THE BROWNS BOARD

Minicamp Reports, 5-23

Shep

- Mary Kay says Weeden looks sharper than last week, beautiful deep ball.

- As expected, Pinkston starting at LG and Greco at RG today. I'd wanna get Greco in the lineup, too. He was fantastic last year.

- Hoyer sounds confident, already playing well.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- Mary Kay says Weeden looks sharper than last week, beautiful deep ball.

- As expected, Pinkston starting at LG and Greco at RG today. I'd wanna get Greco in the lineup, too. He was fantastic last year.

- Hoyer sounds confident, already playing well.

Just wonderful to hear Pinkston is right at it. That is very important and good news for the Browns.

Also good news, but under the radar, is the fact OT Chris Faulk was on the field. You are going to hear a lot about Faulk in the coming years. He's going to be a good one.

Browns now may have their best depth since the 90s on the offensive line. We now have good depth at OL, DL, RB, QB, LB, but it's the opposite at TE and in the secondary. Can't figure that strategy out on the part of Lombardi et al.

Tony Grossi reported that Weeden looked better than he has ever seen him look.

Throwing a beautiful ball downfield, improved footwork,not patting the ball. He says

anyone watching practice has no doubt who the starter is at QB right now.

Throwing a beautiful ball downfield, improved footwork,not patting the ball. He says

A year of experience....a really decent tutor in Norv/Chud....and perhaps a little competition from Campbell and Hoyer may help BW3.

One thing we know is that Hoyer is a "pet" of Lombardi's. To me, Hoyer is a below average at best NFL QB...and that is not to slight him. He seems the kind of guy to be a steady backup. But, to Lombardi, if he falls in love with a guy, it doesn't matter how good he is.

Clearly he fell in love with Mingo....but yes, certainly that choice can be questioned, but hopefully Lombardi hasn't screwed the pooch with it. But with Hoyer, it is stars in his eyes. Lombardi cannot see his deficiencies because of his crush on the guy.

Weeden is responding to that....and showing the guys that count what hopefully he is made of.....Chud/Norv/Farmer/Banner...maybe even Haslam.

Among NFL QBs, Weeden ranked 39th out of 40 QBs in snaps from the shotgun. Amazing for a guy who never took a snap from center in college, or almost never. How the Browns looked at Weeden and saw the right guy for a very old fashioned WCO, I'll never know. Shurmur is said to have preferred Kirk Cousins.

Chorv likes the shotgun, running it like 75% of the time. That alone should make Weeden way more comfortable. The bigger question is how he handles pressure and whether he has the dreaded "slow eyes," lack of anticipation, but being comfortable might accelerate his growth in those areas. Sure sounds logical.

He missed a lot of deep balls last year, a waste of truly fantastic arm talent. He's "The Natural" at throwing a ball of any kind, apparently. But he did say he missed throws he hadn't missed in his life so I'm reading between the lines that he felt out of sorts based on the offense and perhaps young WRs not being where he expected them to be.

One of Weeds better passes last season from under center.

50 yard toss with some juice and accuracy

I think he has the physical attributes for the job.......release, strength, size ok. Mobility still a big ?

Needs to improve in huddle presence and confidence. Jury still out on if he has the leadership potential. Hopefully, if there, the new regime can

tap into it

One of Weeds better passes last season from under center.

50 yard toss with some juice and accuracy

I think he has the physical attributes for the job.......release, strength, size ok. Mobility still a big ?

Needs to improve in huddle presence and confidence. Jury still out on if he has the leadership potential. Hopefully, it there, the new regime can tap into it

Sweet. That is what we hope to see a lot of out of him....and Gordon and his other receivers in the future.

Ah, the wonders of no contact football in shorts! I remember the days when Charley Frye looked great this time of the year! But I do expect a better Weeden this year.

Really disappointing the Browns don't have a quality TE Weeden can take advantage like other QBs in the AFC North do. It's almost like tying one hand behind Weeden's back. The difference in quality between the Browns starting TE and the starter TEs on the other three AFC North teams is so striking it's beyond belief!

It's like you've never heard of young players developing and improving.

I wish we had a coaching staff that knew something about how to use tight ends.

Zombo

Ah, the wonders of no contact football in shorts! I remember the days when Charley Frye looked great this time of the year! But I do expect a better Weeden this year.

Really disappointing the Browns don't have a quality TE Weeden can take advantage like other QBs in the AFC North do. It's almost like tying one hand behind Weeden's back. The difference in quality between the Browns starting TE and the starter TEs on the other three AFC North teams is so striking it's beyond belief!

I would have preferred us to grab a TE too but I also think we have some guys than can play that position. Don't sleep on Barnidge either, he is going to make some plays this year I believe. And Cameron is going to be targetted a LOT. Just look at the Panthers last season and they had Steve Smith, but Olson was used over and over again. If Cameron can catch and run good routes look out.

It's like you've never heard of young players developing and improving.

I wish we had a coaching staff that knew something about how to use tight ends.

Zombo

Uh, Jordan Cameron was in his second year last year and did zilch. And his backup, now playing because Cameron is hurt, was called "Stone Hands" in chicago and he is not a young, developing TE. Neither is the third string TE guy from the Carolina Panthers who averaged, what, one catch a season over a period of several years?

Browns are probably worse at TE than they are in the secondary!!!! I'll have to do a survey to see if the Browns have the worst TE corps in pro football. They probably do!

I would have preferred us to grab a TE too but I also think we have some guys than can play that position. Don't sleep on Barnidge either, he is going to make some plays this year I believe. And Cameron is going to be targetted a LOT. Just look at the Panthers last season and they had Steve Smith, but Olson was used over and over again. If Cameron can catch and run good routes look out.

I like the idea, mentioned on this board yesterday, that they'll Nelson in pass receiving TE role this season. That would be great!

Uh, Jordan Cameron was in his second year last year and did zilch. And his backup, now playing because Cameron is hurt, was called "Stone Hands" in chicago and he is not a young, developing TE. Neither is the third string TE guy from the Carolina Panthers who averaged, what, one catch a season over a period of several years?

Browns are probably worse at TE than they are in the secondary!!!! I'll have to do a survey to see if the Browns have the worst TE corps in pro football. They probably do!

You go do that ... go do a survey.

Take as much time as you need.

Then take another one after the season when he have some results from these tight ends in this offense.

Zombo

I would say that only as it applies to the Bengals....and if Heath Miller is Heath Miller and not Grandpa Miller. And the Ravens still have both of their TEs, Dickson and Pitta unsigned RFAs.

Even so, though in my AFCN Unit Rankings thread I had the Browns ranked last at TE...that was only if the Ravens signed their guys...the gap isn't that wide.

First off, Norv Turner knows how to coach TEs. He had Antonio Gates at SD and Frank Wycheck...or was it Jay Novacek...or both in Dallas. He can get the best out of a TE.

Secondly, I think Cameron can be a key guy. And reports out of camp are saying that Barnidge is looking a lot better than anyone expected. Yes, I know, it is just guys in shorts. Still, that's the report.

I laughd cause you litterally copied and pasted this out of another topic you previously posted it on.

To counter your point, Barnidge has actually been lighting it up so far when given the oppertunity. People said that he has only had one ball fall incomplete so far, even when going against the first team defense. He has been winning all his one on one matches against the defense.

The guy is a 4 year player but he has actually only played two full seasons, and one one healthy season. I believe in his 2nd season he suffered from some kind of back injury that required surgery and then his 3rd year he broke his leg so bad that he wasn't actually fully healed until after last season. As long as this guy stays healthy I think he is going to surprise people, espessially since the team decided to give him a 3 year deal.

I laughd cause you litterally copied and pasted this out of another topic you previously posted it on.

To counter your point, Barnidge has actually been lighting it up so far when given the oppertunity. People said that he has only had one ball fall incomplete so far, even when going against the first team defense. He has been winning all his one on one matches against the defense.

The guy is a 4 year player but he has actually only played two full seasons, and one one healthy season. I believe in his 2nd season he suffered from some kind of back injury that required surgery and then his 3rd year he broke his leg so bad that he wasn't actually fully healed until after last season. As long as this guy stays healthy I think he is going to surprise people, espessially since the team decided to give him a 3 year deal.

So, a guy who Chud coached in Carolina and did nothing on the receiving end there is going to burst forth and be an outstanding receiver. Wow. Hope you're right!

I would say that only as it applies to the Bengals....and if Heath Miller is Heath Miller and not Grandpa Miller. And the Ravens still have both of their TEs, Dickson and Pitta unsigned RFAs.

Even so, though in my AFCN Unit Rankings thread I had the Browns ranked last at TE...that was only if the Ravens signed their guys...the gap isn't that wide.

First off, Norv Turner knows how to coach TEs. He had Antonio Gates at SD and Frank Wycheck...or was it Jay Novacek...or both in Dallas. He can get the best out of a TE.

Secondly, I think Cameron can be a key guy. And reports out of camp are saying that Barnidge is looking a lot better than anyone expected. Yes, I know, it is just guys in shorts. Still, that's the report.

Wow, again ... and at a similar point last year we heard that James Michael Johnson was the second coming of Dick Butkus.

Wow, again ... and at a similar point last year we heard that James Michael Johnson was the second coming of Dick Butkus.

Did we? I don't know. Maybe he will. I think he is still a question mark. I was also under belief that he could take over the starting ILB job from Robertson.

As I said, injured the past 3 years. Hasn't been able to play much since his rookie season.

Stats say Barnage appeared in 16 games last season catching 6 passes. Career- wise he has 18 catches in 5 years. This talk about him "breaking out" in OTAs is all nonsense in terms of how he'll play in real games. But Barnage seems to be a nice bocker and adds some depth. I'm OK with him. Not OK, though, with the overall weak situation at tight end. One can still hear the groans in Chciago as Davis dropped one pass after another from Cutler.

PFT has done a piece on each of the WRs, Gordon and Little. They seem off the charts psyched about the offense, about their training (some together) preparing them for all the running they'll do in a get-deep offense. A lot of excitement and confidence building, as the article on Little underscored. Toss in that Bess "runs great routes and catches everything," and a potentially top 5-ish OL, and quality and depth at tailback... and it all comes down to Weeds.

It's a cushy cockpit with the potential to be a really scary attacking offense. Lord knows he has the natural arm talent, which sort of leads into the problem: The new brass seems to think Weeden is kind of "The Natural," a good ol' boy who can (in his own words) really sling it... but maybe doesn't do his homework. Seems a little laid back at times. They want to see him act like a first rate NFL quarterback and leader, on and off the field.

It's the best group of talent we've had on offense since 2007, clearly. And on top of that, Weeden's going to play a lot more out of the shotgun and go downfield, utilize the big arm. He should be way more comfortable. Now it's about his mind and his eyes and hitting those deep balls, something he did REALLY poorly last year (22nd of 23 who went beyond 20 a certain amount of times).

PFT has done a piece on each of the WRs, Gordon and Little. They seem off the charts psyched about the offense, about their training (some together) preparing them for all the running they'll do in a get-deep offense. A lot of excitement and confidence building, as the article on Little underscored. Toss in that Bess "runs great routes and catches everything," and a potentially top 5-ish OL, and quality and depth at tailback... and it all comes down to Weeds.

It's a cushy cockpit with the potential to be a really scary attacking offense. Lord knows he has the natural arm talent, which sort of leads into the problem: The new brass seems to think Weeden is kind of "The Natural," a good ol' boy who can (in his own words) really sling it... but maybe doesn't do his homework. Seems a little laid back at times. They want to see him act like a first rate NFL quarterback and leader, on and off the field.

It's the best group of talent we've had on offense since 2007, clearly. And on top of that, Weeden's going to play a lot more out of the shotgun and go downfield, utilize the big arm. He should be way more comfortable. Now it's about his mind and his eyes and hitting those deep balls, something he did REALLY poorly last year (22nd of 23 who went beyond 20 a certain amount of times).

I think this really is make or break season for Weeden. If he were to build his perfect offensive scheme I don't think it would be much different from this. Add to that pretty much the best pass-pro in the league that will give him time to let his receivers get open and he has everything he needs (except maybe a safety blanket TE - which he shouldn't really need if things go to plan) to big a big success. If he fails and we're drafting in the top 5ish again, I fully expect us to go after someone like Bridgewater next year.

I have this sense that Cameron and David Nelson will be those security blankets, although most offenses send them down the seams from 12 formations (like Pats, two so-called TEs in the slots). Nelson could be that other guy even though he isn't technically a TE. He is huge, however.

The real safety net here is Davone Bess, though. I can't stop saying what a great add that was.

As I said, injured the past 3 years. Hasn't been able to play much since his rookie season.

Based on what I read, Barnidge played much of the 2012 season but toward the end of the season only was in for about 12-14 snaps a game. He did miss the entire 2011 season.

But that raises the question: Why did we bother to sign a guy who not only is non-productive as a receiver, but has a history of injuries? Seems to me this is a throw away signing. Focus instead, this off season, should have been on signing a TE with some producivity, like Oakland's TE last season.

Archived