THE BROWNS BOARD

Rolando Mcclain

Flyin J

Id love to take a shot on this guy...2010 #8 pick, solid rookie campaign, 99 tkl 8 sacks last year....was benched this year for lack of production in a new defensive scheme...IMO hed walk in the second best linebacker on the roster and we'd have one less hole to fill moving forward if it works out, if it doesnt were not locked in a long term deal...But my money is on him coming back with a vengeance with plenty to prove....low risk high upside move if we claim him.

"During the 2012 NFL season, in which the Raiders' defense has struggled and is statistically the worst defense in the league, McClain has seen his playing time decrease following a 37-6 rout by the division rival Denver Broncos. During a week 4 game against Denver, McClain played in 73 snaps; but following the bye, the Raiders made the decision to replace him with 4th round rookie Miles Burris in their nickel package, resulting in McClain playing only 17 snaps compared to Burris' 55 in the week 6 game against the Atlanta Falcons. Head coach Dennis Allen was quoted as saying that he has been impressed with Burris' ability to make corrections on the fly, saying the linebacker was not a "repeat offender" when it came to mistakes and a smart football player overall, indicating the coaching staff's belief that McClain was guilty of poor decision-making and too many errors.[20]

According to sources within the Raiders, it was reported by NFL.com's Albert Breer and Ian Rapoport that McClain had been kicked out of an official team practice session on November 29 due to an "incident".[21] McClain then took to social media outlet Facebook and released a series of comments stating that he was ". . .no longer an Oakland Raider!!" and that he was ". . .mentally done." with the team, wishing ". . .to be anywhere besides here".[22].

McClain had been drafted with the hopes that he could help improve the Raiders' run defense, an area where the team had been consistently among the worst in the league. Following a string of poor first round picks by late owner/GM Al Davis, the selection of Rolando McClain was applauded by many analysts. Throughout his tenure however McClain has not only failed to help bolster the defense against the run, but he has also shown to be a liability in pass coverage.

McClain was released by the Raiders on November 29, 2012.[23]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolando_McClain

He sounds like a bust.

Zombo

Sometimes, occasionally, the grass is greener elsewhere. See Jame Harrison as an example of a guy that couldn't make it until several years into his career and a fresh start in a system that could best use his capabilities.

My question though is this: is this all superfluous speculation? Unlike Babin this guy has not been released. Is he a FA next year?

Sometimes, occasionally, the grass is greener elsewhere. See Jame Harrison as an example of a guy that couldn't make it until several years into his career and a fresh start in a system that could best use his capabilities.

My question though is this: is this all superfluous speculation? Unlike Babin this guy has not been released. Is he a FA next year?

He was released. He's also been convicted of a weapons charge. Obviously not a team player in Oakland. Or in the very least, immature.

He's a reclamation project. I doubt we are going there. Friend and teammate of Trent at bama though.

Zombo

This dude went to a night club, pistol whipped some guy half to death, and then smiled at the camera's when he got arrested.

I would have been fine with us taking a chance on a guy like Burfict who was out of shape/smoked pot. Or Mike Adams who smoked pot, but not a guy who is more likely to get in trouble than not.

McClain is very talented but he's a knucklehead and as a young team we don't need that. Let the Bungles have him, they like their players in jail.

He was released. He's also been convicted of a weapons charge. Obviously not a team player in Oakland. Or in the very least, immature.

He's a reclamation project. I doubt we are going there. Friend and teammate of Trent at bama though.

Zombo

Perfect fit for the Bengals.

Well, some in the past have proclaimed that they wanted the Browns to shed their "nice guy" image...to get some nasty boys on this team to toughen it up.

Its a risk, but maybe one worth taking?

Problem is, he has been nasty off the field, not on it.

Zombo

• 5 months later...
Retired at 23 Ravens LB McClain retires before playing with teamThe Associated Press – 32 minutes ago
RELATED CONTENT
  • 201305151236453654048-p2.jpegView Photo

FILE - This is a 2012 file photo showing then Oakland Raiders football player Rolando McClain. Baltimore Ravens linebacker McClain is facing new charges …

OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP) -- Linebacker Rolando McClain has told the Baltimore Ravens that he's retiring from the NFL.

The 23-year-old McClain played three seasons with the Oakland Raiders before signing a one-year contract with Baltimore as a free agent on April 12.

''Rolando let me know that he plans to retire from the NFL,'' Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said Wednesday. ''We have placed him on the Reserve/Retired list.''

Ten days after signing with the Ravens, McClain was arrested in Decatur, Alabama, and charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

It was the third time McClain was arrested in Decatur since 2011. He was previously charged in a 2011 shooting, and police arrested him in January on charges of having his car windows tinted too darkly and trying to lie about his identity.

McClain was sentenced to jail on an assault charge after the shooting, but prosecutors later dismissed the case.

A city judge dismissed the January charge against McClain of trying to lie about his identity. He pleaded guilty to the window tint violation and paid a $182 fine.

Before joining the Ravens, McClain spent his first three NFL seasons with the Oakland Raiders. He was the eighth overall pick in the 2010 draft out of Alabama.

In 41 games with Oakland he had 274 tackles, 6 1/2 sacks and one interception. In his final season, he was suspended for two games for conduct detrimental to the team.

The Ravens also have another McClain, Jameel McClain, who I think was actually the starter at the position that Rolando McClain played....middle Linebacker.

I think Rolando was just the backup.

Issue: does this weaken them at that position? I mean, they did also just lose Ray Lewis.

The Ravens also have another McClain, Jameel McClain, who I think was actually the starter at the position that Rolando McClain played....middle Linebacker.

I think Rolando was just the backup.

Issue: does this weaken them at that position? I mean, they did also just lose Ray Lewis.

I'm sure it did. He may have been nothing more than a rotational guy at this point but still he was part of the equation.

As much as I loathe the ravens, if Ozzie Newsome got his hands on him and he went this route it's a lost cause. I know he wasn't a personal mentor or anything but still. I wouldn't doubt if Oz and the gang told him he wasn't going to make it so he "retired" instead.

Archived