THE BROWNS BOARD

Are The Chiefs Idiots?

Browns57

IMO they got the better end of the deal. why pick a QB in the draft who is unproven at the NFL level? or bring in someone from another team that couldn't hack it as a starter? the guy was a top rated QB before he got sat because of injury. last year he helped get the niners to the championship game.

the chiefs got off cheap.

IMO they got the better end of the deal. why pick a QB in the draft who is unproven at the NFL level? or bring in someone from another team that couldn't hack it as a starter? the guy was a top rated QB before he got sat because of injury. last year he helped get the niners to the championship game.

the chiefs got off cheap.

I counter by pointing out that last year was Smith's best year in the league. He has always been marginal starter at best. I would think the Chiefs would want to better than that with that pick! If the Browns gave up the first pick in the second round or even the 6th pick in the second round for him wouldn't most of us be pissed? I would, just like I was when we drafted Weeden so high last year. And I still think Weeden can be as good if not better than Smith.

Yes, the Chiefs are idots. So are the Browns. That's why neither team has won a championship since the 60's.

The Chiefs haven't won a game by a QB they drafted since Todd Blackledge. Think about that.

If it wasn't for Marty Scottenheimer the last four decades would have been even much bleaker for these beleaguered franchises.

I counter by pointing out that last year was Smith's best year in the league. He has always been marginal starter at best. I would think the Chiefs would want to better than that with that pick! If the Browns gave up the first pick in the second round or even the 6th pick in the second round for him wouldn't most of us be pissed? I would, just like I was when we drafted Weeden so high last year. And I still think Weeden can be as good if not better than Smith.

like i said he IS PROVEN. he was mediocre for so long because of al the changes at OC that came along with the staff being revamped much like we have been doing every 2 to 3 years. harbaugh gave him a chance and a steady hand at strokin his ego and telling him there will be no more change. before he got hurt this past season he was the 3rd highest ranked QB in the league. it's not like they trade for matt cassell who played what 3 games? or ryan fitzpatrick. he has proven he can play at a high level against great opponents.

the only problem is the chiefs aren't built like the niners. they don't have the Oline or the weapons on offense or their defense.

he might look like shit this coming season because of the lack of talent on KC. same could be said for tim couch.

It really worked out well for both teams. Alex smith is 10x better than any prospect in this draft. They were likely going to spend a 2nd rounder on a bad draft QB anyway so why not Smith? Everyone knows he's not going to put up drew Brees numbers but he'll bring stability while the team tries to bring their next Kap. The thing a lot of people don't realize too is that team really has a solid defense. Add smith to a good defense and good running game and I guarantee they triple their win total this year.

it's conditional on how well he plays this coming season. knowing KC the guy will get crushed.

I don't know. Remember, the year before the Chiefs made the playoffs, then had the big swoon last year with the poor RAC as the HC.

This KC team had 6 Pro Bowlers. They have Jamaal Charles and Peyton Hillis at RB. If they could resign Bowe at WR that would help (getting Smith might help bring him back. Four of those Pro Bowlers were on defense. They will probably go for OL help in this draft big time.

With Andy Reid as their coach these Chiefs IMO will be a factor in the AFC West. Probably the biggest challenge to Denver in that division. What they lacked was a decent QB. Smith is a "decent" QB, if not a spectacular one. He can manage a game well, and that seems to be what that team needs now.

I They will probably go for OL help in this draft big time.

i agree. they are a draft away with addition of smith from flip flopping their record.

jamal charles lit it up last year. they need a possession receiver and another deep threat and they'll be nice.

Game manager QBs are what we call QBs who can't throw. I imagine we'll see a KC offense based on handing it off and dumping it off to TEs.

I am sure there will be a share of that...and there is nothing wrong with that. A few teams have won championships with that formula. If Andy Reid is going to run his WCO, then Smith may be very adept at that system.

The Chiefs overpaid. They could've had Alex Smith last year for less. Alex Smith was worth, at best, a mid-3rd round pick.

NFL teams, especially ones who have underperformed for what seems like decades, really need to develop long term strategies...3-5 year plans say. Reaching/Overspending on average players really ain't the way to go. Okay, so maybe you don't like the top QBs of this years draft class (while your drafting high), draft the best players available who will be key positional players in the future. Then take a chance on some cheap/late round QBs (New England scored with Brady so there is a slim chance a team can get lucky). If the QBs don't pan out this year, you'll be drafting high again next year.

You can get a top QB and build a team around him (Dallas/Aikman, Colts/Manning) or surround your future QB with talent already in place (San Diego/Rivers or Pittsburgh/Roethlisberger). What happens if/when KC isn't in the hunt next year? Coach gets fired? QB gets tossed to the curb? That's spending alot of money/draft potential on a high failure probability. A high second round draft choice could've yielded a good future building block...possibly making 2014's season far less predicated on failure. Didn't KC learn their lesson overspending on Matt Cassel?

The Chiefs overpaid. They could've had Alex Smith last year for less. Alex Smith was worth, at best, a mid-3rd round pick.

NFL teams, especially ones who have underperformed for what seems like decades, really need to develop long term strategies...3-5 year plans say. Reaching/Overspending on average players really ain't the way to go. Okay, so maybe you don't like the top QBs of this years draft class (while your drafting high), draft the best players available who will be key positional players in the future. Then take a chance on some cheap/late round QBs (New England scored with Brady so there is a slim chance a team can get lucky). If the QBs don't pan out this year, you'll be drafting high again next year.

You can get a top QB and build a team around him (Dallas/Aikman, Colts/Manning) or surround your future QB with talent already in place (San Diego/Rivers or Pittsburgh/Roethlisberger). What happens if/when KC isn't in the hunt next year? Coach gets fired? QB gets tossed to the curb? That's spending alot of money/draft potential on a high failure probability. A high second round draft choice could've yielded a good future building block...possibly making 2014's season far less predicated on failure. Didn't KC learn their lesson overspending on Matt Cassel?

As was mentioned before....the Chiefs have not drafted a QB that has started and won a game for them since 1983 when they drafted Todd Blackledge...and he was pretty clearly the runt of that 1983 QB first round draft class.

If you saw my thread on Mr. Irrelevent you will have learned that probably the VERY BEST QB the Chiefs have ever drafted they got with the next to the last pick of the entire draft. That was Bill Kenney. #333 overall pick. The only other QBs they ever drafted that played for them some in franchise history have been Steve Fuller and Mike Livingston. Not a stellar group. Their HOF QB Len Dawson was a FA pickup. Since the days of Kenney they have used pickup QBs of the likes of Steve DeBerg, Joe Montana, Steve Bono, Dave Kreig, Rich Gannon, Elvis Grbac, Damon Huard, Trent Green, Matt Cassell and Brady Quinn...and now Alex Smith.

So, if the Chiefs haven't learned that lesson in the last 30 years why do you think they would learn it now? The fact is, they keep looking for their next Len Dawson.

Romeo Crennel didn't want Smith, he liked Quinn. That's why they didnt make a move for Smith.

If Smith ends up becoming a franchise QB for them for the next five-six seasons, then they didn't overpay at all. But if he doesn't...

As for losing teams having 3-5 year plans, that is all well and good but will never happen in the NFL. It is a win now league. If you're not turning a team into a contender immediately, it's on to the next guy. That's just the nature of the beast. The coaches that say "This is a 5 year plan, lets stick it out" are gone within two seasons if they don't show marketed improvement.

I know this is THE BROWNS BOARD but I noticed that thi sthread has a bunch of replies and no fighting or name calling. I could get used to this.

Some good posts here too. I would argue with the thought of the Chiefs making the playoffs this year though. The Browns will be getting that wildcard spot not the Chiefs. TRich said it and I believe it. Write it down, and bet it in vegas now. :)

Smith is pedestrian at best. Harbaugh is a genius. True, KC had no other option, but this was still monumentally stupid. I'm glad the Browns were never seriously in this, because Smith would not beat out McCoy for the backup job.

The reason Smith was good last year is because the team around him was great. Defenses had to respect the run, so Smith had time for the play-action to work.

The problem is simply the Chiefs -- they payed a ridiculous boatload for Crappy Matt Cassel, and now they payed a second-round plus a midround next year for a player Harbaugh considered releasing when he took the job. Of course the 49ers couldn't make the super bowl with Smith at QB.. that's why Kaepernick took over.

The chiefs already have the receivers: Baldwin from Pitt was a first-rounder, McCluster will have 3 really good games each year, and TE Moeaki was injured in preseason last year. The offense's issues are the OL at KC is worse than useless, Reid's playcalling will of course stink, and Hillis isn't.

As for losing teams having 3-5 year plans, that is all well and good but will never happen in the NFL. It is a win now league. If you're not turning a team into a contender immediately, it's on to the next guy. That's just the nature of the beast. The coaches that say "This is a 5 year plan, lets stick it out" are gone within two seasons if they don't show marketed improvement.

but that's a problem within itself. if the ownership held strong and could endure the fan base screaming that they DON"T see marked improvement within the first 2 years of a 5 year plan, then why hire the guy/staff and give them the backing that you say you will?

hell, i'm sure butch davis if given the 5 years coulda made the browns a contender, the same with mangini.

what it really comes down to is $$. the more the fans scream that the team sucks and that they won't show up to games the less time these coaches and GMs have to instill their plan with their offense and defense and the players needed to run both.

when it comes down to it, we as fans are probably one of the main reasons why owners blow up coaching staffs and their ideals every 3 years.

if KC sucks next year it ain't gonna be because of alex smith. it will be because that no one in the previous 5 years hadn't solidified either line, didn't garner offensive weapons and the ownership didn't allow a HC and it's staff time to implement 'their' system.

Smith is pedestrian at best. Harbaugh is a genius. Of course the 49ers couldn't make the super bowl with Smith at QB.. that's why Kaepernick took over.

The chiefs already have the receivers: Baldwin from Pitt was a first-rounder, McCluster will have 3 really good games each year, and TE Moeaki was injured in preseason last year.

wow. really? smith took them to the championship game the year before without as much talent. did kaepernick win the super bowl?

those weapons you mention for KC are laughable. mccluster 3 good games a year? well let's vote him to the pro bowl right now!

we have better receivers.

give it a rest.

but that's a problem within itself. if the ownership held strong and could endure the fan base screaming that they DON"T see marked improvement within the first 2 years of a 5 year plan, then why hire the guy/staff and give them the backing that you say you will?

hell, i'm sure butch davis if given the 5 years coulda made the browns a contender, the same with mangini.

what it really comes down to is $$. the more the fans scream that the team sucks and that they won't show up to games the less time these coaches and GMs have to instill their plan with their offense and defense and the players needed to run both.

when it comes down to it, we as fans are probably one of the main reasons why owners blow up coaching staffs and their ideals every 3 years.

if KC sucks next year it ain't gonna be because of alex smith. it will be because that no one in the previous 5 years hadn't solidified either line, didn't garner offensive weapons and the ownership didn't allow a HC and it's staff time to implement 'their' system.

Which begs the question: are some of these "miracle coaches" really as good as we've been led to believe? If Chud gets us to a 10 win season and the playoffs, is he a genius or is he just piggybacking off the solid corps of players his predecessors built? That's what I don't like about the NFL. Sometimes it's too hard to tell who's actually a good coach, who inherited a good team, and who is actually a shit coach.

wow. really? smith took them to the championship game the year before without as much talent. did kaepernick win the super bowl?

those weapons you mention for KC are laughable. mccluster 3 good games a year? well let's vote him to the pro bowl right now!

we have better receivers.

give it a rest.

Alex Smith blows and Harbargh has been trying to dump his ass ever since he got there. A lot of people seem to have fallen for his heartfelt story of being Wally Pipped. Kind of like how everybody's heartstrings yearned for Lady Quinn with a firm belief that he would lead the team to greatness because it was his destiny. A lot of people tend to fall for the heartfelt stories. But the real story here is that Harbaugh effed KC in the bunghole and he's probably happy to be rid of his backup QB. He is becoming the new Bill Bellicheck...propping up his dead weight players in the rumor mills and dumping them off on unsuspecting GMs for draft picks. Meanwhile Bill is fishing for a dumbshit to give him some picks for his coked-up Vanilla Ice Wanna-be backup QB too and it'll be interesting to see if anyone is stupid enough to fall for that one.

is he a genius or is he just piggybacking off the solid corps of players

This shouldn't be a question in anyone's mind : If the new coach has the same players but achieves a significantly better record.. THE PREVIOUS COACH SUCKED.

#1 alltime example: Look at Ohio State's massive performance this past year, especially on the O-Line and contrast that with the prior decade of O-line suckage. What's the difference? COACHING. Bollman blows donkey balls, Warriner is talented.

I know this is THE BROWNS BOARD but I noticed that thi sthread has a bunch of replies and no fighting or name calling. I could get used to this.

Some good posts here too. I would argue with the thought of the Chiefs making the playoffs this year though. The Browns will be getting that wildcard spot not the Chiefs. TRich said it and I believe it. Write it down, and bet it in vegas now. :)

The Browns won't need the wild card spot. They will win the division!! B)

Which begs the question: are some of these "miracle coaches" really as good as we've been led to believe? If Chud gets us to a 10 win season and the playoffs, is he a genius or is he just piggybacking off the solid corps of players his predecessors built? That's what I don't like about the NFL. Sometimes it's too hard to tell who's actually a good coach, who inherited a good team, and who is actually a shit coach.

RAC was a "miracle coach" took like a 5-12 team to 10-6....then went back to what we thought he was.

Archived