THE BROWNS BOARD

Weeden Blows! December, 2012

BrownsFan4Evr

I will say Weeden and the offense has been shit.

WASH had a huge gift with weeds pick to start the 2nd half/ tone for the rest of the game.

T rich hasnt really been utilized much.

Cousins looks solid. The play action is killing the d.

Somewhat embarrasing performance

So, this team should be in playoff contention next year??? Still doesn't look like it to me. This team still has a ways to go.

The New York Football Giants got there ass handed to them 34-0 by the Falcons. Anything can happen in the NFL. Remember they won the Super Bowl last year.

The New York Football Giants got there ass handed to them 34-0 by the Falcons. Anything can happen in the NFL. Remember they won the Super Bowl last year.

I know but the Giants have proved in the past that they can contend. The Browns have beat 3 shitty teams and everyone acts like they're a playoff team. Great enthusiasm but it's not reality.

So a team has to win a Super Bowl before their fans can root for the team? That makes no sense..

Why don't you read the entire posts. I said people were saying on here that the Browns will be a playoff contender next season. I disagreed. This game is exactly why I don't think the Browns are a playoff team yet. They strung off 3 wins against shit teams and suddenly people think they're playoff bound next season.

The retort was that the Giants got their asses handled to them today, but they are still a playoff team. Yes, that's true because in recent past, this season and last, the Giants have beaten playoff teams. The Browns haven't. Therefore the Browns, in my opinion, are not a playoff contender this season and probably not next.

I'll always root for them, I'm just stating my opinion and giving examples of why I think this way. Thanks.

I'm not sure if I'm taking it the wrong way, but it seemed like he was trying to take the blame off of himself before anyone put it on him.

It made me mad, as if he were trying to better his image and not acknowledge the fact he played a bad game today.

I think it was a team loss but to just flat out say it in the beginning before anyone even asked just makes it seem like he's trying to save himself.

Well, the Browns were outplayed and outcoached today. This game just lets us know how far we still need to go. Weeden was lost as he has been most of the year. Cousins benefited from a coaching staff that had a plan to help him succeed.

The playoff talk was fun but we are still miles away from being contender. BUT with all the negatives......... i still feel good about this team going into next year.

Worst pick Hecket has made yet, i think he felt pressured into taking him by Holmgren and the fact that we missed on RG3....He isnt the answer im sorry guys we gotta look else where... I knew when we made the pick we could have grabbed someone else and just McCoy ride this season out or shit took Cousins or Wilson a guy in a later round who Wasnt a 1st round pick or 29 Fucking years old,who could be better...

Worst pick Hecket has made yet, i think he felt pressured into taking him by Holmgren and the fact that we missed on RG3....He isnt the answer im sorry guys we gotta look else where... I knew when we made the pick we could have grabbed someone else and just McCoy ride this season out or shit took Cousins or Wilson a guy in a later round who Wasnt a 1st round pick or 29 Fucking years old,who could be better...

You need players to make adjustments, this offense has them but not always in the best spots..

I think you need a coach that knows how to make adjustments. We run the same crap EVERY game. There seems to be NO game specific adjustments at all. Just run slants and crossing routes, regardless of the opponent.

I agree Weeden blows this year but I'll stand by the same assessment I have of Shurmur. You start with Weeden next year unless there is a better FA option available. You hope he gets better with a year plus under his belt in the same system with the same receivers. You try and get better and deeper in need positions like LB, OL, WR, FB, TE, DL. If after next year Weeden still hasn't gotten it or Shurmur is clearly holding the team back, make the change, but don't do it for the sake of doing it. The Browns next year will be a long shot to be a playoff team unless Tom Brady walks through the door so lets get some stability for once.

I think you need a coach that knows how to make adjustments. We run the same crap EVERY game. There seems to be NO game specific adjustments at all. Just run slants and crossing routes, regardless of the opponent.

Almost every passing play has a deep, intermediate and checkdown option. This isn't rocket science it is the way schemes are. Passing the ball deep depends on protection, WR speed, QB decision making and defense. If one of those four things goes against the throw it doesn't work. There isn't a "special" playbook that Belichick or Mccarthy has, they've got the talent to execute and Belichick uses a lot of short passes to Welker to setup deeper throws.

Why the in the Hell isn't TBenjamin on the field to stretch it? would probably relieve some pressure up front. Christ look what Torry Smith did for the Ratbirds last year, RAw talent that produced. In this game speed kills. TB could be running deep outs, skinny posts, just about anything. Yet we go with the traditional 2 wr set allowing 8 men up. Shumer needs to go, Weeds needs to get some confidence in his Wr's to make plays themselves. He has a gun, release, needs to have more confidence.

Why the in the Hell isn't TBenjamin on the field to stretch it? would probably relieve some pressure up front. Christ look what Torry Smith did for the Ratbirds last year, RAw talent that produced. In this game speed kills. TB could be running deep outs, skinny posts, just about anything. Yet we go with the traditional 2 wr set allowing 8 men up. Shumer needs to go, Weeds needs to get some confidence in his Wr's to make plays themselves. He has a gun, release, needs to have more confidence.

Our RBs and O line don't scheme block that well so it's tough to go empty or 1 TE.

Weeden is here for at least another season. In the off season he'll recognize and work on 'pocket awareness'. He is terrible in the pocket:

- can't seem to find the open guy

- can't make quick decisions

- can't decide when to do what

- regarding batted balls, he'll recognize that he has to also see the 4 - 9 feet in front of him instead of trying to throw a speedball through the defensesive. The batted balls are the most aggravating, he seems to often to throw right into oncoming traffic - again, seeing the few feet in front of him, as well as down field.

- quit staring down the play. Defenses often have no problem figuring out where the play is going cause Weeden stands and stares until it's time to pull the trigger.

However, there are allot of solid, easily identifable issues he can work on in the off season. The guy was a pro baseball player and should have the athletic smarts to identify and address his shortcomings. Why he hasn't done more this season is a real concern. Guys like Romo, Rothlisberger, Manning, Cousins, Flacco, etc. pull a play out when all looks like a bust. Weeden will calm down and build on that. Not ready to toss the guy just yet, at least until the rest of the team plays above his level. If the offensive line had been better against Washington, Weeden might have made better decisions. He did not have a good game, but Washington made him play to all his weaknesses too. Surprising for a Redskins team that hasn't really shown much of that until the game against Baltimore a week ago.

Weeden is here for at least another season. In the off season he'll recognize and work on 'pocket awareness'. He is terrible in the pocket:

- can't seem to find the open guy

- can't make quick decisions

- can't decide when to do what

- regarding batted balls, he'll recognize that he has to also see the 4 - 9 feet in front of him instead of trying to throw a speedball through the defensesive. The batted balls are the most aggravating, he seems to often to throw right into oncoming traffic - again, seeing the few feet in front of him, as well as down field.

- quit staring down the play. Defenses often have no problem figuring out where the play is going cause Weeden stands and stares until it's time to pull the trigger.

However, there are allot of solid, easily identifable issues he can work on in the off season. The guy was a pro baseball player and should have the athletic smarts to identify and address his shortcomings. Why he hasn't done more this season is a real concern. Guys like Romo, Rothlisberger, Manning, Cousins, Flacco, etc. pull a play out when all looks like a bust. Weeden will calm down and build on that. Not ready to toss the guy just yet, at least until the rest of the team plays above his level. If the offensive line had been better against Washington, Weeden might have made better decisions. He did not have a good game, but Washington made him play to all his weaknesses too. Surprising for a Redskins team that hasn't really shown much of that until the game against Baltimore a week ago.

I think the MAIN reason he hasn't done more this season is Shurmer. It seems to me Shurmer is NOT putting him in a place to succeed. We run the same 5-8 plays ALL game. The defense knows whats coming. When you take a 3 step drop and fire a slant or crossing play, the d-line just stops and puts up their hands. You can't do that ALL DAY LONG and expect to be good in the NFL.

I think the MAIN reason he hasn't done more this season is Shurmer. It seems to me Shurmer is NOT putting him in a place to succeed. We run the same 5-8 plays ALL game. The defense knows whats coming. When you take a 3 step drop and fire a slant or crossing play, the d-line just stops and puts up their hands. You can't do that ALL DAY LONG and expect to be good in the NFL.

I disagree, Weeden struggled early finding receivers 1 on 1 on the outside early.

Eventually they regressed to their typical dig and hitch routes because Weeden wasn't getting it done.

People complained about wanting to see Weeden in the shotgun, well he's been in the shotgun, nothing impressive.

Different QB, same excuses.

I do think Heckert was pressured to get him. He is absolutely terrible. I wanted to give him the whole season to really form an opinion, but damn.

After the draft there were interviews and press conferences, and in them Heckert said (without naming names) that there was a situation where Holmgren stepped in and wanted Tom to take a player (obviously Weeden at 22) and Tom thought he was a good pick but not that high. He told Holmgren (as related in the press conference) that he likes him but not at this spot so if Holmgren wants him to draft him, he was going to half to tell Heckert to make the pick because he really was not who he wanted at that spot. Also, I remember reading that Lerner put heat on Holmgren to get a franchise QB for the Browns which I am sure had something to do with the pick.

All that being said, I have been disappointed with some of Brandon Weeden's games, but I am not ready to cut the guy after a rookie season like some. He needs to be given another year to show, one way or another, if he is the franchise QB that we have been looking for. As a side note, to me he has looked very different from earlier in the year. It seems like they are trying to make him into a game manager instead of a gunslinger. I am not sure if that is really what is going on or if the blame for the change lands on Weeden for being hesitant or the coaches for trying to win games to save their asses instead of developing Brandon..

Archived