THE BROWNS BOARD

This May Be Stupid, But

I mean think about it...A QB with an arm and accuracy, a stout O-Line, Good-Great running game, serviceable WR's, and a top 10 defense. That sounds like a pretty fucking good team to me. I mean the only weaknesses on this team are WR's and LB's and Donovan McNabb went to Conference championships without elite receivers so lets go Browns 2012 season FUCK YEAH!!! B)

you are correct.

that was stupid.

I mean think about it...A QB with an arm and accuracy, a stout O-Line, Good-Great running game, serviceable WR's, and a top 10 defense. That sounds like a pretty fucking good team to me. I mean the only weaknesses on this team are WR's and LB's and Donovan McNabb went to Conference championships without elite receivers so lets go Browns 2012 season FUCK YEAH!!! B)

I don't think it's that stupid. If Weeden starts nailing it right out of the gate and can stay on it, I think anything is possible.

A tragic mid-air collision between the Ravens and Steelers team jets in week 7 wouldn't hurt either.

You're just jealous.

yeah, that's it.

i mean DAMN! why can't my team reach epic levels of suck-titude that the browns have obtained for the past quarter century?

congrats, you have the second worst professional team in all of sports besides the pirates (and it could be EASILY argued that you have the WORST team due to the fact that the NFL has a salary cap).

yeah, that's it.

i mean DAMN! why can't my team reach epic levels of suck-titude that the browns have obtained for the past quarter century?

congrats, you have the second worst professional team in all of sports besides the pirates (and it could be EASILY argued that you have the WORST team due to the fact that the NFL has a salary cap).

Congrats for wasting your time on a rival teams message board, would you like an award for this accomplishment.

yeah, that's it.

Congrats, you are the king of internet trolls.look-at-him-look-at-him-and-laugh.gif

With Weeden a the helm I could see alot of things change positively. The Browns, if they all frickin stay healthy, would be a formidable foe for EVERY game we play.

Weeden needs protection from our offensive line, which has been added to via draft, and it certainly should be a solid performing O line.

Richardson MUST be utilized. Call plays that fit him, his style, use him on screens, MULTIPLE passes to him. and PLEASE stay healthy T Rich

D is shaping up to be Elite. If our defensive rookies play as well as past ones we've drafted, this should be a defense of studs. notice i say "shaping up", not elite just yet.

Shmurmer and Childress, the ball is in their court. Utilize your freakin talent, if this Browns offense gets rolling, the defense will do its job (as it did last year, the D was about solid all year, give or take HOU and TEN.

I agree that's it's utterly pathetic that Cleveland can't even best Pittsburgh in having the worst excuse for a professional sports franchise.

To quote Jim Mora: "What's that? Ah -- Playoffs? Don't talk about -- playoffs?! You kidding me?! Playoffs?! I just hope we can win a game! Another game!"

You just lost your defensive star Phil Taylor for the season and what have the Browns done exactly to improve their defense. Signed a couple of second/third string lineman to try to shore up the run defense. You may be able to run the ball and run the clock this year, but you need points to win. I don't see any wide-out playmakers on your roster.

Rushing a QB into action the first year is typically a recipe for disaster. Sure Roethlisberger and Dalton did pretty well, but they had alot of other stars to ease the process along (that the Browns don't appear to have). Also, let's not forget the AFC North is a defensive powerhouse and Weeden struggled in the face of pressure/blitzes in college.

Maybe I could get more into this thread if you passed the bong or mad dog around.

I agree that's it's utterly pathetic that Cleveland can't even best Pittsburgh in having the worst excuse for a professional sports franchise.

To quote Jim Mora: "What's that? Ah -- Playoffs? Don't talk about -- playoffs?! You kidding me?! Playoffs?! I just hope we can win a game! Another game!"

You just lost your defensive star Phil Taylor for the season and what have the Browns done exactly to improve their defense. Signed a couple of second/third string lineman to try to shore up the run defense. You may be able to run the ball and run the clock this year, but you need points to win. I don't see any wide-out playmakers on your roster.

Rushing a QB into action the first year is typically a recipe for disaster. Sure Roethlisberger and Dalton did pretty well, but they had alot of other stars to ease the process along (that the Browns don't appear to have). Also, let's not forget the AFC North is a defensive powerhouse and Weeden struggled in the face of pressure/blitzes in college.

Maybe I could get more into this thread if you passed the bong or mad dog around.

For what its worth, in my view the Steelers and Ravens are going to slip slide this year. They may still have a better overall record than the Browns, but their troubles are just beginning. The Bengals seem perhaps to be the team that has made the most improvement.

Also, FYI for whomever said it, the Browns are by no means the worst franchise in terms of playoff drought.

In the NFL the Bills have gone 12 years without a playoff appearance and the Raiders have gone the same length of time as the Browns at 9 years.

In MLB, with fewer playoff teams (until this coming year) you have the following playoff droughts all longer than the Browns:

Washington Nationals/Expos 30 years

KC Royals 26 years

Pirates 19 years

Blue Jays 18 years

Orioles 14 years

Mariners 10 years.

In the NBA and NHL where more than half the teams make the playoffs the droughts are less lengthy. Right now in the NBA the Minnesota Timberwolves have gone 8 years for the longest playoff drought in that league and in the NHL it is the Toronto Maple Leafs with 7 years as the longest playoff drought.

So your saying...the bucs ....while trying to set the record across all sports for most consecutive losing seasons.....is a better team than the browns?

LMAO!!

The Pirates don't need to try...they have already done it. By two years. Here are the longest consecutive losing season streaks in history by teams in the Big 4 major leagues:

18 years Pittsburgh Pirates 1993 to present

16 years Philadelphia Phillies 1933-1948

15 years Sacramento Kings 1983-1998

15 years Vancouver Canucks 1976-1991

15 years Phil/KC As 50s-60s. The As spent their entire existance in KC and never had a winning record until they moved to Oakland

14 years Tampa Bay Buccaneers 1983-1996

14 years Ft.Wayne/Detroit Pistons 1956-1970

14 years Detroit Red Wings 1973-1987

14 years Chicago Blackhawks 1946-1960

gafreleets, I think many would envy the amount of free time you apparently have, but yet many would scoff at how poorly you use it.

post per day average: .48

yeah, i spend SO much time here.

think before you open that flap on your face.

Because the opposing team always had fantastic field position, they didn't have to go very far to score, hence the low yardage (allowed by the defense).

You are in error sir.

Simple statistics document that the opposite is true.

CLE was 10th in Yards Allowed.

CLE was 5th in Points Allowed.

Yards allowed means little to me coz it's points that win / lose games.

2011 Defenses in Points Allowed:

1. PIT

2. SF

3. BAL

4. HOU

5. CLE

Please notice that the top 4 were all playoff teams.

So, yes, CLE has had a playoff quality defense over the past two seasons.

The defense actually got incrementally better over the past three seasons.

But the offense, which was improving under Mangini / Hillis, has been terrible and even got a bit worse under Shurmer.

So please focus on Points Scored or Points Allowed and not Yardage.

Yardage is the measure of an individuals accomplishments.

Points are the measurement of a teams accomplishments.

To the topic: No, not this year with a rookie QB, one of the toughest schedules, and Shurmer.

PIT with their #1 defense were #21 in points scored by their shitty Bruce Arians offense.

That should give you some perspective of what it takes to make it to the Wildcard game.

PIT with their #1 defense were #21 in points scored by their shitty Bruce Arians offense.

That should give you some perspective of what it takes to make it to the Wildcard game.

So, yeh, CLE can make the playoffs with a shitty offense.

PIT's offense was so shitty that the Browns would have won . . . .

So, the Steelers sent out their assassin, James Harrison to bang Colt on the head.

So, as much as you hate James Harrison and the Steelers defense, you need people like that to rescue your shitty offense.

You are in error sir.

Simple statistics document that the opposite is true.

CLE was 10th in Yards Allowed.

CLE was 5th in Points Allowed.

Yards allowed means little to me coz it's points that win / lose games.

2011 Defenses in Points Allowed:

1. PIT

2. SF

3. BAL

4. HOU

5. CLE

Please notice that the top 4 were all playoff teams.

So, yes, CLE has had a playoff quality defense over the past two seasons.

The defense actually got incrementally better over the past three seasons.

But the offense, which was improving under Mangini / Hillis, has been terrible and even got a bit worse under Shurmer.

So please focus on Points Scored or Points Allowed and not Yardage.

Yardage is the measure of an individuals accomplishments.

Points are the measurement of a teams accomplishments.

To the topic: No, not this year with a rookie QB, one of the toughest schedules, and Shurmer.

I was being sarcastic, but thank you for looking up the stats.

Per ColdHardFootballFacts, the main thing Cleveland needs is a top QB.. and with Weeden we now have the second-best QB in the AFCN.

We can do well with average WR's if we have a top QB.. just look at the WR's for the Patriots. The Gints don't have Nicks [the WR they took in the first round] this coming season due to injury, but watch their passing game not miss a beat. Running game isn't that important - the Giants run game this past season was the worst in nearly 20 years for a SB champ, but the domination of the Giant OL, DL and QB play were the key.

Build a champion with the lines and a QB - it's been the same since football started!

Bart Starr won the 1966 NFL championship with no running game because the Cowboys had the defense to stuff it. Starr's line from that game: 19 of 28 (67.9%), 304 yards, 10.9 YPA, 4 TD, 0 INT, 143.5 passer rating.. and this was when DB's could do anything. He won the SB against the AFL the following week, but that was anticlimactic compared to the Landry defenses of the 60's.

Per ColdHardFootballFacts, the main thing Cleveland needs is a top QB.. and with Weeden we now have the second-best QB in the AFCN.

We can do well with average WR's if we have a top QB.. just look at the WR's for the Patriots. The Gints don't have Nicks [the WR they took in the first round] this coming season due to injury, but watch their passing game not miss a beat. Running game isn't that important - the Giants run game this past season was the worst in nearly 20 years for a SB champ, but the domination of the Giant OL, DL and QB play were the key.

Build a champion with the lines and a QB - it's been the same since football started!

Bart Starr won the 1966 NFL championship with no running game because the Cowboys had the defense to stuff it. Starr's line from that game: 19 of 28 (67.9%), 304 yards, 10.9 YPA, 4 TD, 0 INT, 143.5 passer rating.. and this was when DB's could do anything. He won the SB against the AFL the following week, but that was anticlimactic compared to the Landry defenses of the 60's.

You can't throw out stats while also suggesting a QB with no NFL stats whatsoever (Weeden) is better then those that do. As it stands statistically, we have the worst QB in the division. Weeden has not been given an opportunity to prove himself, therefore nobody can logically prove that he is in fact the 2nd best QB in the division. If you don't believe me, please take a shot at proving me wrong. It's a little ridiculous that myself, an OSU alum, has to be the voice of reason concerning one of the greatest QB's in our school's history on, of all pro football teams, my favorite.

I was being sarcastic, but thank you for looking up the stats.

That's cool too.

Generally, I see alotta negativity on this forum.

The result of that negativity is that many fans never realize how good that defense is.

Furthermore, nobody seemed to know, nor care that CLE had statistically been improving in virtually every category, on both sides of the ball under Mangini. Then the defense continued to improve in 2011.

So, all in all, you have three seasons of consistent improvement on defense to the point that CLE's defense is keeping the team in games 'till the offense finally screws things up beyond hope in the 4th.

Still, Shurmer and a rookie QB will keep CLE out of the post season again this time.

why can't my team reach epic levels of suck-titude that the browns have obtained for the past quarter century?

dont be so modest, gaff!! ur team is our benchmark and mentor, having achieved it for a half century prior to the Steelers' ahead-of-the-curve implementation of steroids into the NFL!! ur so humble >> it's ok to brag a lil bit!! i know Steeler fever gets u all hot-n-stuff but ur among friends here Bud!!

i preferred ur 1st post in the thread much better...prior to the asinine response on the scroll down.

good to see you though! :)

great bukakes simply cannot exist without satisfying targets to shoot on.

mmmmmmm, cigarette [**in best Jon Lovitz "Newsradio accent**]

P.S. sorry for the late response, Nuevo Vallarta wifi leaves a lot to be desired.

That's cool too.

Generally, I see alotta negativity on this forum.

The result of that negativity is that many fans never realize how good that defense is.

The cause of that negativity is losing. Our negativity in that regard doesn't mean a cabbage fart to how the team...offense or defense, plays. Win and the negativity will go away.

Furthermore, nobody seemed to know, nor care that CLE had statistically been improving in virtually every category, on both sides of the ball under Mangini. Then the defense continued to improve in 2011.

So, all in all, you have three seasons of consistent improvement on defense to the point that CLE's defense is keeping the team in games 'till the offense finally screws things up beyond hope in the 4th.

Still, Shurmer and a rookie QB will keep CLE out of the post season again this time.

I suspect you are right. No one here I do not believe is realistically expecting a playoff bid. We do expect vast improvement however....including on the defense, which was still in like the bottom 5 in rush defense.

Archived