THE BROWNS BOARD

Is Brandon Weeden A Franchise Quarterback?

AJ Young

Playing in the shadow of an exceptional rookie class with no supporting cast has given Brandon Weeden a bad reputation.

Just because Weeden didn’t shine as brightly as the likes of Luck, RG3 and Wilson last season, doesn’t mean he’s a bust who has no hope of leading the Browns to post-season success. Weeden’s somewhat up and down rookie year doesn’t mean he won’t build upon it and improve. His numbers stand tall next to five of the last six Super Bowl winning quarterback’s first year numbers; did Drew Brees, Eli Manning or Joe Flacco look like they were going to become Super Bowl MVP’s after their first season? Heck, the last two of those didn’t look like they were going to become Super Bowl MVP’s after week 17 of the year they won it, let alone after their first year starting under center. Peyton Manning lead the Colts to three wins in his rookie year and threw 28 interceptions; that’s two less wins and 11 more picks than Weeden yet no one was screaming for the Colts to draft another quarterback in the 1999 NFL Draft. Times have changed; we live in the Twitter age where up-to-the-second news is the norm, where quarterbacks don’t sit for a season, where expectations are high from the outset. Brandon Weeden didn’t have half as bad of a rookie campaign as some would like to believe and there’s nothing to say that he won’t lead the Cleveland Browns to a Super Bowl in his career (well, maybe the high interception number could be a sign of things to come but that aside). Weeden was unfortunate to come out in the greatest quarterback draft class in NFL history alongside Andrew Luck, RG3 and Russell Wilson; had Weeden been able to stay in school another year and enter this years’ draft, he would be the highest rated quarterback on the board, higher than Geno Smith....:

http://www.downattheone.com/NFL/Is-Brandon-Weeden-a-franchise-quarterback

No. He's not a Franchise QB, unless you are referring to his age in that he's older than a number of Franchises. No, he wouldn't be the highest rated QB in this draft. He have been exposed without the assistance of Blackmon last season and he would be lucky to even be taken in the first 3 rounds of the draft this year. He is 30 years old in a young man's sport. If Holmgren hadn't panicked last season, Weeden wouldn't have been drafted before the fourth round, we would still have a real QB in McCoy and probably made the playoffs last season... Weeden sucks and I'd be surprised if he beats out Campbell.

No. He's not a Franchise QB, unless you are referring to his age in that he's older than a number of Franchises. No, he wouldn't be the highest rated QB in this draft. He have been exposed without the assistance of Blackmon last season and he would be lucky to even be taken in the first 3 rounds of the draft this year. He is 30 years old in a young man's sport. If Holmgren hadn't panicked last season, Weeden wouldn't have been drafted before the fourth round, we would still have a real QB in McCoy and probably made the playoffs last season... Weeden sucks and I'd be surprised if he beats out Campbell.

Poetic, just become a 49'ers fan please.

While some may not agree with me because they had high hopes for him to step in and save the day, he's a fraud. He's an antiquated QB that was a novelty pick to try and catch lightning in a bottle by H&H last season, he's turned out to be a flash in the pan. Some may fight this notion because the went and bought his jersey because they liked his name, but I myself can't stand weeds... they are guady and choke the life out of things that actually deserve to be there.

While some may not agree with me because they had high hopes for him to step in and save the day, he's a fraud. He's an antiquated QB that was a novelty pick to try and catch lightning in a bottle by H&H last season, he's turned out to be a flash in the pan. Some may fight this notion because the went and bought his jersey because they liked his name, but I myself can't stand weeds... they are guady and choke the life out of things that actually deserve to be there.

Ignore time, for good. Sayonara.

Why would I become a 49ers fan? Does the fact that we totally goofed up the position, traded the only good QB we had for peanuts, suddenly require me to root for a terrible QB in Weeden? No, I'll not support that chump until he actually proves to me that he deserves a spot on anything other than practice field or a pitching mound... while I said that I'd have to go with Weeden in my "Go, Ginger, Go" remark, that was all in jest as I didn't actually believe that we'd pull such a boneheaded maneuver. Rooting for Weeden is like cheering for Forest Gump, only without all the charitable feelings and sentimental value.

Ignore time, for good. Sayonara.

Aww, pity. It's a shame we couldn't be friends. <_<

We have yet to see. He has the qualities you want in an AFC North QB. Flacco is a moron and Ben is a dick, but they both have big arms and a good defense. I think we may be going towards that mold too. We are just younger and on the upswing. Got to give the guy another year with a decent system before yes or no.

Why would I become a 49ers fan? Does the fact that we totally goofed up the position, traded the only good QB we had for peanuts, suddenly require me to root for a terrible QB in Weeden? No, I'll not support that chump until he actually proves to me that he deserves a spot on anything other than practice field or a pitching mound... while I said that I'd have to go with Weeden in my "Go, Ginger, Go" remark, that was all in jest as I didn't actually believe that we'd pull such a boneheaded maneuver. Rooting for Weeden is like cheering for Forest Gump, only without all the charitable feelings and sentimental value.

Are you related to Shep?

Let it go man.

What did you think? McCoy was gonna magically develop a strong arm out of nowhere?

No, he isnt a franchise pick. Franchise picks come in and stay for 8+ years and teams build around them for years. He doesn't have the time at 30. At his age teams are looking for the replacement they are going to groom for the next few seasons under him to take over. (Ya MAYBE he can make it to age 36-37 and still be a good starter because of the lack of wear on his body, but maybe he doesn't because his arm falls off the hinge from pitching a baseball all those years)

I hated the Weeden pick, and still do. Thought there was a lot left on the board last year that would have made the Browns leaps and bounds better on defense. But it is what it is.

If he was in his early 20's he would have a shot at being one. He was the physical talent is undeniable. He can sling the ball. You have to put a huge question mark with his decision making abilities in the clutch though. He gets a pass for his rookie season, but he will need to be in the pro bowl discussion this year because of his age to not be considered a bust for a first round pick with minimal shelf life. (Maybe that's a bit extreme to say, but I look at it this way, any first round pick that reaches the age of 30-31 and has never been to the pro bowl has got to be considered a bust... Teams can't miss with their first rounders to stay competitive in this league)

Hopefully he will play out of his mind this year and turn the corner with a head of steam and prove all of us nay sayers wrong though.

funny thing is i was watching the experts talk about QBs who have failed from USC today on espn. the similarities (not brought up) between mccoy and barkley are strinkingly alike. they also touched on the fact that a lot of QBs who had been rated as having weak arms and were scoffed at because of it (the rule is if you don't have a strong arm coming out of college it will always stay that way.........which is ridiculous, because as all of us older guys know, as your body grows you get bigger and wider etc. and we all know old strong will whip the piss out of young strong any day).

anyways they went on to say that a lot of top notch QBs of today were rated as not having 'strong' arms but after entering the NFL their arms got stonger. the QB list included brees, manning and even brady.

so............just saying.

yeah we have to give weeden another year because we've spent too much on that position in the last 3 years.

but to all you mccoy haters (and i'm sure this is fodder for PoG) you can't compare mccoy's starts vs. weeden's starts given the talent weeden now has compared to what mccoy had.

it's night and day.

Only "good qb"? Still swimming in D-Nile, I see. I'll support Colt when he beats out Kaepernic, which he won't do in the next 100 years. I'll support Colt when he has a better than 70 and change qbr, or a better W-L record than 6-15.

Seriously PG, you're starting to get me, and a bunch of other guys on this forum POed- and believe me, it takes a lot to put me in the PO zone. It's one thing to have a love affair with a departed second string qb. It's another to spew unrealistic vitriol because you happen to think the guy that replaced him is worse. In this case, stats don't lie, and Weeden's are no worse than Colt's.

All of the above is McCoy homer BS, IMO. LOL, a "real" quarterback that was so valuable on the open market, he was worth one step above Mr. Irrelevant? Take off the McCoy blinders for one damn second and realize Colt was worth as I told you a bag of chips and a coke. I suppose you'd think Colt would be the first qb off the board, if he came out this year. Get real.

Really- how do you know Weeden's a fraud? Colt got 21 starts. STFU until Weeden matches that number. If you can't stand the probable 2013 starting qb for the Cleveland Browns- I suggest- as others have already- follow your fave qbs career as the backup on the San Francisco 49ers.

yeah we have to give weeden another year because we've spent too much on that position in the last 3 years.

but to all you mccoy haters (and i'm sure this is fodder for PoG) you can't compare mccoy's starts vs. weeden's starts given the talent weeden now has compared to what mccoy had.

it's night and day.

Weeden had Josh Gordon for 1\2 a season, if you're talking "improved" surroundings, and a slightly better RT. Stats are a wash. Weeds has the better arm, and it's not even debatable.

And no, I don't hate McCoy- but for better or worse, he 's not a Cleveland Brown anymore. Those that think he could do better than our current roster should ask Chud for a position on the coaching staff.

it's night and day.

Excuse me? Where is all this talent Weeden had last year compared to what McCoy had?? That statement baffles me...

Weeden was throwing the ball to (deep inhale) a rookie who didn't even have a training camp, a 2nd year guy who couldn't hold onto a ball until late in the year, another rookie who is raw as ever and ran imprecise routes and was oft injured, the same TE - just one year older, Cribbs??? who never developed into a real WR, and let's see... who else... ohh ya Norwood - they both had him, he's okay as a depth guy. Talk about RB... Richardson, who Weeden was throwing to was injured the whole year compared to McCoy who was throwing to Hillis who caught every damn ball near him and turned it up field for 10 yards... The O-line is basically a wash as both QBs had equally sufficient time in the pocket. Did I miss something?? None of Weeden's "talent" around him was anywhwere near developed last season. Hopefully a full training camp, with two REAL coaches teaching them offense will help these guys develop. But, all-in-all, I can't believe this argument still exists...

just sayin'

Slightly better RT???

The RT before, played hurt, and wasn't a star RT to begin with.

Weeden has a star RT.

A lot of plays wouldn't run just because of the RT failing to make the blocks.

Colt would get hammed as soon as he took the snap - from the right side.

Lauvao let that happen here and there.

And the threat of the 1st draft pick rb also makes a huge difference.

Colt was a stopgap, wasn't a franchise qb, big deal.

He wasn't the reason the rushing sucked. In several games, he was the best rusher....@@

I'm happy to see him continue his career. I don't get all the fuss.

Even with a better cast, and a cannon armed qb - the Browns are drafting sixth.

Let's face it - the Browns used to have a long list of NEEDS, now they have a short list of needs.

That's exciting stuff right there.

Weeden is a franchise quarterback - and NFL scouts think Weeden is better than Geno Smith due to the strength of Weeden's arm and his ability to make good decisions.

Colt McCoy is at best a backup. McCoy has barely more than a 1:1 TD-INT ratio [21-20] with an average of exactly 1 TD per game, he had 11 fumbles in the one season he started, and he's under 60% completion rate with barely 200 yards a game. He is who we thought he was.

Is McCoy one of the top 64 QB's? Sure. Is McCoy a starter? Not a chance.

First off---I like Colt; I really do.

He's tough, great attitude, classy(although daddy and little brother seem to be douches),

lots of moxie(if I ever use the word 'moxie' again in my lifetime, someone please kill me).

However, I too don't get the perception among some that Weeden had all of this superior

talent at his disposal. What they did have in common was the same horrible coach and

offensive philosophy.

As to '...giving Colt away for peanuts...'---we got two late round draft picks and in my

humble opinion, we were lucky to get that. I honestly felt that the only way we would

get anything for Colt was if another team had two of their quarterbacks go down in training

camp and offered us something out of desperation. People need to get that through their heads--

NO ONE was beating down our door trying to get Colt.

Did he get the shitty end of the stick while in Cleveland? Probably. There certainly wasn't

much of a 'competition' in last years training camp. Welcome to the NFL. He was going against

a first round pick in a league where teams hold onto QB's 2 or 3 years longer than they should

simply because they were a first round pick. Chud and Turner no doubt looked at lots of film

and made the determination that Colt wasn't a good fit here. Anyone who disagrees should go

to Berea and apply for the job.

FWIW, I don't think we have the QB who's going to take us to the Super Bowl on our roster.

Life as a Browns fan.

Playing in the shadow of an exceptional rookie class with no supporting cast has given Brandon Weeden a bad reputation.

Just because Weeden didn’t shine as brightly as the likes of Luck, RG3 and Wilson last season, doesn’t mean he’s a bust who has no hope of leading the Browns to post-season success. Weeden’s somewhat up and down rookie year doesn’t mean he won’t build upon it and improve. His numbers stand tall next to five of the last six Super Bowl winning quarterback’s first year numbers; did Drew Brees, Eli Manning or Joe Flacco look like they were going to become Super Bowl MVP’s after their first season? Heck, the last two of those didn’t look like they were going to become Super Bowl MVP’s after week 17 of the year they won it, let alone after their first year starting under center. Peyton Manning lead the Colts to three wins in his rookie year and threw 28 interceptions; that’s two less wins and 11 more picks than Weeden yet no one was screaming for the Colts to draft another quarterback in the 1999 NFL Draft. Times have changed; we live in the Twitter age where up-to-the-second news is the norm, where quarterbacks don’t sit for a season, where expectations are high from the outset. Brandon Weeden didn’t have half as bad of a rookie campaign as some would like to believe and there’s nothing to say that he won’t lead the Cleveland Browns to a Super Bowl in his career (well, maybe the high interception number could be a sign of things to come but that aside). Weeden was unfortunate to come out in the greatest quarterback draft class in NFL history alongside Andrew Luck, RG3 and Russell Wilson; had Weeden been able to stay in school another year and enter this years’ draft, he would be the highest rated quarterback on the board, higher than Geno Smith....:

http://www.downattheone.com/NFL/Is-Brandon-Weeden-a-franchise-quarterback

Go back a few weeks to see my thread where I compared the statistics of BW3s first year to a number of HOF caliber QBs. His numbers stood up to them. It is just, as mentioned, that he came in in a year full of abnormally above average performances by rookie QBs.

http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25700

http://www.downatthe...ise-quarterback

Absolutely not! You can blame his "supporting cast" all you want, but there was times he had time to throwand make the right decisions that even an average Qb could of made and he didn't. The biggest problem is his age. And imo his time is running out quickly.

Absolutely not! You can blame his "supporting cast" all you want, but there was times he had time to throwand make the right decisions that even an average Qb could of made and he didn't. The biggest problem is his age. And imo his time is running out quickly.

Some of you people just dont get it...LOL

Excuse me? Where is all this talent Weeden had last year compared to what McCoy had?? That statement baffles me...

Weeden was throwing the ball to (deep inhale) a rookie who didn't even have a training camp, a 2nd year guy who couldn't hold onto a ball until late in the year, another rookie who is raw as ever and ran imprecise routes and was oft injured, the same TE - just one year older, Cribbs??? who never developed into a real WR, and let's see... who else... ohh ya Norwood - they both had him, he's okay as a depth guy. Talk about RB... Richardson, who Weeden was throwing to was injured the whole year compared to McCoy who was throwing to Hillis who caught every damn ball near him and turned it up field for 10 yards... The O-line is basically a wash as both QBs had equally sufficient time in the pocket. Did I miss something?? None of Weeden's "talent" around him was anywhwere near developed last season. Hopefully a full training camp, with two REAL coaches teaching them offense will help these guys develop. But, all-in-all, I can't believe this argument still exists...

just sayin'

you're comparison of TR and hillis is laughable. the only wr he had was massaqua and we all know he wasn't a number one. watson was his only real target. litlle played scared.

i'm not saying mccoy was ever our guy. but to all those conspiracy theorists there was never an open and fair competition between the 2. something that might come back to bite this FO in the future.

weeden is our guy and i'll stand behind him, that is until he throws 5 pick 6's through 4 games and then i'll be revving up the 'get him the fuck out of town!!' train.

Serious question for you poetic... what do you know that the entire Browns staff does not know? They decided Colt was not a good QB and they have (I'm guessing) infinitely more experience than you do.

First off---I like Colt; I really do.

He's tough, great attitude, classy(although daddy and little brother seem to be douches),

lots of moxie(if I ever use the word 'moxie' again in my lifetime, someone please kill me).

However, I too don't get the perception among some that Weeden had all of this superior

talent at his disposal. What they did have in common was the same horrible coach and

offensive philosophy.

As to '...giving Colt away for peanuts...'---we got two late round draft picks and in my

humble opinion, we were lucky to get that. I honestly felt that the only way we would

get anything for Colt was if another team had two of their quarterbacks go down in training

camp and offered us something out of desperation. People need to get that through their heads--

NO ONE was beating down our door trying to get Colt.

Did he get the shitty end of the stick while in Cleveland? Probably. There certainly wasn't

much of a 'competition' in last years training camp. Welcome to the NFL. He was going against

a first round pick in a league where teams hold onto QB's 2 or 3 years longer than they should

simply because they were a first round pick. Chud and Turner no doubt looked at lots of film

and made the determination that Colt wasn't a good fit here. Anyone who disagrees should go

to Berea and apply for the job.

FWIW, I don't think we have the QB who's going to take us to the Super Bowl on our roster.

Life as a Browns fan.

^+1, well said, guy. I'm not sold on Weeden either, but let's at least give him 1\2 of this season to prove if he sucks or not. I wouldn't doubt Chud will bench him in favor of Campbell if he does.

you're comparison of TR and hillis is laughable. the only wr he had was massaqua and we all know he wasn't a number one. watson was his only real target. litlle played scared.

i'm not saying mccoy was ever our guy. but to all those conspiracy theorists there was never an open and fair competition between the 2. something that might come back to bite this FO in the future.

weeden is our guy and i'll stand behind him, that is until he throws 5 pick 6's through 4 games and then i'll be revving up the 'get him the fuck out of town!!' train.

"Chud and Turner no doubt looked at lots of film and made the determination that Colt wasn't a good fit here. Anyone who disagrees should go to Berea and apply for the job." Mr Ace. Norv worked with Troy Aikman and Phillip Rivers- I would think he knows what a decent qb looks like, and should do on film. Not only that mik- Holmgren and Heckert looked at a lot of film before they drafted Weeden on top of that. Their drafting of Weedster meant they didn't think there was a snowball's chance in hell of Colt ever developing into a quality starting NFL qb. Mangini was ho- hum on the Colt too, if you remember.

Really, this is starting to get worse than the Brady Quinn homo fan club. Life isn't fair, and if anyone in the league thought Colt was worth more than a seventh round pick- we would have gotten better for him. We're lucky we even got scraps- better qbs than McCoy- Fitzpatrick and Kolb come to mind- got flat-out released. He'll never see the field in SF unless Kaepernic gets hurt. You notice some Niner fans aren't even certain McCoy can beat out Scott "WHO?" Tolzien for the backup job?

hoorta i have no problem with colt being gone. i have no problem with anyone getting the axe or getting acquired as long as they help the browns win.

my problem is with these FO guys )now and in the past) especially banner and to some degree chud who said (and it's documented):

1. we will not add another QB to the roster before training camp to compete

2. we will not get rid of any QB before training camp

i know biz is biz but shut your fucking hole if you know it's a bold faced lie, because people will remember what you said and will call you on it at a later date.

and knowing that he/they said those things and actually did both of those things without an explanation or a retraction from their earlier statements pisses me off. i just hate shady people. and banner is starting to look like one to me.

of course norv and chud and banner have way more experience than anyone here when it comes to player personnel decisions. all i ask is that they just take a course in public speaking. cuz a lot of these guys would have failed as politicians getting caught in the old 'mis-speak' game.

and as for the quiff versus doofus debates......glad i wasn't here for that.

you're comparison of TR and hillis is laughable

Hillis in 2010 with McCoy

270 carries, 1177 yds, 11 TDs

61 catches 477 yds, 2 TDs

Richardson in 2012 with Weeden

267 carries, 950 yds, 11 TDs

51 catches, 367 yds, 1 TD

So, Weeden got

227 less rushing yds

10 less catches

110 less receiving yards

1 less TD

I'm not comparing their talent or potential, just the stats. So, it's laughable b/c it's true???

Hillis in 2010 with McCoy

270 carries, 1177 yds, 11 TDs

61 catches 477 yds, 2 TDs

Richardson in 2012 with Weeden

267 carries, 950 yds, 11 TDs

51 catches, 367 yds, 1 TD

So, Weeden got

227 less rushing yds

10 less catches

110 less receiving yards

1 less TD

I'm not comparing their talent or potential, just the stats. So, it's laughable b/c it's true???

you got me there, no doubt.

i just think (and it sure looked it)weedem's offensive weapons were much more skilled and played better (esp. little) than anyone ever did for mccoy. hell at least our wideouts showed some separation from defenders which was never there the previous 2 years.

Exactly...

All judgements on Weeden need to be put on hold till we see how he does this season.

Not me.

Weeden is a 1970's QB. He runs like he has a piano on his back. The game has passed by guys like Weeden. Nowadays, you can throw like Unitas or Namath, but you'd better be able to move better than them. Weeden is slow on foot and in the helmet. (But he has a cannon of an arm... LOL)

Archived