THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns To Interview

why cant we win

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8820776/marc-trestman-cleveland-browns-talk-reports

CLEVELAND -- The Cleveland Browns will meet with Marc Trestman, coach of the CFL's Montreal Alouettes, on Monday, according to multiple reports.

The Browns reportedly have scheduled their meeting with Trestman in Chicago, where the Chicago Bears also have an interview scheduled with the coach on Monday, sources told ESPN.

Trestman's resume includes extensive time as an NFL offensive assistant. He has been with Montreal since 2008, leading the Alouettes to two CFL titles in his five seasons.

With Trestman recently signing an extension with the Alouettes that takes his deal through 2016, it's unknown whether he'll be allowed out of his CFL contract if an NFL team decides to hire him.

A source with the Alouettes indicated to ESPNChicago.com that it's likely Trestman would be allowed out of his contract because the team's ownership is "usually pretty good about stuff like that ... although Marc just signed a new extension this year. So I don't know if that might hold things up."

The source added Trestman "works well with a front office" and is "a player's coach for sure."

The Browns met late last week with Chip Kelly but decided to reboot their search for a coach after leaving Arizona late Sunday morning without landing the Oregon coach, sources told ESPN.

Kelly has decided to turn down a chance to go to the NFL and instead will return to the Ducks, league sources told ESPN.

Kelly was intrigued with the Philadelphia Eagles' head coaching job but decided he wasn't comfortable leaving the college game, the sources said.

Trestman possesses considerable experience in the NFL, where he's worked on staffs tutoring quarterbacks such as Steve Young (worked for 49ers from 1995-96), Rich Gannon (Raiders from 2001-03), who was named the league's MVP in 2001, and Bernie Kosar (1989). Trestman also worked in 2007 with the New Orleans Saints as a consultant.

Other NFL stops for Trestman include Minnesota (two stints), Tampa Bay (1987, then again in 2001 as a senior offensive assistant for Jon Gruden), Detroit (1997), Arizona (1998-2000) and Miami (2004) as well as the University of Miami (1981-84), where he received his law degree.

Trestman spent 2005 and 2006 at North Carolina State, before leaving in 2008 for the CFL.

In addition to his duties as a coach, Trestman worked during the offseason to prepare college quarterbacks for the NFL draft. Trestman worked with Jay Cutler and Bears backup Jason Campbell before their respective drafts.

According to his official website, Trestman has also worked with Cleveland Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden, Denver rookie Brock Osweiler, as well as Tim Tebow of the New York Jets and Carolina's Jimmy Clausen.

yay another no name and now were stooping down to the cfl ranks come on

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://espn.go.com/n...ns-talk-reports

CLEVELAND -- The Cleveland Browns will meet with Marc Trestman, coach of the CFL's Montreal Alouettes, on Monday, according to multiple reports.

The Browns reportedly have scheduled their meeting with Trestman in Chicago, where the Chicago Bears also have an interview scheduled with the coach on Monday, sources told ESPN.

Trestman's resume includes extensive time as an NFL offensive assistant. He has been with Montreal since 2008, leading the Alouettes to two CFL titles in his five seasons.

With Trestman recently signing an extension with the Alouettes that takes his deal through 2016, it's unknown whether he'll be allowed out of his CFL contract if an NFL team decides to hire him.

A source with the Alouettes indicated to ESPNChicago.com that it's likely Trestman would be allowed out of his contract because the team's ownership is "usually pretty good about stuff like that ... although Marc just signed a new extension this year. So I don't know if that might hold things up."

The source added Trestman "works well with a front office" and is "a player's coach for sure."

The Browns met late last week with Chip Kelly but decided to reboot their search for a coach after leaving Arizona late Sunday morning without landing the Oregon coach, sources told ESPN.

Kelly has decided to turn down a chance to go to the NFL and instead will return to the Ducks, league sources told ESPN.

Kelly was intrigued with the Philadelphia Eagles' head coaching job but decided he wasn't comfortable leaving the college game, the sources said.

Trestman possesses considerable experience in the NFL, where he's worked on staffs tutoring quarterbacks such as Steve Young (worked for 49ers from 1995-96), Rich Gannon (Raiders from 2001-03), who was named the league's MVP in 2001, and Bernie Kosar (1989). Trestman also worked in 2007 with the New Orleans Saints as a consultant.

Other NFL stops for Trestman include Minnesota (two stints), Tampa Bay (1987, then again in 2001 as a senior offensive assistant for Jon Gruden), Detroit (1997), Arizona (1998-2000) and Miami (2004) as well as the University of Miami (1981-84), where he received his law degree.

Trestman spent 2005 and 2006 at North Carolina State, before leaving in 2008 for the CFL.

In addition to his duties as a coach, Trestman worked during the offseason to prepare college quarterbacks for the NFL draft. Trestman worked with Jay Cutler and Bears backup Jason Campbell before their respective drafts.

According to his official website, Trestman has also worked with Cleveland Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden, Denver rookie Brock Osweiler, as well as Tim Tebow of the New York Jets and Carolina's Jimmy Clausen.

yay another no name and now were stooping down to the cfl ranks come on

Marc Trestman, really? He has to look in Canada for a coach, sheesh! No thanks!

Get Lovie in there!

For anyone wondering about Lovie Smith or any other coaching candidate that doesn't have ties to Mike Lombardi the answer is NO. The browns and their incestuous front office are only interviewing people with ties to Mike Lombardi.

I am hearing that may no longer be the case. In fact, I hear speculation that they may cut ties with Lombardi.

I'm not buying into Shannahan, who was talking about him last year before he had Rg3?

We have no RG3 in Cleveland and even if we did Shannahan would probably get him flattened like he did this year.

On top of that like Mik and at least one other guy has pointed out I'll pass on a younger snot-nosed type coach on telling some 250 lb guy what to do.

I think 30ish type guys can succeed as coaches but not these little shit type guys,e.g, Shannahan,McDaniels,Kiffin,especially a silver-spoon type such as Shannahan jr.

The only exception I can think of is Gruden, but def has little man syndrome and has the personality to compensate for his small stature.

I'm not buying into Shannahan, who was talking about him last year before he had Rg3?

We have no RG3 in Cleveland and even if we did Shannahan would probably get him flattened like he did this year.

On top of that like Mik and at least one other guy has pointed out I'll pass on a younger snot-nosed type coach on telling some 250 lb guy what to do.

I think 30ish type guys can succeed as coaches but not these little shit type guys,e.g, Shannahan,McDaniels,Kiffin,especially a silver-spoon type such as Shannahan jr.

The only exception I can think of is Gruden, but def has little man syndrome and has the personality to compensate for his small stature.

if this father / son tandem was different like, say ... sonny boy being out on his own, like at least Layne Kiffin did,

instead of coattailing it with pop in DC then his record will speak for itself....

until then I agree, dont go with another unproven and timid looking (IMO) coach!

This is probably the dumbest fucking reasoning I have ever heard.

Mike Tomlin was hired at 34 and won the Super Bowl at 36. Jon Gruden got his first NFL head coaching gig at 35, posted a 28-20 record with the Oakland Raiders, then went to Tampa Bay and won a Super Bowl by age 37.

Josh McDaniels is 36. Lane Kiffin is 37. Shanahan is 33. They're in the same wheelhouse as Gruden and Tomlin were when they were hired, if not a little older.

I understand most of you are older than the game of poker, but this ageism is absolutely ridiculous. Age is no guarantee of experience. If anything, an older coach who hasn't made it to the big show is probably less likely to make it than a new, younger coach is.

I'll admit that youth is no guarantee of innovation. But, personally, I'd rather take my chances on an "up and coming" younger coach than an average coach closer to the end of his career than the beginning.

I understand most of you are older than the game of poker, but this ageism is absolutely ridiculous. Age is no guarantee of experience. If anything, an older coach who hasn't made it to the big show is probably less likely to make it than a new, younger coach is.

I'll admit that youth is no guarantee of innovation. But, personally, I'd rather take my chances on an "up and coming" younger coach than an average coach closer to the end of his career than the beginning.

I'm not sure if I'm older than poker but I also would like to see us hire a young up and coming coach who has the fire to succeeed. I want the next Gruden, Cowher, Payton, Tomlin, etc.

I don't want Saban, I think he has more commitment issues than Chip Kelly. After that fiasco, I kinda doubt Haslam dips back into the college market.

I think guys like Tomlin demand respect just in his demeanor and personality, Gruden also to an extent, but his success and football knowledge helped a lot also.

McDaniels,Shannahan,Kiffin, do not come off to me as tough guys and they would have to compensate in other ways to earn the respect of their players, making their chances of success twice as hard.

For some fair haired white boy to come in and chew out some big 280lb black sob would be commical, no one on the team would take these guys serious.

Age plays a big part and so does personality and appearance - perception is reality.

But when you stack the deck against a guy it's not a good situation.

I think guys like Tomlin demand respect just in his demeanor and personality, Gruden also to an extent, but his success and football knowledge helped a lot also.

McDaniels,Shannahan,Kiffin, do not come off to me as tough guys and they would have to compensate in other ways to earn the respect of their players, making their chances of success twice as hard.

For some fair haired white boy to come in and chew out some big 280lb black sob would be commical, no one on the team would take these guys serious.

Age plays a big part and so does personality and appearance - perception is reality.

But when you stack the deck against a guy it's not a good situation.

The NFL isn't high school football or college football. The 'chewing out' of the players isn't what keeps them in line. It's knowing that there's a younger, faster, hungrier person always ready to take your place. These are grown men in peak physical performance who have played football their entire lives, do you honestly think there is a man alive that they would be scared of?

I've been to multiple NFL practices and offseason camps and I can honestly say you rarely, if ever, see a coach in a player's facemask chewing him out. And I'd venture a bet to say the players welcome being yelled at. The worst thing a coach can do is not say anything to you, because that's when you know you've lost your job.

NFL players are grown men, they don't need to be chewed out to perform. The job is their livelihood. If they don't perform, they're gone.

As for respect, the best way to get it in this league is by winning. You win, you get respect. You don't get respect by yelling at your players. As I said before, this is the NFL, not high school football.

Marc Trestman, really? He has to look in Canada for a coach, sheesh! No thanks!

Get Lovie in there!

Trestman has a strong pedigree. He's smart and had the opportunity to learn from Bill Walsh and other great football minds. He has used that knowledge effectively both in the NFL and the CFL. He has been extremely successful coaching quarterbacks and heaven knows QBs have not been our strong suit of late. I have never understood the disrespect he's gotten from some Browns fans. I met a good friend of his a number of years ago and heard good things about him so I've sort of followed his career since then. I've wondered why he wasn't a candidate for other coaching positions. I get the feeling he hasn't been much of a self-promoter.

I've never understood this hatred for the CFL. Where do you think the college all-stars go that can't hack it in the NFL? I'd say the skill level is higher than that of NCAA.

didn't Warren Moon win big time in th CFL>>>>>>>>>>>>>??????????????

We're SCREWED.

Trestman coached Kosar. Again, we have an owner being lead to the same group of shitheads who have been drafting OL high and posting 4- 12 records.

Kosar pushed very hard for us to draft Jimmy Graham, only to have his cries fall on deaf ears.

I think some of the football geniuses on this message board should follow Trestman's example by offering their services as volunteer coaches. Soon their brilliance will be recognized causing them to advance through the ranks, becoming the inspired saviors of our beloved team. Guys, including those of you who thought Belichick would never amount to anything, your talents are clearly wasted here.

I have no more ability to judge Trestman than any other candidate for the job. I just thought it was nice for him that he finally has been noticed and considered. What I heard is that he is a thoroughly decent guy who never even considered a career in football. On a whim he offered to spend time throwing footballs at practice just for something to do. He enjoyed it and much to his surprise he kept getting offered jobs in football. I also heard through the grapevine (and I have no way of proving this so take it with a grain of salt) that Bill Walsh considered Trestman one of the few coaches who really understood the nuances of the WCO. I haven't watched the Allouettes play so I have no idea what sort of offensive philosophy they have embraced but they have won championships.

The guy deserves a look as much as a number of other folks and I am happy for him that he is getting the opportunity. I am also pleased that Haslam and Banner are looking everywhere and talking to lots of different people. I have always found the interview process to be a learning experience as much as an employee search. I suspect Haslam is learning a few things that will make him a better owner. I've got my fingers crossed that they catch lightning in a bottle.

I think some of the football geniuses on this message board should follow Trestman's example by offering their services as volunteer coaches. Soon their brilliance will be recognized causing them to advance through the ranks, becoming the inspired saviors of our beloved team. Guys, including those of you who thought Belichick would never amount to anything, your talents are clearly wasted here.

I have no more ability to judge Trestman than any other candidate for the job. I just thought it was nice for him that he finally has been noticed and considered. What I heard is that he is a thoroughly decent guy who never even considered a career in football. On a whim he offered to spend time throwing footballs at practice just for something to do. He enjoyed it and much to his surprise he kept getting offered jobs in football. I also heard through the grapevine (and I have no way of proving this so take it with a grain of salt) that Bill Walsh considered Trestman one of the few coaches who really understood the nuances of the WCO. I haven't watched the Allouettes play so I have no idea what sort of offensive philosophy they have embraced but they have won championships.

The guy deserves a look as much as a number of other folks and I am happy for him that he is getting the opportunity. I am also pleased that Haslam and Banner are looking everywhere and talking to lots of different people. I have always found the interview process to be a learning experience as much as an employee search. I suspect Haslam is learning a few things that will make him a better owner. I've got my fingers crossed that they catch lightning in a bottle.

Wonderful post,Thank you.

Interesting tidbit about Trestman on wiki:

According to Trestman's website, "Marc has been one of the most trusted and respected QB coaches in the game. Which is why every off-season, the top NFL draft prospects call on Marc to work them out in preparation for the their Pro Day and the NFL Combine".

Some of the QBs who have been trained by Trestman include: Brandon Weeden (1st round pick by the Cleveland Browns), Brock Osweiler (2nd round pick by the Denver Broncos), Tim Tebow (1st round pick by the Denver Broncos), Jimmy Clausen (2nd round pick by the Carolina Panthers), Jay Cutler (1st round pick by the Denver Broncos) and Jason Campbell (1st round pick by the Washington Redskins).[2]

Another interesting tidbit: If the Browns hire him ... I was the first to call it.

Ya dicknuts.

Zombo

Why did all the Shitty Qbs go to him to learn???? None of those Qbs make me say WOW... Now if you would have said Freeman, Breez, Ryan, Wilson, Luck, Dalton I would think this guy is not bad, but you gave me TeBow just cant get away with that guy he keeps showing up...

Hey Who will the new coach of the Browns be? I dont know ask Tebow

Hey whats for Dinner? Ask Tebow

Will it rain tomorrow? Tebow knows ask him

Trestmans credentials are unquestionable and the only thing i can see that this guy may lack from jimmys list of must haves is the strong leadership persona..

But fear not somebody is very likely going to grab trestman before joe "blows" banner can figure out who will let him interview them next ..

Bottomline here is trestmans credentials make the man worthy of serious considerations for filling a head coach position for any team that is looking for an offensive minded coach..

Greatness always comes from where it was not expected and failure always comes from where greatness was anticipated..

Lets just hope haslam/banner can get the guy they want, personally i like some of the no name guys like trestman that have huge upsides compared to a knuckleheaded loser like whisenhunt or an aging lifelong OC like arians that brings back memories of one romeo crennel whom is a beast of a DC but arguably the worst HC of all times..

To win with what talent we have in the nfl will require innovation and creativity while the current team build is being finished up and or blown up to a certain degree and none of the brand names outside of jon gruden/bill cowher even remotely fills the bill and jon nor bill are interested in a rebuilding team they are both looking to eventually inherit a team that already has everything prebuilt and neither is likely to ever actually coach again..

Trestmans credentials are unquestionable and the only thing i can see that this guy may lack from jimmys list of must haves is the strong leadership persona..

I don't have the link to it ,but I read were Trestman has his team buying into playing with humility....rather than jumping up and pounding their chest and doing a big celebration dance after a sack...they just high five then head back to the huddle

evidently he brings guys into the film room and shows them replays of their celebration antics and gets them to realize that "it's just a first down"... hand the ball to the ref

Archived