THE BROWNS BOARD

Cleveland Browns Announce Plans For Enhancing Fan Experience

tampadawgs

if you lived in Europe and soccer was "the only game in town" I suspect you would be a big a fan as any.

Great point...I saw the Lone Ranger last night incidently...pretty good flick..the guy who played Tonto,stole the show lol

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you lived in Europe and soccer was "the only game in town" I suspect you would be a big a fan as any.

Not necessarily. My cousin, who is from England doesn't like the "preening pansies" (his words) that play soccer any better than the rest of us do. He is a Rugby fan....and has actually travelled around the world to like Australia/New Zealand/Canada to see games.

Plain and simple its all about the dollar bill ya'll. If you are not smart enough to see that shame on you. We are talking about a business not a football team where this thread is concerned. As it stands only the Diehard are showing up and that means empty seats which in turn means less concessions and merch sold. No one cares about the diehards because regardless they will still show up. This is about the chatty Cathy and her bridge club fans. Lets not forget the millions JH is having to pay out as we speak to all the pissed off trucking companies and lawyers as well. FILLING THE SEATS IS THE A#1 PRIORITY.

end of line

And this is the Browns way of changing that mindset.

They don't make money off that way of thinking.

Well, I don't think they are probably looking for someone to come who has an active dislike of football. Maybe they are trying to go for those who have merely a passive disinterest.

Plain and simple its all about the dollar bill ya'll. If you are not smart enough to see that shame on you. We are talking about a business not a football team where this thread is concerned. As it stands only the Diehard are showing up and that means empty seats which in turn means less concessions and merch sold. No one cares about the diehards because regardless they will still show up. This is about the chatty Cathy and her bridge club fans. Lets not forget the millions JH is having to pay out as we speak to all the pissed off trucking companies and lawyers as well. FILLING THE SEATS IS THE A#1 PRIORITY.

end of line

No, SELLING the seats is #1 Priority...because they want that money. And the seats are sold. FILLING the seats is #2...because they believe that each seat sold also represents revenue from parking, concessions, and merchandise.

So, yea, that is probably why they do want the family to come. Because just a guy like me coming will have eaten and drank his fill at the pre-game tailgate, and I will already own whatever gear I want. But, bring a kid or 2 and it is "Buy me those $5. pops, and $4 hot dog and peanuts, and a hat/jersey/toy, whatever.

I suggest any "fan experience" is geared toward accomplishing just that.

If you want to watch the game on your tablet sitting in the stands, or texting or tweeting- do me a favor, and stay away in some f**cking bar. We don't need your "fandom".

I guess that means I shouldn't go to either of the games this year because there's a good chance I'll be one of those sitting the stands and texting during the game. But I'm also 2000 miles from home so if I want to be able to communicate with my wife and kids while I'm at the game to tell them what it's like inside the stadium or for them to tell me what they're hearing on TV about something, I don't think that's such a bad thing. There's a lot of downtime during a football game, especially when someone like me is used to watching the games at home and can flip to another game during the 300th tv timeout. It's not an essential part of the experience for me, but for me it was a little weird during the game I attended last season to be sitting for 3+ hours in a cell phone black hole.

However, the people who talk on their phone during the game should be shot and anyone at a baseball game sitting behind home plate and waving to the camera should be shot with like 1000 volts of electricity every time they wave to the camera.

then children and the wife should stay home....

I disagree Nick. NFL games should bever become a place you wouldn't take the wife and children.

No doubt, never take the wife and kids to a brothel, I have never done that....a NFL game, you bet.

i think the point hoorta was trying to make about the texting and all is if you are doing that then why not just go to a bar and watch it or stay home, since you're not paying attention to what's happening on the field?

our whole society is wrapped around instant media and their cell phones, tablets or laptops. you should see how many dopes run into each other on the streets of NYC. just walking along, not a care in the world, no one else matters, head down texting away and BAM bike messenger to the side or walk out in front of a cab cuz you just can't take your face out of your phone for ten minutes.

THERE SHOULD BE A LAW GODDAMMIT!!

Please explain to me just how this is going to help? It all seems so shallow. Are people really going to now march out and buy tickets where they wouldn't before because they....good golly miss molly....now can get better cell phone service? Or have a DJ playing music? Or have a drumline? Are we playing football? Or Quidditch?

Maybe I just don't get it. Only the quicker entry is something tangible that I see as an improvement.

I think hundreds of thousands is an extreme exaggeration, but I think it will bring in more fans every year to the stadium. As much as you hate it (and I personally don't see the point to be on twitter so damn much during a game that cell phone service means two shits to me either) but there are people who take into account their ability to connect with their phones before coming to games. The same stale music all season long from the same itunes playlist. Maybe someone feels a lack of immersion into the game or they just simply prefer attending college games due to the band. Your not going to find many dog pound visitors giving two shits or having this affect their attendance. But these are the things that can mean the difference between Suburban Tom convincing his wife and kids to tag along to an extra game, or convince his Neighbor Tom to tag along. These are the types of things were on Monday, Larry tells his coworkers about the changes, what he liked, ho it was different than last year, and this word of mouth interests other people and brings them in for an extra game or two each season.

Honestly, the most negative changes are NFL wide (stupid fucking clear bag policy) and I think that these new fan experiance changes, while nothing extremely worth while, are a good thing for the franchise.

that's the spirit Gip, i would LOVE to hear a short clip of 7 nation army's bass line EVERY SINGLE TIME the team gets a 1st down. it's smug shit like that thit gives the stadium a personality just about anyone can latch on to and connect with. since i have seen you post vids of her before, perhaps a quick blurp of Gaga's 'Pokerface' as Chudorv decides which play to call as they go for it on 4th and 1? Run DMC's Mary, Mary as the Brownies have a solid lead and the opposing offense goes incomplete on a deep ball...essentially laughing at them. whatever. make the in-game dj the most hated person in the stadium by the opponent. song smack talk. it's great stuff imo even when it's cheesy.

quick samples of strategically placed songs like that are powerful and the difference between a 40k strong 12th man actually aiding the team vs a pathetic and ineffective 10k strong exclusively-die-hard-driven chorus that is barely even audible on the telecast and does little more than create hoarse throats Monday morn as they try to carry the rally all by themselves.

the Styx Renegade sampling was distinctively referencing that, not the era. it's short...ala 'the news is out....' not even the whole chorus and it works, the fans get behind it in droves. i'd bet there are more than a few puke fans who don't even know the rest of the song, just that rally. dunno if u were just being obstinate or coy but I can't really spell it much clearer. and there's no reason they can't still cue 'Shoot To Thrill' right before the opponent kicks it off to T Benjamin & Co.

to any who wonder why some don't just watch the game at a bar

if they feel a need to text and be connected w media during the game-#1 as mentioned there's no shortage of downtime during TV T/OS etc to have both and miss nothing on the field so why not? (i share the aforementioned disdain for Chatty Cathy's completely) #2 the live experience is often preferred (and entirely different) and it's imperative for some to be constantly reachable in case of emergencies...which enhanced cell coverage accomodates. #3 some people actually enjoy spending money on their team and supporting it as much as they can.

this last one doesn't seem to resemble you much G. stop being such a fucking tight ass and spend some money on ur team outside of the absolute minimum. ur beginning to sound like a stereotype...and i don't mean 'beer binocular lawyer'. ;)

I guess that means I shouldn't go to either of the games this year because there's a good chance I'll be one of those sitting the stands and texting during the game. But I'm also 2000 miles from home so if I want to be able to communicate with my wife and kids while I'm at the game to tell them what it's like inside the stadium or for them to tell me what they're hearing on TV about something, I don't think that's such a bad thing. There's a lot of downtime during a football game, especially when someone like me is used to watching the games at home and can flip to another game during the 300th tv timeout. It's not an essential part of the experience for me, but for me it was a little weird during the game I attended last season to be sitting for 3+ hours in a cell phone black hole.

However, the people who talk on their phone during the game should be shot and anyone at a baseball game sitting behind home plate and waving to the camera should be shot with like 1000 volts of electricity every time they wave to the camera.

Mark- by definition, you don't fall into that category. Casual fans don't fly cross- country to go to a game.

Perfect example: I'm near Charlotte and plan to take my girlfriend to the first pre-season game on the 9th. I literally could care less about the Panthers or what happens on the field. There's plenty of people who live in larger markets like this. A lot of people enjoy getting out and seeing a live sports venue no matter who is playing. I enjoy BOA stadium in Charlotte because it's fan friendly, has fun stuff to do in and around the stadium and is near to me. I guarantee 50% or more of people in any NFL stadium fit that criteria. To make a few changes to get those butts coming back would be moronic not to do honestly.

Been to a Browns game in Charlotte. Wow, you want to talk about an NFL "target market- the Panthers fit the bill to a T. Preppie city. Do enjoy though.

Anything the Browns and league does to enhance the experience is fine by me.

I may not care if my cell works. I may not care about drum lines and enhanced player intro's, but some do. So if that is what it takes to keep some people interested, so be it. It's not like it takes away from my experience.

1.Good old Hoorta "Me bad ass, me hit women over head with boom stick, me cave man, women and children should know there roll' Thats why people like you do not work for the Browns..Let me think about this for second

2.Make game more family friendly= More fans go to the games = more $$$

Upgrading Uniforms= More Money

3.I to tell everyone here we do not live in the 70s-80s anymore

4.Hoorta- Your a piece a shit

#1, #4 Damn right- I COULD hit you over the head with a Mod week suspension broomstick for some juvenile name calling- but this time I won't.

#4 Why because I don't like baseball, or share your uniform obsession? Every team in the NFL has gone "trendy" including the Browns making the native color way darker. It's "SEAL" Brown not some off shade of black FYI- or you want to have every team in the NFL dress like a wannabe Raiders franchise? Dress like this maybe? Orange & Brown stripes- way cool. HAR, HAR, HAR.

steelers-throwback.jpg

#2,3 I don't live in the 70s-80s anymore- but I can tell you one thing for damn certain- it was a hell of a lot more fun going to a NFL game without being treated like a terrorist before you went through the turnstile. Let's talk about family fan friendly for a second. If you're a family fan you had better bring along a shitload of cash. Tickets in my section run $300 for 4- face value. add $20 parking, a couple $7 beers, pop, nachos, hot dogs & souvenirs for the kids- that's around $400- at least. That's the kind of fan the NFL is catering to- not Joe Sixpack and the kids.

#2 a last thought regarding "Fan Friendly", one of my Bucket List items is to see the Browns play in every NFL Stadium. If you live in Tampa, have you seen the Browns play in Raymond James? I have. I'll bet you a C-note I've been to more NFL venues than you & I have a pretty good idea of what other NFL franchises offer their fans as "enhancements" so kindly STFU in that regard. OOOHHH- that Pirate Ship Blowing off a cannon every time the Bucs score is SOOOOO way cool. Regarding a previous post- the average Cariolina Panthers fan is the prototype so-so "fan" (income $150k+) the NFL is creaming their pants over to get more of.

I am not sure if you are being serious about the cannon being cool.....but I like when the Bucs get to the red zone, they raise the battle flags that ring the stadium. I do think that is pretty cool.

Me, I like it when fans get loud when the other team lines up to run a play. I almost always buy a coke in a paper type cup, dump the coke and pop the bottom out of the cup to make a megaphone of sorts. Directing sound out of the mouth has a big impact. If everybody did that, we'd have something.

To bad that many of our fans don't understand that when we have the ball they need to shut the heck up.

I think that "shutting the heck up" when we have the ball eh...should be obvious.

Except there are people yelling at every shot golf stars make, immediately right after they

hit the ball. What, they yell because they are deliriously happy the golf pro made contact and didn't whiff it?

The excitement will be there, when the wins are there, I reckon.

The only improvements I need at the stadium is freakin good rootbeer, and vidalia onion relish for the hot dogs.

A few more escalators would be nice. Well, and make the hot dogs Hebrew National. I like those best now.

I have never had a problem calling out. The last time I used my cell phone, it was when Canton Mike and I went

to the Browns draft party. Which, btw, next year we will take our families and friends. That was a good time.

Oh, and I think Wives and kids should be welcome to go to games and have a great time. The NASCAR track

in N. Caroline has a whole family section. If you'd rather not sit near a nearly drunk moron fan throwing beer, accidently

or intentionally, and cursing Jimmie Johnson every time he runs past (while giving him the finger the whole time)...

the family section is great to escape that.Or just have a section where some fans can throw all the beer they want, and

act like they hate the world, and they hate everybody in it....GGG

I'm for whatever they think is going to help sell tickets and make "casual" fans come back and stay entertained as long as it's not too gay. If the Browns win, we aren't having this discussion.

Cleveland is a GREAT football city, and if the damn team would just win, everybody that doesn't recognize it now, will then.

We outdrew the Steelers last year who went 8-8 after 100 consecutive winning seasons and two recent Super Bowls. Fuck them. Walk in our shoes, brother, that place would look like a Pirates game three years ago.

In defense of us old dudes, if you grew up in the 70's, or before, NFL football was just about football. College football had the pretty cheerleaders and the bands and the atmosphere ... NFL was serious business ... we are playing the OIlers at 1:00 on Sunday and both teams are 5-3 ... what other reason on God's green earth do you need to go to a football game?

Since we had relatives in Cleveland, I was fortunate to have a Dad that would make the four hour drive to let me watch an occasional Indians or Browns game. They both were incredible experiences for me ... but completely different.

The Tribe games ... I remember the atmosphere: The smell of popcorn and roasted peanuts, the big green field, the guy banging the drum, fans banging their seats. I looked at the huge old stadium and big iron girders blocking our view. You watched batting practice, the "first pitch" ... you saw the ballboys and wished you were one of them. You kept score and chatted about the different players, but I couldn't tell you much about the games.

The Browns games ... I remember the football. I remember the score. I remember the plays. It was colder, darker, and all you cared about was the Browns getting a win that Sunday. I got into my first "Browns argument" ... some drunk guys near us were bashing an aging Leroy Kelly and I stood up for him and backed them down ... I must have been 8 years old ... 40 years later I am still defending my heroes like Bernie Kosar from obnoxious people like Ghoolie.

For me, now, the Browns games I attend are about tailgating, tradition, comradie and "the walk" before the game ... but once the game starts, it is just "win the damn game" ... I'm not too concerned with whatever else is going on in the stadium. Although, I miss plastic beer bottles and piss troughs.

Zombo

--BTW, as a Browns Backer Club President, we create an "atmosphere", raffles, giveaways, chants, etc ... that make the games more fun, so the married dudes can bring their wives and they have fun too. And I'm sure the bar sells more beer and pizza and wings. So I get it. But when I walk into that stadium on the lake the only thing that is going to personally entertain me at that point is good football. Last time I saw that was ... well, you don't even want to know.

I focus on enjoying the camaraderie with my friends while watching the Browns at the ball yard. More and more people are burying their heads in their smart phones/pads. There is a dying art in our culture. The art of conversation. Spending your time at the game updating your facebook page and/or checking your emails while ignoring your buddies is bad form and downright rude. If you can't spend 3 hours of your time without your gadgetry. there is something wrong with you. I remember the day when the only connection to the outside world was a pay phone. (Those were devices mounted on walls that you would slide a dime into when you needed to call someone.) Cut the tether, grow some balls and turn your damn phone off!!

TCPO, I couldn't agree with you more about college ball in the south. I've been to games in Louisville, Lexington and Knoxille. The game day atmospheres there make an Ohio State home game seem like poetry day at the nursing home. I've heard many handicappers state that playing at home has a 3 point value when determining the line. I doubt if that rule of thumb applies at Columbus. OSU fans love to smack it up but they have no idea what it's like to raise hell during the game.. To be fair though, all the stadiums I have been to in the south sell alcohol during the game which probably adds to raucous. OSU fans are all about the outcome and forget the best part of the experience is being there in the stadium on fall Saturdays.

Been to a Browns game in Charlotte. Wow, you want to talk about an NFL "target market- the Panthers fit the bill to a T. Preppie city. Do enjoy though.

Yeah, I hated living in Charlotte (way too busy for my taste) but the area in and around the stadium is really awesome. There's a lot of 'old money' tied up in the bank centers so uptown Charlotte is a really vibrant city. They recently just got a bunch of money to renovate the stadium and rumor is they want to host a super Bowl within 10 years.

I'm for whatever they think is going to help sell tickets and make "casual" fans come back and stay entertained as long as it's not too gay. If the Browns win, we aren't having this discussion.

Cleveland is a GREAT football city, and if the damn team would just win, everybody that doesn't recognize it now, will then.

We outdrew the Steelers last year who went 8-8 after 100 consecutive winning seasons and two recent Super Bowls. Fuck them. Walk in our shoes, brother, that place would look like a Pirates game three years ago.

In defense of us old dudes, if you grew up in the 70's, or before, NFL football was just about football. College football had the pretty cheerleaders and the bands and the atmosphere ... NFL was serious business ... we are playing the OIlers at 1:00 on Sunday and both teams are 5-3 ... what other reason on God's green earth do you need to go to a football game?

Since we had relatives in Cleveland, I was fortunate to have a Dad that would make the four hour drive to let me watch an occasional Indians or Browns game. They both were incredible experiences for me ... but completely different.

The Tribe games ... I remember the atmosphere: The smell of popcorn and roasted peanuts, the big green field, the guy banging the drum, fans banging their seats. I looked at the huge old stadium and big iron girders blocking our view. You watched batting practice, the "first pitch" ... you saw the ballboys and wished you were one of them. You kept score and chatted about the different players, but I couldn't tell you much about the games.

The Browns games ... I remember the football. I remember the score. I remember the plays. It was colder, darker, and all you cared about was the Browns getting a win that Sunday. I got into my first "Browns argument" ... some drunk guys near us were bashing an aging Leroy Kelly and I stood up for him and backed them down ... I must have been 8 years old ... 40 years later I am still defending my heroes like Bernie Kosar from obnoxious people like Ghoolie.

For me, now, the Browns games I attend are about tailgating, tradition, comradie and "the walk" before the game ... but once the game starts, it is just "win the damn game" ... I'm not too concerned with whatever else is going on in the stadium. Although, I miss plastic beer bottles and piss troughs.

Zombo

--BTW, as a Browns Backer Club President, we create an "atmosphere", raffles, giveaways, chants, etc ... that make the games more fun, so the married dudes can bring their wives and they have fun too. And I'm sure the bar sells more beer and pizza and wings. So I get it. But when I walk into that stadium on the lake the only thing that is going to personally entertain me at that point is good football. Last time I saw that was ... well, you don't even want to know.

Why the hell would you miss piss troughs?

Well, I will say that with so many TV timeouts that when you are there live, it does get annoying...boring to have to deal with them. The one thing that would help there: Get a real big ass scoreboard....about the size of the one in Dallas...but put it at the end of the stadium, and during those tv timeouts show highlights from the other NFL games. Wouldn't that satisfy the fantasy geeks a bit?

In & Out, Brother.

25 guys firing at a time instead of waiting in line for one of 10 urinals to open up.

Zombo.

For a guy that rails against anything gay I wonder why'd you'd miss standing next to a bunch of guys with your dick out. I'll wait for the urinal.

For a guy that rails against anything gay I wonder why'd you'd miss standing next to a bunch of guys with your dick out. I'll wait for the urinal.

I don't associate urinating with sex.

Afraid someone is going to notice your shortcomings?

Hope you don't miss a touchdown while you are watching the guy's ass in front of you.

Zombo

Archived