THE BROWNS BOARD

Libya Embassy

Westside Steve

No one is saying he doesn't have freedom of speech, or the right to make his movie. Romney says it right there. They're saying the movie is stupid, disgraceful, and offensive, and it is. (If you can take this stuff seriously enough to be offended.) It seems purposefully designed to enrage Muslims, and nothing else. It just shows Mohammed and then posits that he was (fill in the blank with something bad.) He's a wimp getting ordered around by women, then he's a child molester, then he's gay, etc. It's not any type of commentary and it has no point. It's perfectly fine for Romney, Obama, Clinton, etc., to all say that this is really stupid stuff. Sure, it's his free speech. It's also his cheap speech.

Condemning the video, after all, is also an example of people exercising their right to free speech.

Blah blah blah. Blah blah blah.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No one is saying he doesn't have freedom of speech, or the right to make his movie. Romney says it right there. They're saying the movie is stupid, disgraceful, and offensive, and it is. (If you can take this stuff seriously enough to be offended.) It seems purposefully designed to enrage Muslims, and nothing else. It just shows Mohammed and then posits that he was (fill in the blank with something bad.) He's a wimp getting ordered around by women, then he's a child molester, then he's gay, etc. It's not any type of commentary and it has no point. It's perfectly fine for Romney, Obama, Clinton, etc., to all say that this is really stupid stuff. Sure, it's his free speech. It's also his cheap speech.

Condemning the video, after all, is also an example of people exercising their right to free speech.

They're saying that people shouldn't be making this kind of stuff. I disagree, and the creators of South Park have become millionaires off of this type of shit. They did the joke the Onion made much, much earlier.

Seriously, how do you defend the Onion's satire and then turn around and say the Muhammad video is stupid, disgraceful, and offensive? Sure, at least South Park and the Onion are clever about it, but aside from that, what's the difference?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19600542

• In Tunisia's capital, protesters scale the walls of the US embassy and set fire to an American school in the city. Two people killed, 28 injured

• Thousands of protesters storm the US, German and British embassies in the Sudanese capital Khartoum. At least one death is reported

• The film which has caused offence, "The Innocence of Muslims", mocks Islam and insults the Prophet Muhammad

• Protesters set fire to a KFC outlet in northern Lebanese city of Tripoli, and one person was killed

• In the last few days, protests have spread across the Middle East and North Africa - including Egypt, Morocco, Sudan and Tunisia

• On Tuesday the US ambassador to Libya was killed in a fire in an attack on the US consulate in Benghazi

Why. The. Fuck.

How did they not immediately reinforce every embassy in the Middle East with Marines after what happened in Libya?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...africa-19600542

Why. The. Fuck.

How did they not immediately reinforce every embassy in the Middle East with Marines after what happened in Libya?

You're right, BBC has much better coverage then any American news station.

You're right, BBC has much better coverage then any American news station.

Seriously, it's far and away superior to anything on American television.

_62902538_62902537.jpg

World War 3 is a'comin. That being said, one of the biggest reasons I don't want Romney in office is because he's definitely more likely to conduct a pre-emptive strike on Iran. If that happens, there's going to be a regional conflict, if not a proxy situation where China and Russia get involved.

Seriously, it's far and away superior to anything on American television.

World War 3 is a'comin. That being said, one of the biggest reasons I don't want Romney in office is because he's definitely more likely to conduct a pre-emptive strike on Iran. If that happens, there's going to be a regional conflict if not a proxy situation where China and Russia get involved.

By all means let's wait until they kill 5 or 10,000 Americans and then assassinate somebody.

I thought you guys said it was Bush's fault that the Middle Easterners hate us?

Anyway it's been a good many years since the world has had a good bench clearing brawl.

We're about due for one.

WSS

They're saying that people shouldn't be making this kind of stuff. I disagree, and the creators of South Park have become millionaires off of this type of shit. They did the joke the Onion made much, much earlier.

Seriously, how do you defend the Onion's satire and then turn around and say the Muhammad video is stupid, disgraceful, and offensive? Sure, at least South Park and the Onion are clever about it, but aside from that, what's the difference?

Look, I'm not saying I'm offended by "The Innocence of Muslims." I couldn't care less. Because you'd have to be somewhere in the vicinity of making a point to be offensive. It's sort of similar to why Cal is so noxious, some would even say offensive, but someone you just laugh off. Because he's shooting blanks and is completely lost. This movie, if you could call it that, is laughably bad. It's the worst production you've ever seen. My wife's 7th graders make better movies for class. By a long shot. It's just a Mad Libs designed to piss off backward Muslims. That's why I said that it was "offensive."

The Onion story is the exact opposite of all of those things.

So there's no difference in terms of whether or not someone should be allowed to create something like South Park or "The Innocence of Muslims." Whether or not I think it's deserving of praise or condemnation depends entirely on what it says and how it says it. In other words, I'm saying it's stupid, disgraceful, and offensive because it's, well, stupid, disgraceful, and offensive.

If you'd like another example, Carlin's "Seven Words You Can Say On TV" is a smart comedy bit that exposed how arbitrary the decency standards are. 2 Live Crew's act wasn't so smart.

That's such bullcrap. I can't believe anyone, Hillary, Obama, Romney are all condemning the video. Freedom of speech, motherfuckers. If it offends you, feel free to look the other way. Or murder people in American embassies.

While the common idiot gets riled up by these videos, you know people with an agenda are the ones organizing the violence. Remember when South Park released this?

220px-South_park_muhammad.jpg

And what happened, then? Oh that's right, no one cared. We need to stop apologizing for our citizens exercising their first amendment.

Wow Vapor....I agree with you. Right on....it's a friggen movie.

This isn't the same as that Kansas cult who gather at the funerals of dead GI's and chant their crap...the family doesn't have the choice to tune it out.

I'd bet the vast majority of these people storming Embassies have never seen the movie....they are just jumping on the boat.

World War 3 is a'comin. That being said, one of the biggest reasons I don't want Romney in office is because he's definitely more likely to conduct a pre-emptive strike on Iran. If that happens, there's going to be a regional conflict, if not a proxy situation where China and Russia get involved.

No, it's not. The whole point to having Obama in the office is not to have a bedwetter making the calls. They're going to riot for a couple days, get it out of their system, and go back to being miserable. It's no reason to start committing American troops in the Middle East. They'd have to go way, way, way beyond what they're doing today.

Calm down. We're America. They're a desperate, shithole nation armed with rocks and metal poles.

I'm surprised at you.

By all means let's wait until they kill 5 or 10,000 Americans and then assassinate somebody.

I thought you guys said it was Bush's fault that the Middle Easterners hate us?

Anyway it's been a good many years since the world has had a good bench clearing brawl.

We're about due for one.

WSS

So long as they're killing people over there, I don't have anything to worry about. If the violence hits our shores again, then, and only then, do we take names and kick ass. These people aren't attacking us because of some bogus video. They're attacking us because of decades of oppression brought about the creation of Israel and proxy wars fought during the Cold War. We fucked Iran and Iraq, especially, for decades, paid em to kill each other. Some of these people over there are intelligent enough to see our role in it, and this is their repayment for it. The whole fuckin Middle East is a lost cause, and I wish that we'd just go isolationist and let them glass each other off the face of the earth. That's not going to happen, and we're unfortunately going to be drawn into this bullshit so long as we side with Israel.

Our friends south of the border are starting to modernize, and guess what! We fucked them, too. Just take a look at how Ecuador is protecting Assange from us and the UK. We're as powerful as we're ever going to be, and the Chinese are going to supersede us as the world's premier superpower. I wish we'd accept this fact with grace instead of pretending it's still 1965 and we're fighting the good fight against pinkos and commies.

So long as they're killing people over there, I don't have anything to worry about. If the violence hits our shores again, then, and only then, do we take names and kick ass. These people aren't attacking us because of some bogus video. They're attacking us because of decades of oppression brought about the creation of Israel and proxy wars fought during the Cold War. We fucked Iran and Iraq, especially, for decades, paid em to kill each other. Some of these people over there are intelligent enough to see our role in it, and this is their repayment for it. The whole fuckin Middle East is a lost cause, and I wish that we'd just go isolationist and let them glass each other off the face of the earth. That's not going to happen, and we're unfortunately going to be drawn into this bullshit so long as we side with Israel.

Our friends south of the border are starting to modernize, and guess what! We fucked them, too. Just take a look at how Ecuador is protecting Assange from us and the UK. We're as powerful as we're ever going to be, and the Chinese are going to supersede us as the world's premier superpower. I wish we'd accept this fact with grace instead of pretending it's still 1965 and we're fighting the good fight against pinkos and commies.

Well hopefully the manufacture of white flags will bring an economic boost to the textile mills of the eastern US.

WSS

No, it's not. The whole point to having Obama in the office is not to have a bedwetter making the calls. They're going to riot for a couple days, get it out of their system, and go back to being miserable. It's no reason to start committing American troops in the Middle East. They'd have to go way, way, way beyond what they're doing today. <br /><br />Calm down. We're America. They're a desperate, shithole nation armed with rocks and metal poles.  <br /><br />I'm surprised at you.<br />

I take it that all of those paint chips that you have been snacking on has effected your thought processes.

Tell us when is it okay for people to perform terrorist acts on 911 and KILL AMERICANS and all we do is sit on our hands hoping for a timeout?

Heck-of-A handjob you are a complete fucking Coward!!!!

No, it's not. The whole point to having Obama in the office is not to have a bedwetter making the calls. They're going to riot for a couple days, get it out of their system, and go back to being miserable. It's no reason to start committing American troops in the Middle East. They'd have to go way, way, way beyond what they're doing today.

Calm down. We're America. They're a desperate, shithole nation armed with rocks and metal poles.

I'm surprised at you.

You were saying? <_<

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/09/obama-notifies-congress-of-troops-deployed-to-libya-and-yemen

President Obama has taken the formal step of notifying Congress that he has deployed troops “equipped for combat” to Libya and Yemen to defend U.S. citizens and property, pursuant to the War Powers Resolution.

“Although these security forces are equipped for combat, these movements have been undertaken solely for the purpose of protecting American citizens and property,” the president wrote in a letter to Congress. “These security forces will remain in Libya and in Yemen until the security situation becomes such that they are no longer needed.”

A security force from the U.S. Africa Command deployed to Libya Wednesday to support security of U.S. personnel after the killing of four Americans in an attack on the U.S. embassy in Benghazi. An additional security force arrived in Yemen Thursday after the assault on the U.S. Embassy in Sana’a.

“These actions have been directed consistent with my responsibility to protect U.S. citizens both at home and abroad, and in furtherance of U.S. national security and foreign policy interests, pursuant to my constitutional authority to conduct U.S. foreign relations and as Commander in Chief and Chief Executive,” the president wrote. “I am providing this report as part of my efforts to keep the Congress fully informed, consistent with the War Powers Resolution. I appreciate the support of the Congress in these actions.”

Consistent with the War Powers Resolution, the president has to notify Congress when he dispatches combat-equipped troops to a foreign country.

This situation differs from the U.S. involvement in Libya last year, when the president was criticized for not notifying Congress.

No combat-equipped troops were sent to a foreign country in that instance, whereas these are now boots on the ground.

Told Status:
Not Told                [ ]
Told                    [ ]
Stone Told Steve Austin [x]

I do believe this means that you are insinuating that Mr. Obama is a bedwetter.

Um, no. Look, you're up above complaining that we haven't sent anyone to secure American embassies, seemingly unaware that we'd already sent in Marines to do just that. That order came down a day ago. No one has a problem with that.

I'd think the worst thing to do would be to overreact to this and use it as a pretext to start escalating another Iraq-style fight for no good reason. If you're really concerned about China surpassing us economically, I'm sure you're not that keen on the idea that we waste another few trillion because of what happened in the last 2-3 days. We should concerned with finding the people who killed our people and killing them, not going Glenn Beck and imagining/hoping this is World War III.

And I don't think Iran and Iraq fought a war for a decade because we paid them to. It might have had something more to do with the whole Sunni-Shia thing that dates back a few centuries, and fights over oil fields. among other things.

So what is it you're suggesting that we do?

Um, no. Look, you're up above complaining that we haven't sent anyone to secure American embassies, seemingly unaware that we'd already sent in Marines to do just that. That order came down a day ago. No one has a problem with that.

I'd think the worst thing to do would be to overreact to this and use it as a pretext to start escalating another Iraq-style fight for no good reason. If you're really concerned about China surpassing us economically, I'm sure you're not that keen on the idea that we waste another few trillion because of what happened in the last 2-3 days. We should concerned with finding the people who killed our people and killing them, not going Glenn Beck and imagining this is World War III.

And I don't think Iran and Iraq fought a war for a decade because we paid them to. It might have had something more to do with the whole Sunni-Shia thing that dates back a few centuries, and fights over oil fields. among other things.

All I was suggesting was putting just enough people down to ensure that our embassies don't get overrun. In NO WAY am I suggesting escalating this to another Iraq.

And yes, obviously the Sunni/Shiite thing was a large reason for the war, but we funded both of their militaries and we are still resented abroad, in part, because of that.

That being said, I would not be surprised to see the Mid-East erupt in a regional war in the next ten years. If that happens, then it's quite possible that it escalates into a proxy war. I really don't think that's an extreme example, and you know that it's the conflict that the superpowers are preparing for. The unrest that we're seeing now is much, much different than the suicide bombings that we've seen over the past two decades. These aren't extremist suicide bombers. Maybe the people in charge are extremists, but the people who are actually carrying these attacks out? They're just average joes over there who are sick of being used by the US, and there are a ton of them. I honestly don't remember seeing this region as close to a tipping point as I do now, and maybe it's cuz I'm younger than most of you, but am I just way off on this?

Anyways, the place is the most volatile region in the world, and it's a powder keg waiting to explode. It's only a matter of time before Iran gets nukes, though Mossad seems to be pretty good at killing scientists, but when they do, it's going to change the diplomatic atmosphere in the region. I think that if we choose to preempt Iran and absolutely annihilate their enrichment facilities, then they'd respond by attempting to provoke Israel into a war, much like Saddam did. If that happens with anti-American/anti-Western sentiment where it currently is, I could see a bunch of nations ganging up on Israel again, which would put us into a proxy war. Honestly, I think it's in everyone's best interest to just let the Iranians have nukes, they'd have little to gain and everything to lose by using them or giving some to Hezbollah.

All I was suggesting was putting just enough people down to ensure that our embassies don't get overrun. In NO WAY am I suggesting escalating this to another Iraq.

And yes, obviously the Sunni/Shiite thing was a large reason for the war, but we funded both of their militaries and we are still resented abroad, in part, because of that.

That being said, I would not be surprised to see the Mid-East erupt in a regional war in the next ten years. If that happens, then it's quite possible that it escalates into a proxy war. I really don't think that's an extreme example, and you know that it's the conflict that the superpowers are preparing for. The unrest that we're seeing now is much, much different than the suicide bombings that we've seen over the past two decades. These aren't extremist suicide bombers. Maybe the people in charge are extremists, but the people who are actually carrying these attacks out? They're just average joes over there who are sick of being used by the US, and there are a ton of them. I honestly don't remember seeing this region as close to a tipping point as I do now, and maybe it's cuz I'm younger than most of you, but am I just way off on this?

Anyways, the place is the most volatile region in the world, and it's a powder keg waiting to explode. It's only a matter of time before Iran gets nukes, though Mossad seems to be pretty good at killing scientists, but when they do, it's ,going to change the diplomatic atmosphere in the region. I think that if we choose to preempt Iran and absolutely annihilate their enrichment facilities, then they'd respond by attempting to provoke Israel into a war, much like Saddam did. If that happens with anti-American/anti-Western sentiment where it currently is, I could see a bunch of nations ganging up on Israel again, which would put us into a proxy war. Honestly, I think it's in everyone's best interest to just let the Iranians have nukes, they'd have little to gain and everything to lose by using them or giving some to Hezbollah.

It's not in anyones best interests to let Iran have nuclear weapons. Terrorists get their hands on that and you can kiss something goodbye. They don't care about the consequences, are you crazy? What leads you to believe they would show any restraint?

It's not in anyones best interests to let Iran have nuclear weapons. Terrorists get their hands on that and you can kiss something goodbye. They don't care about the consequences, are you crazy? What leads you to believe they would show any restraint?

They have absolutely nothing to gain by using them and everything to gain by simply having them. If a nuclear bomb or a dirty bomb goes off anywhere near US or Israeli interests, guess who's going to be the first to blame? And guess what happens when you nuke a country that has its own nuclear arsenal? A nuclear weapon is the best defense they have against Israel and Western interests and will allow them to carve out a larger sphere of influence in the Middle East. I think the current regime in Israel is a bunch of ultra-conservative pricks, and if they backed off it'd be better for the entire region. I think that Iran having nukes would stabilize the region. You actually believe the rhetoric that comes out of Ahmadinejad's mouth? They're all talk, and once you have nukes, you don't have to run your mouth to get other world powers to respect you.

They have absolutely nothing to gain by using them and everything to gain by simply having them. If a nuclear bomb or a dirty bomb goes off anywhere near US or Israeli interests, guess who's going to be the first to blame? And guess what happens when you nuke a country that has its own nuclear arsenal? A nuclear weapon is the best defense they have against Israel and Western interests and will allow them to carve out a larger sphere of influence in the Middle East. I think the current regime in Israel is a bunch of ultra-conservative pricks, and if they backed off it'd be better for the entire region. I think that Iran having nukes would stabilize the region. You actually believe the rhetoric that comes out of Ahmadinejad's mouth? They're all talk, and once you have nukes, you don't have to run your mouth to get other world powers to respect you.

Not sure I agree with your ideas here. I'm no huge supporter of Israel but I'm much much less of a supporter of Iran. Again, the Arabs are no friends of ours and we don't need the kind of stabilization Iran would bring to the region.

Not sure I agree with your ideas here. I'm no huge supporter of Israel but I'm much much less of a supporter of Iran. Again, the Arabs are no friends of ours and we don't need the kind of stabilization Iran would bring to the region.

I wouldn't say I support Iran, as their gain in influence would be our loss. I strongly believe, however, that it would stabilize the area (at least until the world runs low on food/oil). A global conflict is most likely inevitable, and I think we should be doing whatever we possibly can to avoid another world war.

I take it that all of those paint chips that you have been snacking on has effected your thought processes.

Tell us when is it okay for people to perform terrorist acts on 911 and KILL AMERICANS and all we do is sit on our hands hoping for a timeout?

Heck-of-A handjob you are a complete fucking Coward!!!!

Actually, Heckbunker is worse than that. He is the most worthless member of the board. He always has been a dimwit,

who is so much like a Nazi sympathizer it's sad. He's a bought and paid for political hack, with no principles.

I mean, even Vapor is kicking Heckbunker's ass. I have. Saint has. Steve always does. He likes to argue his own slanted points,

and goes off and researches some asinine cherry picked stuff to try to win.

For what ? Beats me. Steve just kicks his ass again and again..........

In fact, Heck is such a loser, almost everybody on this board has kicked his ass at one time or another, except for Little Johnny Woodenpeckerhead.

Heckbunker likes to divert attention from stuff he isn't in allegiance to, and will argue incessantly over what the definition of "is" is....

instead of ever being man enough, instead of being American enough, to admit this president is a disgrace and a major failure

in his entire "presidency", won't even admit he isn't a god with a magic twanger. . Heckbunker was all in on Gore and Kerry. He "knew" they were going to win the elctions ofr pres.

What losers and disgraces they STILL are.

But they fail as disgraces in comparision to Obamao. He is serious, megalomaniac. The kind of nut that attracts vermin like Heckbunker.

Gutless cowards are hurting this country. They don't care. It's about them getting $$$ for their loyalty. And Heckbunker is a worthless

one of them. As a group, they seem to be going for broke, winner takes all. And that, can only lead to societal subcultural confrontations

to whatever degree they actually happen.

It's best to be prepared for you and your family's, and friends', safety, and well being. Food, water, shelter, and protection. It's happened

in history before. We are headed in that direction now, with an actual president of our country leading the way toward disaster.

That, and all his radical, America-hating "friends"... and his minions of sold out, bought and paid for losers who are loyal to what he stands for.

It isn't good. It's historically very bad. And sad. And very UN-American.

I wouldn't say I support Iran, and their gain in influence would be our loss. I strongly believe, however, that it would stabilize the area (at least until the world runs low on food/oil). A global conflict is most likely inevitable, and I think we should be doing whatever we possibly can to avoid another world war.

World war three would be a misnomer perhaps because there were several global wars predating world war 1. The French and Indian war on our part was part of the napoleonic wars which should have been world war 1.

In any case, global wars tend to lead to periods of peace and relative prosperity. These are never sustained for long because man is a petty warlike race, but they do last a decade or so. The 20s the 50s arguably the 90s if you want to consider the cold war a global war (it was). So a global war wouldn't necessarily be a horrible thing. As long as we won.

World war three would be a misnomer perhaps because there were several global wars predating world war 1. The French and Indian war on our part was part of the napoleonic wars which should have been world war 1.

In any case, global wars tend to lead to periods of peace and relative prosperity. These are never sustained for long because man is a petty warlike race, but they do last a decade or so. The 20s the 50s arguably the 90s if you want to consider the cold war a global war (it was). So a global war wouldn't necessarily be a horrible thing. As long as we won.

Well, if World War 3 ends up being global nuclear war, everyone loses. Australia and South America become world superpowers after the dust settles and the winter ends.

I think if Iran gets nukes.... it DEstabilizes,

in that they and the rset of the Israel hating countries there, will

be secure in going after Israel all out, via "proxy" organizations,

while knowing that Israel can't have a nuke as a last resort to

it's survival.

It's a dangerous game. Obamao thought he could make

that part of the world live in peace, because he was so much one

of the Muslims in that part of the world.

The exact opposite is happening. They see that as a weakness,

and as a huge advantage in their acting out against us, and Israel.

I really hope it doesn't completely blow up.

Obamao, though, won't be able to blame President Bush, or Republicans,

or even the American people.

It's all on his watch, the blood will be on his hands.

If it happens before the election (probly not?), nobody on this board

will vote for Obamao except the gultess, phoney, cowardly lyin Heckbunker.

I don't think the situation is drastically worse than it's ever been, at least not in the way that it's being presented in the WWIII talk here. In fact, the current tumult bears some striking parallels to the '05 Koran desecration controversy, which turned violent as well.

History is repeating itself - folks get riled up about their faith supposedly being insulted, bad stuff ensues - but one key difference is that many of the authoritarian regimes that dominated the Arab world back then are now things of the past. Whether that's a good thing or not is increasingly a topic of debate (I think it is), but the last thing we should want is for countries like Libya to become failed states. That's where terrorism truly thrives -- guillotining their entire gov't would be a strong step towards ensuring that happens.

I don't think the situation is drastically worse than it's ever been, at least not in the way that it's being presented in the WWIII talk here. In fact, the current tumult bears some striking parallels to the '05 Koran desecration controversy, which turned violent as well.

History is repeating itself - folks get riled up about their faith supposedly being insulted, bad stuff ensues - but one key difference is that many of the authoritarian regimes that dominated the Arab world back then are now things of the past. Whether that's a good thing or not is increasingly a topic of debate (I think it is), but the last thing we should want is for countries like Libya to become failed states. That's where terrorism truly thrives -- guillotining their entire gov't would be a strong step towards ensuring that happens.

Ah, I completely forgot about that, but yeah, I guess you're right. Nonetheless, I think that region's in for some shtf moments in the next decade.

I hope you are not suggesting an "aid" package to ensure that their loyalty is with us.

Archived