THE BROWNS BOARD

Mingo was probably a wasted pick

beefjerky

Tavon Austin is basically Travis Benjamin.

My biggest issue with the Browns isn't with the people we drafted, it's with the picks we passed on (to next year) and not doing enough in free agency to fill glaring holes. We needed an NFL football ready FB CB and S and a G. Why weren't they secured in the winter months with all that money? If you're not going to field a competent team, why bother to pretend that the season matters? Why collect a check as a CEO, President, or GM? They did nothing to deserve it, like their predecessors.

This team did NOT have a hole at G. They drafted a CB with their 2nd pick, which unfortunately was in the 3rd round. They had 2 FBs, brought one in in FA, but decided to go with a different option in Ogby. They needed a S but decided to let 2 pretty good 2nd year guys battle it out... not a bad decision and drafted a guy with a lot of potential in the 6th round. They brought in enough front 7 players to speed up the development needed to switch to a 3-4 which HAD to be priority number one. .

They decided to go with their youth over spending in old stop-gap FAs. It's really NOT a bad plan, long-term. Sorry, we didn't get results in WEEK ONE, but I for one believe this team will get better each week because they decided to stick with all the young talent that's on this team.

I love when people bit** on-and-on about the team's personnel moves, but provide no realistic options as their opinion about what the team should have done, or should do unless it's based purely on hindsight - which is always 20-20.

Which rookie this year is lighting up the NFL that we should have drafted? Ohhh ya, it's only been one week and our guy hasn't even played a down...

Am I wrong??

He doesn't get held on the punt, he blocks it.

He takes two steps to rush the passer, Instinctively reverses when Flacco hits Smith for a short gain and runs him down from behind.

I'm loving it.

You guys arent getting the point that oline is more important right now, I never said Mingo is a bad player just a bad fit on our team since we're bad.

Better fit on an already established team.

Another week, another loss.

BTW, that year the 49ers picked two olinemen in the first round worked out huge for them, they now have an elite oline and likely the best in the league, and of course are a top 3 team in the nfl.

What I said, previous. I'm not about to anoit Mingo the second coming of Derrick Thomas- but first play in the game= sack. He's going to get a lot more playing time- really fast. Too bad Weeden & the Wrs suck.

What I said, previous. I'm not about to anoit Mingo the second coming of Derrick Thomas- but first play in the game= sack. He's gong to get a lot more playing time- really fast. Too bad Weeden & the Wrs suck.

I'm putting this more on the receivers than Weeden, a few of those plays were sure TDs. I don't know why we didn't play Trich in that play that ogbonnaya lined up in, I'm sick of how we're not utilizing Trich in passing situations since he's our best offensive player.

You guys arent getting the point that oline is more important right now, I never said Mingo is a bad player just a bad fit on our team since we're bad.

Better fit on an already established team.

Another week, another loss.

BTW, that year the 49ers picked two olinemen in the first round worked out huge for them, they now have an elite oline and likely the best in the league, and of course are a top 3 team in the nfl.

I understood your point then. I wanted Warmack, but very few seem to think good guards don't need to be taken when you can get them.

That said, Mingo looked pretty good today for his first time out. He had a positive impact on several plays.

I'm putting this more on the receivers than Weeden, a few of those plays were sure TDs. I don't know why we didn't play Trich in that play that ogbonnaya lined up in, I'm sick of how we're not utilizing Trich in passing situations since he's our best offensive player.

OTOH, Weeden overthrew a big gainer to a hugely open Obi. It is what it is.

• 3 weeks later...

Mingo is looking really good at dropping back and edge rushing. If there was anyone on the line I was having an issue with it was Kruger. His pass rushing skills consist of a bullrush and seemingly nothing else. If he can bullrush Oher consistently into Flacco's face than he can bullrush anybody in the NFL. If he gets good at just one aux move he might have had several sacks by now cause he gets close based just on sheer strength. However, after the minnesota game and now the Cincy game i'm fine with how he's playing. He's causing qb's to adjust their timer, Mingo can bring the blindside edge rush. Has anyone noticed that teams don't want to run at Kruger "at all"? And when they do they don't really get nowhere?

You guys need to understand what depth is, I love our defense right now.

It is very evident that Weeden was part of the problem with the offensive line, as he was trying to use time that he didn't have. With Hoyer getting the ball out quicker the line has been better.

yeah i don't get how that happens....first two games, Cousins was getting "beasted" back into Weedons face. I don't necessarily know how that's weedons fault but you're right..for some reason the offensive line all of a sudden looks competent.

Can you guys stop bumping the thread? I was just pissed the Browns lost yet another opener and so I had an overreaction. I actually have warmed up to the Mingo pick a lot and like it a lot now. I just figured we had enough players at that position.

as long as he stays healthy it was a great pick.

Archived