THE BROWNS BOARD

It's Official

BadNewsBrowns

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right - we HAVE been through this a thousand times. And for the 1,000th time, I think this is archaic thinking and the Browns fan base needs to recognize that change isn't necessarily bad. If you stand by the "If they win it doesn't matter" mentality, then you should also accept this the other way. If they win, why do you care if they want to change the uniforms or add cheerleaders?

Newsflash: The new owner is a smart businessman.

Newsflash: Haslam understands marketing. His wife is one of the top marketing execs in the world.

Then if you understand marketing- Haslam is essentially buying a "Brand".

Care to tell me how "New Coke" worked out?

IMHO- the ONLY team to successfully re-make their "image" was the Tampa Bay Bucs. And IMHO- the reason that worked out? The team started winning!!! Cool duds haven't to my knowledge ever won a game in the NFL. And hate to break it to you- Halam is already on record- the orange helmets stay. Haven't seen some of the other "traditional" teams fans (Packers, Bears, Lions) fans screaming for a makeover either. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You may think the Broncos new unis are way cool- I happen to think they're hideous. Smart marketers (like you're saying Haslam is) will know the "we want change" crowd is in the minority. Sorry about that.

IMHO- the ONLY team to successfully re-make their "image" was the Tampa Bay Bucs. And hate to break it to you- Halam is already on record- the orange helmets stay. Haven't seen some of the other "traditional" teams fans (Packers, Bears, Lions) fans screaming for a makeover either. Smart marketers (like you're saying Haslam is) will know the "we want change" crowd is in the minority. Sorry about that.

The new uni's of the Bronco's didn't help the brand, or the Pat's either? I don't mind making the uni's a little more modern. Keep the color's, keep the tradition alive, but that can be done. I saw the Browns on Sunday and saw those plain white uni's and thought.. ugh. We need shift in thinking and it might help this franchise.

I think Shurmer has essentially a 10 week job interview going on right now. Win some games...keep seeing improvement in the team week to week and he just might get to stick around next year.

And I saw the all white uniforms on Sunday and said "awesome" just the way the Browns are supposed to look.

IMHO- the ONLY team to successfully re-make their "image" was the Tampa Bay Bucs. And hate to break it to you- Halam is already on record- the orange helmets stay. Haven't seen some of the other "traditional" teams fans (Packers, Bears, Lions) fans screaming for a makeover either. Smart marketers (like you're saying Haslam is) will know the "we want change" crowd is in the minority. Sorry about that.

No need to be sorry. It is the minority. But he also recognizes it won't be for long. The fanbase is old and getting older. Smart marketers see trends and make moves - popular or unpopular - based on where they see things in 5-10 years.

New Coke didn't work out. Yet did it hurt the brand? Hell no it didn't. Coke is still everywhere. Now they have Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Coke this, Coke that. So that's a crappy attempt on your part.

I never said I wanted a new helmet. All traditionalists think the focus if the damn helmet. Of course it's not. Everyone loves the helmet and no logo on it, me included. But to have a logo - a real logo besides a picture of our helmet would be a GOOD thing. Incorporating a new color so kids or people that actually give a crap about how they look can have more choices isn't a bad thing.

BTW - nice reference to the Lions, a team that has changed and tweaked their uniforms and logo numerous times over the years. The Pack won't change because they're owned by their old fans that live in a dying town. Have ever BEEN to Green Bay? The Bears don't HAVE to change their gear because they were lucky enough to get colors and a logo that are still relevant today. Plus, they reside in a vibrant, growing metropolis. We don't.

I could reference bunches of fortune 500 companies that have branded and re-branded. Federal Express, Nike, General Electric, Accenture to name a few. There are reasons they do this.

Fans need to WAKE UP and realize there are frickin' websites dedicated to uniforms (uni-watch) that are even associated with ESPN. Do you think it's just an off-chance that so many 'traditional' college teams are jumping on the alternate uniforms? Times they are a changing.

The world has CHANGED. People and kids have CHANGED. This is an increasingly visual world in which we live. Deal with it.

The Browns were stuck in 1955...until Haslam showed up.

The new uni's of the Bronco's didn't help the brand, or the Pat's either? I don't mind making the uni's a little more modern. Keep the color's, keep the tradition alive, but that can be done. I saw the Browns on Sunday and saw those plain white uni's and thought.. ugh. We need shift in thinking and it might help this franchise.

The only constant in the world is change. I'm not averse to "some" modernization. And I agree- if they put the "all white look" out to pasture, it won't bother me at all. Some people hated the Orange pants- I happened to like them. Doug Dieken hated them- said "it made me feel like a big pumpkin out there."

I never said I wanted a new helmet. All traditionalists think the focus if the damn helmet. Of course it's not. Everyone loves the helmet and no logo on it, me included. But to have a logo - a real logo besides a picture of our helmet would be a GOOD thing. Incorporating a new color so kids or people that actually give a crap about how they look can have more choices isn't a bad thing.

And you young 'uns- and I have to assume you are one- think that's just so horrible.

Well, you know what would make the traditionalists, and the kids happy? Put the Elf on the uniform. Put a 50' Statue of him outside the stadium. That was one of marketing genius Modell's biggest mistakes putting him in the closet.

No need to be sorry. It is the minority. But he also recognizes it won't be for long. The fanbase is old and getting older. Smart marketers see trends and make moves - popular or unpopular - based on where they see things in 5-10 years.

New Coke didn't work out. Yet did it hurt the brand? Hell no it didn't. Coke is still everywhere. Now they have Diet Coke, Coke Zero, Coke this, Coke that. So that's a crappy attempt on your part.

BTW - nice reference to the Lions, a team that has changed and tweaked their uniforms and logo numerous times over the years. The Pack won't change because they're owned by their old fans that live in a dying town. Have ever BEEN to Green Bay? The Bears don't HAVE to change their gear because they were lucky enough to get colors and a logo that are still relevant today. Plus, they reside in a vibrant, growing metropolis. We don't.

I could reference bunches of fortune 500 companies that have branded and re-branded. Federal Express, Nike, General Electric, Accenture to name a few. There are reasons they do this.

Fans need to WAKE UP and realize there are frickin' websites dedicated to uniforms (uni-watch) that are even associated with ESPN. Do you think it's just an off-chance that so many 'traditional' college teams are jumping on the alternate uniforms? Times they are a changing.

The world has CHANGED. People and kids have CHANGED. This is an increasingly visual world in which we live. Deal with it.

Chill out Squintz. I doubt that if their is a change it would be as dramatic as you probably want anyway.

Chill out Squintz. I doubt that if their is a change it would be as dramatic as you probably want anyway.

No need to tell me to chill - I just jump on and off the Board when I have a minute here and there.

Sometimes I get on a soap box that may come off as confrontational. For this, I apologize.

Listen - I own 12 psl's and go to every game. I have since they returned. I was down there at the rallies to get the team back, save the name and the colors. I'm old enough to have attended my first game when they were the Kardiac Kids, so I'm not a newbie. I'm very conservative by nature even.

I just want something good for this team and the fans. I have kids and see the kids in school that so want to have a winning team and some more relevant gear to wear when supporting their team.

I want the fanbase to grow and this team to thrive. For this to happen, I feel we need to win AND be accepting of some changes.

Haslam will treat the team like a business. A win-win scenario for him and us. If he make the team remotely better than it has been, the team will instantly gain value and us slighted Browns fans will rejoice from the top of Key Tower. Added bonus: he clearly loves football, not futbol.

Heckerrrt (autocorrects to penis, wtf?) is a solid FO member but is not GM material. He needs to be placed as the Player Personnel Director at the end of the season. His whole declination of free agency is kinda ridiculous. Assuming our rookie class begins to make us competitive in the next few years, we will have to pick up quality free agents to get to bigger and better things (playoffs, maybe?)

Don't fire Shur-mur (autocorrects to Vagina, wtf??????). Anyways, firing a coach in the middle of the season brings in so many negative externalities. He sucks as a coach, but even bringing the likes of say Cowher in right in the middle of the season will offer hardly any benefit. Anyone that has played football knows that learning a new playbook is about just as hard as it gets

Walrus, peace out with your status quo mentality. You won't be missed by many.

Anyone know how we got that elf in the first place? I like it, but my wife has asked why it is our "mascot" and I don't have a good answer other than "Because...History!"

The internet is an amazing invention, no? ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownie_%28folklore%29

http://www.clevescene.com/64-and-counting/archives/2009/11/18/a-little-history-of-brownie-the-elf

how did this thread about the fat fish eating blubber filled douchebag getting fired turn into another gay uniform thread, then a cheeleading thread?

man let a mother fucker enjoy the firing of the walrus. you pussies and your uniform fascination need to go fuck each other in the ass and just get it over with.

faggots.

(see what you mods have done. think i got around it ok.

Haslam will treat the team like a business. A win-win scenario for him and us. If he make the team remotely better than it has been, the team will instantly gain value and us slighted Browns fans will rejoice from the top of Key Tower. Added bonus: he clearly loves football, not futbol.

Heckerrrt (autocorrects to penis, wtf?) is a solid FO member but is not GM material. He needs to be placed as the Player Personnel Director at the end of the season. His whole declination of free agency is kinda ridiculous. Assuming our rookie class begins to make us competitive in the next few years, we will have to pick up quality free agents to get to bigger and better things (playoffs, maybe?)

Don't fire Shur-mur (autocorrects to Vagina, wtf??????). Anyways, firing a coach in the middle of the season brings in so many negative externalities. He sucks as a coach, but even bringing the likes of say Cowher in right in the middle of the season will offer hardly any benefit. Anyone that has played football knows that learning a new playbook is about just as hard as it gets

Walrus, peace out with your status quo mentality. You won't be missed by many.

AH...Uhm, the "refusal" to sign Free Agents this past year may in fact have not been Penis's choice....but may have been a directive of Randy Lerner's. If he knew he was going to sell the team he may not have wanted to saddle the prospective buyer with high priced free agent contracts.

We all were scratching our heads wondering why the no FA policy, but in light of what happened with the sale it all now makes sense.

AH...Uhm, the "refusal" to sign Free Agents this past year may in fact have not been Penis's choice....but may have been a directive of Randy Lerner's. If he knew he was going to sell the team he may not have wanted to saddle the prospective buyer with high priced free agent contracts.

We all were scratching our heads wondering why the no FA policy, but in light of what happened with the sale it all now makes sense.

Good point Gip. It was befuddling why we made no attempt to pursue any free agents. It's a new day in Believeland. Too early to tell if there is going to be sunshine or just more gray in the factory of sadness.

I love how some topics get picked on by the "In crowd". Look, what are you guys going to go do when Haslam does do something. Quit, cry, take your ball and go home. That's elementary school mentality I read out of a lot of you. We're do for a face lift. I'm for it. Bring it on.

yo brownskid, what are you in h.s. home economics or something? sure the unis can use an uplift but that's not what this thread was about, buttwipe. it was about holmgren being gone after the season. but you and some other pole smokers have to keep riddling threads at any opportunity to talk about your favorite subject: changing the uniforms.

why don't you save up your lunch money and buy a one way bus ticket here to ny where you can study fashion at some of the finest schools. just know that you'll probably be working at some bath house 20 hrs a day to pay for your tuition. i guess you could probably live with your gay pimp bruno to cut down on costs.

pussy bitch.

for god's sake there is soooo much more pressing needs of this franchise than to woryy about what color browns we need to change to.

yo brownskid, what are you in h.s. home economics or something? sure the unis can use an uplift but that's not what this thread was about, buttwipe. it was about holmgren being gone after the season. but you and some other pole smokers have to keep riddling threads at any opportunity to talk about your favorite subject: changing the uniforms.

why don't you save up your lunch money and buy a one way bus ticket here to ny where you can study fashion at some of the finest schools. just know that you'll probably be working at some bath house 20 hrs a day to pay for your tuition. i guess you could probably live with your gay pimp bruno to cut down on costs.

pussy bitch.

for god's sake there is soooo much more pressing needs of this franchise than to woryy about what color browns we need to change to.

Oh shit, ha ha ha ha ha.

Now Profootballtalk.com is noting that Heckerrt thinks he's next to go at end of season.

IMHO this would be a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE, HUGE mistake.

Heckerrt has this team full of young, fast, talented players. There hasn't been a draft of his I've disliked.

I'm actually disappointed in Banner coming on board.

Now Profootballtalk.com is noting that Heckerrt thinks he's next to go at end of season.

IMHO this would be a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE, HUGE mistake.

Heckerrt has this team full of young, fast, talented players. There hasn't been a draft of his I've disliked.

I'm actually disappointed in Banner coming on board.

but wouldn't banner be taking holmgren's place? i mean heckert does deserve to stay IMO, BUT sometimes people burn bridges. hopefully heckert and banner can put what ever differences they had in philly in the past and concentrate on building a winner.

I'm confused about that Philly situation. Seems to me there HAD to be some head butting there, but I would think it might be more Banner & Reid or Heckert & Reid. I guess we'll eventually see.

Any way it plays out, I am excited about an owner who CARES!

Mike

I'm confused about that Philly situation. Seems to me there HAD to be some head butting there, but I would think it might be more Banner & Reid or Heckert & Reid. I guess we'll eventually see.

Any way it plays out, I am excited about an owner who CARES!

Mike

I think Banner had final say on the decisions in Philly. Reid also had a lot of input,Heckert was not the authority as he is with the Browns which is probably what attracted him here.

For what it's worth,Dustin Fox from 92.3 the fan, who played for the Eagles in 2006 has said Heckert and Banner did not have a good relationship.

Archived