THE BROWNS BOARD

To The Victims

why cant we win

Dozens Killed in School Bus Crash in Egypt - NYTimes.com www.nytimes.com/2012/11/18/world/middleeast/dozens-killed-in-school-bus-crash-in-egypt.html www.nytimes.com/2012/11/18/world/middleeast/dozens-killed-in-school-bus-crash-in-egypt.html Nov 17, 2012 ... A train slammed into a school bus as it crossed tracks in a town south of Cairo, dragging the ... Dozens Killed, Mostly Children, in Egypt Crash ...

Eliminate trains and school buses ?

Outlaw all rr crossings? All those people murdered on 9/11? No guns.

Just mentally ill and violent nutjobs.

The mentally ill murderer could have used propone tanks in a classroom or something.

It isn't guns. It's mental illness - perhaps as a result of drug use damage.

The manson family murdered plenty of people - with knives.

All sorts of tragedies via arson.

For whatever reason, it's mental illness to act out in such a horrific manner.

These tragedies make all of us cringe. In this instance,

such a tragedy wouldn't have happened if the mother had simply kept the guns in a gun safe,

completely secure from being misused by any other unauthorized person or persons.

Great post!! Finally someone with reason and common sense!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hadn't hugged my 17yr old daughter in quite some time, but I did so yesterday. My heart aches for the families, and I wonder how they will go on. I'm not sure I'm strong enough to go on if I were them, and God willing, I'll never know. The thing that made me toss & turn all night was imagining the absolute fear and terror that those kids went through before they died. Maybe someday we'll all know why things like this happen.

A mental patient attacked and stabbed 22 kids at a school In China yesterday. There were zero fatalaties.

Guns kill people.

NO Cysko, it's the crazy, looned out, dickless prick behind the guns that kill people

such a tragedy wouldn't have happened if the mother had simply kept the guns in a gun safe,

completely secure from being misused by any other unauthorized person or persons.

bullshit. so you're saying the kid wouldn't have known how to open his mom's gun safe?

you have to ask yourself, even you gun freaks, why a mom had a glock, a sig sauer and an assault rifle and was allowed to teach kindergarten. something doesn't seem right about that whole thing. i know if i had a kid in school i would want to know everything about that motherfucker that is teaching my kid all the way down to the color of the socks she likes to wear. the biggest problem with our law enforcement is the lack of a nationwide database that allows background checks at a town level on people that are being considered for employment by schools etc. at any level. i don't know how it works now BUT if i had it my way once you purchase a gun there should be a record of you on file at local state and federal law enforcement agencies of YOU with a picture of your mug and what type of gun you own. and every time you buy another one that record is updated. that way the local police can see if mrs. crabtree is stock piling weapons for THE GOD FEARING FIRE FROM THE SKY HOLY ROLLIN ARMAGEDDON yuk. yuk.

we are above and beyond the most violent country in the world. and it all has to do with the right to bear arms. it's got nothing to do with god. there is such a thing as being instilled with morals and that's what's lacking with the break down of our society. single mothers. no father figures to beat the shit out of junior if he was even to think of doing something stupid. hell all the kids at the local high school are driving more expensive cars than i have and they all go to lunch down the street at starbucks. no boundaries agreed.

do like the israelis and make these whining little punks do 2 years in the army right out of school. you'll find out real quick who the nutjobs are and you can stick em in the brig.

I'll reply to it on the politics board.

Fuck that. This post is just fucking laughable.

1 - Yes. The people who commit these acts are mentally ill. It's not an excuse for them to do it, it's only a part of the motivation. Your attitude (along with most of the general public) towards mental health is the reason that people don't seek help for this shit. Mental illness is stigmatized, 10% of the country suffers from depression, and an estimated 25% of the country (that's ~70 million people) has some sort of mental illness. The stigma needs to go because these things are treatable.

2 - I just want you to acknowledge that you're saying homosexuality is a slippery slope to mass killings. Really?

Regarding mental illness- I don't stigmatize it. One person at work , & one neighbor- bipolar. Couple of relatives on meds for depression & other assorted stuff. BTW, as a medical professional- I've been exposed to the worst cases of mental illness- firsthand. Got to meet one chick that was so fucked up mentally she thought I was Jesus, or the Blessed Virgin. Re-read Ghoolie's last reply- he said it better than I could.

Yup, in a permissive "anything goes" society guys arming themselves and walking into a school to see how many people they can kill IS a result of that attitude, presence or lack of mental illness aside. Certainly a contributing factor. For the time being, I'll leave Gays out of the equation, I suppose there's plenty of other politically correct examples I could use, if I felt like typing them.

Crap like this, as Ghoolster said- was a rare occurrence 30-40 years ago, so want to tell me there's a higher percentage of mentally ill persons in the population now as opposed to then? I suppose part of the problems is with the far better media coverage we have today, there's a bunch of copycat mayhem for those so inclined.

I'd have to agree- for whatever reason, there are individuals in this world who have turned to "the Dark Side". Are all terrorists and suicide bombers mentally ill?

I typed up a long and thoughtful reply to this and bam. An error occurred. My gist is that both mental health and the availability of guns need to be addressed. One is not enough.

Sorry you lost that post, I got the same error- but copied and save my response.

All the victims, which include the deceased, their loved ones, and all who were subjected to this horrible tragedy in any way are in my prayers.

I sincerely hope the mother hadn't purchased the gun(s) in her name for a son who may not have been qualified to make the purchase. Also, I question why the rise in mental illness and the inability of many to function within normal society? I wonder if at least some of it could be traced to the casual use of drugs in our society that really started in the '60s. How many "drug babies" are out there?

Our family makes it a habit to end every meeting or phone call to one another with "I love you". You just never know...

Mike

Quit your whining. "Oh, I was given this horrible situation, poor me". STFU. You just proved Ghoolie hit the nail on the head. And you probably don't even realize it.

And what is he doing differently. He claims no one takes blame for themselves and then he goes on to blame our country's woes on liberals, homosexuals, atheists, ect. Fact of the matter is that everyone in this country should take responsibility for what is going on and Conservatives and Liberals need to stop bitching and complaining at each other while pointing the blame fingers to the other side of the aisle. That's the reason our country is shit show right now. We need a flat rate on taxes across the board with no max tax ceiling (no more of this fighting for the extremely rich and poor while pretending to give a shit about the middle class which makes up a majority of this country), we need to cut government dependency programs across the board which includes unemployment, medicare, social security, and medicare (I know the old folks won't like that but the fact of the matter is that those programs were a big reasons why our country is in the shitter now).

Some of you hate filled bastards need to realize no political, religious, sexual, racial, and economic affiliations are more to be blamed. Our country thrives on violence because that is what the majority of the people in our country like. You get a kid who wasn't properly raised or was maybe legit abused (not as in spanked but as in beaten) and combine it with the kind of stuff you can see online and the easy access to any information they want and you will see how we have more mass attacks now a days. But if China shows us anything, its not just us. This shit is happening everywhere.

And what is he doing differently. He claims no one takes blame for themselves and then he goes on to blame our country's woes on liberals, homosexuals, atheists, ect. Fact of the matter is that everyone in this country should take responsibility for what is going on and Conservatives and Liberals need to stop bitching and complaining at each other while pointing the blame fingers to the other side of the aisle. That's the reason our country is shit show right now. We need a flat rate on taxes across the board with no max tax ceiling (no more of this fighting for the extremely rich and poor while pretending to give a shit about the middle class which makes up a majority of this country), we need to cut government dependency programs across the board which includes unemployment, medicare, social security, and medicare (I know the old folks won't like that but the fact of the matter is that those programs were a big reasons why our country is in the shitter now).

Some of you hate filled bastards need to realize no political, religious, sexual, racial, and economic affiliations are more to be blamed. Our country thrives on violence because that is what the majority of the people in our country like. You get a kid who wasn't properly raised or was maybe legit abused (not as in spanked but as in beaten) and combine it with the kind of stuff you can see online and the easy access to any information they want and you will see how we have more mass attacks now a days. But if China shows us anything, its not just us. This shit is happening everywhere.

Social security was raped by the Government taking from it to pay for other programs for years, hence the deficit. I would hardly put them into the same category as unemployment. I've been paying into Social Security and Medicare since I was 17 and am now 58. Haven't gotten a dime back. You want to cut that?

wow. what a dumb calous response to this rising rage of society. yeah we cry now and all of you holy rollers put these people in your prayers BUT what are YOU willing to do? seriously?

will you god forsaken AK47 thumpers let the government amend the gun laws? doubt it.

so don't sit up here in your high chair calling for jesus while you're cleaning out you smith and wesson. YOU ALL are the problem.

"i need guns for my protection", really? why? what are you smuggling kilos of coke through the everglades and bringing up 95? what, you got some psycho brethren lookin to knock your doors down? WTF?? if you live like that you deserve what you got coming. so you're gonna add 30 guns to your stash in a small town? what a bunch of flakes. pitiful. seriously. you should be ashamed of yourselves. every time they read a name of the young victims on TV you should drop on your old weathered assed knees (cuz ya gotta be old to be havin a truck full-o-guns) and ask YOUR MFing god to forgive YOU. YOU are the problem.

hallejuhia!! break out the snakes and drink some moonshine you fickle motherfuckers.

wow. what a dumb calous response to this rising rage of society. yeah we cry now and all of you holy rollers put these people in your prayers BUT what are YOU willing to do? seriously?

will you god forsaken AK47 thumpers let the government amend the gun laws? doubt it.

so don't sit up here in your high chair calling for jesus while you're cleaning out you smith and wesson. YOU ALL are the problem.

"i need guns for my protection", really? why? what are you smuggling kilos of coke through the everglades and bringing up 95? what, you got some psycho brethren lookin to knock your doors down? WTF?? if you live like that you deserve what you got coming. so you're gonna add 30 guns to your stash in a small town? what a bunch of flakes. pitiful. seriously. you should be ashamed of yourselves. every time they read a name of the young victims on TV you should drop on your old weathered assed knees (cuz ya gotta be old to be havin a truck full-o-guns) and ask YOUR MFing god to forgive YOU. YOU are the problem.

hallejuhia!! break out the snakes and drink some moonshine you fickle motherfuckers.

I asked several people today who proclaim "I need my gun to protect my family"...........how many people have you killed with your gun to protect your family? The answer is none. I live in the bible belt and guns and god seem to go hand in hand.

I asked several people today who proclaim "I need my gun to protect my family"...........how many people have you killed with your gun to protect your family? The answer is none. I live in the bible belt and guns and god seem to go hand in hand.

hallejuhia.

i'm sure god would have said/or does say "pick up your guns and follow me!".

Retards.

i really want to know from all you fuckin right wing NRA freaks what is your response?

the NRA and all you GOD toting gun FREAKS should take a step back and look at yourselves in the mirror.

thanks a lot.

CMON! WHERE YOU AT?!?!?!

what do you right wing fucking NRA motherfuckers got to say for yourselves?

i doubt anyone of you have the balls to come on here right now after this (another) tragedy and balk about your right to bear arms.

c'mon. i wanna know. so i can list you on the "call-the-cops-the-guy-has-a-gun list".

you know our forefathers never knew we would end up like this when they wrote the constitution, don't you?

Does anyone feel guilty for owning a car, when some mentally ill person runs it into a crowd?

The same, for owning a knife.

"you knife owners, you jerks allowed the charles manson family to kill a bunch of people."

"and, if o j simpson hadn't had a knife and a glove, those two people he killed would be alive today"

and, all farmers who used that nitrate for fertilzer? World trade center bombing.

9/11 ? all those Americans who have supported the existence of airplanes by paying to fly in them.

And ropes, anyone who owns a rope should feel guilty about all the hangings back in the day?

And all those who own a baseball bat, well, just go look at the game of "Clue" and see the weapons of choice

there.

Come on. The kid has charles manson eyes. the exact same look that the kid in the theater did.

This mentally disturbed kid had to be home schooled because he was unable to socially adapt to being in school with others.

Those guns weren't the problem. Not keeping them locked up securely was.

sure. pass the hat and all will be good. money money money. NRA.

you guys are full of shit and it's amazing to me that you can look in the mirror and smile at yourself knowing that you would not even be deemed righteous with all the blaphemous skullduggering out-of-wedlock fornication you have scorned the earth with your seed....probably spitting out dummies and psychos that go around shooting little babies.

i've seen it all pal. yeah they scared the shit out of me as a kid with the bible. that's why it was written. to keep assholes in line by the fear of forever burning in hell. you ever read any other books? there are a lot out there. some have good endings some don't. put a kid in a room and have them read stephen king and tell them an evil clown is going to get them and they'll believe it.

so are you just dumb or gullible? for all the world knowledge that you aspound you sure sound pretty stoopid.

ronald reagan was the devil (look under his scalp) and you were his acolytes. idiots.

tom: do you keep a bible in the glove compartment right above your 9mm?

yeah, thought so.

sure. pass the hat and all will be good. money money money. NRA.

you guys are full of shit and it's amazing to me that you can look in the mirror and smile at yourself knowing that you would not even be deemed righteous with all the blaphemous skullduggering out-of-wedlock fornication you have scorned the earth with your seed....probably spitting out dummies and psychos that go around shooting little babies.

i've seen it all pal. yeah they scared the shit out of me as a kid with the bible. that's why it was written. to keep assholes in line by the fear of forever burning in hell. you ever read any other books? there are a lot out there. some have good endings some don't. put a kid in a room and have them read stephen king and tell them an evil clown is going to get them and they'll believe it.

so are you just dumb or gullible? for all the world knowledge that you aspound you sure sound pretty stoopid.

ronald reagan was the devil (look under his scalp) and you were his acolytes. idiots.

tom: do you keep a bible in the glove compartment right above your 9mm?

yeah, thought so.

Oh shut the fuck up Toxic. You make me sick with about 90 percent of your bolded responses. You blame all of society that owns guns for one wacked out 20 year old who goes on a killing spree. Go look at your picture of when you served as a cook, or whatever the hell you were in the Army. And Reagan was the best president in my life time. And don't talk about being old or whatever, you said you're 50, so you're not a spring chicken.

Ghoolie, do you believe everything in the Bible actually happened ?

no. he knows. like everyone else does. that's why he can't say SHIT.

how many other civilizations believed in a god and where are they at now? i do NOT believe that there is no god BUT why does it have to be yours? how about i believe in buddhism? maybe i'm a muslim? it has to be YOUR god?

goodness comes from the heart. to do good things doesn't mean you physically have to go into a church or cross your heart in an act of showing your faith. just do good things.

this whole discussion turned on it's head when THEY had to throw in GOD when talking about a GUN shooting tragedy and then blame it on a liberal political base. GTFO. now i'm watching a live feed of mike 'motherfucking god-lovin' huckleberry spouting god with every two words about the little kids getting shot. where was god, he asks? some old dumbfuck preacher says "he was there". really? well why didn't he pick up HIS motherfucking .357 and shoot that psycho in his motherfucking head before he shot 20 fucking kids?

southerners, religion and guns. we're all doomed.

i'll drink to that.

you said you're 50, so you're not a spring chicken.

51 on wednesday. what's that got to do with anything you prick?

i give you props as a vet but obviously you've been stuck in your hole for too long.

climb outside and breath some air and look at the sky. yeah. god did that.

HA!

Morgan Freeman's brilliant take on what happened yesterday :

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single *victim* of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news."

Morgan Freeman's brilliant take on what happened yesterday :

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single *victim* of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news."

Well put Morgan. For added effect, the next "I can top this" guy should bring along a scimitar and behead a few of his victims.

Does anyone feel guilty for owning a car, when some mentally ill person runs it into a crowd?

The same, for owning a knife.

"you knife owners, you jerks allowed the charles manson family to kill a bunch of people."

"and, if o j simpson hadn't had a knife and a glove, those two people he killed would be alive today"

and, all farmers who used that nitrate for fertilzer? World trade center bombing.

9/11 ? all those Americans who have supported the existence of airplanes by paying to fly in them.

And ropes, anyone who owns a rope should feel guilty about all the hangings back in the day?

And all those who own a baseball bat, well, just go look at the game of "Clue" and see the weapons of choice

there.

Come on. The kid has charles manson eyes. the exact same look that the kid in the theater did.

This mentally disturbed kid had to be home schooled because he was unable to socially adapt to being in school with others.

Those guns weren't the problem. Not keeping them locked up securely was.

Sorry Cal. poor analogy. Cars and baseball bats were designed (and ammonium nitrate is used) with other purposes in mind, that they can become instruments of death is secondary. The primary purpose of of an assault rifle is to kill people- lots of them. It's what it was designed for, no? See many guys deer hunting with AK47s or M-16s? Didn't think so. So you want to use one to shoot 100 holes in targets? OK, we'll let you sign one out, and bring it back to be locked up after you're done.

This incident just might be the tipping point that's going to get weapons of this sort banned.

CMON! WHERE YOU AT?!?!?!

i doubt anyone of you have the balls to come on here right now after this (another) tragedy and balk about your right to bear arms.

c'mon. i wanna know. so i can list you on the "call-the-cops-the-guy-has-a-gun list".

you know our forefathers never knew we would end up like this when they wrote the constitution, don't you?

Most of us are in bed. What a dork....make a post at 10:40 PM, then start calling people out 20 minutes later. LOL

CMON! WHERE YOU AT?!?!?!

Go read D.C. vs Heller, or Heller vs D.C. and learn what the SC has to say on the matter. Then try to not be such a loud-mouthed fool in front of everyone.

CMON! WHERE YOU AT?!?!?!

you and all your atheist assholes would think differently the moment if / when a tradgedy hit you -

just like there are "no atheist's in foxholes" so are the likes of cowards like you in need of justice

at the expense of the responsible (civil and/or private) individuals who KNOW the danger exists,

and ACTS on yours and my behalf!

I laugh at your "tough guy persona" - phony......

" there are no atheist's in foxholes"

Maybe because atheists are too smart to swallow all of the god & country/glory nonsense rammed down everyone's throat by the church and state.

In any event, the arguments going on about what caused this horrific tragedy reminds me of the poem of the blind men and the elephant. Everyone sees the cause through their own experience (and agenda) when in reality all of the factors mentioned here are contributors.

Yes, unaddressed mental illness is a problem.

Yes, lack of personal responsibility is a factor.

Yes, violence in media can have a desensitizing effect, especially on young males who are already pretty unsympathetic.

But the fact remains that modern firearms are tremendously efficient and dangerous tools for killing given the reasons that drive us to want to kill.

So, like the blind men trying to describe the elephant based on each one's own experience, we each only address part of the problem and disagree about which is most to blame.

"Each in his own opinion

exceeding stiff and strong;

Though each was partly in the right,

they all were in the wrong!"

For the record, I have always been in favor of the right to bear arms but in light of these kinds of tragedies, we really need to review at least the process if not the policy in it's entirety.

Dammit, Mr. Hoorta, you are right. My analogy sucked just like you said. It's just that it's hard to find one....

Still, I carry my 9mm with me out back, way out past the soybean field, in the woods.

I carried with me going to N Carolina. Yeah, the purpose of guns is different.

But the misuse of guns is a tiny little percentage of the millions and millions of people who have them.

If that hutjob (gone now), had walked thirty yards toward the tree I went behind, because he was insanely screaming

about not being allowed to hunt on our newly bought farm...

I wouldn't be here today. Instead, he didn't, and the Deputies got out there FAST.

Should we start posting the home invasions where the home owners were defenseless?

Gun haters can rant all they want, but getting rid of all guns does NOT WORK. Crime goes up.

Illegally owned gun crime goes up.

Even if guns magically didn't exist - not one family in our country would be safe in their homes.

Thousands and thousands of folks have ccw licenses BECAUSE of crime. Criminals who don't even have guns.

People get knifed. Frail grandparents can't just rely on pepper spray. It takes one and a half seconds for an attacker to

get to you, at best. Calling 911 won't help anybody. I have never defended assault weapons - if the definition of them means automatic

weapons - machine guns.

But those are NOT in question here. Nobody kills anybody with machine guns, yet that is the fall back position all too often.

But putting up signs that say I can't ccw inside a building, is fine by me. But the mentally ill criminals don't go by that.

If somehow, all guns were magically gone from our society, and we all decided they don't exist anymore...

criminals will still have them. The black market on illegal guns would skyrocket.

Guns DO, however, have a better purpose than killing.

That purpose is...

defense. As in, you never know when a family has a parent with ccw weapon.... so don't go after them

when they are out fishing, OR in their homes.

My instructor had some friends who never owned guns, and didn't want anyone else to have them.

Until one night, out at Berlin Resavoir, they went out fishing that night, and when they came back in to go home..

one car was parked next to theirs, and four guys were milling around it. It was very late, and they were afraid to go in,

they stayed out on the lake for over an hour, then finally, the four left in their car. They didn't have a cell phone on them.

Now they pack, and they have cell phones, and they still won't take their boat their anymore.

You don't know anymore.

Getiing rid of all guns is like getting rid of all armies. One corrupt, illegal army will win every time.

bullshit. so you're saying the kid wouldn't have known how to open his mom's gun safe?

No bullshit on you man. My friend has a finger print secured safe for quick access. And a iron combination safe for his rifles. So what your saying is this kid would of been able to cut his mom's hand off (plausible, lol) or has learned the ins and outs of safe cracking? You are 100% wrong. If these guns were secured by either option, this tragedy would not of happened.

The fact is, is it is our 2nd Amendment right to own a gun. PERIOD. Until that is changed, people need to secure their weapons.

My proposal, anyone who purchases a gun also needs to purchase a secure gun safe. If that weapon is used illegally, the person owning the gun shall see punishment as well, by way of a felony.

Archived