THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft Options Discussion

VaporTrail

We've made some key signings thus far, but I'm surprised that we haven't signed a CB yet. Even more, I've only heard rumors linking us to Munnerlyn (still unsigned) and Lewis (signed). I hope we make a play for Cason, but we shall see. Perhaps there's a chance we resign Sheldon Brown for cheap?

As such, I'm trying to get a sense of the new regime's direction and their plan for the draft.

Option 1: Dee Milliner. This guy might be really high on our list, but do we want to be paying 2 CBs top-10 pick money? If he falls to us, there's definitely a chance we take him. I don't feel he's BPA at 6 and would be more comfortable picking him if we sat 10-20. Fills a clear need.

Option 2: Draft a Linebacker. As of now, our starters are Sheard, DQJ, Gocong, Kruger. Robertson (for his ability in coverage) and Jackson will probably be the linebackers for the nickel package. Other than Robertson, none of the other linebackers (Fort, Johnson) really have a role in the defense other than being a backup and special teamer. We did also sign Quentin Groves from Arizona who had 4 sacks in 7 games, but I really don't know much about him. As for the draft, Ziggy Ansah, Dion Jordan, and maybe even Jarvis Jones (if we feel okay about his spinal cord) could arguably be the BPA. Our desperation for this position was eased with Kruger and Groves, but are any of the guys on our roster going to make QB's nervous? I'm not so sure.

Option 3: Chance Warmack. There is definitely a debate over how much weight positional value carries. Is drafting a guard at 6 a wise move? I'm not sure, but I would absolutely love it if this guy sat between Mack and JT. Our line was excellent in pass protection last year (top 5, I believe), but average to below-average in run blocking. Warmack is a pure mauler, and we need a guy that can just beat the shit out of people in the trenches. The line would be as beastly as it was in 2007 when we had Steinbach at that position. Remember the holes that they made for a Jamal Lewis that I wouldn't exactly describe as speedy. OL in the first round is never sexy, but it would fill a need, and he's going to be the best offensive player available.

Option 4: Geno Smith. It can be argued that Geno will be an upgrade over Weeden, and choosing him would continue the long standing Cleveland tradition of the QB carousel. His mobility would allow him to run the offense that Chud had in Carolina with Cam Newton. Geno has the potential to be a franchise QB, and I think it's clear that Weeden isn't the answer for Lombardi and Banner. If they want their own guy, Geno will be available to us barring a trade up from Buffalo or New York. It seems unlikely at this point, but definitely a consideration.

Option 5: Trade Down. If the Jets are going to jump the Bills, our pick is definitely in play. We'd miss out on elite talent, but this would also get us at least a pick in the 2nd round. It's hard to say the probability of this happening right now, but I'm guessing that Geno's hype will increase as the draft approaches.

Anything I missed?

We've made some key signings thus far, but I'm surprised that we haven't signed a CB yet. Even more, I've only heard rumors linking us to Munnerlyn (still unsigned) and Lewis (signed). I hope we make a play for Cason, but we shall see. Perhaps there's a chance we resign Sheldon Brown for cheap?

As such, I'm trying to get a sense of the new regime's direction and their plan for the draft.

Option 1: Dee Milliner. This guy might be really high on our list, but do we want to be paying 2 CBs top-10 pick money? If he falls to us, there's definitely a chance we take him. I don't feel he's BPA at 6 and would be more comfortable picking him if we sat 10-20. Fills a clear need.

Option 2: Draft a Linebacker. As of now, our starters are Sheard, DQJ, Gocong, Kruger. Robertson (for his ability in coverage) and Jackson will probably be the linebackers for the nickel package. Other than Robertson, none of the other linebackers (Fort, Johnson) really have a role in the defense other than being a backup and special teamer. We did also sign Quentin Groves from Arizona who had 4 sacks in 7 games, but I really don't know much about him. As for the draft, Ziggy Ansah, Dion Jordan, and maybe even Jarvis Jones (if we feel okay about his spinal cord) could arguably be the BPA. Our desperation for this position was eased with Kruger and Groves, but are any of the guys on our roster going to make QB's nervous? I'm not so sure.

Option 3: Chance Warmack. There is definitely a debate over how much weight positional value carries. Is drafting a guard at 6 a wise move? I'm not sure, but I would absolutely love it if this guy sat between Mack and JT. Our line was excellent in pass protection last year (top 5, I believe), but average to below-average in run blocking. Warmack is a pure mauler, and we need a guy that can just beat the shit out of people in the trenches. The line would be as beastly as it was in 2007 when we had Steinbach at that position. Remember the holes that they made for a Jamal Lewis that I wouldn't exactly describe as speedy. OL in the first round is never sexy, but it would fill a need, and he's going to be the best offensive player available.

Option 4: Geno Smith. It can be argued that Geno will be an upgrade over Weeden, and choosing him would continue the long standing Cleveland tradition of the QB carousel. His mobility would allow him to run the offense that Chud had in Carolina with Cam Newton. Geno has the potential to be a franchise QB, and I think it's clear that Weeden isn't the answer for Lombardi and Banner. If they want their own guy, Geno will be available to us barring a trade up from Buffalo or New York. It seems unlikely at this point, but definitely a consideration.

Option 5: Trade Down. If the Jets are going to jump the Bills, our pick is definitely in play. We'd miss out on elite talent, but this would also get us at least a pick in the 2nd round. It's hard to say the probability of this happening right now, but I'm guessing that Geno's hype will increase as the draft approaches.

Anything I missed?

Solid assessment in my opinion. The only thing I don't quite agree on is the blurb abt Dee Milliner. I'm not going to pretend that I'm a better talent evaluator than the browns front office, so ill just rationalize big picture. Since the new rookie pay scale was put in place last year, the price of the number 6 to the middle of the first round really isn't big that of a deal anymore, for example #6 pick last year makes on average $ 4 mill a year and #10 got $3 mill a year (Bills are at 8, Jets are at 10). So you really aren't paying a # 2 CB big money. The real money comes with his 2nd contract, and if he deserves big money I'm sure our FO will make the room if they like the value. I don't have any idea if Milliner is a top 10 talent, but if he is I have no problem picking him at 6. there's a great chance he won't be there at 6 and about a zero percent chance of him getting to 10 from what I've read.

After today, Milliner has a much larger chance at being on the board, because the Lions signed 3 good starting DB's.. specifically resigned Delmas after resigning Houston and signing Quin. So they will take a 4-3 DE, likely Ansah, to replace Avril and Vanden Bosch. The reason I'm thinking it's Ansah rather than the others is bc they have had trouble with teams running at Avril who's the same size as Jones/Jordan.

IMHO the pick will be between Milliner / Jones / Jordan. Smith and Warmack aren't realistic options.

1-Joeckel, they released Winston

2-Jordan, they had the fewest sacks in the league last year. This should be Lotulelei bc the Jags DL stinks

3-Floyd, they have no DL on the roster. Tommy Kelly doesn't count, he should have been cut last year.

4-Fisher, Jason Peters tore his achilles last year and that's the only tackle on the roster

5-Ansah

6-Milliner/Jones/Jordan

Trading down isn't an option any more -- Jets signed Garrard and won't cut Sanchez bc of cap hit.

* If DET takes Milliner: Cleveland takes Jones

* If JAC takes Lotulelei: Cleveland takes Jordan

Options 3 and 4 shouldn't even be considered IMO. I think the way FA has unfolded so far great increases the odds we draft Millner if he is still there. Personally I would have preferred we sign a CB in FA and drafted a LB since I think that would have a bigger impact in a 3-4. But right now another CB is probably our biggest need on defense.

I won't question what's been done thus far & we'll see what happens. I will offer this...With what appears to be a very aggressive defensive philosophy & much stronger pass rush, ANY CB will benefit. The FO may like what we have without a major addition & just add "pieces & parts". Then again, they may be set on Milliner, a certain FA, or someone else. April 25th will be interesting for sure. I intend to attend that Draft Party.

Let the new era begin!

Mike

Hey guys, Lions fan here.

I was just curious, is there still any chance the Browns could draft a guy like Jarvis Jones at #6 even though Kruger and Groves were signed?

It's possible, but depends entirely on how the front office views his spinal cord issue.

It's tough to predict Michael Lombardi. He can be either incredibly smart, or epicly stupid. We'll see.

I don't think they will pick an OLB at No. 6, since Jabaal Sheard is going to convert to an OLB. It's possible, but the team has glaring weaknesses at OG and CB

I'm not sure if the FO sees the guard position as glaring. Pinkston, Greco and Lauvao all can start and pass protect OK, although I would love to see a road grader at RG.

Turner loved guards when he was in SD with LT though, so maybe you are right .... Maybe that is exactly what they are thinking.

Z

You are an idiot. Give up a first and then give him a gigantic contract? There is talent to be had in the first for much cheaper.

The word Idiot is a little harsh for someone you don't know . If I was Jimmy Haslem Id Opt out of the draft Just Good PR . As for Victor Cruz the Giants can't afford him and have to make some concessions somewhere , This would mean ether talking to a team like Cleveland for a deal or Just pretending its not Happening like Pittsburgh did last year with Wallace , That worked out well for Pittsburgh .

Shaking there heads and saying this is not happening , Will not work . The prudent thing would be trade him to the Browns/Anyone for the first and future concession ,The browns / anyone gets For Cruz plus the giants first .

This would be a win win for everybody and save some bad feeling next year when Cruz wants what he really deserves .

As for the draft its Not That hard to turn off if we get a Receiver like Cruz.

Finding Laurence Taylor is a pre occupation I have to witness every year in Cleveland , The Odds are about 1 in a Million. Its not like we have a #1 we have a #6, Jimmy going to be grinding his teeth and Hoping . This kind of Bad press he doesn't need . Twofers are the only thing that Make sense in Cleveland .

As for the Giants they will be 23 Mill over if they cling to wishful thinking and they will still need to sing a 19 Th .

The fans are more worried that they are going to loss out on a draft party then Thinking with there heads . The best WR in this draft is going to be Taken about 20 , 2 DT are going to be taken before the Browns get there pick . That's about the same as Weeden instead of Luck .

Building throw the Draft is a pipe dream for small thinkers . I read an article a few years ago about logic and the draft , All in all the Logic is it would take a team 25 years to get the players he needs and by that time it starts over again " twice .

As for Victor Cruz Id still give away every pick I have to have him on my team . The content Ifs and Maybe's are starting to drive my up a wall .I need to a real no loss trade . The kind of trade That guy in hell (A. M) used to pull off with little Problem .

Dangle that 6th out there and watch the Morons start to covet a guy that has about 50% chance of Making the NFL roster. Cruz is about the Closest thing they are going to get to a sure thing .

This is the six year facts , Kamerion Wimbley,'DQwell Jackson LB,Travis Wilson ,Leon Williams, Isaac Sowells Jerome Harrison RB,DeMario Minter, Lawrence Vickers,Babatunde Oshinowo,Justin Hamilton ,Braylon Edwards WR, Brodney PoolDB, Charlie Frye,David McMillan Nick Speegle,Andrew Hoffman,Jon Dunn T, Kellen Winslow, Sean Jones ,Luke McCown Amon Gordon,Kirk Chambers,Adimchinobe Echemandu,Jeff Faine,Chaun Thompson LB, Chris Crocker DB,Lee Suggs,Ryan Pontbriand C, Michael Lehan DB, Antonio Garay,DE.

William Green RB Andre' Davis WR Melvin Fowler C Kevin Bentley LB Ben Taylor LB Darnell Sanders TE Andra Davis LB Joaquin Gonzalez.

In six more year 1 player may remain from the current roster 6 more year maybe two . This is just the facts . Soon Even Joe Thomas will be Gone. The Odds of Building throw the draft is Zero to 1/3 ,Of the roster .

Although the draft is entertaining , free agency rules . Id still give my First for Victor Cruz . Simply because It makes us a better team Now and not living in fantasy land ,And not the same team .

I would be happy with the following players:

Dee Miliner- He gives us another Cornerback that will shore up a secondary that is by far the weakest position we have on the team right now after addressing the other areas of the team in Free Agency.

Chance Warmack- Adding a great guard would solidify our line until Joe Thomas retires. The other Guard position could be filled by Ryan, Lavaman or Pinkston. We would be able to run the ball and give the QB more time to throw, which would make us a better team.

Javaris Jones- We would finally have drafted a linebacker in the first round, and a high first round linebacker at that. We haven't done that in a long time. Jones is pretty much unblockable and appears to be a monster on the defensive side of the ball. Adding him to the pile of linebackers we already have makes that position a very real strength on our team.

Chances are one of these players will be available when we pick. We should just take one of them and look to the third. I would be okay with trading down as long as long as we get a LOT in return.

This is the six year facts , Kamerion Wimbley,'DQwell Jackson LB,Travis Wilson ,Leon Williams, Isaac Sowells Jerome Harrison RB,DeMario Minter, Lawrence Vickers,Babatunde Oshinowo,Justin Hamilton ,Braylon Edwards WR, Brodney PoolDB, Charlie Frye,David McMillan Nick Speegle,Andrew Hoffman,Jon Dunn T, Kellen Winslow, Sean Jones ,Luke McCown Amon Gordon,Kirk Chambers,Adimchinobe Echemandu,Jeff Faine,Chaun Thompson LB, Chris Crocker DB,Lee Suggs,Ryan Pontbriand C, Michael Lehan DB, Antonio Garay,DE.

William Green RB Andre' Davis WR Melvin Fowler C Kevin Bentley LB Ben Taylor LB Darnell Sanders TE Andra Davis LB Joaquin Gonzalez.

In six more year 1 player may remain from the current roster 6 more year maybe two . This is just the facts . Soon Even Joe Thomas will be Gone. The Odds of Building throw the draft is Zero to 1/3 ,Of the roster .

Although the draft is entertaining , free agency rules . Id still give my First for Victor Cruz . Simply because It makes us a better team Now and not living in fantasy land ,And not the same team .

Yeah- that's why there were a couple of front office overhauls- the Browns drafted extremely poorly. That can't be said for every team. The Ravens were built almost exclusively through the draft.

Is Cruz worth a first round pick? Maybe, but not a #6. The Giants will swap firsts round picks and toss in Cruz as a bonus. The silly season is in full swing.

Seems that the only guarantee from Browns drafts is that most people will be pretty disappointed with our first pick.

I'm hoping for Warmack, call me crazy but I think as is our offense has playoff caliber potential, but it relies on Richardson being the focal point - that's why I think we should do everything we can to enhance his effectiveness.

There's what? 3 or 4 linebackers projected as possible top ten picks.. chances are two of them will be busts.

Milliner will be a solid pick if he's there - if not I expect Skine and Ward to have big years next season,especially Ward since it's his contract year.

Skrine can be a solid nickle, dudes quick and scrappy as hell - most people are not high on him because he got picked on hard last year but the kid has got heart I hope he develops into a solid part of the D.

Seems that the only guarantee from Browns drafts is that most people will be pretty disappointed with our first pick.

Im thinking that this is a lose lose for Jimmy in his first year( PR Nightmare ) . That's why I was thinking he might go for a trade . Also I just don't see that player at 6 that has what we need . We haven't even scratched Offence needs yet. If they don't take Gino smith that half is going to be heard all year If we don't get a pass rusher the other half going to bitch . Id take the chance on the best restricted free agent and let s move on . A guy like Victor Cruz is not going to fall into our hands , Good teams take these risks at this point Im hopping the Browns consider a Good move.

If the draft is so silly and you can't build through it, then why in the hell would you trade good players away for draft picks

Because the giants are going to lose him anyways.Cruz has been the most under paid player in the history of football . Look at Miami this year If they would have gave up there first last year they would have had Wallace for about half of what they paid this year . Look at the lesson not the Player .

They took Ryan Tannihill with an 8 not so far off with what the browns are doing this year .

Looks better when you look at it that way .

Because Donte Stallworth, Big Baby, and Corey Williams worked out so well for us.

Finding Laurence Taylor is a pre occupation I have to witness every year in Cleveland , The Odds are about 1 in a Million. Its not like we have a #1 we have a #6, Jimmy going to be grinding his teeth and Hoping . This kind of Bad press he doesn't need . Twofers are the only thing that Make sense in Cleveland .

As for the Giants they will be 23 Mill over if they cling to wishful thinking and they will still need to sing a 19 Th .

The fans are more worried that they are going to loss out on a draft party then Thinking with there heads . The best WR in this draft is going to be Taken about 20 , 2 DT are going to be taken before the Browns get there pick . That's about the same as Weeden instead of Luck .

Building throw the Draft is a pipe dream for small thinkers . I read an article a few years ago about logic and the draft , All in all the Logic is it would take a team 25 years to get the players he needs and by that time it starts over again " twice .

As for Victor Cruz Id still give away every pick I have to have him on my team . The content Ifs and Maybe's are starting to drive my up a wall .I need to a real no loss trade . The kind of trade That guy in hell (A. M) used to pull off with little Problem .

Dangle that 6th out there and watch the Morons start to covet a guy that has about 50% chance of Making the NFL roster. Cruz is about the Closest thing they are going to get to a sure thing .

Spelling correctly is a pipe dream for you lol. That was a tough read.

Spelling correctly is a pipe dream for you lol. That was a tough read.

LOL. Generally I wouldn't pick on somebody's grammar. We all have typo's from time to time, and I think people are just jerks if they call you out for it. However there is a point where you lose all credibility if you cannot spell or have incredible poor grammar. That post definitely crossed the point of no return. I had no clue what the rambling was about other than that building "THROW" the draft is a bad idea in his opinion. :lol:

Archived