THE BROWNS BOARD

Minicamp Reports, 5-23

Shep

Nelson's not totally healthy. It seems like half the guys we drafted or signed as FAs are people coming in with injuries? Great offseason, Lombardi!

I wasn't talking to you, I was asking Browns fans.

Zombo

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nelson is still on the mend, but on track to be there when camp opens. I don't think missing mini camp is going to be a big problem...he is still there learning the O.

Nelson's totally on track, just not cleared to practice yet. When you have a guy recovering from injury, you have a plan and I've read three times in the past three weeks that Nelson is very much on track. Like Pinkston watching for a couple weeks and then stepping into the starting lineup, I expect to see Nelson step in when it's the logical next step. There are no real games for 100 days so you don't rush a guy when you don't have to.

I personally think Lombardi is frustrating "fans" who want desperately to bash him. Reportedly he gets along extremely well with all his colleagues, is first in and last out, and he and Banner (the real final word) have balanced discretion (not bringing in new youngsters to replace the promising youngsters we have) with aggression (moving fast for Kruger and Bryant). We've also made the kind of shrewd acquisitions that can add more victories than headlines: Much better depth at QB, a dependable veteran slot receiver, another good nickel, etc.

On Barnidge: His stats don't matter much because you can't catch what isn't thrown to you. We have a coach who saw him in practice every day and thinks he can contribute as a receiver if given the looks. True of dozens of players all over the league. Makes me think of Jacob Tamme.

That's good to hear, with Nelson's height and speed, him and Cameron can cause some matchup headaches down the middle of the field, so you can't double cover Little or Gordon, Bess is a first down machine that you can bring in on third downs, and, oh yeah, T-Rich is a matchup headache out of the backfield.

Zombo

I can speak to Barnidge as I've watched a lot of Carolina games living here. I've also shaken the guys hand and got his autograph on a football (worth millions I'm sure haha). He's about as solid as they come for a back-up tightend. Doesn't complain, blocks the run very well (see the bagillion yards put up by Carolina backs and Cam the past several years), and seems to make the catch the few chances he got over the years. I was extremely happy with the signing and you all should be too. He's a definite upgrade from the Alex Smith's of the world. He's also a very solid special teams player.

Good stuff, JRB. Also, Kellen Davis is a monster blocker, also an upgrade over Alex Smith. Just read that Norv has evolved away from a traditional fullback and uses a TE shifting into the backfield like a lot of teams. We brought in two guys who can block and Cameron gets a year to prove he can be The Guy catching the ball.

Based on what I read, Barnidge played much of the 2012 season but toward the end of the season only was in for about 12-14 snaps a game. He did miss the entire 2011 season.

But that raises the question: Why did we bother to sign a guy who not only is non-productive as a receiver, but has a history of injuries? Seems to me this is a throw away signing. Focus instead, this off season, should have been on signing a TE with some producivity, like Oakland's TE last season.

Didn't they sign like 3 TEs? You have Kellen Davis, Barnidge, Gronkowski, Tannahill, and Jordan. So, the answer to your question is: why not? They can have a half dozen TEs on the roster and see what they can do.

Also,note: Turner is somewhat of a TE guru.....so maybe he thinks more highly of this group than you do. I will trust his judgment more than a guy that does, what did someone call you....just a Madden junkie and fantasy league noob.

Good stuff, JRB. Also, Kellen Davis is a monster blocker, also an upgrade over Alex Smith. Just read that Norv has evolved away from a traditional fullback and uses a TE shifting into the backfield like a lot of teams. We brought in two guys who can block and Cameron gets a year to prove he can be The Guy catching the ball.

That is probably why a guy like Marecic is still the only Fullback on this team....and soon maybe there will be no pure FB here.

Didn't they sign like 3 TEs? You have Kellen Davis, Barnidge, Gronkowski, Tannahill, and Jordan. So, the answer to your question is: why not? They can have a half dozen TEs on the roster and see what they can do.

Also,note: Turner is somewhat of a TE guru.....so maybe he thinks more highly of this group than you do. I will trust his judgment more than a guy that does, what did someone call you....just a Madden junkie and fantasy league noob.

Yes, an "effective" management approach -- let's throw a lot of things at a wall and see if anything sticks.

Tannahill is a guy I'm keeping an eye on -- first team all Big 12. At least he made his conference's all first team -- the Brown's first draft pick wasn't even first team all SEC last season.

That is probably why a guy like Marecic is still the only Fullback on this team....and soon maybe there will be no pure FB here.

I love Turner's approach to moving the TE's all over the place, but it's a shame he doesn't have better talent. When the Browns put Bandridge and Davis out as receivers, I think DBs and safeties will simply break out with laughter.

I love Turner's approach to moving the TE's all over the place, but it's a shame he doesn't have better talent. When the Browns put Bandridge and Davis out as receivers, I think DBs and safeties will simply break out with laughter.

Well, maybe that's a good thing.

I think you'll see very little of those two guys as receivers unless Barnidge is the breakout surprise of camp. I heard he looks good in shorts (DOH!). But seriously, that he can run and catch.

With Little, Gordon, Bess, Benjamin, Cameron, and Nelson, I think we have a lot of guys who shouldn't cause guffaws. Davis will mostly block.

I think you'll see very little of those two guys as receivers unless Barnidge is the breakout surprise of camp. I heard he looks good in shorts (DOH!). But seriously, that he can run and catch.

With Little, Gordon, Bess, Benjamin, Cameron, and Nelson, I think we have a lot of guys who shouldn't cause guffaws. Davis will mostly block.

Thanks for the positive updates shep, Its much needed as of late.

I see you have been posting over here again, are you here for good or just bored with the other crew?

Trying it out. I've been on Browns boards for pushing 20 years now, I know when it becomes rival gangs or cult of personality, all about the poster instead of the post, all the warning signs. When it stops being fun, I just find myself pulling back and checking out another joint. This seems pretty cool. Thanks for asking.

Yes, an "effective" management approach -- let's throw a lot of things at a wall and see if anything sticks.

Tannahill is a guy I'm keeping an eye on -- first team all Big 12. At least he made his conference's all first team -- the Brown's first draft pick wasn't even first team all SEC last season.

You are the one who is impressed merely by numbers. You have acted like Dudley from the Harry Potter movie and gone postal because you only got 36 birthday presents and not 37 when it came to draft choices.

The Browns collected baubles and baubles at the TE spot. That should make you happy since collecting baubles is what you seem all about.

Gordon is 6'5 220. Nelson is 6'6 220. Little is 6'3 220.

I think we're more than big enough at the WR position. Even Seattle can't match that - height yes but size no.

Our 5WR formation may not have a TE.. Bess and Benjamin both have better hands than Cameron.

Most tight ends aren't really TEs, but really big, physical WRs who can run and create mismatches. Ain't like New England asks Gronk or Hernandez to block much.

So when you have WRs the size of any of these guys, you can create the same situation by putting two big guys in the slot... say, Nelson and Little but there are other combos... and Gordon and Benjamin on the outside.

Gordon is 6'5 220. Nelson is 6'6 220. Little is 6'3 220.

I think we're more than big enough at the WR position. Even Seattle can't match that - height yes but size no.

Our 5WR formation may not have a TE.. Bess and Benjamin both have better hands than Cameron.

Good stuff Shep. I agree.

If you want blocking out of the position, stick a 2nd or 3rd team tackle out there. If you want real production, stick a big WR out there....what a waste it would have been had Sam required a blocking TE over Ozzie.

Harry Holt is a HOF'er for sure had he blocked more over letting Ozzie catch passes for big yardage.

You are the one who is impressed merely by numbers. You have acted like Dudley from the Harry Potter movie and gone postal because you only got 36 birthday presents and not 37 when it came to draft choices.

The Browns collected baubles and baubles at the TE spot. That should make you happy since collecting baubles is what you seem all about.

The Browns have one of the weakest groups of tight ends of any team in pro football. The inability to go out and get a good, proven pass receving tight end in free agency -- to add to Weeden's arsenal of weapons and help the kid be successful -- is unconscionable. They did add Bess and Nelson to help, and like both moves, but they also should have gotten a TE.

Most tight ends aren't really TEs, but really big, physical WRs who can run and create mismatches. Ain't like New England asks Gronk or Hernandez to block much.

So when you have WRs the size of any of these guys, you can create the same situation by putting two big guys in the slot... say, Nelson and Little but there are other combos... and Gordon and Benjamin on the outside.

Browns plan to use Nelson in some tight end formatins and that's a really smart move.

The Browns' receiving corps is NFL average. Little and Gordon still have problems running routes, Benjamin and Cameron didn't show a lot as receivers last year, and Nelson is coming off a bad injury. I do think Little and Gordon can get better, but I am prediciting that Little's dropsy problem will resurface this season.

The Browns' receiving corps is NFL average. Little and Gordon still have problems running routes, Benjamin and Cameron didn't show a lot as receivers last year, and Nelson is coming off a bad injury. I do think Little and Gordon can get better, but I am prediciting that Little's dropsy problem will resurface this season.

Yea, I am sure your Madden 2013 tells you everything you know about it.

You know, if we all ranked the patrons/posters on this board like we do football players, you would be an Undrafted FA on the verge of being cut.

One Trick Ponies don't make it in this league.

Why would Little's "dropsy problem? reemerge? Why would you predict that coming off a back half of 2013 with 42 catches and only 2 drops? Did you know Mayock said Greg Little had the best hands of the top WR prospects in that draft?

Seems like the dropsy problem was the anomaly, not the catchy problem.

And if you aren't excited about Gordon and Little... well, it's because you just don't wanna be excited about anything.

that's why you don't pick one at 3.

If the Browns knew what they know now about Richardson, I wonder what would have happened in the first round?

So many good RBs have been taken in later rounds, it makes you re-think the process. TRich is an outstanding talent. It's a shame he and Hardesty haven't been able to show fans the "wow factor" they displayed for SEC fans.

Why would Little's "dropsy problem? reemerge? Why would you predict that coming off a back half of 2013 with 42 catches and only 2 drops? Did you know Mayock said Greg Little had the best hands of the top WR prospects in that draft?

Seems like the dropsy problem was the anomaly, not the catchy problem.

And if you aren't excited about Gordon and Little... well, it's because you just don't wanna be excited about anything.

That really isn't true. I just like to be objective. And Gordon and Little have a lot of work to do to get to the near elite level, although it's not impossible for them to get there. Right now I consider them struggling to reach the average level in relation to starting WR tandems around the league. Hopefully then can get there this season and maybe go a little above average.

That really isn't true. I just like to be objective. And Gordon and Little have a lot of work to do to get to the near elite level, although it's not impossible for them to get there. Right now I consider them struggling to reach the average level in relation to starting WR tandems around the league. Hopefully then can get there this season and maybe go a little above average.

Well, then, why don't you go ahead and give us your ranking of what teams indeed have the Top 10 or 12 WR tandems in the league.

Since you claim to have studied this stuff, lets hear it.

Well, then, why don't you go ahead and give us your ranking of what teams indeed have the Top 10 or 12 WR tandems in the league.

Since you claim to have studied this stuff, lets hear it.

In my assessment, 19 teams have a better 1-2 receiver tandem than the Browns. They are:

Dallas, NYG, KC, St. L, Wash., chicago, Miami, Balt., Philly, G.B., Ariz., Denver, Minn., SF, Atl., Hou, Indy, N.O., T.B. Fans of other teams like Seattle, New England, Pitts. might debate their wideouts are better. Browns fans will argue about a few of the other teams on my list ahead of the Browns.

If Gordon-Little can get up to 13th-14th place by the end of the season, that would be a nice jump for them and would indicate improvement for them and for the team on offense. That's not impossible to expect. Little was a holy terror the one year he played WR at N. Carolina. Gordon and Little just need to play more. Unlike another poster on this board, though, I don't think Little has great hands.

I do expect Brandon Weeden to take a positive step forward in development in 2013. The bad news, though, he's already around 30 and still developing. Browns will draft a QB in the first or second round next year -- take it to the bank.

Archived