through the air- now your making these OLB respect the flats.

3. Weeden can challenge the whole field Safties have to give a cushion

(2 and 3 make guys like Little and Cribbs dangerous- turn the intermediate pass game into longer gains now- catch and run (both are excellent at it).

4. Schwartz and our young oline is arguably the best unit we've had in 20 years.

5. Little sat out a year- now comes into year 2 (usually breakout year for WRs) after doing a respectable job.

6. Overall youth with the guys mentioned.

7. Evan Moore when utilized correctly is a great option. Ben Watson is proven.

We may still need a True #1 WR after this season but there are some nice pieces and a better set-up now for success than we had this past December.

Too much concern here.

2. Richardson is a nice option out of the back field through the air- now your making these OLB respect the flats.

(2 and 3 make guys like Little and Cribbs dangerous- turn the intermediate pass game into longer gains now- catch and run (both are excellent at it).

4. Schwartz and our young oline is arguably the best unit we've had in 20 years.

5. Little sat out a year- now comes into year 2 (usually breakout year for WRs) after doing a respectable job.

We may still need a True #1 WR after this season but there are some nice pieces and a better set-up now for success than we had this past December.

True, and if it is such a big deal, then the touts can all start looking at this list. 2013 draft top WR prospects:

Terrance Williams WR 1 Baylor rSr 6-1 190

Cobi Hamilton WR 2 Arkansas Sr 6-3 209

Ryan Swope WR 3 Texas A&M rSr 6-0 206

Tavon Austin WR 4 West Virginia Sr 5-09 176

Tavarres King WR 5 Georgia rSr 6-1 192

Aaron Mellette WR 6 Elon rSr 6-3 214

Keenan Davis WR 7 Iowa Sr 6-2 215

Emory Blake WR 8 Auburn Sr 6-1 197

Quinton Patton WR 9 Louisiana Tech rSr 6-2 195

Theo Riddick WR 10 Notre Dame Sr 5-11 198

Roy Roundtree WR 11 Michigan rSr 6-0 178

Markus Wheaton WR 12 Oregon State Sr 6-0 178

Brice Butler WR 13 San Diego State rSr 6-3 195

Dan Buckner WR 14 Arizona rSr 6-3 220

T.J. Moe WR 15 Missouri Sr 5-11 195

Conner Vernon WR 16 Duke Sr 6-1 195

Chad Bumphis WR 17 Mississippi State Sr 5-10 200

Russell Shepard WR 18 LSU Sr 6-0 185

Erik Highsmith WR 19 North Carolina Sr 6-2 190

Mike Shanahan WR 20 Pittsburgh rSr 6-4 225

I suspect the Redskins already have their sights set on that last guy on the list.

The haul next year doesn't seem to be anything like this year.

Actually after Floyd this draft was a class with alot of 2-4 round talent at WR. I wouldn't call Hill or the kid from Baylor #1 WRs which is what we MAY need. Lots of complimentary WRs, which is what we have to some extent.

And This list left off probably the best overall WR talent - the kid from USC forget his name but the guy caught over 100 passes last year. Is the list above just Seniors?

Actually after Floyd this draft was a class with alot of 2-4 round talent at WR. I wouldn't call Hill or the kid from Baylor #1 WRs which is what we MAY need. Lots of complimentary WRs, which is what we have to some extent.

And This list left off probably the best overall WR talent - the kid from USC forget his name but the guy caught over 100 passes last year. Is the list above just Seniors?

Yes, it appears to be just Seniors. So, its true, maybe the best that will be available are not actually on that list.

Outside of Kendall Wright, this draft was full of good size receivers with good speed, though.

Jeffery, Randle, Broyles, Hill, Floyd, Blackmon- all bigger receivers with decent to above average speed and above average catching ability.

I just feel that the upside seems to be a lot higher in this group of receivers compared to those coming out next season thus far.

Uh oh, an NFL.com writer says we had a bad draft before even one of them buckles their chin-strap.........Might as well sell the team, and force em out of Cleveland.

Yes, I tend to agree to some extent. Those NFL dot com writers seem to often be grasping for straws in the off season, as they desperately try to write about football when there is no football! lol!

With an improved line, and a strong arm, I think we will be fine. This dude didn't see McCoy play at the end of the season apparently.

Huh? McCoy didn't play, "at the end of the season."

After CLE lost in weeks 12, 13, and 14, McCoy didn't dress for weeks 15, 16, and 17.

Are you talking about Mike McCoy of the Toronto Blue Jays?

He had a shitty season too and got sent down to AAA.

Maybe he is talking about Gerald McCoy, Defensive Tackle at Tampa?

He had a shitty season too, and didn't play at all ofter week 9.

None of the McCoy's in pro sports did well last season.

Too much concern here.

I totally agree.

Keep in mind that Richardson is also an excellent blocker & coupled with an improved O-line allows a "non-blocking" TE like Moore to be used more frequently to showcase his pass catching talent.

Mike

The best WR's in football last year who weren't drafted are coming out as underclassmen - Rob Woods at USC, Keenan Allen at Cal, Marquess Wilson at Washington State. All would look good catching from Weeden.

This year's Browns WR are going to be underrated but perhaps with the speedster on the outside, there will be space. Hope he can run lots of go routes, with the occasional double move.

The best WR's in football last year who weren't drafted are coming out as underclassmen - Rob Woods at USC, Keenan Allen at Cal, Marquess Wilson at Washington State. All would look good catching from Weeden.

This year's Browns WR are going to be underrated but perhaps with the speedster on the outside, there will be space. Hope he can run lots of go routes, with the occasional double move.

What has made you think Travis Benjamin is even going to see the field? He'll be a special teams contributor but I'll be surprised if he finds his way in to your starting rotation. Shocked even.

True, and if it is such a big deal, then the touts can all start looking at this list. 2013 draft top WR prospects:

Terrance Williams WR 1 Baylor rSr 6-1 190

Cobi Hamilton WR 2 Arkansas Sr 6-3 209

Ryan Swope WR 3 Texas A&M rSr 6-0 206

Tavon Austin WR 4 West Virginia Sr 5-09 176

Tavarres King WR 5 Georgia rSr 6-1 192

Aaron Mellette WR 6 Elon rSr 6-3 214

Keenan Davis WR 7 Iowa Sr 6-2 215

Emory Blake WR 8 Auburn Sr 6-1 197

Quinton Patton WR 9 Louisiana Tech rSr 6-2 195

Theo Riddick WR 10 Notre Dame Sr 5-11 198

Roy Roundtree WR 11 Michigan rSr 6-0 178

Markus Wheaton WR 12 Oregon State Sr 6-0 178

Brice Butler WR 13 San Diego State rSr 6-3 195

Dan Buckner WR 14 Arizona rSr 6-3 220

T.J. Moe WR 15 Missouri Sr 5-11 195

Conner Vernon WR 16 Duke Sr 6-1 195

Chad Bumphis WR 17 Mississippi State Sr 5-10 200

Russell Shepard WR 18 LSU Sr 6-0 185

Erik Highsmith WR 19 North Carolina Sr 6-2 190

Mike Shanahan WR 20 Pittsburgh rSr 6-4 225

I suspect the Redskins already have their sights set on that last guy on the list.

No Robinson?

Archived