THE BROWNS BOARD

Mock Draft Consensus

The Gipper

I collated data from 75 different mock drafts using Walterfootball.com on who they all thought the Browns would take with their #6 overall pick. Here is the breakdown of who was selected in those 75 mocks:

Dion Jordan 16 times

Ziggy Ansah 14 times

Jarvis Jones 12 times

Dee Milliner 10 times

Bjoern Werner 7 times

Barkevious Mingo 6 times

Damontre Moore 4 times

Chance Warmack 2 times

Cordarelle Patterson 2 times (including Brian Billick)

Star Lutolelei 1 time

Jonathan Hankins 1 time

To me, clearly, it seems like it could be any one of those top 6 guys mentioned above. Of course with Mike Lombardi picking God only knows.

I will note that most of these mocks were put together as recently as a couple of days ago....but not before the trade announcement of Smith to KC. However, most of those mocks had the Chiefs taking Luke Joeckel anyway, so it doesn't greatly affect the Browns selection I don't think. None of those mocks had the Browns taking Geno Smith.

Primary draft needs of teams in front of the Browns:

Chiefs OL, CB, DE...was QB til Smith acquired

Jags OL (G-T), OLB, Safety

Raiders DE/OLB, OG, CB

Eagles OL (G-T), DT, DE

Lions OT, DE/OLB, CB

And the Browns primary needs as I see it are OLB/DE, CB, S, OG

Perhaps the good thing is that all these teams need Offensive Linemen, and it appears likely that at least two of the 5 teams ahead of them will take an OL. On the other hand at least two of them seem to be heavy in the market for an OLB or DE so the Browns will be in competition with several of these teams, Lions and Raiders particularly.

And at least 2 of them are in the market for a CB, so it would be no surprise if Milliner is not there. In fact the vast majority of the 75 mock drafts referenced earlier have the Lions taking Milliner.

A few of the mocks even have Jordan, Ansah , and Werner off the board by the time the Browns choose.

Almost all of them however do have both Jarvis Jones and Mingo still on the board at the Browns turn.

If we dont trade down slightly I'd be pleased if we just took the safe option of either Jordan or Ansah. It's hard for us to mess this pick up as long as we don't try and be smart about it.

Choose your favourite pass rusher and draft him...simple!

Of those top 6 names: Ansah, Jordan, Mingo, Jones, Werner, Milliner, it is highly probably that 3 of them will still be there....which is your choice?

I was reading that the Raiders might be keen on taking Smith and I think the Lions will take Milliner so we could still possibly be the 2nd team taking a LB/DE.

Whichever way these other teams choose to go, I still think there will be plenty of talent available in our major areas of need. I haven't read much about Werner as on the earlier mock drafts he always seemed to be going ahead of 6, but for some reason he hasn't been mentioned as much recently.

Would he fit the bill for what we are looking for or not?

All I have to go by over here is YouTube and reviews by 'experts' but I like the sound of Ansah.

Just think he has the physical attributes that you are just lucky enough to be born with, which coupled with time spent with our coaches he could be turned into a beast.

For the most part what you have is the same as we have, though occasionally we can see highlights on TV, but those are no better than what Youtube would give you. You should certainly have access to the same internet evaluation sites we do.

We should be able to get Jordan or Ansah which would be perfect. If not, I like Jones or Milliner. Werner would not fit our team, and while I like Mingo - he's almost a reach at 6, but if Jordan, Ansah, Jones, and Milliner are gone, I would still take Mingo in a heartbeat.

Yeah, I tend to start with the mock draft sites and see who we are linked with then read up on them. It's not the same as sitting down watching a college game so I wouldn't have a clue after the first round, but you can pick enough up to make an educated guess on who ypu think might do well at the next level which I suppose everyone, including the FO is doing until you get a player on the field in the NFL.

I just like what I see and read about Ansah, in the earlier drafts he was projected late in the first but as time has gone on he's moved up, but we are lucky in that there are a few players who will improve the defence straight off.

I am, and always have been calling for Jones if he's available at 6. Jordan, Ansah, and Werner all have two things in common. They either haven't been playing football long, or they haven't played their position long. I like Jones because he is a proven LB, and a proven player. The others look decent and I wouldn't mind having them on the roster, but I sure hope Jones is still there

Sorry, the other thing the other three have in common is ridiculous athletic ability with potential to be elite

Yeah, I tend to start with the mock draft sites and see who we are linked with then read up on them. It's not the same as sitting down watching a college game so I wouldn't have a clue after the first round, but you can pick enough up to make an educated guess on who ypu think might do well at the next level which I suppose everyone, including the FO is doing until you get a player on the field in the NFL.

I just like what I see and read about Ansah, in the earlier drafts he was projected late in the first but as time has gone on he's moved up, but we are lucky in that there are a few players who will improve the defence straight off.

Well, what you need to do is to clamor at your cable TV carrier or dish carrier or whatever to carry ESPN. Then you would get plenty of college football.

Or are all your stations all hyped up on snooker?

(When I was in Ireland, yes, they were big on futbol, but I swear that the next most talked about sport was snooker)

Nah, snooker is a minority sport. It's basically football all the way with Rugby and Cricket a long way 2nd and 3rd and usually only when the national team play.

In Ireland they are big on football but tend to follow English or Scottish teams so crowd wise the biggest sport is Gaelic football which I think is a sort of hockey with a hard ball.

Browns land Kruger in a salary injury from Baltimore, sign Mike Wallace, and draft Jones with the 6th pick.

Thats this years dream outcome from me guys...

"And bring me a beast tight end!!!"

Browns land Kruger in a salary injury from Baltimore, sign Mike Wallace, and draft Jones with the 6th pick.

Thats this years dream outcome from me guys...

"And bring me a beast tight end!!!"

I'd pass on Wallace but I am more than okay with the other two scenarios.

1) No QB either in the draft or in FA is a noticeable upgrade to Weeden - get over it.

2) Jordan/Ansah are good for the first round. I'm pretty confident Milliner will go to Detroit.

Interesting possibilities for the round3 spot:

Garrett Jones, G/C, Alabama

Woods, WR, USC

Wilson, WR, Wash St

Sio Moore, OLB, Connecticut

Khaseem Greene, LB, Rutgers

Blidi Wreh-Wilson, CB, Connecticut

Robert Alford, CB, Southeastern Louisiana

Jones in the first, pick up a second and take Teo and with the third take Mathieu... problems solved or problems started?

Jones in the first, pick up a second and take Teo and with the third take Mathieu... problems solved or problems started?

Jones isn't worth the #6 pick, Ansah is better. Teo sucks against NFL competition. Mathieu isn't worth the third round pick with the above players still on the board.

There's no reason to pay the price required to "pick up a second" - this year's second round pick is simply not worth next year's second round and third round. We already have the pick from this draft's second round.. his name is Josh Gordon, and he's a stud.

Jones isn't worth the #6 pick, Ansah is better. Teo sucks against NFL competition. Mathieu isn't worth the third round pick with the above players still on the board.

There's no reason to pay the price required to "pick up a second" - this year's second round pick is simply not worth next year's second round and third round. We already have the pick from this draft's second round.. his name is Josh Gordon, and he's a stud.

Jones is considered one of the best pure linebackers to come out in a long time.

Teo doesn't suck against NFL competition because he's never faced NFL competition before... and if LJ Fort could play for us I'm sure Teo would dominate like fort could only dream of doing.

Mathieu isn't worth the third pick? Had he not fucked up at LSU he'd be going in the top ten this draft, so to say that he's not worth a third round pick who could immediately start opposite Haden would be insane.

This is my take anyways.

Jones is considered one of the best pure linebackers to come out in a long time.

Teo doesn't suck against NFL competition because he's never faced NFL competition before... and if LJ Fort could play for us I'm sure Teo would dominate like fort could only dream of doing.

Mathieu isn't worth the third pick? Had he not fucked up at LSU he'd be going in the top ten this draft, so to say that he's not worth a third round pick who could immediately start opposite Haden would be insane.

This is my take anyways.

Mathieu wouldn't be a top ten pick if he won the Heisman. You need to look at things more objectively, you act like a twelve year old when you find a player that you like.

Mathieu wouldn't be a top ten pick if he won the Heisman. You need to look at things more objectively, you act like a twelve year old when you find a player that you like.

Exactly... he's short..not especially fast and weak. He's not getting drafted until day 2 at the earliest.

Jones is the only guy you mentioned I'd consider. AND a big IF depending on what the medical staff thinks.

The only way we pick up a second is if we find someone who wants to trade up to six, and I don't see that happening.

BTW, were you paying any attention in the other threads? About the only plus Teo did at the combine is interview well. A few OL guys were darn near as fast in the 40 than old Manti. The closest he came to facing a "Pro" Offense was the National Championship game- where Chance Warmack (and about everybody else) blew him out of the play- that's when he wasn't taking bad angles, and over-pursuing. ND guys tend to get over-hyped, or have you already forgotten about Brady Quinn?

Hey if the Honey Badger slips to the seventh round, I still wouldn't be interested. Another sucky combine showing. The guy is SMALL, and to top it off posted the worst showing of anyone in the bench press. Guys like our Greg Little (and any other big physical receiver) will run this smurf over, or out jump him by a foot or two. He may have some faint hope of making in in the NFL as a kick returner.

Matthieu doesn't have the measurables, he just has the INSTINCTS and ability to cover/create turnovers and the quickness to assist in doing so

Instincts only get you so far if you don't have enough measurables. And the guy is sorely lacking in two important ones- size and strength.

Here's a hint- against the top 10 wrs in the NFL today, Mathieu will be giving up an average of six inches and 40 pounds. It will turn out badly.

Incidentally, we already have his clone on the roster- Buster Skrine. However, Buster can smoke Honey Badger in the 40.

Instincts only get you so far if you don't have enough measurables. And the guy is sorely lacking in two important ones- size and strength.

Here's a hint- against the top 10 wrs in the NFL today, Mathieu will be giving up an average of six inches and 40 pounds. It will turn out badly.

Incidentally, we already have his clone on the roster- Buster Skrine. However, Buster can smoke Honey Badger in the 40.

I wouldn't say Buster is the Honey Badgers clone. Not even close. One played at LSU, one played in Chattanooga. That tells me there are some big differences.

The only thing that concerns me is his off field stuff. At what point do you run the risk? I guess much will unfold as 1 on 1 interviews take place.

As far as any physical limitations, I don't worry so much about those because of the tremendous skills the kid has. He can cover, and he will impact 8-9 games a season returning punts. That isn't to say he will have that many TD returns, but I can see him taking you from inside the 15 to the other side of the 50 that many times.

mathieu will be taken in the second round. instincts do mean something. the guy is a ball hawk, played in the toughest conference in football and made dynamic plays every game...both on defense and in the kicking game.

everybody wants #'s.

this:

picture2hft.png

picture1pi.png

then this:

picture3zh.png

as most of you should know...size isn't everything. HA!!

Archived