THE BROWNS BOARD

Obama Comes Out For Gay Marriage

OBAMA: I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don’t Ask Don’t Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The president stressed that this is a personal position, and that he still supports the concept of states deciding the issue on their own. But he said he’s confident that more Americans will grow comfortable with gays and lesbians getting married, citing his own daughters’ comfort with the concept.

“It’s interesting, some of this is also generational,” the president continued. “You know when I go to college campuses, sometimes I talk to college Republicans who think that I have terrible policies on the economy, on foreign policy, but are very clear that when it comes to same sex equality or, you know, sexual orientation that they believe in equality. They are much more comfortable with it. You know, Malia and Sasha, they have friends whose parents are same-sex couples. There have been times where Michelle and I have been sitting around the dinner table and we’re talking about their friends and their parents and Malia and Sasha, it wouldn’t dawn on them that somehow their friends’ parents would be treated differently. It doesn’t make sense to them and frankly, that’s the kind of thing that prompts a change in perspective.”

Ballsy.

Who needs the deep South vote anyway lol

I would just add that Lincoln's biggest mistake was preserving the Union. And BTW, what he did was unconstitutional.

I can't even imagine how much more advanced and progressive the USA could have been without the South and her Democratic Party KKK 'tards dragging us down. .

Cheers for Prez Peace Prize and his personal conclusion. It still doesn't make marriage a right for anybody until the Supremes or an executive order says it is a right.

Why is Obama saying he thinks two gay people should be able to get married a ploy to get the gay vote? Why is he not able to actually believe that?

Are conservatives so thrown back by someone supporting gays that they think it most be a scheme

I would just add that Lincoln's biggest mistake was preserving the Union. And BTW, what he did was unconstitutional.

I can't even imagine how much more advanced and progressive the USA could have been without the South and her Democratic Party KKK 'tards dragging us down. .

Cheers for Prez Peace Prize and his personal conclusion. It still doesn't make marriage a right for anybody until the Supremes or an executive order says it is a right.

You are right, it was unconstitutional. As for the other part, I think you have it backwards. I think it would be a far better country if states like California were expelled from the union.

It'll fire up partisans on both sides. We'll see what happens in the middle.

There is no middle on this issue. You are for or against....like abortion.

You are right, it was unconstitutional. As for the other part, I think you have it backwards. I think it would be a far better country if states like California were expelled from the union.

Now that is a good idea!

I moved to California from North Carolina. It was and still is culture shock! These Californians are totally nuts!

Just living here made me develop a serious medical condition that allowed me to qualify for medical marijuana.

Which states does your ideal Union comprise of?

Moi?

I would throw out cities, or at least disenfranchise them, and keep the states they're in. But if not for the beauty of California and the medical marijuana I'd probably throw out California.

Detroit, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Boulder Colorado, Denver, Chicago, District of Columbia, New York City, Boston, Wilmington DE, Oakland CA, Hollywood CA, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh.

I'd keep Ann Arbor because that's where Woody is. And I'd keep the city you happen to be in.

Here's my ideal America: America.

You guys really can't handle a little diversity at all, can you? Every state has it's good and it's bad.

If you're going to argue for the dissolution of the union, then don't call yourself America. You're something else.

OK Brownie, your city is out.

You guys really can't handle a little diversity at all, can you? Every state has it's good and it's bad.

If you're going to argue for the dissolution of the union, then don't call yourself America. You're something else.

Oh, get over yourself....it's going to happen no matter what I say. I am not calling for it, I just am realistic and see the seeds are in place.

As for diversity, get over that as well. To me, diversity is the problem. People don't like that and I am not talking about it as you are in your mamby pamsy world thinking this guy from Tennessee doesn't like Blacks or Jews or whoever(I'll be honest, I do watch Muslims with a frown, but that's another discussion). I am talking about the haywire country we live in....diversity is what has caused the divide. Get it??

We no longer work together. You don't have to like the guy down the street or on the next block, but you better learn to work with them.

Diversity of culture, politics, economics, etc. creates even more divide and sooner or later something is going to break....and Bubba, it's breaking...and to educate you on Southern culture, calling you Bubba isn't a insult round these parts, though I know in other areas of the country Bubba is used as a insult....insulting Southern tradition, but anyway, I wanted to clear that up for you. If I wanted to insult you I would have called you peckerhead, or going back to my days in Cleveland, a dumb MF.....but let me be clear, I am not saying that. For now, it's Bubba.

I might have to hang in this room more, just to keep a few of you straight on how it is.

>>Good for him, surprised it was during an election yr.>>

Clearly he did not do this from a position of strength.

Biden backed him into a corner as did the media speculation of him playing cat and mouse with this issue and the November election.

If somebody said, for example, he was personally in favor of 'Choice' but believes in the law, he would be labeled a coward.

To me, Obama is a coward who needs to rally his base due to the numerous missteps and mis-fortune over the past few weeks.

Politics at it's finest.

Heck, your fawning is very unbecoming.

>>If you're going to argue for the dissolution of the union, then don't call yourself America. You're something else.>>

Is dissolution of the union and support for states rights mutually exclusive.

After all we ARE the United STATES.

Anything not specifically given to the power of the federal government in the Constitution (I know I am - perhaps loosely - paraphrasing so dont get all caught up in technical ship)

Romney: "I do not favor marriage between people of the same gender, and I do not favor civil unions if they are identical to marriage other than by name," Romney told KDVR. "My view is the domestic partnership benefits, hospital visitation rights, and the like are appropriate but that the others are not."

Why is Obama saying he thinks two gay people should be able to get married a ploy to get the gay vote? Why is he not able to actually believe that?

Are conservatives so thrown back by someone supporting gays that they think it most be a scheme

so where was that sentiment when Obama ran as a moderate in 2008? just another fact to show how many people were cajoled into voting for him....

Hmmm

Seems like we've heard "love it or leave it" before.....

Hard to tell where the yellow ends and the red begins.…

....Buddy.

:D

WSS

Romney: "I do not favor marriage between people of the same gender, and I do not favor civil unions if they are identical to marriage other than by name," Romney told KDVR. "My view is the domestic partnership benefits, hospital visitation rights, and the like are appropriate but that the others are not."

And you claim Romney is a diabolical lyer who will do anything for positive outcomes at any moment.

You putting your idol in his category?

And you claim Romney is a diabolical lyer who will do anything for positive outcomes at any moment.

You putting your idol in his category?

I actually think we're now at the point where both men are expressing what they actually think about gay marriage. Romney has never been for it, and the Mormon Church's official position is dead set against it. Obama has either come around to being for it, or more like has been for it for some time and hasn't admitted it publicly for political reasons.

I'm still not sure he should have admitted publicly for political reasons, but we'll see how it plays. One thing is sure - just about nobody was buying his "evolving" routine, and especially among his core supporters it was starting to make him look like a regular politician, and not the leader he sold himself as.

And just fuck off with the "hero" and "idol" crap. Who is that for? Bunker? Be better than that. Especially since you can't seem to show me where I've fawned.

Archived