THE BROWNS BOARD

Biggest Pussy Move Ever

Harry Buffalo

Hoorta, I've always respected your opinion and I have enjoyed our back and forths. But the play he is talking about it a legit play that is run several times a year. Could there have been flags throughout the game? Yes. But was the safety play a pussy move? No, not by a long shot. It was smart football by a smart football coach.

It was not a pussy move, I agree. It was the right choice for that time.

Fortunately for you, it showed have blown up in your face but it didn't. The game should have come down a long field goal. Bad officiating robbed us all of what could have possibly been the greatest Super Bowl in the last decade.

As it stands, it was still fantastic, but can you imagine the game coming down to a long David Akers field goal? Miss it or make it, it still would have been the best ending ever.

On that play, I heard the comments of newly minted Hall of Famer Cris Carter....who knows more about how to run that fade to the corner of the end zone than anyone.

He stated that he thought it was a good no call, and that Crabtree executed to play all wrong. He said instead of making a crisp hard move to the corner (and as Cris said "and maybe getting a little unseen pushoff in while doing it), Crabtree ran right into the defender whom he allowed to wrap him up. Cris said holding is almost never called in those instances where the receiver runs into the defender...and nor should it be he said.

The Super Bowl came down to IMO two bad plays/sequences by the 49ers. The first was the opening Raven's TD to Anquan Boldin. I know the seam route when well thrown is very hard to defend, but Whitner/the scheme totally blew that coverage. I mean Boldin had only ran that route in the red zone idk 50 times in the playoffs. I'm not sure why they didn't game plan for that or if Whitner whiffed but that early TD gave Balt a lot of momentum early.

The second was the final four plays for the 49er's. That team was predicated on the run, and averaging something close to 7 yards a rush. So what do they do? Pass, Pass, Pass. It's unfortunate the QB run didn't develop right before the timeout because Kap could have walked into the endzone it appeared. Also, to leave the last play of the biggest game to a fade route is questionable at best. That's what these sorts of games come down to though, those few plays the winning team did right.

If you were rooting for the 49ers - which I was because they have more OSU players - then you should demand Harbaugh pay more attention to his O coordinator next year.

Those last 4 plays from the 5 were terrible.

4 throws - all to the right, all to the same receiver? Bush league! Especially when Gore is averaging over 5 yards per carry on the night, and Kaepernick has already scored a TD on a run.

On the final play, Crabtree initiates the contact and never stops running into the CB.. that's not the CB's fault, he does have a right to his space. The rule covers defensive contact - not offensive contact. Also, on the other side of the line, AJ Jenkins [the 49ers rookie WR] threw his defender to the ground without receiving a call.

If you were rooting for the 49ers - which I was because they have more OSU players - then you should demand Harbaugh pay more attention to his O coordinator next year.

Those last 4 plays from the 5 were terrible.

4 throws - all to the right, all to the same receiver? Bush league! Especially when Gore is averaging over 5 yards per carry on the night, and Kaepernick has already scored a TD on a run.

On the final play, Crabtree initiates the contact and never stops running into the CB.. that's not the CB's fault, he does have a right to his space. The rule covers defensive contact - not offensive contact. Also, on the other side of the line, AJ Jenkins [the 49ers rookie WR] threw his defender to the ground without receiving a call.

Yes, I agree, once Gore got them down to the 6 with First and Goal the play calling was terrible. The Ravens claim they did things to eliminate the ability of the 49ers to run the ball....but apparently they didn't do so much that they would have allowed a pass for a TD.

That whole series was bad karma.

And I agree with the post that talked about the 49ers defensive secondary. Time and again they seemed out of place or not keeping up with the Ravens receivers. They just looked bad.

Hoorta, I've always respected your opinion and I have enjoyed our back and forths. But the play he is talking about it a legit play that is run several times a year. Could there have been flags throughout the game? Yes. But was the safety play a pussy move? No, not by a long shot. It was smart football by a smart football coach.

:) You didn't read closely enough. I said I called the play before it happened, and it was smart football. Killed some of the clock, gave you 15 yards of field position, and a free kick, with no chance of a block in the endzone for the game winning TD.

BTW, I won't start a thread on it, but did anybody else notice #29 , Williams, a ratbird..... in an altercation with a niner,

who finally got up, and INTENTIONALLY PUSHED A REF ! Go back and look if you can. It was clear as day.

No....freakin.......call. No call. Nothin.

That is plain obvious that the refereeing was biased, squeeler playoff style.

i have to respectfully disagree with the word 'intentional'.

i think the guy got knocked on his ass with someone ripping off his helmet, got up all discombobulated and pushed at the first thing he saw. i betcha if it was one of his team mates standing in the same place as the ref he woulda pushed him as well. if you've ever been knocked down in a melee (been there) your first instinct is to get up and defend yourself which might mean pushing/swinging at anything in your immediate 'zone'.

now, i'm not saying it wasn't a penalty, but as everyone knows this ref crew swallowed their whistles the entire game, which i for one liked. wish every game was called like that. but, i'm sure, during the regular season, it would have been a foul, an ejection and a fine.

Archived