THE BROWNS BOARD

This Win Doesn't Even Feel Good

Soju

Their defense is ranked 2nd against the rush because teams have been pass heavy against them throwing for 268 yards a game, which is ranked 28th in the league coming into today. They locked down DMC and Chris Johnson early this season, sure. But at that point both of them were struggling to do anything against air. Stats are stats, but context is better. Their rush defense is about as overrated as our pass defense was last season, teams didn't need to pass because we gave up 134 yards per game on the ground. The truth is, San Diego was 1-3 in their last 4 games coming into today giving up over 20 ppg in each contest. And to be proud that we scored 7 on such an average defense is asinine. And I'm not saying Trent wasn't great today, because he was.

I'd rather us win than lose, but I'm not gonna sit here and be satisfied simply because we won. I'm not finding things to complain about, I'm talking about what I saw on the field today. We watched a team beat themselves when we were begging to lose. We were lucky that Meachem dropped a TD pass and we were lucky that Hardesty recovered his own fumble. Am I happy we lucked out? Yes. But we can't ignore that those things happened just because we came out with a win today.

You think our coaches are happy with todays performance? No. You think our players feel they could have done much better? Yes.

"Go watch the Packers" - What does that mean, exactly?

And no one is asking for 80 points a game, we're asking to convert better than 35% of 3rd downs. I'm not mad we only scored 7 points today, I'm mad that our offense got worse as the game progressed.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

San Diego averaged 25 points a game coming into today and we held them to two field goals. And thats with an offense that had about 5 three in outs and punted like 10 times in a row. Billy Winn and John Hugh's play pretty much the entire game because Rubin and Taylor are out, of course there going to get tired and give up some yards. Get your head out of your ass, that was a hell of a defensive effort.

YESSSS....great post

And no one is asking for 80 points a game, we're asking to convert better than 35% of 3rd downs. I'm not mad we only scored 7 points today, I'm mad that our offense got worse as the game progressed.

Dude. This is the worst weather the team has played in since the Snow Bowl against Buffalo. This cannot be emphasized enough.

In the Steelers/Fins Mud Bowl, 5 years back, the Fins were 25% and the Steelers were 33% on 3rd downs. Neither team lived up to the stat that you offered. The Browns were 26% on 3rd down today. Again, that Steelers team made it to the playoffs that very year. Granted, I am not saying that the Browns are making the playoffs, but what I'm saying is that we are definitely progressing as a team. Look at all the mistakes that happened in our scoring drive (Gordon drops a TD, Weeden overthrows a TD), and we found the end zone in spite of those mistakes. That is progression.

Their defense is ranked 2nd against the rush because teams have been pass heavy against them throwing for 268 yards a game, which is ranked 28th in the league coming into today. They locked down DMC and Chris Johnson early this season, sure. But at that point both of them were struggling to do anything against air. Stats are stats, but context is better. Their rush defense is about as overrated as our pass defense was last season, teams didn't need to pass because we gave up 134 yards per game on the ground. The truth is, San Diego was 1-3 in their last 4 games coming into today giving up over 20 ppg in each contest. And to be proud that we scored 7 on such an average defense is asinine. And I'm not saying Trent wasn't great today, because he was.

I'd rather us win than lose, but I'm not gonna sit here and be satisfied simply because we won. I'm not finding things to complain about, I'm talking about what I saw on the field today. We watched a team beat themselves when we were begging to lose. We were lucky that Meachem dropped a TD pass and we were lucky that Hardesty recovered his own fumble. Am I happy we lucked out? Yes. But we can't ignore that those things happened just because we came out with a win today.

You think our coaches are happy with todays performance? No. You think our players feel they could have done much better? Yes.

"Go watch the Packers" - What does that mean, exactly?

Nobody is asking you to be satisfied. What we're saying is that to complain about the fact that we didn't win this game ourselves is ridiculous.

The team who makes the most mistakes is more often than not the one who loses. We have been a team who makes mistakes. We have been a team who doesn't capitalize. We have been a team that has had games all but gift-wrapped for us, only to see us lose in the final minutes.

So, to win today is huge.

They've also played against Drew Brees, Peyton Manning and Matt Ryan in their last 4 games. Their one win was against a Matt Cassel led Chiefs team. Forgive me if they don't win against QB's who have combined for something like 50 TD's and 15 INT's on the season.

And in that win they gave up 88 yards and a TD to Jamaal Charles. The other three games the teams they played passed all over them. They're not a good defense, at all. They stop mediocre offenses, sure, but to be given the label of a "good defense" you have to stop good offenses.

And I'm just sharing my opinion, the whole "no one asked you to be satisfied" statement is useless. You could say that about anyone's opinion ever.

yeah now all you buttfucks who said 3 days ago that they want a domed stadium pleez stand up!

yeah, i'll have to make a list just to call out the queefs who love a one point win in an afcn style game because of the weather being such a huge factor but want heated seats, a retractable dome and glory holes in the bathroom stalls.

no balls.

And in that win they gave up 88 yards and a TD to Jamaal Charles. The other three games the teams they played passed all over them. They're not a good defense, at all. They stop mediocre offenses, sure, but to be given the label of a "good defense" you have to stop good offenses.

And I'm just sharing my opinion, the whole "no one asked you to be satisfied" statement is useless. You could say that about anyone's opinion ever.

The reason no one cares about your opinion is because you are asking the team to put up at least a 28 point game where they played in one of the worst weather situations that the team has played in the past decade. There is a reason both Rivers and Weeden only threw for around 150 each. This game came down to being able to run the ball and we did. If they weather had been clear I would agree with you if we won 7-6, but I am impressed with the play we saw with those weather conditions.

Im pretty sure the hurricane rain bands had something to do with it you moron. Not our defense. Stupid cocksucker.

I suppose a strong gust of wind went up Buster Skrine's asshole allowing him to make that athletic play batting the ball down to ice the game for us then right? It could have just as easily been 9-7 loss for us. Sure, the D bent, but they didn't break and they came up big when they needed it on a day that not many points were going to be scored by either team. Now you're on here writing whiny bitch-boy posts about "hollow" victories. Again, will all due respect, blow it out your ass.

Both teams played an awful game in really bad weather..

A win is a win but it is hard to feel good about this one..

However it does beat the frustrating feeling of losing yet another one in the last minutes of the game due to poor clock management and bad coaching decisions..

Nevertheless we still had both of those shurmur endorsed trademark factors working against the browns on our last offensive drive but still managed to pull this one out..

Shut the fuck up already. Go fucking watch the Packers, asshole.

I'm tired of these bitchy posters that find anything to complain over. Our rookie RB came back from a rib injury and gashed the 2nd ranked rush defense for 122 yards and a TD. Our QB, who many have dubbed as an INT machine, threw 0 INT's for the second straight week.

It wasn't the best performance, but you have to learn how to win ugly before you can win pretty. We've dropped enough close games this season for this to be something to find inspiration in, yet you want to complain?

Oh, Meachem dropped a wide open TD? Boo fucking hoo, pussy. Do you think Colts fans last week were complaining when Gordon dropped a wide open TD?

You want 80 points a game? Watch Oregon.

And for the record, throwing a season because you want a higher draft pick is an absolute disgrace and even mentioning it shows why you sit at home on Sundays while the real men are on the field. You're a fucking weasel if you toss a season to get a higher draft pick and you deserve the worst form of dick leprosy on that tiny pinprick you wank in your bathroom.

Some of you don't deserve a Browns win, you sillynanny fucking queefs.

I second that!! I was at the game, with about 30,00 others. Feels great to get a home win, something we haven't done a good job at since 2007.

I suppose a strong gust of wind went up Buster Skrine's asshole allowing him to make that athletic play batting the ball down to ice the game for us then right? It could have just as easily been 9-7 loss for us. Sure, the D bent, but they didn't break and they came up big when they needed it on a day that not many points were going to be scored by either team. Now you're on here writing whiny bitch-boy posts about "hollow" victories. Again, will all due respect, blow it out your ass.

This is priceless. Thanks for the laugh.

40 degrees, 25 mph wind with gusts up to 60 mph.

At that temperature with that wind, it feels like it's below freezing, and instead of snowing, the water remains a liquid which makes you colder and less responsive. The weather was a huge factor in this game. In my opinion, this was the worst weather we've had since the snow bowl against buffalo.

In some ways worse. I didn't make that Bills game, but i did make the Chargers game several years earlier...while colder and snow, it was no comparison to how miserable yesterday was. Wet, freezing rain is the only way to describe it....with winds.

It was a good win.

The offense played like garbage and SD beat themselves. Our D wasn't anything special. The win feels hollow, nothing positive gained this week and we went down in draft position. Not the great feeling I was hoping for accompanying a win today.

Obviously, you have never played team sports or won a scrappy hard fought game.

I was there and the weather was WAY WAY WAY worse then it looked on TV. We went into on of the bars at the stadium and watching the game on the TV made it look like a noce autumn day. WHUCH IT WAS NOT. The wind was howling and the rain was coming down sideways. SO to win in those conditions was AWESOME

Yeah, I watched from the Seattle area, and only the fact that I spent my early years in the Cleveland area can I appreciate the weather.

Even from video I could see some nasty sheets of rain . . . no way to get an impact of the temp/wind chill factor though.

Yeah, it was a win (and I'll take it), but I can understand how others felt it was a loss.

Draft pick?

Is there really anyone worth the #1 pick in the projected players coming out this year (no Luck, no RG III)?

My only complaint is it adds to the "keep Shurmur" pile, which I'm sorry to say I'm not for.

Have to say I am surprised at this win (as I was with the Indy loss).

Statistically, we should have easily lost this one (and won at Indy), so I guess it's a wash.

Now the Ravens . . . ouch, that's one (stat wise) that was as ugly as could be, I'll have to go back and revisit some numbers on this one for Sunday.

The offense played like garbage and SD beat themselves. Our D wasn't anything special. The win feels hollow, nothing positive gained this week and we went down in draft position. Not the great feeling I was hoping for accompanying a win today.

I'm sorry, but you're WAY off base. "Nothing positive????" How about a WIN. That is the ONLY important positive about any game. This team battled, and battled, and battled. We showed that we can dominate the line of scrimmage, on both sides of the ball, which is HUGE. If you're just watching Weeden, the secondary, and the WRs then I guess your statements are justified, but take a 2nd look at the Oline and Dline. They played VERY well.

Really? What section.do.you sit in?

i can tell you that he wasn't at the game on Sunday since he was in the tavern with the rest of us who weren't at the game either.

I would've been there if I was in town....a little cold and rain won't scare me away! :-)

Im pretty sure the hurricane rain bands had something to do with it you moron. Not our defense. Stupid cocksucker.

It's time for you to stop talking. You're objectively wrong, and have been with every post in this thread. The Browns won, San Diego lost.. and clearly you need to deal with that.

Go troll a politics board somewhere. This is a forum for people who are positive about the Browns. Unless you actually support the Browns, it's not "your" defense.

It's time for you to stop talking. You're objectively wrong, and have been with every post in this thread. The Browns won, San Diego lost.. and clearly you need to deal with that.

Go troll a politics board somewhere. This is a forum for people who are positive about the Browns. Unless you actually support the Browns, it's not "your" defense.

A little bit of support for our team???? What an idea

You're missing the point. You're concerning yourself with SD beating themselves, but you should be celebrating the fact that the Browns didn't beat themselves. Have you been watching the Browns this season? The Browns have made plenty of teams "lucky" with dropped TD passes. Which is worse, an ugly win or a 1-7 record? You want the no. 1 overall draft pick? I want to see this team grow together, develop chemistry and learn how to win.

Archived