THE BROWNS BOARD

Norv Turner Browns Oc

ITHIKA

I love this hire Turner has been one of the best OC's in football for the last decade and can help Chud with HC duties. This also clearly shows we won't draft a running QB to run the offense.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/11/norv-turner-to-join-browns-staff-as-offensive-coordinator/

After the Cleveland Browns named Carolina offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski as their new head coach Wednesday night, the Browns have already begun adding to their new coaching staff.

According to Peter Schrager of FOX Sports, the Browns are expected to hire former San Diego Chargers head coach Norv Turner as their new offensive coordinator. The Chargers fired Turner on Dec. 31.

Chudzinski served as assistant head coach and tight ends coach for the Chargers under Turner from 2009-2010. It will be Turner’s fifth stop as an offensive coordinator. Turner was the offensive coordinator for the Dallas Cowboys from 1991-1993, the Chargers in 2001, the Miami Dolphins from 2002-2003 and the San Francisco 49ers in 2006.

He's a crappy HC. Hopefully, if he is here, he will be competent at OC.

My only peeve or concern on Turner is he employs no audible system for his QB

Norv better come here with his son as an assistant on the team and due to the fact that we beat his team this year

wha wha what???

i don't get it.

norv turner has a norv turner jr. like shanahan has a shanahan jr. coaching in the league?

now if you said i hope he bring phillip rivers here, then i'd get what you're saying.

Cleveland Browns coach Rob Chudzinski set to hire Norv Turner, source says

Norv Turner, who has 15 years experience as a head coach in the NFL, is set to become Rob Chudzinski's offensive coordinator in Cleveland.

Lenny Ignelzi, Associated Press

BEREA, Ohio -- New Browns coach Rob Chudzinski is set to name Norv Turner his offensive coordinator soon, a source said, and also hire a new defensive coordinator to replace the well-liked Dick Jauron.

Turner, who was fired last week as coach of the Chargers, brings 15 years of head-coaching experience, which would be a boon for a first-time head coach. Turner has had a few other opportunities, including a possible chance with Ray Horton if he gets the Cardinals job, but is set to land here, a source said. He's currently out of town, so the hiring has yet to be announced.

He's a longtime mentor to Chudzinski, who served as Turner's tight ends coach and assistant head coach in 2009 and 2010 in San Diego.

"Having the assistant head coach experience where I spent all the time with Norv and saw all the things he had to do, I've been around the people who've given me the opportunities to see what it takes to be a great head coach and hopefully I can put all those things together and get that done," Chudzinski said.

Chudzinski, who met with current staffers on Friday, declined to comment on whether or not Turner is coming or on any other specific assistants.

"This is not the time or place," he said in his introductory news conference.

As for who will call plays, Chudzinski, who's known for being good at it, said he's open to giving it up.

"That will be determined by the staff we put together," said Chudzinski. "If I'm comfortable with the offensive coordinator doing that, he'll do it. If I'm not sure about that or uncomfortable, I'll call the plays until I become comfortable with that."

Chudzinski indicated he'll hire a new defensive coordinator, and that the hire will dictate whether or not the Browns switch to a 3-4 defense. Chudzinski has been involved with both the 3-4 and the 4-3, and a hybrid of the two.

"We're going to be an attacking-style defense," he said. "Whether that's a 4-3 or 3-4 and nowadays, there's a lot of hybrid systems out there. It'll tie in more with the coordinator that I'll hire, and I think we have the versatility of going either way."

Chudzinski is expected to hire Turner's son, Scott, an offensive assistant for the Panthers. Jaguars defensive coordinator Mel Tucker, who held the same post with the Browns in 2008, could be on the radar in Cleveland but also is in line to interview for the head-coaching job in Jacksonville.

As for the new GM or personnel director, the interviewing has begun. The Browns are interviewing Kansas City's Ray Farmer, and have also asked for permission to interview the 49ers' Tom Gamble, the Vikings' George Paton and the Seahawks' John Idzik. NFL Network's Mike Lombardi, the former Browns director of player personnel, is also a candidate.

"Joe and I have begun the search for a GM/player personnel person," said Browns owner Jimmy Haslam. "The remarks will be just like they were back on Dec. 31. We could have somebody in a few days. It may take a month. The key thing is to get the right person. I think we're putting together a great team here, the right person to work closely with Joe and Rob and putting a championship-caliber team on the field.

"There will once again be all kinds of rumors. Once again, now there will be three people because Rob will be involved in the process, not two in terms of who are aware of what's going on."

Some coaches who were with the Browns last season are also getting looks. The Charlotte Observer reported that former Browns head coach Pat Shurmur is a candidate to replace Chudzinski as Panthers offensive coordinator, where he'd work with quarterback Cam Newton.

Browns offensive coordinator Brad Childress is interviewing for a spot on Andy Reid's staff in Kansas City, a source said. Same with offensive line coach George Warhop, Adam Caplan of Sirius XM radio reported. Browns defensive assistant Chuck Bullough took the defensive coordinator job at Syracuse.

He's a crappy HC. Hopefully, if he is here, he will be competent at OC.

People in many cases reach their level of incompetence. Norv reached his as a HC. As a OC, he is very competent.

Bernie Kosar audibled his nuts off. It never won him anything.

The one time he SHOULD have audibled is when the Browns won the toss in the DRIVE overtime game. Instead of going for the juggular, he played afraid. The films show Denver players jumping for joy when they saw Kosar running teh offense. " he's playing not to lose, he's playing not to lose".

Denver knew thay had Blosar beat right then and there.

Audibles are over rated.

So, we get it. Bernie didn't succeed to the max when we all wish he would have. He and the coaches and all the rest of the team didn't get it done.

But without Kosar we would have never had a chance to hardly get that far.

I suppose you prefer these days of 4-12 and 5-11 and changing QBs every year?

Give me a Kosar like QB any day over this crap.

I don't know Ghoolie, sometime I think you would prefer to smell shit over roses.

People in many cases reach their level of incompetence. Norv reached his as a HC. As a OC, he is very competent.

The Peter Principle? You have a person who is highly qualified and competent at doing a certain job at a certain level....so you promote to a job that is above his competency level and at which he has no chance to succeed.

The NFL is the perfect incubator of the Peter Principle.

I mean, you have your Bud Carson's and Dick LeBeaus and Norv Turners? etc. who are incredible/outstanding as coordinators or asst. coaches....but when you make them a HC, they are a flop.

And sometimes you find the gem that comes from even further down on the corporate hierarchy that becomes outstanding at the "CEO" position.

Like Bill Cowher going essentially from a special teams coach to Head Coach.

Other examples?

All of these reports with the wording "is expected to hire" or "could hire" are out of control already. With the advent of the internet and social media like twitter reporters think (and seemingly can) get away with saying anything with little or no support behind it. They give a story a half assed guess and throw it out there with the hopes that they guessed right and "broke the story". It sucks and I am sick of it already.

All of these reports with the wording "is expected to hire" or "could hire" are out of control already. With the advent of the internet and social media like twitter reporters think (and seemingly can) get away with saying anything with little or no support behind it. They give a story a half assed guess and throw it out there with the hopes that they guessed right and "broke the story". It sucks and I am sick of it already.

Agreed. All this stuff now is rumor and, in many cases, flat out gossip. We'll see what happens when moves become official.

Mike

wha wha what???

i don't get it.

norv turner has a norv turner jr. like shanahan has a shanahan jr. coaching in the league?

now if you said i hope he bring phillip rivers here, then i'd get what you're saying.

"Chudzinski is expected to hire Turner's son, Scott, an offensive assistant for the Panthers. " I heard that on ESPN per Adam Schefter and how it makes the Norv hire THAT much more likely.

"Chudzinski is expected to hire Turner's son, Scott, an offensive assistant for the Panthers. " I heard that on ESPN per Adam Schefter and how it makes the Norv hire THAT much more likely.

Apparently Mrs. Turner is going to be running ticket sales and the Charger's old equipment boy will the new GM.

Zombo

I think Norv is a quality OC and a horrible head coach..

My only problem is when Banner and Haslam came in they said they were looking for a head coach who would be able to hire talented guys to his staff, not HIS guys.. Since he has tied to Norv in SD, the same thing that all coaches do...

I think Norv is a quality OC and a horrible head coach..

My only problem is when Banner and Haslam came in they said they were looking for a head coach who would be able to hire talented guys to his staff, not HIS guys.. Since he has tied to Norv in SD, the same thing that all coaches do...

There is a reason they do that. You hire people whom you know and know will do a good job.

I like the fact he is going to have some people who he already has established a comfort factor.

Archived