THE BROWNS BOARD

Can Josh Gordon Avoid The Sophomore Slump?

dawgpound3

To this day, only one receiver for the Browns has surpassed the 1,000 mark in the last six years. That was Braylon Edwards, and that happened in 2007, where he caught 80 receptions for 1.289 yards. Now a new receiver has emerged for the Cleveland Browns. His name? Josh Gordon. Josh Gordon was selected by the Cleveland Browns in the second round of the supplemental draft of 2012. The pick of Gordon was heavily scrutinized. NFL Network analyst Michael Lombardi, now general manager of the Browns, criticized the pick at the time. Lombardi felt the pick of Josh Gordon was extremely risky due to his raw skills and his off the field incidences that happened while Gordon was at Baylor. Nevertheless, the Cleveland Browns liked what they saw out of Gordon and thought he would be a contribute to the Browns.

When the season began, Gordon was listed as the backup to Greg Little, who was starting his his second year in the NFL. Gordon was not much of an factor in his first four games, and averaged only 93 yards combined total. Then, suddenly Josh Gordon broke out in a very big way. In his next eleven games, Gordon racked up 712 yards with a average of 16.1 YPC and 5 touchdowns. It was quite a impressive year for the rookie who was buried behind Greg Little in the beginning part of the season.

The question remains about Josh Gordon however. Can Josh Gordon avoid the pitfalls of falling to an sophomore slump or can he overcome the so-called sophomore slump and become a star of his own? In the curious case of Josh Gordon, only time will tell.

The sophomore slump is very real. Look at Massaquoi, Quincy Morgan, and even Northcutt. They suffered a really bad case of sophomore slump. It can HAPPEN.

Calvin Johnson went from 48 catches 750 yards in year 1 to 78 grabs and 1300 yards in year 2. SO it can go the other way also

No doubt it could happen.

A couple of things factor in that area.

First, the rest of the league isn't caught off guard. They now know he can make plays, so he draws more attention.

Second, sometimes a 2nd year player starts to feel comfortable with his standing on the team and doesn't go about his business with the same intensity.

I don't want to say they get lazy, they just aren't as focused on doing the things they felt they had to do to make the team as they did when they were a rookie.

No doubt it could happen.

A couple of things factor in that area.

First, the rest of the league isn't caught off guard. They now know he can make plays, so he draws more attention.

Second, sometimes a 2nd year player starts to feel comfortable with his standing on the team and doesn't go about his business with the same intensity.

I don't want to say they get lazy, they just aren't as focused on doing the things they felt they had to do to make the team as they did when they were a rookie.

I think the key for Gordon is Travis Benjamin.

We need to re-sign Cribbs and keep Benjamin off special teams and on the offense as a big play guy and a decoy to free up Little underneath and Gordon deep.

The other key is to get a tight end who is a threat in the middle of the field. I don't if that's Cameron, I'm OK with re-signing Watson until we find out.

If defenses have to be concerned with Richardson first, and then they have to cover Little a tight end and possible Benjamin too ... that opens up things for Gordon to be a playmaker.

I really don't see WR as an off-season priority, those three are all young and very talented and are only going to get better, and then you have Cooper or Norwood as the fourth WR.

I think our needs on offense are TE, FB and guard ... and those aren't big ticket items for the most part.

Gordon will be a star, no reason why he won't continue to ascend as long as we keep talent around him.

Weeden is the guy on offense that needs to ascend.

I hope Chud and Norv make the most of that talented right arm.

Zombo

I expressed a feeling earlier in the year about Josh, and I definetly still have it. He will be the best receiver in the history of the Browns

Paul Warfield and Dante Lavelli are in the Hall of Fame. Is he going to eclipse them and become a Hall of Famer?

I hope you are right.

Like Zombo said, how much any of our other offensive guys improve or regress depends on whether Weeden can help them make plays by becoming the first round calibre qb he was drafted as.

Gordon would have been forgiven if he spent all of last season just learning plays and getting back in the groove considering he spent the previous year doing nothing. The fact he picked things up so quickly bodes well for future.

Its easy to understand why teams catch up and make the adjustments in the second year, but by the same token he and our staff need to be making adjustments to help him move forward and stay a threat. I personally think he will continue to improve under better coaches with braver play calling and can't wait to see what he's capable of next season.

all on weeden. rookie QBs are known for the 'sophomore slump', not WRs. as long as the ball is thrown in his window he should catch it. i mean we didn't see any sign of BE2 last year did we?

now with a new OC hopefully weeds can give that thing between his ears a wake-up call.

I expect Norv and Chud to put Weeden in a comfort zone and incorporate what he did in college like Chud did with Cam.

Let's see him be the best Browns WR since the team came back before anointing him the best Browns WR ever.

He's got a long ways to go to even be in the same zipcode as Warfield. Right now, Gordon isn't as good as Edwards.

One step at a time.

I guess you're talking about my post.... I'm not anointing him anything. I have a feeling that Gordon will be the best in Browns history up to this point. Webster Slaughter is about as far as I go back, watching games as a very little kid. I've only seen film of Warfield. But what was he known for? Speed, grace, jumping ability, awesome hands? All I'm saying is that Gordon appears to have enough raw talent, that with a decent QB and coaching staff will, "eclipse" all the others. All the things you see in the past Browns HOFers I think you can see in him

I think the key for Gordon is Travis Benjamin.

We need to re-sign Cribbs and keep Benjamin off special teams and on the offense as a big play guy and a decoy to free up Little underneath and Gordon deep.

The other key is to get a tight end who is a threat in the middle of the field. I don't if that's Cameron, I'm OK with re-signing Watson until we find out.

If defenses have to be concerned with Richardson first, and then they have to cover Little a tight end and possible Benjamin too ... that opens up things for Gordon to be a playmaker.

I really don't see WR as an off-season priority, those three are all young and very talented and are only going to get better, and then you have Cooper or Norwood as the fourth WR.

I think our needs on offense are TE, FB and guard ... and those aren't big ticket items for the most part.

Gordon will be a star, no reason why he won't continue to ascend as long as we keep talent around him.

Weeden is the guy on offense that needs to ascend.

I hope Chud and Norv make the most of that talented right arm.

Zombo

Nice take, and I agree, except maybe the Cribbs part. We are good at receiver....no doubt we really need to lock in a TE who can work the seam. If we get that, we could be scary good. My hope is Cameron can do that, and think he will. I think the big hang-up with the last much is he wasn't much of a blocker. My hope is Chud and crew look at TE's more as weapons then being a blocker. If Ozzie was stuck with a Pat Shurmer type coach when he came out, his career path would have been totally different.

I think Cameron is going to break out next year. I know I just picked him up in my keeper league. We don't have to cut down to 15 keepers until mid August...enough time to see how we plan to use the guy. He might become one of my two TE keepers.

Nice take, and I agree, except maybe the Cribbs part. We are good at receiver....no doubt we really need to lock in a TE who can work the seam. If we get that, we could be scary good. My hope is Cameron can do that, and think he will. I think the big hang-up with the last much is he wasn't much of a blocker. My hope is Chud and crew look at TE's more as weapons then being a blocker. If Ozzie was stuck with a Pat Shurmer type coach when he came out, his career path would have been totally different.

I think Cameron is going to break out next year. I know I just picked him up in my keeper league. We don't have to cut down to 15 keepers until mid August...enough time to see how we plan to use the guy. He might become one of my two TE keepers.

Well, the last guy that Norv Turner handled that was a basketball player in college turned NFL TE, like Cameron is, was Antonio Gates.

If Cameron Jordan....or is it Jordan Cameron... can swing like Gates that would be OK

Archived