THE BROWNS BOARD

Receivers

Spinpoint

What are your thoughts on receivers? I should have added QB :)

A vet would be nice,but what are the options?

Assuming Weeden starts....

I hope thet put Weeden in the shotgun 75-80% of the time, rather than 40% of the time.He will connect far more often with Gordon, Little, and Benjamin.Weeden was in the shotgun nearly 100% of the time in college.30-40% in his first NFL season... reverse this, and say goodbye to all the batted down passes.

One thing that worries me about Weeden,his unwillingness to release the ball, until it was already clear that the intended receiver is open. Maybe he couldn't trust his receivers to be where the ball was supposed to go,but your playing in NFL now.NO EXCUSE!! Very painful to watch last year!

Weeden says he spends alot of time watching film,to correct mistakes.Maybe he's watching the wrong film.Start watching film on Peyton Manning.He is the definition of timing.

I love the five guys that we have on the roster, but the problem is ... we only have five guys on the roster. So, plenty of bodies will be brought in, including a decent veteran and a draft pick, but at the end of the day it's up to the young guys we have now to make or break it.

Tight end is thin too, with Cameron and a bunch of blockers, so there will be a major add to the mix there.

I'm curious what the new staff thinks of Cameron though, he could be a breakthrough guy with this regime.

Zombo

I think beyond Little and Gordon we're quite thin (and that in itself says something). Assuming Benjamin takes over PR/KR duties, he's going to get beaten up a lot, so maybe can't be consistently relied on as a Nr 3 guy. So we're then down to looking at cooper & norwood at 3 & 4 on the depth chart. Cooper has shown decent hands and route running, but nothing approaching elite speed - if he turns out to be half the player wes welker is then that'll be a steal, but that's perhaps being optimistic!

In terms of TE, I'd love to Cameron have a breakout season, but we've not really seen a lot to suggest this will happen. I can definitely see another guy coming in here to compete for top spot with cameron, and in all honesty he'll probably win.

So assuming we go defense with pick 6, and barring a trade, are we then looking at WR in round 3 and TE in round 4? I think it's difficult to expect someone to come in and become your number 1 guy from the 4th round, and unless our FO is extremely skilled at spotting hidden gems, it's unlikely we're going to get an impact WR in the third. With that in mind, expect a couple of waiver/FA pick ups before the season - although I fully expect us to trade back for a 2nd/3rd round pick and we won't have to worry so much.

Pre draft power rankings came out ESPN has The browns moving Down one spot .

This is what they said :The Browns have spent a lot on defense by adding Paul Kruger and Desmond Bryant. Not sure how that improves the 24th-ranked scoring offense. (Hensley)

This is probably not an indictment of the Defense . More so it may be an objective look at the Offence .

The chiefs moved up and this is what was said ;

New coach. New general manager. New quarterback. New hope. That all should be worth six more wins. (Fox)

The Sea hawks ,Took #1 spot with a bold move to get Percy Harvin receiving passes from .(Russel Wilson)

The Obvious is the football community will have little respect for the Browns if The Offence is not addressed . Joe Thomas said this week respect was an issue,

Without addressing the WR spot ,I think they are right . A more verbal Joe Thomas would help things along a little but this may also indicate Joe May be looking down the road to greener pasture . We in Cleveland may like the receivers we have but It doesn't mean NFL community respects them with good reason ' They have accomplish nothing .

Can't really tell if the receivers are good or not with all the inaccurate passes. Wish they had at least an average QB...

I hope you are kidding with that. Yes Brandon was inaccurate at times. However, we could have won 3 more games if guys could hold onto the ball. Little could not catch shit at the beginning of the year, and was doing poses and shit just for a 1st down. He did come around though towards the end of the year. Josh Gordon will be our #1 wr for years to come and yes he would be a #1 on 100 percent of teams. Development is key for these guys man, they need to be coached up big time. If you look at last year, We had a rookie QB in system that for sure didnt fit what his strengths are. The WCO is a Offense of timing and rhythmic routes. You cant expect rookies to pick that shit up right away. Our guys were in beast mode towards the end of the year though . I personally think drafting a WR is a crap shoot, unless its an AJ Greeen or Julio Jones. There is not one of those in this draft. Look at it this way. If Gordon was in this draft he would be a top 20 pick, and we got him for a 2nd rounder. We have our stud WR, now lets sit back and watch him destroy some secondaries.

agreed about Gordon.

i also like Norwood and Cooper both. I think Norwood is especially underrated and will be a difference maker this year... i also anticipate him splitting return duties with Benjamin. Cooper probably has nfl ability to return kicks as well...unfortunately none of them are much for tackling though.

as long as none of them get hurt, I feel ok w Gordon opposite Little and either Norwood OR Cooper in the slot...trips...4 wr sets...WHATEVER.

tr3nt has grt hands and so does Chris, and Montarios are serviceable and I expect them to see their share of balls thrown their way...but tight end is where i believe we're really going to see some surprising additions.

from what I know about Chud it just seems VERY unfinished.

I'd like to see the Browns roll the dice on Marquess Wilson. He'll be available in round5 because he quit football after being abused/targeted by Mike Leach.. IMHO the problem is Leach, not the player. He's no Patterson, but he'll be good value as a slot WR / special teams player.

I hope you are kidding with that. Yes Brandon was inaccurate at times. However, we could have won 3 more games if guys could hold onto the ball. Little could not catch shit at the beginning of the year, and was doing poses and shit just for a 1st down. He did come around though towards the end of the year. Josh Gordon will be our #1 wr for years to come and yes he would be a #1 on 100 percent of teams. Development is key for these guys man, they need to be coached up big time. If you look at last year, We had a rookie QB in system that for sure didnt fit what his strengths are. The WCO is a Offense of timing and rhythmic routes. You cant expect rookies to pick that shit up right away. Our guys were in beast mode towards the end of the year though . I personally think drafting a WR is a crap shoot, unless its an AJ Greeen or Julio Jones. There is not one of those in this draft. Look at it this way. If Gordon was in this draft he would be a top 20 pick, and we got him for a 2nd rounder. We have our stud WR, now lets sit back and watch him destroy some secondaries.

True, I watched the games, Little was terrible. But I think Gordon is a solid option going forward. Next year is a good draft for WR's imo. Watkins and Lee look real good to me.

The only thing about running the Shotgun 80% of the time is that it takes away from our power run game. We have a stud in Trent Richardson who would be best utilized if we had a decent FB that could block. Running Shotgun will take the FB out of the game. There are plenty of passers that line up behind center that do not have batted balls constantly. Weeden or any other QB that's playing needs to find ways around this. We need to stay balanced and run with the power formations and also utilize the Shotgun effectively, that's the only way to succeed.

Archived